Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Umi Hammer Review - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Umi Hammer Review (993 Views)

I Bought The Umi Hammer S / Umi Hammer S: Specially Made For You | Usb Type-c | Touch Id | Android 5.1 / Umi Hammer S is a Hammer Smartphone With Touch-type Fingerprint ID (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Umi Hammer Review by Mf1gt3r(m): 1:13am On Jul 07, 2015
UMI HAMMER REVIEW
The Umi Hammer has neen one seriously hyped phone, from videos showing it literally being used as a HAMMER to drive nails in, to scenes of its display being used as a nut cracker to the phone washed with a running tap and so on. Very few individuals will willingly use their phones for such activities, but ultimately it is nice to have a durable phone.

PACKAGING
The packaging is sleek yet simple. Like other Umi phones, everything is well arranged and looks quite good. The phone is the first thing you’ll notice, which looks absolutely stunning from my standpoint. The usb cable sent with this phone looks unique and screams quality from the very outset. The charger is a 1A charger and then there is a screen protector.

DESIGN
The Hammer is an alloy device with a removable back panel that leaves the dual sim and micro sdcard port accessible, the battery is also removable and that’s a good thing since 2250mah doesn’t sound like much to me. The display is all black in the unit I bought, which blends well with the silver metallic rim wrapping the device. At the top is a 3.5mm jack and the usb port, just above the display is a 5mp camera, a notification led and few sensors, the usual 3 capacitive keys bellow and a mic underneath it all. To the left is nothing, while the right houses the power button and volume rocker. The rear owns the 13mp camera that looks quite big, a mic at the top of the camera, dual led flash to the left of it, and Umi branding, logo and name all the way down just before the external speaker.
There was something noteworthy I should point out, the supposed metallic rim around the phone seemed like it peeled off near the 3.5mm jack and near the usb port. The phone came that way so I can’t really say if that is the design or an actual peeling of a silver paint used on the device.

DISPLAY
The display is a 720p display and is a 5.0 inch unit covered with hardened glass probably of Corning origin. The display is clear and vibrant, though not as bright as say….the Mlais M7, but it is bright nonetheless. The touch is accurate to a large degree and won’t work well with wet hands just like most phones out there. The 300+ ppi means texts will be clear and viewing angles will also be great. Overall the display is a good one. I however did notice that the display refused turning off on its own even after the 15 seconds limit for screen on time was long gone. I had to close all background running applications before it started working.

PERFORMANCE
The mtk6732 in the Umi Hammer is a potent processor as you may or may not already know, so basic to intensive gaming and multitasking shouldn’t stress the device much as there is 2gb of ram to aid performance.
Browsing is fluid and fast, the web pages are easy to read even when in desktop mode.
The phones antutu output was below 30000 points and during gaming the device got warm but not hot.
CAMERA
The camera unit in the Hammer is claimed to be 13mp. It sure does perform well in well-lit conditions but doesn’t produce useful photos at night or low light conditions which doesn’t come as a surprise given the price of the phone. It doesn’t take too long to focus and overall the shutter is fast. I don’t intend doing much talk in this particular section so just look at the pictures below.
https://mf1gt3r./2015/07/07/umi-hammer-review/
The dual led flash is fairly powerful and useful when shooting close objects, but when a greater or farther subject is to be snapped, the flash can’t really be of much help.

BATTERY
The 2250mah battery of the Umi hammer is either smaller than they say it is or the system isn’t well optimized, because the phone goes down quicker than expected. But with average to semi heavy use, I was able to get to the end of the day with 18% battery left. That doesn’t look good to me, but the fact that it charges very quickly makes it very bearable. 0 – 100% can be achieved under 2 hours. That’s really quick. Overall the battery performance is ok.

SOUND
Call quality and sound is very ok. The sound via the headphone jack doesn’t lack in anyway, it’s definitely not the best I’ve used, but the sound via the headphone jack isn’t bad at all and the external speaker is loud enough for almost everyone to hear when the phone is ringing. So overall sound quality is good.

PROS
Solid build
Metal design
Good daylight photos
$130 price
Good display
64bit processing power
Rapid charging
CONS
Silver rim seems like a bad paint job
Battery could be better
Poor night photography

Re: Umi Hammer Review by kekakuz(m): 12:55pm On Dec 13, 2015
Please where can I get this phone I need it bad Am in Abuja

(1) (Reply)

Innjoo Set To Launch Innjoo 2 Series And It's Big / Ban Placement On Annoying Numbers / Is Samsung Note 2 Worth This Hype With D Present Proliferation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.