Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Five (5) Most Common Questions Asked During A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Five (5) Most Common Questions Asked During A Job Interview (1084 Views)

A 7-Year-Old Girl Asked Google For A Job And Got A Reply From The CEO (Photos) / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / My Job Interview Experience Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five (5) Most Common Questions Asked During A Job Interview by huthority01(m): 11:12am On Jul 07, 2015
Source William Ahmet...................

You’ve sent your application and after a few days of anxiously waiting for a response you have been shortlisted for a face-face interview! Great news!

Walking into your interview with a positive mind-set is just the start. Preparation is the key element for success. You can never assume what the style will be by the person interviewing you but you do know you are going to be tested with some tough questions.

1. What are your weaknesses / What are your development areas?

This is a question that no one ever quite knows how to prepare an answer, your instinct in an interview is to keep all your flaws and weaknesses hidden to have a greater chance of getting the job. Do not give cliché answers like “I am a perfectionist” or “I am a workaholic, I work outside the working hours too” this does not answer their question. Avoid weaknesses that may affect your job such as “I have difficulty waking up therefore I am always late” or “I can get angry very quickly when working in a team”.
Use weaknesses that have no direct relation to your work/profession or weaknesses that you have worked on to improve and describe the way you improved it. For example “I am not a confident person and I found it very difficult to approach people but on Saturdays I have started to work in a cafe and have gained confidence in talking to people and sharing my experiences.” This example clearly illustrates the weakness and the remedy.

2. Why do you want to leave your current role?
There are many reasons and factors why people resign from their job and this is a tough interview question because it indicates your motivations and goals to the hiring manager which could be a deciding factor.
You should never make any negative remarks about your past or present job. Instead you should outline the positives or your current/past job and that you are looking for career development, greater responsibility and exposure. Discuss the challenges you are seeking and what is lacking in the role that you are currently working in. This will highlight your ambition to grow, develop and willingness to step out of your comfort zone.

3. Tell me about yourself?
One of the most frequently asked interview questions and it is likely to be asked at the start of the interview and your response will set the tone for the rest of the interview.
This is not a time for you to discuss your hometown and what you like to do over the weekend.
A safe and qualitative approach to this question would be to prepare a short script beforehand and practice. The interviewer is asking for a brief description of your education, recent work experience, your key strengths and accomplishments that may relate to the job you are applying for.

4. What kind of package/salary are you looking for?

This is a very tough question because you do not want to undercut yourself but you also do not want to price yourself out of the range that the company is willing to offer.
Ideally the safest approach to answering this question will be to carry out research in order to know what is reasonable. One possible answer may be “to answer it accurately I will need to know more about the responsibilities and benefits provided” you could also say “Knowing the reputation of the company I am sure you will be providing a competitive salary but at this stage I am more interested in the opportunity and responsibilities this role has to offer”. These answers will clearly illustrate your commitment and enthusiasm in the role and the company.

5 Why should I hire you?

This question is likely to be asked toward the end of the interview and it is your chance to make a statement. Way of approach is very important and preparing a tailored answer to the company and the role is the key.
The answer should be very precise and to the point. You should find elements in the job description where you believe you can do well and also keep in mind company culture and values. For example“I am a driven and motivated professional that is willing to grow and develop within this company. I have an eye for detail, approach every task with a solid work ethic in order to meet deadlines and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.”

I hope these questions will be instrumental in getting through your job interview, best of luck.

5 Likes

Re: Five (5) Most Common Questions Asked During A Job Interview by Kunlexity(m): 11:44am On Jul 07, 2015
Learning......
Re: Five (5) Most Common Questions Asked During A Job Interview by benedima1990(m): 1:57pm On Jul 07, 2015
I love this write up but I fink some to my best of knowledge needs some adjustment

Where u av your weakness, it's gud u don't use weakness that will affect you job but at the same time, Confidence should never have bin use as a sample because wat employer needs from you is that confidence, if yiu don't av confidence and you're applying for roles like, hr, marketer, customer care agent, sales rep and so on, how will u be able to perform on your job. My suggestion is that CONFIDENCE AND TIME MANAGEMENT should b your selling point and not weakness

2) in area of wat should we pay u,your answer is also gud but some interviewers asked this question because dey want to know aw much you really want. So beating round the bush will still end up with the question "how much should be pay you. Plz be specific". My suggestion is that once you're asked this question. Yiu can first beat around the bush and after the question " plz be specific " then tell dem in range and not specific figure, because if u put in specific amount, if they can't pay you, then you're out and if they plan paying you higher and yiu told dem a very low amount because you want the job, na OYO u dey ooooo.in this question, research is very very important

Plz, I stand to b corrected as no one is an island of knowledge.

One love naija

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies In An Engineering Firm (Surulere Lagos) / Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons / Graduate Accountants Required

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.