Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,163 members, 7,825,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? (11160 Views)

Reasons Why Your Car Consume Much Fuel / Dear Men, Do Share Your Experiences Of Good Female Drivers You Have Ever Seen / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by chucky234(m): 9:35am On Jul 12, 2015
lomomike:

take it from me, chucky, QX4 are gas guzzlers. Its got an engine tuned for towing and sports, a 4wheel system tuned for sports, a gear which can hold gear to build up much rev and dump it hard just as sports does, its tachos run revs like sports yet its big, block shaped and heavy approx 2ton imagine a 3.5l doing 240bhp yet 282ib-ft matched to an ATTESA 4wheel sytem which is only found in Nissan Skylines. Thats what that Infiniti QX4 has. That truck gulps fuel badly, its got the MPG of a V8.
M talking from experience because i owned one for 1 full year and it was meticulously maintained by Mike.

I know say you go quote me with number and figures, I still remember when you no dey let us rest on top that QX45,hmmm now you don shift your knob to RX330.
I get it, change is constant.
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 12, 2015
chucky234:
I know say you go quote me with number and figures, I still remember when you no dey let us rest on top that QX45,hmmm now you don shift your knob to RX330.
I get it, change is constant.

Is this an active beef mode? grin

I still misses that truck sad

Don't know why Infiniti put that truck to an end instead bringing a QX56. angry

I won't mind going back to get a 2003 model for keeps as a monument cool
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by chucky234(m): 9:47am On Jul 12, 2015
lomomike:

Is this an active beef mode? grin

I still misses that truck sad

Don't know why Infiniti put that truck to an end instead bringing a QX56. angry

I won't mind going back to get a 2003 model for keeps as a monument cool
It is a nice truck no doubt, drove it once in Festac.
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by chuka5000(m): 9:04pm On Jul 12, 2015
Siena:

I will repeat, the inline 6 engine is the worlds smoothest 6 cylinder configuration.

Disadvantages are it's length and weight.

The flat 6 is not as smooth, though it is light and compact enough to fit in limited spaces, and gives a lower centre of gravity. It also has shorter service intervals due to it's higher than industry average oil consumption.

Balance and smoothness
While there are differences in smoothness, it is also greatly dependent upon the number of cylinders.
Boxers are one of only three cylinder layouts that have a natural dynamic balance; the others being the straight-6 and the V12. These engines can run very smoothly and free of unbalanced forces with a four-stroke cycle and do not require a balance shaft or counterweights on the crankshaft to balance the weight of the reciprocating parts, which are required in other engine configurations. Note that this is generally true of boxer engines regardless of the number of cylinders (assumed to be even), but not true for all V or inline engines. However, in the case of boxer engines with fewer than six cylinders, unbalanced moments (a reciprocating torque also known as a "rocking couple"wink are unavoidable due to the "opposite" cylinders being slightly out of line with each other.

It depends on the number of cylinders.

2 Cylinders: Boxer configuration is best (smoothest) but more expensive. Inline twins (or parallel twins) have the worst vibrations but cheapest to make. V-twins are slightly better than parallel twins but far from the best.

3 Cylinders: Inline triples are the best here minimal primary and secondary vibrations; also 'optimal' boxer and V arrangements are just not possible. Rotary (not Wankel, but radial or circular arrangement) is possible but take too much space, vastly more expensive, very heavy, just too many cons. I don't know if there is a working example of this configuration. This is true for radial engines of any number of cylinders - only aircrafts used to have radial rotary engines.

4 Cylinders: Boxers offer best smoothness (for all even number of cylinders) but more expensive. Inline 4's have some primary and secondary vibrations but can be eliminated using balancer shafts. V4's have vibrations and more expensive than inline 4's.

5 Cylinders: Similar to 3 cylinder engines in smoothness and cost aspect. Inline is best.

6 Cylinders: Inline is exactly equal to boxer for smoothness but boxers cost more while inline take more space (lengthwise). V6 cost less and can be built on the same line as V8's. There will be vibrations but can be eliminated using balancer shafts and they are compact. This is why V6 is so common.

(Personally, I like BMWs' and Porsches' flat or inline 6's and I hate V6s because V6 only has financial advantages, no mechanical advantages. For an engineer like me, this matters).

Inline configuration for over 6 cylinders becomes too big.

8 Cylinders: This is the only case where V is better when vibrations (very small magnitude) and cost are taken into account. Vibrations can be eliminated using balancer shafts. Inline 8 (or straight cool is too big. Boxer 8, just like all other boxers remains to be ideal (for all even number of cylinders).

10 Cylinders: Vibrations smaller than 8, boxers still ideal, Vs are very close to best.

12 Cylinders: This is where Boxer, Inline and V all have zero vibrations. V happens to be cheapest to make and compact as well. For these reasons, no one makes 12 cylinder engines in anything other than V.

Gotten from:

www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-inline-V-boxer-flat-and-rotary-engines
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by auhanson(m): 9:50pm On Jul 12, 2015
chibabe3:
so high fuel consumption is peculiar with QX4. I thought mine was manufactured from the pit of hell, that ride always ensures constant visit to the gas station angry. Ever since I got my corolla (which I named 'Peace'), I have actually known abundance of peace.

Then you would have known an overflow abundance of peace if you were to use mazda 3 of 2006 and above model
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 12, 2015
Chuka, I agree with you as far as V6 engines go. They are manufactured "faulty", from an engineering perspective.

The Boxer 6 still has a disadvantage compared to an inline 6 - oil consumption is high. Not as bad as a Rotary engine, but as far as piston engines, not the best.

12 cylinder engines are not only available in V configuration.

The W12 is alive and well. wink
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 12, 2015
auhanson:

Then you would have known an overflow abundance of peace if you were to use mazda 3 of 2006 and above model
Coming from someone who only swears by the three pointed stars? :-o

Chibabe3 honey, no go there o, let's keep romancing our 'peace' later, we'll move to our 'joy' (lexus). cool grin
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Eyop: 10:24pm On Jul 12, 2015
lomomike:

Coming from someone who only swears by the three pointed stars? :-o

Chibabe3 honey, no go there o, let's keep romancing our 'peace' later, we'll move to our 'joy' (lexus). cool grin

cheesy cheesy you need to step up from joy to the three pointed star tongue
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 13, 2015
Eyop:

cheesy cheesy you need to step up from joy to the three pointed star tongue

grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by chuka5000(m): 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2015
Siena:
Chuka, I agree with you as far as V6 engines go. They are manufactured "faulty", from an engineering perspective.

The Boxer 6 still has a disadvantage compared to an inline 6 - oil consumption is high. Not as bad as a Rotary engine, but as far as piston engines, not the best.

12 cylinder engines are not only available in V configuration.

The W12 is alive and well. wink

Agreed
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by bolafma: 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2017
nurey:

no matter the mileage your car is packing, maintenance is the key to enjoying it. I bought a car with 300,000km a year after, am still enjoying every bit of it after adding 12,000km my self no delay or issues.

define your excessive speed, I can do 100km/hr and remove my hands from the steering or even bend down and wear my shoes though my eyes never leaves the road and I only do that without traffic on either sides though dangerous but what the heck live life well and enjoy every moment of it

@op if traffic wasn't an issue in lagos I did just buy a VW phaeton with VV12 engine and enjoy the acceleration, handling and the luxury that comes with it and laught at the TURBOCHARGED wanna be speedsters. I know the worst mpg it will give will be highway but with traffic, V8 upwards is a no no for me

I want to buy a v6 2003 mazda millenia from someone that has no issue with the car but just want to sell because she got a new corolla, i took a mechanic to help check it, he says the car is okay but he wont advice me to buy it because it has a v6 engine claims it is not good because it is my first car, that it consumes fuel bla bla. I really like the car but the man totally discourage me please i need candid advice on what to do?
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by nurey(m): 6:15am On Jun 15, 2017
bolafma:

I want to buy a v6 2003 mazda millenia from someone that has no issue with the car but just want to sell because she got a new corolla, i took a mechanic to help check it, he says the car is okay but he wont advice me to buy it because it has a v6 engine claims it is not good because it is my first car, that it consumes fuel bla bla. I really like the car but the man totally discourage me please i need candid advice on what to do?

I don't think a V6 engine consumes fuel but

A 4cylinder of same car will have a better fuel economy than the 6 cylinder

I won't advice you buy the 6 cylinder if much of your driving would be within city and less interstate cause then you are under utilizing the power of the V6

If your area is prone to traffic I won't advice a V6 either, you need a 2.0 4cylinder engine or something less so you can reduce cost of fueling the car.

Above all If you are OK with 10L/100km that is 1500 for every 100km, then I did say you buy the car. The choice is yours
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by bolafma: 7:23am On Jun 15, 2017
nurey:

I don't think a V6 engine consumes fuel but

A 4cylinder of same car will have a better fuel economy than the 6 cylinder

I won't advice you buy the 6 cylinder if much of your driving would be within city and less interstate cause then you are under utilizing the power of the V6

If your area is prone to traffic I won't advice a V6 either, you need a 2.0 4cylinder engine or something less so you can reduce cost of fueling the car.

Above all If you are OK with 10L/100km that is 1500 for every 100km, then I did say you buy the car. The choice is yours

Thanks for your time and input. Do you have any recommended mechanic for proper check?
Re: What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by nurey(m): 9:51am On Jun 15, 2017
bolafma:

Thanks for your time and input. Do you have any recommended mechanic for proper check?

No sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Spider / Honda Civic 2008 / Production Of Castrol Automotive Engine Oil Commences In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.