Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,682 members, 7,827,532 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? (12675 Views)

My Pineapple Plantation In Our Compound / DWARF HYBRID PAWPAW [Seeds & Seedlings] FOR SALE / How Profitable Is Garri Processing? Find Out Now!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 10:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
Good day

I have been reading a lot of different inspiring stories on setting up your farm. It either plantain or oil palm or cassava or cashew etc.

I would like us to discuss about the viability of carica papaya (pawpaw) on this thread.

How viable would it be if one sets up a pawpaw plantation? I know that there are lots of food processing companies springing up and it would be a component of their flavouring but I would like if we contribute on steps to take to have a profitable Pawpaw plantation in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by FarmTech(m): 12:06am On Jul 11, 2015
I'll also like to know.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 11:05am On Jul 11, 2015
Papaya fruit health benefits

The papaya fruit is very low in calories (just 39 calories/100 g) and contains no cholesterol; however, it is a rich source of phyto-nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.

Papayas contain soft, easily digestible flesh with a good amount of soluble dietary fiber that helps to have normal bowel movements; thereby reducing constipation problems.

Fresh, ripe papaya is one of the fruits with the highest vitamin-C content (provides 61.8 mg or about 103% of DRI, more than that of in oranges, or lemons). Research studies have shown that vitamin C has many important functions like free radicals scavenging, immune booster, and anti-inflammatory actions.

It is also an excellent source of Vitamin-A
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Pavore9: 11:45am On Jul 11, 2015
INFOTECH2:
Good day

I have been reading a lot of different inspiring stories on setting up your farm. It either plantain or oil palm or cassava or cashew etc.

I would like us to discuss about the viability of carica papaya (pawpaw) on this thread.

How viable would it be if one sets up a pawpaw plantation? I know that there are lots of food processing companies springing up and it would be a component of their flavouring but I would like if we contribute on steps to take to have a profitable Pawpaw plantation in Nigeria

lf it is contract farming where a fruit processing company has a documented agreement with the farmer to buy off the harvest at a pre-determined price and quality, one already knows what he/she will be getting but the open market can be crazy with its price fluctuations and bearing in mind that Pawpaw is highly perishable, one may be forced to sell off in order avoid wastage.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by lagbaja(m): 11:52am On Jul 11, 2015
Pavore9:

lf it is contract farming where a fruit processing company has a documented agreement with the farmer to buy off the harvest at a pre-determined price and quality, one already knows what he/she will be getting but the open market can be crazy with its price fluctuations and bearing in mind that Pawpaw is highly perishable, one may be forced to sell off in order avoid wastage.

Pawpaw is not highly perishable. You can store it up to 2 weeks with the right storage methodologies. There is a huge demand for pawpaw, you can map your production to the market capacity and grow your production as demand increases. Moreover, you are the champion in the dry season if you are doing all season plantation.

1 Like

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Pavore9: 12:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
lagbaja:

Pawpaw is not highly perishable. You can store it up to 2 weeks with the right storage methodologies. There is a huge demand for pawpaw, you can map your production to the market capacity and grow your production as demand increases. Moreover, you are the champion in the dry season if you are doing all season plantation.

Post-harvest handling is key but how many of our local farmers are into it? l give you example of one of the local markets in Anambra State, lfite-Ogwari to be precise and as most farmers markets in the South-East operates every four days, fruits like pawpaw, avocado pear etc are bought cheapest in the evenings when the market is rounding off because it makes no sense for their owners to take back home when they would be harvesting another set of fruits in 3 days time for the next market neither do most know how to preserve its freshness for the next market day. Even at the wholesale fruit market in Ketu/Mile 12 in Lagos we tend to see lots of wastages.

Just as there is huge demand for pawpaw so is there for mango but the percentage that goes to waste is scaring.

Like banana, pawpaw will continue to ripen at room temperature but with proper knowledge one can have it stored in a metal box which exteriorly has jute bag glued to it and permanently moist by water and it would preserves it freshness for up to a month.

3 Likes

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by mrvitalis(m): 2:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
I love this trend... . I plan to go I into PAWPAW farming to raise money to start my pig farm hope I will have market
I plan to plant between 1000 to 2000 trees in my family land in I'm state and hope to market in rivers state
Please if any one have any advice please let me know I will really appreciate
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Pavore9: 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
mrvitalis:
I love this trend... . I plan to go I into PAWPAW farming to raise money to start my pig farm hope I will have market
I plan to plant between 1000 to 2000 trees in my family land in I'm state and hope to market in rivers state
Please if any one have any advice please let me know I will really appreciate

Which part of Imo state?
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by mrvitalis(m): 3:17pm On Jul 11, 2015
Pavore9:

Which part of Imo state?
Aboh Mbaise

1 Like

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Pavore9: 3:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
mrvitalis:

Aboh Mbaise

My cousins are from Ogbor, Ahiazu Mbaise. Just get the best variety, in terms of sweetness and high yielding seeds. Go to PH and research on the market, the source(s) where the pawpaw is being supplied from and at what rate, also while there check on veggies like lettuce and fresh parsley, coriander as these are salad veggies that command higher prices and can be harvested with 2 month.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2015
Pavore9:

Post-harvest handling is key but how many of our local farmers are into it? l give you example of one of the local markets in Anambra State, lfite-Ogwari to be precise and as most farmers markets in the South-East operates every four days, fruits like pawpaw, avocado pear etc are bought cheapest in the evenings when the market is rounding off because it makes no sense for their owners to take back home when they would be harvesting another set of fruits in 3 days time for the next market neither do most know how to preserve its freshness for the next market day. Even at the wholesale fruit market in Ketu/Mile 12 in Lagos we tend to see lots of wastages.

Just as there is huge demand for pawpaw so is there for mango but the percentage that goes to waste is scaring.

Like banana, pawpaw will continue to ripen at room temperature but with proper knowledge one can have it stored in a metal box which exteriorly has jute bag glued to it and permanently moist by water and it would preserves it freshness for up to a month.

Nice idea on how to preserve the fruit so that it does not go to waste.

I was thinking along the line of selling to food processing companies as that would be guaranteed income. But one must start with a sizeable farmland like 3 to 5 acres and also start to seek out the companies b4 the fruits ripen.

Anyone knows a pawpaw plantation in the southwest or east. I would like to visit one.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2015
INFOTECH2:

Nice idea on how to preserve the fruit so that it does not go to waste.

I was thinking along the line of selling to food processing companies as that would be guaranteed income. But one must start with a sizeable farmland like 3 to 5 acres and also start to seek out the companies b4 the fruits ripen.

Anyone knows a pawpaw plantation in the southwest or east. I would like to visit one.

Anyone knows a pawpaw plantation in the southwest or east. I would like to visit one. [/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by glowdot4: 8:27pm On Oct 17, 2015
I 've some pawpaw seeds to plant but I dnt want to make a mistake in planting. I mean, season , soil , and mode of planting. can any one speak from practical experience please?

thank u.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by PAL123: 8:44am On Oct 19, 2015
@ INFOTECH2, I am into Pawpaw cultivation, I have close to 100 stands of pawpaw on my farm in Ogun state cia Idiroko road. It is dwarf in nature and have just started fruiting. It is a 9 month variety.

2 Likes

Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
PAL123:
@ INFOTECH2, I am into Pawpaw cultivation, I have close to 100 stands of pawpaw on my farm in Ogun state cia Idiroko road. It is dwarf in nature and have just started fruiting. It is a 9 month variety.

That's very nice. Where along idiroko road is your farm? Mine is at Agosu village along idiroko road too.
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Newway2(m): 6:39am On Mar 15, 2016
Pls how can I get pawpaw seeds from u? What's d variety/species that u planted?

PAL123:
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by ayufun: 6:09am On May 21, 2017
All you need to know about pawpaw (papaya) from cultivation to processing, nutrition, uses, health benefits, Scientific studies on pawpaw and likely side effects.
http://www.healthriskfood.com/2016/12/pawpaw-fruit-recipes-nutritional-facts.html
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by onyehi: 7:08am On Sep 11, 2017
Pls how can one locate a company who can buy pawpaw in large quantity, pls anyone who knows should contact me 07030561951
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 9:29am On Sep 11, 2017
Good work

I was in Ghana this year for agric tour & biz meeting and l saw lots of pawpaw plantation where they export to Europe in containers

An organization base in Ghana coordinate the farming and export

They have clusters of farmers in the same area doing major single crop like pawpaw so the buyers come to that area bearing in mind that there is huge quantities on ground.

We are working on transAfrica agro trading

The organization also help to source for grants which they collect 7% when grant is given out

The local demand is huge and any serious farmer can take advantage but must first study the existing structure and draft a strategy of how to enter the market and how to sustain or remain in the business

I am a farmer & consultant in agriculture
Call & WhatsApp 08120528950
boluwagoldensolution@gmail.com
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Walexz02(m): 10:04am On Sep 11, 2017
When you are bough with your research We can help you fabricate processing equipment to suit your demand
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by INFOTECH2: 5:24pm On Feb 15, 2018
PAL123:

Hello

Are you still into pawpaw planting?
Kindly let me know
Re: Pawpaw Plantation - How Profitable Is It? by Focusmind: 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2018
PAL123:

Bro, how do I get this dwarf variety? I want to cultivate in my compound . About three of them

(1) (Reply)

All Farmers Association Of Nigeria (AFAN) Loan Approval SMS, Real Or Genuine? / Going Further With Sack Farming / Sell Your Products Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.