Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States (17960 Views)

Manana, South African Minister Beats Up Lady For Calling Him Gay (Photos, Video) / Anti-Trump Protester Sets Himself On Fire Outside Trump's Hotel In DC (VIDEO) / Head Of Russia's Anti-corruption Agency Is Found With $122M In CASH In His House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by alsudaes1(m): 11:48am On Jul 12, 2015
UnknownT:
With the way the current government is romancing with US, let's see how things pan out undecided

this is actually my fear!!!
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by free2ryhme: 11:48am On Jul 12, 2015
Built2last:
The United States government has vowed to continue to press the Nigerian government to reverse its anti-gay law.
The US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said this during a live-web chat with journalists in Washington. Our correspondent monitored the web chat in Abuja.

Thomas-Greenfield also said that America was not bothered that Chinese companies were fast taking over the African market from their US counterparts.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on January 7, 2014 assented to the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill 2013 which criminalises homosexuality in the country.

On January 14 when it became public that the President had signed the bill into law, the US, Canada and the European Union openly expressed reservations over the law.

Thomas-Greenfield, who said the US had adopted the protection of the rights of same-sex people as part of its foreign policies, vowed that Washington would continue to mount and sustain pressure on Nigeria and other countries to reverse their laws against the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community.

She said, “As a government, it is one of the highest priorities and strongest values that discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be available to everybody.

“As a policy, we will continue to press the government of Nigeria as well as other governments who have provided legislation that discriminate against the LGBT community.”

Thomas-Greenfiled, who did not agree that pressuring Nigeria to reverse the anti-gay law amounted to interference, said the country and Uganda had the hardest legislation on the gay community.

She said, “This is very much a work in progress, but I think you will agree with me that the law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating against this community but also people who associate with them.

“So we will continue to press the government, to press the legislature to change these laws and provide human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of their sexual orientation.”

She, however, did not disclose if the US would impose sanctions on the countries with anti-gay laws to achieve its objectives.

Thomas-Greenfield was optimistic that the U.S would win the fight to protect the LGBT community.

She said, “With what is happening in the US, you can determine how far we are willing to go. We strongly believe human rights for all people and we are particularly opposed to legislation that actually targets the gay community for discrimination. So we are prepared to push this as a policy not just in Africa but across the world.”

www.naij.com/59055.html

They cant infect us with their disease called gay, lesbianism and transgender
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Vveni(m): 11:48am On Jul 12, 2015
How I wish Russia can rise again to be the world's undisputed super power... We need to severe our diplomatic ties with this America of a demonic country.... Why are they trying to go contrary to God in all they do nowadays
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by strawberryinc(m): 11:49am On Jul 12, 2015
are they mad, whats theirs with ours...
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Temysteve(m): 11:49am On Jul 12, 2015
E be like say thunder wan fire dis American govt nd their president. If care is not taking dey will all perish in a twinkle of an eye
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by datcha(m): 11:49am On Jul 12, 2015
US intenton will not come to past.we NIGERIAN rebuke it.God is time they face your annoyance.
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2015
We do not want this rubbish!!!!
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by emeka2847: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2015
So human right and freedom is all about same sex marriage? They should promote another type of human right jor
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by eleko1: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2015
Waste of time.They have meet a wrong candidate to press dat rubbish with.BUHARI will not accede to their demonic wish.Animals
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Atlantian: 11:51am On Jul 12, 2015
Gay and Lesbians should be allowed to marry in Nigeria. We must stop intruding into people's private sex orientation. People have the right to fucck which ever hole they chose.

1 Like

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by searay(m): 11:52am On Jul 12, 2015
Burger01:

You'll be the brainless one because I don't see your president assenting to such nonsensesmiley
no I will not because my president GEJ DID NOT AND WILL NOT
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 12, 2015
Freemanan:
grin DEAR GUYS,

WE DON DIE..... MY A-HOLE IS UNDER THREAT...

SENATE PLEASE...
grin
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by nortcentrallord(m): 11:52am On Jul 12, 2015
CHUMZY421:
Wow datz very interesting

What is the meaning of the nonsense you are spewing? Don't you have SHAME? Huh! We are Africans and we have a culture, we have pride and we have Family values. You are shameless. Why not open up and tell your family you are a lezbian? Disgusting ilks!
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by columbus007(m): 11:52am On Jul 12, 2015
Has anybody even seen a male horse marrying a male horse? Stallion vs stallion,now d US now want mr syvester to now be married to another mr syvester as man and wife,madness in most discreet grin
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by dotcomnamename: 11:53am On Jul 12, 2015
[size=20pt]IN NIGERIA? USA YOU'RE CRAZY.. USA, YOU ARE MAD. USA I REPEAT, YOU ARE MAD.

GAY LAW KO, LESBIAN LAW NI. NONSENSE [/size]

sad
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by slap1(m): 11:53am On Jul 12, 2015
They'll use Boko Haram as a bargaining chip because they sponsor them. Reverse Gay law or face Boko Haram forever.

1 Like

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 12, 2015
Mumu President and First class Brainless Daura President who can't wear common boxers to hold his uncircumcised tiny dic in place making promises he can't fulfill. This Zoo called Nigeria will fall if anyone try any gay nonsense here.

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by jevic(m): 11:54am On Jul 12, 2015
USA can go to hell with their useless gay law. Hopeless nation.
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by ehis05(m): 11:55am On Jul 12, 2015
Over our dead body....gays shud do dere hidden...where no eyes can see...nobody stops dem 4rm doin dat...buh sayin u wey b man 1 marry man 4 dis country...d thunder wey go fire u still dey gym
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Amazo: 11:55am On Jul 12, 2015
Built2last:
The United States government has vowed to continue to press the Nigerian government to reverse its anti-gay law.
The US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said this during a live-web chat with journalists in Washington. Our correspondent monitored the web chat in Abuja.

Thomas-Greenfield also said that America was not bothered that Chinese companies were fast taking over the African market from their US counterparts.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on January 7, 2014 assented to the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill 2013 which criminalises homosexuality in the country.

On January 14 when it became public that the President had signed the bill into law, the US, Canada and the European Union openly expressed reservations over the law.

Thomas-Greenfield, who said the US had adopted the protection of the rights of same-sex people as part of its foreign policies, vowed that Washington would continue to mount and sustain pressure on Nigeria and other countries to reverse their laws against the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community.

She said, “As a government, it is one of the highest priorities and strongest values that discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be available to everybody.

“As a policy, we will continue to press the government of Nigeria as well as other governments who have provided legislation that discriminate against the LGBT community.”

Thomas-Greenfiled, who did not agree that pressuring Nigeria to reverse the anti-gay law amounted to interference, said the country and Uganda had the hardest legislation on the gay community.

She said, “This is very much a work in progress, but I think you will agree with me that the law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating against this community but also people who associate with them.

“So we will continue to press the government, to press the legislature to change these laws and provide human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of their sexual orientation.”

She, however, did not disclose if the US would impose sanctions on the countries with anti-gay laws to achieve its objectives.

Thomas-Greenfield was optimistic that the U.S would win the fight to protect the LGBT community.

She said, “With what is happening in the US, you can determine how far we are willing to go. We strongly believe human rights for all people and we are particularly opposed to legislation that actually targets the gay community for discrimination. So we are prepared to push this as a policy not just in Africa but across the world.”

www.naij.com/59055.html

When they couldn't even pressure a secular political weakling like GEJ to not approve the law, do they think they have a speck of chance with a religious political heavyweight like PMB? Linda Thomas-Greenfield and other US diplomats assigned to Africa need to stop smoking weed and the US Congress and Obama in particular angry can keep on dreaming undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Boxer007(m): 11:56am On Jul 12, 2015
Freemanan:
grin
DEAR GUYS,

WE DON DIE..... MY A-HOLE IS UNDER THREAT...

SENATE PLEASE...

Boo boo, your ass-hole will be in good hands. Boo boo are you free this evening?
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Jollymich(m): 11:56am On Jul 12, 2015
We may look into it with a view to review it sanction but not until Americans formulate the law that will allow a man to marry more than one wife at a time or as many as he wishes without being charged for bigamy
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by happney65: 11:57am On Jul 12, 2015
When you discriminate against Homosexuals,It's just the same way when White racists discriminate against Black People..Just the same,Why should i be bothered about what two consenting adults do with their sexual life?I just dont get it..I dont..Its just like the Government telling me i must not suck my wife's pusy..Just the same..If you want to be Gay,its your problem not mine..Abi wetin sef...I tire for we people ohh..Quote me and say rubbish and i would give it to you badly..Hypocrites

4 Likes

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by mikron(m): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2015
USA the Antichrist of the end time the bible predicted. Always forcing people and nations to do their bidding. Olohun maje
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by HzRF(m): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2015
UnknownT:
With the way the current government is romancing with US, let's see how things pan out undecided
Jonathan called dia bluff off
Nd dey stop buying our oil and refuse to sell weapons under guise of human rights
Once d East (Russia hitherto Ukraine, China) supply us ammunition within 6 weeks it was cleared in the eyes
Nw buhari came in (after GEJ foil their prophecy) they start romancing him d career praise singers says our image is changing
Even saddle with debt running into trillions of dollars dey still find it possible to donate $5m
And some think Na love dey love us reach dat level?
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by oseniafeez(m): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2015
What are they smoking in that country,are they mad..what's their business with Nigeria not agreeing with gay marriage.Even animals will never do homosexual..(END OF THE WORLD)
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Phrank10001(m): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2015
Wats dis shit of a psn talking abt or is she high on rochi?...
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by klax(m): 11:59am On Jul 12, 2015
I guess US are mad the shameless idiots. Let them come and presure Nigeria. Oh oh I understand is that the reason they supported GMB simply because Gej refused to accept their gay madness now I can understand.

Obama I don need to curse you already you are cursed your end will be brutal I bet you. Now listen all ye sodomite boloks we are ready for you I will register my name to a new group planning underground waiting to see such law pass here to unleash terror upon you all sodomites I bet you all of you will die in thousands boko haram menace will be too small to what will befall you gay in Nigeria just watch.

The group are on ground all plans well executed and done all that left is waiting and watching the hurricane will hit you all like Tsunami a couple of names already in the list. You want to destroy Nigeria but before you do you will be destroy remember here is not America where one police will be doing investigation get that right this is not a threat but reality when boko haram said it then people were laughing, when militant said it then people were laughing here is it again pls laugh well ok. God punish America and may the wrought of God fall on Obama and all ye ones here.

I just hate gays with passion I just pray one don't mistakenly cross my way I swear he is dead man. I will so brutalised him and change his look if he manage to survive he would live like a normal person again for the rest of his life. And I mean it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by brilliant5(m): 11:59am On Jul 12, 2015
de re mad. in fact I support ISIS. de shld shake US again. rubbish
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Crr7: 11:59am On Jul 12, 2015
America again! You like them for one thing and hate them for another. But on LGBT in Nigeria, its definitely a No.
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Boxer007(m): 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
Built2last:

www.naij.com/59055.html

Yaaaaaaaay. I am so happy, Thank you America. Gay marriage legalized in all 51 states in America and hope Gay wedding will now be legalized here in Nigeria. The opposte sex are disgusting and can now go to hell. Thanks OP for reverting. You made my day
Re: ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States by Darlinhercules(m): 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
They can not pressurise us, no be by force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

10 To 50 People Were Killed At Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital - European Intelligence / Firefighters Battle Extreme Wildfires In France( Pix, Video) / Ghana To Jail Pastors, Prophets Who Give Negative Prophecies To The Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.