Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Nicknames: What Do You Think? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nicknames: What Do You Think? (609 Views)

These Funny Nicknames Nigerian "Agberos" Call Money Will Make You Laugh / Secondary School Days: The Nicknames You Gave Your Teachers / Nicknames That You Never Do Without Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nicknames: What Do You Think? by browniecay: 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
A nickname is a name added to or substituted for the proper name of an individual. It is often considered desirable, symbolizing a kind of acceptance but can sometimes be a form of ridicule. The idea of Nickname is not uncommon in our contemporary society. I have seen several nicknames and sometimes it puzzles me to find out that the bearer only answer the nickname but doesn't not the meaning. And other may not be able to give account of how the nickname came about.

My questions are,

1. Why do people have nicknames?
2. Do their nickname contains any meaning?
3. Is there any religious implication?

Finally, if you have one, pls drop it and give the meaning and reason behind it.
Re: Nicknames: What Do You Think? by Abdullateef77(m): 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
Re: Nicknames: What Do You Think? by toys2seven(m): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2015
80% of nicknames don't have meaning.
It's either a short form of a name, Liz, Jay, Nat, etc or
Personality Shortingo, Paw paw, tallest, etc or Character Scorpion, Gentle lolo, Pastor, badoo, etc.

That's my contribution.

1 Like

Re: Nicknames: What Do You Think? by Suspect33(m): 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2015
Wat is dis one saying undecided
Re: Nicknames: What Do You Think? by Haywhymido(m): 1:03pm On Jul 12, 2015
well as for me, hawhymido is the short combination of two of my names

1 Like

Re: Nicknames: What Do You Think? by browniecay: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2015
toys2seven:
80% of nicknames don't have meaning.
It's either a short form of a name, Liz, Jay, Nat, etc or
Personality Shortingo, Paw paw, tallest, etc or Character Scorpion, Gentle lolo, Pastor, badoo, etc.

That's my contribution.

Thanks for your contribution.

(1) (Reply)

Peacemaker?. Share Your Experience. / No Matter Which Bodybuilding Workouts You Choose To Do / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.