Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,636 members, 7,813,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade (1073 Views)

Is it time for me to.......(guys Only) / A Call To Order {nairaland & It's Uses} / GOODBYE Nairaland. It Has Been A Great Ride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Afam4eva(m): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2009
Nairaland is undoubtedly the biggest online forum in Nigeria if not the whole of Africa, but i thin it's high time they upgrade cos they lack some basic forum features.Some of this features are:
(1) You cannot quote someone's post if the person's post is not in the last page, so i feel every post made should have a quote button.
(2) I think every post should come with the picture of the poster.
(3) I think we should be able to code little it with HTML
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by MrCrackles(m): 1:06pm On Mar 08, 2009
afam4eva:

(2) I think every post should come with the  picture of the poster.

Rubbish!

Why should people's post come with pictures and why must we go through every thread peppered with forumites pixes?!

No disrespect but i think it is a senseless suggestion!
tongue
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Mar 08, 2009
MrCrackles:

Rubbish!

Why should people's post come with pictures and why must we go through every thread peppered with forumites pixes?!

No disrespect but i think it is a senseless suggestion!
tongue

It's optional for the poster though
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Mustay(m): 10:35pm On Mar 08, 2009
Recent versions of SMF have afam's version so perhaps, he is used to it. It's not a rubbish idea.
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by SamMilla1(m): 10:48pm On Mar 08, 2009
I believe seun knows all that. Nairaland is big and would require someone on the smf team to do the upgrade.

In other words, i wont advise him to upgrade it by himself.
The versions that came after this one are many.
Trying to upgrade to the latest versions ,
Say v1.1.8 or 2.0 which is still in beta can destroy many things.

But then i dont see this forum running on this version forever.

Some guys in SMF team can upgrade it but they may ask for a little dough
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Afam4eva(m): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2009
Just check www.alabiforum.com to see what i'm talking about
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by SamMilla1(m): 10:48pm On Mar 25, 2009
afam4eva:

Just check www.alabiforum.com to see what i'm talking about

the forum is also running on version 1.1.7 outdated.

plus i wonder why the owner allowed bots to register. These spam bots just occupy spaces and nothing good.

a lot of mods that prevents spams are available in smf website.
or he can go to registration.php and stop them himself
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Seun(m): 8:08pm On Mar 26, 2009
I made a lot of changes to the version of SMF I started with, and I would need to reapply the changes. That's very labor-intensive, and the benefits are not clear. The database schema is still horribly denormalized, and the new anti-spam tools are not sufficient to prevent the kind of spam we experience on Nairaland. I don't want to upgrade to a newer version of SMF; I want to upgrade to something completely fresh and improved.
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by MrCrackles(m): 8:12pm On Mar 26, 2009
Seun:

I made a lot of changes to the version of SMF I started with, and I would need to reapply the changes. That's very labor-intensive, and the benefits are not clear. The database schema is still horribly denormalized, and the new anti-spam tools are not sufficient to prevent[b] the kind of spam we experience on Nairaland[/b]. I don't want to upgrade to a newer version of SMF; I want to upgrade to something completely fresh and improved.

shocked shocked shocked
Na wa o!
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Seun(m): 10:45pm On Mar 26, 2009
     (1) You cannot quote someone's post if the person's post is not in the last page, so i feel every post made should have a quote button.
I removed it.

(2) I think every post should come with the  picture of the poster.
I removed it too.

(3) I think we should be able to code little it with HTML
The above features are not compelling reasons to upgrade, since I was the one who removed them cheesy
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by DeReloaded: 10:48pm On Mar 26, 2009
I removed it.

Reason?

NL is the only site that doesnt have a quote button on each post. What's the cause?
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 26, 2009
i also have a problem with point 1. Its frustrating especially on threads where people make long long posts . . . you may not even be able to quote even if its on the last page.
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by DeReloaded: 6:21pm On Mar 27, 2009
Um can we get the modify button back?
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by ow11(m): 6:31pm On Mar 27, 2009
DeReloaded:

Um can we get the modify button back?

SECONDED
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Seun(m): 11:38pm On Mar 27, 2009
Do you want spam with that? wink (the button was removed temporarily to combat spam)
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by DeReloaded: 4:48am On Mar 28, 2009
removing modify button doesnt combat spam. How does modifying a post lead to spamming? If a person intends on spamming they will do so with the inital post, not as an afterthought.

Removing spam is the job of the mods./admin. Others hsouldnt have to suffer for it
Re: Nairaland: It's Time To Upgrade by Seun(m): 9:03am On Apr 10, 2009
You don't know the details, so stop yacking.

(1) (Reply)

I Seriously Dislike Fl Gator, Busybodi, Michelin89 And Davidylan When They Post! / Otedola Has Been 'milking' African Petroleum / Who Ar The Lagos State Governorship Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.