Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone (1440 Views)

How To Install And Run Linux From A Pen Drive : How To Make A Live Linux Drive / Who Can Help With Dual Booting Linux On Windows 10 / How To Install Windows 8 On Android Phone Or Android Tablet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2015
do you know you can run linux distros on your android?The following are requirements to run your favourite linux distro on your android.
1. android phone with at least android 4.2 and rooted
2. at least 512 mb of ram
3. memory card with at least 4gb free space
follow d steps below to get you up and running
1. download and install complete linux installer from playstore. if d one you get on playstore keeps crashin, download it from a third party website.
2. swipe to the right and click on install.
3. download the other required applications which are vnc viewer and terminal emulator.
4. click on download image. the big image is preferred so you can get full bash shell function and additional programs.
5. after downloading, unzip it into a folder on the root folder of your memory card. the folder you unzip it into should preferably be named afta your linux distro.
6. go back to complete linux installer and click launch. select ur distro from the dropdown list and click start linux.
if u have any issues, you can contact me on michaeloshosanya@gmail.com as i may not see all the questions on the postnote: android lollipop users may have issues. contact me for help
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by Juxtified(m): 6:48pm On Jul 12, 2015
what's linux and why do i need it on my phone? pardon my ignorance.
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by YourAncestor: 7:18pm On Jul 12, 2015
Abeg provide another link where I can download it. My play store is not functioning properly
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 11:27pm On Jul 12, 2015
YourAncestor:
Abeg provide another link where I can download it. My play store is not functioning properly
http://www.apk20.com/apk/89936/
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 11:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Juxtified:
what's linux and why do i need it on my phone?
pardon my ignorance.
linux is an operating system just like windows. linux comes in different distributions otherwise called distros and if u like, u can call it version. these distros are made by different companies and each distro has it core functionality or do i say wat it was actually made for like kali linux was made for penetration testing, opensuse for servers and so on. linux has a better security implementation than windows which is why you hardly see linux users have an antivirus.
why u may need it on your phone?
linux is a powerful operating system and most of its functions come in the command line. u definitely cant learn all commands in a day. a phone is a more mobile platform dan ur laptop for you to increase.your knowledge about the os.
hackers can carry out some attacks right from their phones, they dont have to sit at a place and b confined to their laptops
can b ur own source of bragging rights among your peers.......
reasons depend on u.

1 Like

Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by Juxtified(m): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2015
michaelwilli:

linux is an operating system just like windows. linux comes in different distributions otherwise called distros and if u like, u can call it version. these distros are made by different companies and each distro has it core functionality or do i say wat it was actually made for like kali linux was made for penetration testing, opensuse for servers and so on. linux has a better security implementation than windows which is why you hardly see linux users have an antivirus.
why u may need it on your phone?
linux is a powerful operating system and most of its functions come in the command line. u definitely cant learn all commands in a day. a phone is a more mobile platform dan ur laptop for you to increase.your knowledge about the os.
hackers can carry out some attacks right from their phones, they dont have to sit at a place and b confined to their laptops
can b ur own source of bragging rights among your peers.......
reasons depend on u.
Thanx bro, that was quite enlightening.
Android is another operating system, right? So if i install linux, it means I'm running both OS in one device, or does it replace the main features of the android?
Second, the free 4g of memory card, is it going to be consumed by the linux application or will it still be free for me to use for storing other things after installation?
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 9:00am On Jul 13, 2015
Juxtified:

Thanx bro, that was quite enlightening.
Android is another operating system, right? So if i install linux, it means I'm running both OS in one device, or does it replace the main features of the android?
Second, the free 4g of memory card, is it going to be consumed by the linux application or will it still be free for me to use for storing other things after installation?
the 4gb space is going to be consumed by the linux. and installing linux doesnt remove the android os on your device. to boot the linux, you'll have to first boot your android phone and then launh the linux through the complete linux installer application. so you can switch between both operating system just wit the use of your home button.
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by uThene(m): 12:25pm On Jul 13, 2015
but that part you said "click on download image", where is it?
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
uThene:
but that part you said "click on download image", where is it?
swipe right, click install guides, select ur preferred distribution, click page 2, den click download image
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by Babalegba(m): 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
michaelwilli:
do you know you can run linux distros on your android?The following are requirements to run your favourite linux distro on your android.
1. android phone with at least android 4.2 and rooted
2. at least 512 mb of ram
3. memory card with at least 4gb free space
follow d steps below to get you up and running
1. download and install complete linux installer from playstore. if d one you get on playstore keeps crashin, download it from a third party website.
2. swipe to the right and click on install.
3. download the other required applications which are vnc viewer and terminal emulator.
4. click on download image. the big image is preferred so you can get full bash shell function and additional programs.
5. after downloading, unzip it into a folder on the root folder of your memory card. the folder you unzip it into should preferably be named afta your linux distro.
6. go back to complete linux installer and click launch. select ur distro from the dropdown list and click start linux.
if u have any issues, you can contact me on michaeloshosanya@gmail.com as i may not see all the questions on the postnote: android lollipop users may have issues. contact me for help
But android itself is Linux.So really this would be like having two distros on the same machine
Re: How To Run Linux On Your Android Phone by michaelwilli(m): 2:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
Babalegba:
But android itself is Linux.So really this would be like having two distros on the same machine
you are right that android is a linux distro. bt all linux utilities are not accessible on the android command line. its also like avin two distros on d same machine. tho one is less likely to disturb the operation of anoda

(1) (Reply)

How To See Who Viewed Your Facebook Profile The Most / Nigerians! Glo Is Exposing Your Phone Number To The Whole Internet / Newly Bought Hp 3 In 1 Deskjet 2130 Printer 17K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.