Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It (2559 Views)

Symptoms Of Water In A Car's Petrol Tank And Ways To Fix It / Toyota Yaris Does Not Accelerate And Shakes On A/C / What To Do If Your Steering Fails While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by AutoCarTracker(m): 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
If your car shakes while driving down the road or the steering wheel vibrates, you're not alone. One of the most common complaints of vehicle owners is vibrations. Whether its from the car tires, bent rim, or the brakes, they can be annoying and if left unattended for a long time, it could cause premature wear and tear on the tires and suspension.
Most vehicle owners think that when their car shakes or vibrates, it means they need an alignment, this is not true. All that an alignment will do is point the tires in the right direction, you see, over time your car goes through some hard hits like potholes, curbs, speed bumps, and just every day poor road conditions.

After a while, things get knocked out of place and the wheels are no longer pointing in the right direction, it's so minor that even the naked eye can't tell it's out of alignment, but an alignment machine will take measurements of your vehicle and compare it to the vehicles specifications, can you see how none of this has anything to do with your car shaking and vibrating?
The most common cause of tire shakes or vibrations is tire balance. Most vibrations can be resolved by simply having your tires balanced by a qualified mechanic, but there are some cases where it gets a little more in depth because a tire balance didn't fix the vibration. This is where you need that qualified mechanic I was talking about; I find a lot of mechanics will give the customer a story and tell them their shock are bad or their alignment is out, just so the customer will go away. A reputable garage will have a tire balancer machine; but i strongly recommend going for computerized automatic tire balancers which is far accurate than having someone detect the weight to add to the rims to balance the tires, manual detection can kick the tire out of balance, even a weight as small as 0.05kg can kick it out of balance and higher the speed the higher the vibration is felt.

There are other less common causes of car vibrations like worn suspension parts, brake rotor pulsation, snow, mud, debris, things stuck in and on tires, transmission and motor problems, and loose wheel bearings. All of these could give you a vibration or make your car shake, but I was addressing the most common problem associated with car shakes and steering wheel vibrations.

So if your car has a vibration or a shake that is driving you crazy, I recommend having it checked as soon as possible, like I mentioned earlier, leaving a vibration alone, hoping it will go away, will only lead to tire chop and cupping, premature wear on suspension components, and worst of all, insanity, it will drive you crazy if it hasn't already.

Bad bearing are easily detected with simple standard industry techniques but the most common method is the grinding noise it makes, every bearing problems comes with a grinding noise because it arised from the issue of metal to metal contacts of the bearing.

Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by Kingswhite2001: 11:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
Hmm!
Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 13, 2015
Very educative article. This will solve more problems that some random celebrity story.
I doubt they will move this to front page tho

1 Like

Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by cmoney22222: 8:47am On Jul 13, 2015
I have same problem, where is your office for fixing or can you recommend? Thanks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by Inception(m): 2:29pm On Jul 13, 2015
nice article, but next time please quote your SOURCE.
Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by donsteady(m): 7:14am On Jul 19, 2015
Informative and educative
Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by AutoCarTracker(m): 7:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
tnxs

1 Like

Re: Your Steering Shakes On High Speed? This Might Help You Fix It by princejones(m): 9:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
I had a similar problem inshort my own was worst and with a serious vibration when l match brake but l was advice by my mech to change my brake disc after trying so many things and the disc was the culprit

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What These Three Vehicles Say About Who Drives Them! / My Review K&N Octane Booster / World's Cheapest Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.