Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,115 members, 7,953,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:01 PM

Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. (4201 Views)

NBA Urgent Notice To Legal Practitioners / Deloitte Nigeria Holds Professional Training For Tax Practitioners / Veterinary Medical Aspirants And Practitioners Home & Abroad: Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 12:13am On Jul 23, 2015
Optimall:

Explain more I don't get this
Go to the capital of your state.Visit the high court there and ask of the probate section .you can apply by yourself or through a lawyer it can take up.to two months and also be ready to pay tp govt.10% of the value money/property you want to collect.they will also ask of the death certificate which is very very important to the process

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 12:22am On Jul 23, 2015
christinie:
If a mortuary attendant is convinced by a young man of 19years whom he presumed to be innocent to deposit a corpse to the mortuary, without disclosing to him that he killed the deceased, is he an accessory after the fact to the offence considering the fact that the mortuary attendant failed to intimate the Police that he discovered 2 machete cuts on the deceased head? When he was arrested by the Police he claimed that he was about to go report the matter to the Police.
The deed of murder has already been committed before the corpse was brought to him&in law you cannot charge a person for killimg somebody who is already dead and another question should be whether there is any legislation in place that makes it mandatory for mortuary attendants to enquire the cause of a death when a corpse is brought to them.there is none.the onus of proof is not on the mortuary attendant but on the people asserting.S 145 of evidence act

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 12:44am On Jul 23, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Looking at your first question, I have never heard of affidavit of investigation. what's need to be done is charge the accused to court after investigation and provide the court with compelling evidences discovered during investigation incriminating the accuse. The onus is on the court to decide if the evidence tendered is enough to convict the accused.
In the second question.. The prosecution is mandated to provide the defence counsel with all evidence obtain against the accused during investigation.. This is in other to help him prepare his defence brief .

#Myopinion
Thank you for the reply.myself I have been doing my cases without those affidavit that investigation has been concluded and proof of evidence, though I have been ordered by the court in a couple of cases to serve the defence with proof of evidence but I was surprised by my Abuja head office recently when they attached this affidavit of conclusion of investigation to the charge they prepared

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by fredosky111(m): 1:05am On Jul 23, 2015
Blessed is d woman who delivered d brain dat create dis room on earth.wit deep sense of humility i salute all d learned gentlemen in d room nd learning gentlemen as wel.Iam an applicant for d 2015/2016 law sch set.pls i nid tips dat will enable me soar very high at d law sch.i nid hep frm any senior in d house

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 1:13am On Jul 23, 2015
fredosky111:
Blessed is d woman who delivered d brain dat create dis room on earth.wit deep sense of humility i salute all d learned gentlemen in d room nd learning gentlemen as wel.Iam an applicant for d 2015/2016 law sch set.pls i nid tips dat will enable me soar very high at d law sch.i nid hep frm any senior in d house
You are welcome. When you go into law school begin early preparation, participate in moot courts and most importantly read and understand past questions very well.Past questions will help you to understand how they want their questions to be answered. They prefer short and concise answers to big grammers in bar finals exams and also they are fond of repeating questions. Good luck bro

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 2:35pm On Jul 23, 2015
aariwa:
The deed of murder has already been committed before the corpse was brought to him&in law you cannot charge a person for killimg somebody who is already dead and another question should be whether there is any legislation in place that makes it mandatory for mortuary attendants to enquire the cause of a death when a corpse is brought to them.there is none.the onus of proof is not on the mortuary attendant but on the people asserting.S 145 of evidence act
Am writing a legal opinion on it. I will have to do more research to see if there is any Law that mandates the mortuary directors/attendants to get a Police permit b4 depositing a corpse, especially when murder is suspected. Also note that a person who receives or assists another who is, to his knowledge, guilty of an offence, in order to enable him escape punishment, is said to be an accessory after the fact to the offence.
Thanks for the ans.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 2:45pm On Jul 23, 2015
fredosky111:
God bless you too. What you need to do to pass your exam at Law Sch is to stay focused. Ensure to join a tutorial group, listen to your lecturers and ask questions abt the areas u don't understand. U don't have to ask the lecturers, u can ask ur fellow students who are very sound. Also go through past questions and answer them as best as you can.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 2:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
arabianights:

Hmmmm na wao!!!!!

Missed you too dear.Travelled and was very busy
How is corporate world? sometimes miss it.Am presently organizing an international
conference.(don't ask coz wont tell until the date is near)If we succeed,boss, over 3m jobs will be created.

wish you all the best.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
aariwa:
Go to the capital of your state.Visit the high court there and ask of the probate section .you can apply by yourself or through a lawyer it can take up.to two months and also be ready to pay tp govt.10% of the value money/property you want to collect.they will also ask of the death certificate which is very very important to the process

Yeah we did that. They asked for 15% of the money that was deposited in the bank and what more? They asked it to be paid upfront.

One reason I hate Nigerian lawyers.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 4:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
christinie:

Am writing a legal opinion on it. I will have to do more research to see if there is any Law that mandates the mortuary directors/attendants to get a Police permit b4 depositing a corpse, especially when murder is suspected. Also note that a person who receives or assists another who is, to his knowledge, guilty of an offence, in order to enable him escape punishment, is said to be an accessory after the fact to the offence.
Thanks for the ans.
You are right there may be an extant law on that.How about autopsy and police report ?Prosecution counsel its like you seriously want to prosecute those people.A beg take am easy o so that you no go jam a no case submission from defence counsel in court grin

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 5:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
Optimall:

Yeah we did that. They asked for 15% of the money that was deposited in the bank and what more? They asked it to be paid upfront.

One reason I hate Nigerian lawyers.
you should deal with the Ministry of Justice (Estate Management Dept) not with private lawyers.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2015
aariwa:
You are right there may be an extant law on that.How about autopsy and police report ?Prosecution counsel its like you seriously want to prosecute those people.A beg take am easy o so that you no go jam a no case submission from defence counsel in court grin
oh yes there's post mortem report from a Govt Hosp and the Police Investigation Report corroborates the confessional statement of the suspects. My dear my job is to prosecute by establishing a prima facie case of the offence (s) in question and proving my case beyond all reasonable doubts.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 7:19pm On Jul 23, 2015
A former neighbour of mine was sent home by her husband who alleged adultery. The man was convinced by their housemaid that the wife was a cheat. He sent her and her 3 female children packing and now lives with the housemaid. The lady admitted to cheating on the man because he had a live-in-lover in his base abroad and has a male child from that relationship.
She is seeking for a legal redress.
What would you advise her to do apart from going to court, going to the Min. Of Women Affairs, Human Rights centres , Multi Door Court and also reporting the matter to the king of her village (customarily). I told her that marriage is not by force, that the least the court can do for her is to order the man to pay for the children's upkeeps as children's interest is paramount in divorce matters and maybe her house rent. What is your take on this?
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by fredosky111(m): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2015
@aariwa nd christinie am highly elated to associate wit u ppl here i promise to key into ur advice .God bless u guyz

2 Likes

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 10:14pm On Jul 23, 2015
fredosky111:
@aariwa nd christinie am highly elated to associate wit u ppl here i promise to key into ur advice .God bless u guyz
we are glad to have you here too. God bless you.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by aariwa(m): 11:33pm On Jul 23, 2015
christinie:
A former neighbour of mine was sent home by her husband who alleged adultery. The man was convinced by their housemaid that the wife was a cheat. He sent her and her 3 female children packing and now lives with the housemaid. The lady admitted to cheating on the man because he had a live-in-lover in his base abroad and has a male child from that relationship.
What would you advise her to do apart from going to court, going to the Min. Of Women Affairs, Human Rights centres , Multi Door Court and also reporting the matter to the king of her village (customarily). I told her that marriage is not by force, that the least the court can do for her is to order the man to pay for the children's upkeeps as children's interest is paramount in divorce matters and maybe her house rent. What is your take on this?
OK.Read the case of Menakaya v Menakaya(i have forgotten the citation)which is a locus classicus on the issue you mentioned t o know the available reliefs open to the woman to seek.There is also the issue of custody of the children which is always contentious.I hope he has not married the housemaid already cos you people can charge him for bigamy which is punishable under criminal code

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 5:43am On Jul 24, 2015
aariwa:
OK.Read the case of Menakaya v Menakaya(i have forgotten the citation)which is a locus classicus on the issue you mentioned t o know the available reliefs open to the woman to seek.There is also the issue of custody of the children which is always contentious.I hope he has not married the housemaid already cos you people can charge him for bigamy which is punishable under criminal code
No he's yet to remarry but like I said earlier he has a love son with a lady abroad and lives with the housemaid while in Nigeria. The issue of custody might not come in as he disowned the little innocent children. I will search for the case tomorrow at the library but I think it might be in my family law text too. I also remember the case vaguely. Thanks for the ans.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 5:45am On Jul 24, 2015
fredosky111:
God bless you too dear.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by queenfav(f): 8:36am On Jul 24, 2015
Hello everyone..Thank God there is a forum for lawyers to interact.Please I need help seriously in getting a job.I was called to bar in 2014 with a 2.2 from law sch,and 2.1 from uni.I want a job that can pay at least a 100,000 naira..even if it means not practising,I don't mind.I can work anywhere that requires the services of a lawyer even in a bank.The reality that the legal profession is all hype has dawned on me.I need to earn something reasonable,not after 6 yrs of going to sch!I can't be wearing wig and gown and answering d name 'barrister, on top 20k salary..Please help a sister by informing me about job opportunities in rivers,delta or edo state!my CV can be sent on request.

2 Likes

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by Sexyolori(f): 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2015
Greetings Learned Friends...

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 24, 2015
christinie:
you should deal with the Ministry of Justice (Estate Management Dept) not with private lawyers.

Thanks dear.. that's exactly where we went to.

Right now we need a private lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 9:29pm On Jul 24, 2015
queenfav:
Hello everyone..Thank God there is a forum for lawyers to interact.Please I need help seriously in getting a job.I was called to bar in 2014 with a 2.2 from law sch,and 2.1 from uni.I want a job that can pay at least a 100,000 naira..even if it means not practising,I don't mind.I can work anywhere that requires the services of a lawyer even in a bank.The reality that the legal profession is all hype has dawned on me.I need to earn something reasonable,not after 6 yrs of going to sch!I can't be wearing wig and gown and answering d name 'barrister, on top 20k salary..Please help a sister by informing me about job opportunities in rivers,delta or edo state!my CV can be sent on request.
just put your ears to the ground to know when there are openings in Govt parastatals. You can also apply in your state Civil Service whenever they are recruiting. I wish you the best dear.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 9:30pm On Jul 24, 2015
Optimall:

Thanks dear.. that's exactly where we went to.

Right now we need a private lawyer.
Ok. It's well.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 9:31pm On Jul 24, 2015
Sexyolori:
Greetings Learned Friends...
greetings Olori. Welcome on-board.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by wisdomguy4u(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2015
christinie:

Infidelity is a good ground for divorce in marriage... What you told her is the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by arabianights: 1:28pm On Jul 25, 2015
MrMcJay:

Hiya! Good to hear from you!
The corporate world is okay. Corporate legal practice is like cannibalism. Animals of the same species trying to eat one another.

3M jobs? Thats really interesting. I think only agriculture can do that.

Proud of you ma'am.

i really need to meet u one day. It is agricultural sector quite alright.
I have always prided my self on the ability to sense intelligent and good people and keep them as friends, i definitely didnt miss a point on keeping you as a friend

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 1:28pm On Jul 25, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Infidelity is a good ground for divorce in marriage... What you told her is the right thing.
thanks.
Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by RepEnugu(m): 6:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
please,christine and wisdomguy4u is it possible to switch to law cuz am currently in my 100l mass comm in the uni though I applied for law initially but they gave me mass comm. now I want to know if its possible to switch over to law. thanks

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by wisdomguy4u(m): 6:15pm On Jul 25, 2015
RepEnugu:
please,christine and wisdomguy4u is it possible to switch to law cuz am currently in my 100l mass comm in the uni though I applied for law initially but they gave me mass comm. now I want to know if its possible to switch over to law. thanks

Find out from your school authorities if it's done in your school. I know in some schools, if you get a high GP in your first year, you will be given the opportunity to apply for higher course if you so want .

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by RepEnugu(m): 6:25pm On Jul 25, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Find out from your school authorities if it's done in your school. I know in some schools, if you get a high GP in your first year, you will be given the opportunity to apply for higher course if you so want .
okay,thank you for your reply...

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by MrMcJay(m): 6:43pm On Jul 25, 2015
arabianights:

i really need to meet u one day. It is agricultural sector quite alright.
I have always prided my self on the ability to sense intelligent and good people and keep them as friends, i definitely didnt miss a point on keeping you as a friend

Flattery ma'am, flattery!

I don't consider myself intelligent, I'm just a chap who believes that 1+1 could provide limitless possibilities instead of just 2.

Thanks for the compliment, see you at the top.

1 Like

Re: Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. by christinie(f): 5:41am On Jul 26, 2015
RepEnugu:
Depending on your school and of course your G.P, I think it's possible. Few of my classmates (then) actually switched from different Faculties to Law. Good enough you are Art inclined. Go to the Dean of Student Affairs of your school for more guidance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Proven Path To Doing Unique And Meaningful Work / Please I Need Past Question And Answers For Dragnet Or Addax Petroleum Test / ICAN To Release The Result Of May 2018 Diet,today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.