Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. (1004 Views)

5 Sex Mistakes Guyz Make When **** {photos} +18 / Gbagaun!!! What Is Wrong With This Police Signboard? / Gbagaun!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Phonetikkks: 8:25pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hello Everyone, hope you've had a nice day. Below are common grammatical errors we make in daily conversations. Try avoiding these as they could be quite embarrassing.

I need a matured guy to take care of me

•Matured is used to describe plants, not humans. "Mature" is the correct word.

This soup is very pepperish

•The word "pepperish" does not exist in spoken English. "Peppery" is the correct word.

You are too immatured for my liking

•Immatured is for plants. "Immature" is the correct word.

Are you hearing me?

•People say this a lot when on the phone, but it's wrong. "Can you hear me" is the correct thing to say.

My names are Richard Kehinde Edward

•Your first name, last name and middle name, form a "full name".

When strangers ask for your name, they mean your full name, and how many full names do you have?......One!

So better put, "my name is Richard Kehinde Edward".

Can you recite the poem off head?

• "Off head" means without a head, that would mean having your head cut-off. What you should say is "can you recite the poem by heart".

She studied Accounting at the university

•Accounting is not a discipline but simply a process of taking account. What you study is "Accountancy".

I heard you are sick, sorry!

•Only say sorry when you are responsible for a pain/misfortune. The right thing to say is "I heard you fell sick, hope you feel better soon"

Send original copies of your document to my desk

•Copies of an item are never original (that's why it is a copy and not the original) . What you should say is "send copies of your original document to my desk".

I didn't cheat on my husband, that's the honest truth

•There's nothing like dishonest truth. You can only speak "the truth".

I have forgotten my pin number

•There's no such thing as pin number. Simply say "forgotten my pin".

Buy your friend mineral to drink

•What's mineral? Except you mean mineral resources lol. Simply say "soft drink or beverage".

My senior brother beats me each time I talk back

•Your "older" brother. Senior is used to describe ranks (organisational hierarchy), not blood relations.

She's my junior sister

•Your "younger" sister.

I hate tea-bag kind of tea, I prefer normal tea

•What you call normal tea (milk, milo, sugar, hot water) is not tea. It is called "hot chocolate". Tea are beverages made from tea bags.

When are you going to go to Abuja?

• "When do you leave for Abuja" is the correct thing to say. You can't be going to go.

There was no traffic today, so I made it to work early

• "No traffic" means there wasn't any moving car on the road, which is not true. Instead say, there was "less traffic".

Have you had your bathe?

•This is incorrect, what you should say is "have you had a bath// or// have you showered"

Are there some errors you know of and would want to share?

Check my previous thread...Follow for more lessons on proper speaking.
https://www.nairaland.com/2445794/common-mispronunciations-should-avoid

lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Belvine33(f): 8:26pm On Jul 13, 2015
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by feldido(m): 8:26pm On Jul 13, 2015
grin Op is not Imune to them grin
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Godzlove8(m): 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
Atleast i've learn one or two things there..THANKS op
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by rawpadgin(m): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
bleep it!
this ain't my mama's tongue tongue tongue
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Phonetikkks: 8:52am On Jul 14, 2015
rawpadgin:
bleep it!
this ain't my mama's tongue tongue tongue

What's worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Phonetikkks: 9:03am On Jul 14, 2015
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by b3llo(m): 9:20am On Jul 14, 2015
Weldone Boss
Re: Popular "Gbagaun" People Make When Speaking. by Phonetikkks: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
feldido:
grin Op is not Imune to them grin

Wharevaa lol

(1) (Reply)

Help!i Want To Download From Instagram / Biafra: Who Will Mourn The Dead? / Someone Should Answer This Brain Teaser Question — Benedictnsi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.