Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) (50390 Views)

Mikel Obi and Teammates Having Lunch Ahead Of Sunday Olympic Match With Sweden / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup / Videos Of Sunday Oliseh Ranting,Calling His Haters 'Mad & Insane People' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by vislabraye(m): 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2015
robosky02:
Oliseh and family

note: He married a Tunisian woman after we won the nations cup in Tunisia

His wife is Moroccan. Dan Amokachi msrried a Tunisian.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by gabazin080(m): 5:11pm On Jul 15, 2015
robosky02:

SUNDAY OLIEH'S WORDS ON MARBLE

On Foreign vs Local Players for Nigeria

“If you are a foreign-based pro, it is not because these foreign clubs want to do you a favour, it is because you are one of the best from your country, simple. By gradually trying to wage a war against these players who ply their trade week in week out at the highest level leagues in the world we are turning our back to our best and waging a war against ourselves, they are Nigerians too I must remind.”

“They should not be cast away just because our technical crew lacks the skills to manage them at the detriment of Nigeria.”

On Confederations Cup failure and home-based Players

“My belief is not that we should not use home-based players, far from it, if Sunday Mba was not at the Nations Cup in 2013 for Nigeria I do not think we might have won it, at least like we did. He, however, was well surrounded by Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike, etc and made his contributions productive and easier. We saw how this poor boy struggled at the Confederations Cup just 4 months after doing us proud in South Africa! Oboabona is one of my favourites and with some more polishing would go places internationally!”

On difference between national team Coach/Manager

“National team coaches are called Managers because they are not supposed to form players due to the short time they have to work with them, but they are supposed to be good at selecting like or complementary players, mix them up to produce results.”

On criticism

“Stephen Keshi is a good coach. But one quality that successful and long lasting coaches have, is that they have always had a nose to differentiate constructive criticisms from destructive ones and act on them even if they do not agree in public!”

“Criticisms without proposing solutions is what Losers and underachievers do!”

On money issues in the national team

“Growing up as a kid in the 80’s I heard my uncles and parents talk about this problem. As captain of the Super Eagles for years and player for a decade, in several competitions, we never had a competition without having to confront this problem of money, and now eleven years after retirement from it, the problem is still there, wow! Will it ever end? Is it a curse or do we just accept that it is part of our DNA?”

“Playing for your country is a patriotic and honourable gesture just as it is to be part of the government and the military. Just as the others do get paid, national team players, irrespective of where they play or what they earn, deserve compensation for their services to their homeland.”

“Recently the NFF has been screaming at the top of their lungs their lack of funds to operate. That I feel is quite unfortunate when one considers the fact that we are one of the richest nations in Africa and the world! Something must be wrong somewhere and somehow.”

On Africa/Asia’s role in World football

“I feel for decades the World Cup was called a World Cup without real credibility. How could countries claim to have been world champions prior to 1974 when Africa had no representatives at the World Cup, as Zaire emerged only in 1974 in Germany.”

“How could we continue with any real change in the structure of World football if there is no equitable distribution of its management that includes African and Asian involvement?”

“Our continent is the greatest continent on earth. We keep saying God help us, I think when the man looks down and sees all our resources…my country is 170million people, China is a threat to the world now because of their numbers, Nigeria is a threat to the world because we’re a 170million people, Africa is a threat to the world. What does that tell us? If we decide, as a race, that we want to succeed, nobody can stop us.”

On family ties affecting African footballers

“African footballers, I feel, have to remain Africans in spirit and help out their families as much as they can. There is a blessing in sharing but they should know how [much] they share.”

“As an African, your family is always an asset to you, it all depends on how you manage it. As long as a gun is not put at your head to spend your earnings you are responsible for your viability or bankruptcy!”

On coaching Nigeria

“It is no secret that managing Nigeria’s national senior team is a burden and nightmare very few Top coaches in the world want to bother doing, not because the talent or prospects are not there but more or less because working with [these] administrators in the Nigeria Football Federation is a nightmare!”

“If there is one thing I believe Nigeria’s victory [at Afcon 2013] said out loud, it is that African coaches are good! The Ethiopians, Cape Verdeans and of course Nigeria, played about the best football of the just concluded AFCON 2013 and they were coached by Africans. So, Nigeria has to renew the confidence in Nigerian coaches especially at the National team level, and most importantly at the club level.”

On public corruption in Africa

“Corruption is the reason why we are still suffering and the standard of living in Africa is so low. Everything in Nigeria is what the world dreams of: Great weather, green and fertile land, ridiculed with natural resources, manpower resources thanks to our population, loving and laughing people, relatively unpolluted air… the list is endless and still we are way behind in comfort.”

“We fail to acknowledge that government (public) wealth does not belong to those who are elected to manage them on the behalf of the people, but the people’s wealth. Each time a corrupt leader loots, he just robbed you and I.”

On compensation for athletes

“Nigeria’s sports heroes are often left to rot after making their country proud. President Buhari will motivate interest in national glory by ensuring better compensation of our sportstars when they represent Nigeria.”

“The golden generation of 1994 is yet to receive its promised houses by the Nigerian Government. Today, 21 years after the fact some have sadly passed away without receiving any thanks for putting Nigeria on the world map of respectable sports nations.”

On being a footballer

“The good thing about playing for Nigeria is that, the moment you play your first game you’re a superstar. But the moment you play your first bad game, even your father would call and say, ‘My son you’ve put me in trouble.’”

“Education from my school days was the difference in my life. It made it easy for me to analyze easier.”

“As a soccer player, the worst thing that can happen to you is retirement because when we retire, to the man that is 65 years-old we’re still babies. As an African you’re rich only if your family is rich with you, so you have to cater for your family.

“A lot of people have asked, “why doesn’t he go to coach the Super Eagles?” Man, I wanna live long! Inasmuch as I know I am very well qualified for it and I love my country passionately, but I felt that I could share my experience by putting my thoughts on what I found out and what I developed into some means where people can visit and that’s why I set up my website.”
ok
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by nathoski(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2015
polpoer:
congrats Oliseh
i like this guy sha
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by fx45(m): 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2015
Jonwesley:
So Delta state is part of Eastern Nigeria now. Who dash monkey banana? Oliseh is from Delta state please.
Is he no longer an Igbo man?
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Lastdon02(m): 5:42pm On Jul 15, 2015
Dosinspector:
Buhari may not be happy the guy is from east
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by wapkid(m): 6:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
Public Complaints Commission begs
Obasanjo to help renovate its Ogun office

[img]http://media.premiumtimesng.com/wp-content/files/2012/12/600x451xOLUSEGUN-OBASANJO-e1421171832335.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4usUKCHLPC.webp[/img]

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on
Tuesday said he had no regrets establishing
the Federal Public Complaints Commission
(FPCC) when he was the military head of
state between 1976 and 1979.
Mr. Obasanjo said this when Oluyemisi
Somorin- Dawodu, the Commissioner, Public
Complaints Commission, in Ogun State, paid
him a courtesy visit at his residence in
Abeokuta.
Continue reading.... http://naijabliz.com/forum2_theme_111591195.xhtml?tema=884
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by wordychap: 6:09pm On Jul 15, 2015
I have a gut feeling oliseh will b successful with d super eagles !
That's if he doesn't punch a player
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by nathpope(m): 6:14pm On Jul 15, 2015
robosky02:
Oliseh at USA 94 world cup against argentinas Maradonna

19year old Oliseh against baba maradona...
Hmmmmmm...oga ju.. grin grin grin

Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by nathpope(m): 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
robosky02:
Oliseh , peter Rufai and Keshi lifting the nations cup in Tunisia 1994

Title of picture...
OJu lari..ore o de nu..

Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2015
nathpope:

19year old Oliseh against baba maradona...
Hmmmmmm...oga ju.. grin grin grin

Phahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
@ "oga ju."

Na real oga ju!

Sunday Oliseh, the guy blessed with lips!

Abeg, no read any ulterior meaning to it oh: I just dey remember my childhood days - Ete bii ti Sunday Oliseh!
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by nathpope(m): 6:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
robosky02:

SUNDAY OLIEH'S WORDS ON MARBLE

On Foreign vs Local Players for Nigeria

“If you are a foreign-based pro, it is not because these foreign clubs want to do you a favour, it is because you are one of the best from your country, simple. By gradually trying to wage a war against these players who ply their trade week in week out at the highest level leagues in the world we are turning our back to our best and waging a war against ourselves, they are Nigerians too I must remind.”

“They should not be cast away just because our technical crew lacks the skills to manage them at the detriment of Nigeria.”

On Confederations Cup failure and home-based Players

“My belief is not that we should not use home-based players, far from it, if Sunday Mba was not at the Nations Cup in 2013 for Nigeria I do not think we might have won it, at least like we did. He, however, was well surrounded by Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike, etc and made his contributions productive and easier. We saw how this poor boy struggled at the Confederations Cup just 4 months after doing us proud in South Africa! Oboabona is one of my favourites and with some more polishing would go places internationally!”

On difference between national team Coach/Manager

“National team coaches are called Managers because they are not supposed to form players due to the short time they have to work with them, but they are supposed to be good at selecting like or complementary players, mix them up to produce results.”

On criticism

“Stephen Keshi is a good coach. But one quality that successful and long lasting coaches have, is that they have always had a nose to differentiate constructive criticisms from destructive ones and act on them even if they do not agree in public!”

“Criticisms without proposing solutions is what Losers and underachievers do!”

On money issues in the national team

“Growing up as a kid in the 80’s I heard my uncles and parents talk about this problem. As captain of the Super Eagles for years and player for a decade, in several competitions, we never had a competition without having to confront this problem of money, and now eleven years after retirement from it, the problem is still there, wow! Will it ever end? Is it a curse or do we just accept that it is part of our DNA?”

“Playing for your country is a patriotic and honourable gesture just as it is to be part of the government and the military. Just as the others do get paid, national team players, irrespective of where they play or what they earn, deserve compensation for their services to their homeland.”

“Recently the NFF has been screaming at the top of their lungs their lack of funds to operate. That I feel is quite unfortunate when one considers the fact that we are one of the richest nations in Africa and the world! Something must be wrong somewhere and somehow.”

On Africa/Asia’s role in World football

“I feel for decades the World Cup was called a World Cup without real credibility. How could countries claim to have been world champions prior to 1974 when Africa had no representatives at the World Cup, as Zaire emerged only in 1974 in Germany.”

“How could we continue with any real change in the structure of World football if there is no equitable distribution of its management that includes African and Asian involvement?”

“Our continent is the greatest continent on earth. We keep saying God help us, I think when the man looks down and sees all our resources…my country is 170million people, China is a threat to the world now because of their numbers, Nigeria is a threat to the world because we’re a 170million people, Africa is a threat to the world. What does that tell us? If we decide, as a race, that we want to succeed, nobody can stop us.”

On family ties affecting African footballers

“African footballers, I feel, have to remain Africans in spirit and help out their families as much as they can. There is a blessing in sharing but they should know how [much] they share.”

“As an African, your family is always an asset to you, it all depends on how you manage it. As long as a gun is not put at your head to spend your earnings you are responsible for your viability or bankruptcy!”

On coaching Nigeria

“It is no secret that managing Nigeria’s national senior team is a burden and nightmare very few Top coaches in the world want to bother doing, not because the talent or prospects are not there but more or less because working with [these] administrators in the Nigeria Football Federation is a nightmare!”

“If there is one thing I believe Nigeria’s victory [at Afcon 2013] said out loud, it is that African coaches are good! The Ethiopians, Cape Verdeans and of course Nigeria, played about the best football of the just concluded AFCON 2013 and they were coached by Africans. So, Nigeria has to renew the confidence in Nigerian coaches especially at the National team level, and most importantly at the club level.”

On public corruption in Africa

“Corruption is the reason why we are still suffering and the standard of living in Africa is so low. Everything in Nigeria is what the world dreams of: Great weather, green and fertile land, ridiculed with natural resources, manpower resources thanks to our population, loving and laughing people, relatively unpolluted air… the list is endless and still we are way behind in comfort.”

“We fail to acknowledge that government (public) wealth does not belong to those who are elected to manage them on the behalf of the people, but the people’s wealth. Each time a corrupt leader loots, he just robbed you and I.”

On compensation for athletes

“Nigeria’s sports heroes are often left to rot after making their country proud. President Buhari will motivate interest in national glory by ensuring better compensation of our sportstars when they represent Nigeria.”

“The golden generation of 1994 is yet to receive its promised houses by the Nigerian Government. Today, 21 years after the fact some have sadly passed away without receiving any thanks for putting Nigeria on the world map of respectable sports nations.”

On being a footballer

“The good thing about playing for Nigeria is that, the moment you play your first game you’re a superstar. But the moment you play your first bad game, even your father would call and say, ‘My son you’ve put me in trouble.’”

“Education from my school days was the difference in my life. It made it easy for me to analyze easier.”

“As a soccer player, the worst thing that can happen to you is retirement because when we retire, to the man that is 65 years-old we’re still babies. As an African you’re rich only if your family is rich with you, so you have to cater for your family.

“A lot of people have asked, “why doesn’t he go to coach the Super Eagles?” Man, I wanna live long! Inasmuch as I know I am very well qualified for it and I love my country passionately, but I felt that I could share my experience by putting my thoughts on what I found out and what I developed into some means where people can visit and that’s why I set up my website.”

I doff my hat to his words...
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by walexnaira: 6:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
Welcome on board Sunday Olise.
My candid advice to you is that,
be focus, listen to constructive criticism, and never be perturb by pressure from any angle, God help you.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by nathpope(m): 6:34pm On Jul 15, 2015
Chestar5:

lol, badt guycheesy

He married at the age of 19... shocked shocked shocked
Am sure d wife was 17 years old back then...@least..
grin grin
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Jonwesley(m): 7:58pm On Jul 15, 2015
fx45:
Is he no longer an Igbo man?

Please respect the fact that Delta is south south. Now he's igbo now but in other climes he will become delta.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by onatisi(m): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
boombay:
he won't last than a year!
employing oliseh as the national coach is a complete mistake,he should have been given the position of the technical director at the nff rather than national team coach .
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by fx45(m): 8:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
Jonwesley:
Please respect the fact that Delta is south south. Now he's igbo now but in other climes he will become delta.
Which other climes and what exactly is Delta? Are you high on Buhari's cow dung?
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Jonwesley(m): 8:58pm On Jul 15, 2015
fx45:
Which other climes and what exactly is Delta? Are you high on Buhari's cow dung?

You are the one probably high with whatever you call. Otherwise how does one describe someone when issues affecting us as a nation were being discussed quickly changed to create another nepotistic drifts, egotism and bigotry character that tend to divide us. They just banned your radio too. Was Keshi not igbo too as you want to claim, what about Jay Jay Okocha, igbo too... But they are all from Delta State. Not Enugu, not Anambra,not Imo, not Abia, and not Ebonyi. Those are your states that form your Eastern zone.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2015
kennygee:

Bad belle.

Where is your optimism?

Dude is fine sha.

Abuja babe knows it all. Fine or ugly dude
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by saintalive(m): 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2015
Congrats bro wish u all the best succed
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2015
hoping
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by fx45(m): 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
Jonwesley:
[/quote]..... issues affecting us as a nation...

that tend to divide us...
There's no US and Nigeria isnt a nation. The Zoo is a fabricated contraption by the British colonial imperialists. I have nothing in common with you my friend. Get that into your thick skull!

Radio Biafra can never be stopped. It's not just a radio station..... It's a movement!

Just in case you didn't know... States are an artificial creation by past military dictators of the Zoo. It doesn't define a people. Yoruba is Yoruba, whether they be found in Kwara, Kogi or Osun states... Same goes for every other tribes in Nigeria....
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by kenoz(m): 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2015
I hope he didn't bring all this indiscipline and stubbornness to the coaching work.

Or he end up like his predecessor ( Stephen Keshi )
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Danja: 11:08pm On Jul 15, 2015
Oh my goodness another appointment frm d north. A hausa fulani again o!
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by LOUIS6(m): 12:08am On Jul 16, 2015
Sunday Oliseh wore jersey number 15 during his days as a super eagles player...

He was officially unveiled as the super eagles coach on the 15th Of july.... in the year 2015....
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by YabaLeftist: 2:18am On Jul 16, 2015
I so much like this guy and would have been happier if he rejected this job. If he performs badly in this job, the kinda criticisms that will be piled on him will be immense. Nigerians love to hate their national team coach. I'll hate to see him sacked.

He was a great player and wonderful football pundit, but that doesn't always translate to being a world-class coach.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Jonwesley(m): 3:45am On Jul 16, 2015
fx45:
..... issues affecting us as a nation...

that tend to divide us...
There's no US and Nigeria isnt a nation. The Zoo is a fabricated contraption by the British colonial imperialists. I have nothing in common with you my friend. Get that into your thick skull!

Radio Biafra can never be stopped. It's not just a radio station..... It's a movement!

Just in case you didn't know... States are an artificial creation by past military dictators of the Zoo. It doesn't define a people. Yoruba is Yoruba, whether they be found in Kwara, Kogi or Osun states... Same goes for every other tribes in Nigeria....

Keep deceiving yourself as the delusion of your contraptions continues. Biafra or no Biafra the igbos can never be united based on their uncanny nature as a people. Even a common ideology or political hegemony hasn't been seen but they remain a sell out and a bubble burst. Their egoistic and selfish tendencies render them the guinea pigs in the Nigeria political laboratory. Just after Ikemba died and Anambra state became the spectacle of the macabre dance. For a mash of pottage his protege son Peter Obi killed his living spirit and fight. Now look at him and his successor Willie Obiano fighting. How does one explain this? That is just Anambra o! Yet biafra radio is a movement, I expected to hear the people are a movement. I'm sure you have not seen Uwazurike, or know him face to face, pardon if I spelled the name correctly, but still you exhibit the life of a bat. Come and I will expose you into the igbo fait acompli and myopic higi haga!
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by fx45(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2015
Jonwesley:

Keep deceiving yourself as the delusion of your contraptions continues. Biafra or no Biafra the igbos can never be united based on their uncanny nature as a people. Even a common ideology or political hegemony hasn't been seen but they remain a sell out and a bubble burst. Their egoistic and selfish tendencies render them the guinea pigs in the Nigeria political laboratory. Just after Ikemba died and Anambra state became the spectacle of the macabre dance. For a mash of pottage his protege son Peter Obi killed his living spirit and fight. Now look at him and his successor Willie Obiano fighting. How does one explain this? That is just Anambra o! Yet biafra radio is a movement, I expected to hear the people are a movement. I'm sure you have not seen Uwazurike, or know him face to face, pardon if I spelled the name correctly, but still you exhibit the life of a bat. Come and I will expose you into the igbo fait acompli and myopic higi haga!
Yidi Yada!!! Cry me a river....

I said I have nothing in common with you and you're still trying to force yourself on me. That's desperation my friend.... Get a life!
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Saintremmy8(m): 7:30am On Jul 16, 2015
May God lead u 2 achieve & restore de pass glory of super eagles, amen.
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Madeb: 9:13am On Jul 16, 2015
boombay:
he won't last than a year!
who ar u 2 condem pple
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by Nja4Life: 11:09am On Jul 16, 2015
[img][/img]

Congratulations!

Expecting better performance from you.

Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by robosky02(m): 7:14pm On Jul 17, 2015
vislabraye:

His wife is Moroccan. Dan Amokachi msrried a Tunisian.
both married tunisians
Re: Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) by robosky02(m): 11:49am On Feb 27, 2016
OLISEH just added to his C.V.

Ex-Super eagles coach....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maggie Malcheva And Victor Anichebe Catching Fun On Motorbikes In Anambra (Photo / AFCON: Kanu And Other Nigerians Blamed Ighalo For Selfishness / Samuel Peter Knocked-out By Arslanbek Makhmudov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.