Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,613 members, 7,958,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:00 AM

What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? (1078 Views)

13 Pictures That Describe Your Saturday Mornings Growing Up. / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / See The Beautiful Gift God Gave To Me Through Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2015
While growing up, there were certain names we gave to things or creatures we didn't know their real or accepted names or those we just decided to ascribe names to wink Now we know better...though, just remembering them could be such a sweet memory cheesy Below:

1. Skink: We called this reptile with shiny brownish body that lives in houses 'Snake Servant' grin I sometimes wonder how this creature could be the servant of a snake cheesy

2. Navel or belly-button: We used to call it 'Pompu' grin. I believe the name came from the false believe that when you squeeze a navel, it makes the sound of a bicycle horn 'pompu pompu'. Warri, I hail o! grin

3. Hawk: We called this bird of the eagle family 'Ole Fowl' grin This was because the bird dey steal fowl well well, nor be small.

4. Fire Fly: We called this creature 'Star' grin. We likened it to the shinning stars in the sky!!!

5. Dragon Fly: We called it 'Adadamu'. Sincerely speaking, I don't even know, up till today, where this name came from because some families among the Isoko ethnic group in Delta State bear this name.

6. Muscle: We called it 'Power', especially the ones on our arms cheesy

7. Eel: This long slender fish is what we called 'Snake Fish' grin

8. Bush Rat: We popularly called it 'rabbit'. In fact, am still finding it difficult to convince even folks that are as old as me or even older that the animal is just a specie of rat and not rabbit. They would not hear of it as far as it can be eaten, unlike the common house rat grin

Oya, add yours...
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 15, 2015
*Thinking *
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
onomeglo:
*Thinking *
Onome, Warfi babe! cheesy
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
Rapmoney:
Onome, Warfi babe! cheesy
lol u wish,btw we called skink snake wife hehhehehehehehehe and crocodile -lizard father

1 Like

Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by chiangyokay: 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
Meditating

2 Likes

Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by defemidefemi(m): 10:36pm On Jul 15, 2015
PËNIZ: We call it kokoro (yoruba people)I.e insect but the female main part we call it idi I.e bombom.
… May God bless Nigeria with peace…
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2015
defemidefemi:
PËNIZ: We call it kokoro (yoruba people)I.e insect but the female main part we call it idi I.e bombom.
… May God bless Nigeria with peace…
Is kokoro not suppose to mean keys?
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by defemidefemi(m): 11:15pm On Jul 15, 2015
Rapmoney:
Is kokoro not suppose to mean keys?
I mean kòkòkò I.e insect and not kókókó which is key
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by chival(f): 11:24pm On Jul 15, 2015
Rapmoney:
While growing up, there were certain names we gave to things or creatures we didn't know their real or accepted names or those we just decided to ascribe names to wink Now we know better...though, just remembering them could be such a sweet memory cheesy Below:

1. Skink: We called this reptile with shiny brownish body that lives in houses 'Snake Servant' grin I sometimes wonder how this creature could be the servant of a snake cheesy

2. Navel or belly-button: We used to call it 'Pompu' grin. I believe the name came from the false believe that when you squeeze a navel, it makes the sound of a bicycle horn 'pompu pompu'. Warri, I hail o! grin

3. Hawk: We called this bird of the eagle family 'Ole Fowl' grin This was because the bird dey steal fowl well well, nor be small.

4. Fire Fly: We called this creature 'Star' grin. We likened it to the shinning stars in the sky!!!

5. Dragon Fly: We called it 'Adadamu'. Sincerely speaking, I don't even know, up till today, where this name came from because some families among the Isoko ethnic group in Delta State bear this name.

6. Muscle: We called it 'Power', especially the ones on our arms cheesy

7. Eel: This long slender fish is what we called 'Snake Fish' grin

8. Bush Rat: We popularly called it 'rabbit'. In fact, am still finding it difficult to convince even folks that are as old as me or even older that the animal is just a specie of rat and not rabbit. They would not hear of it as far as it can be eaten, unlike the common house rat grin

Oya, add yours...

During my service year, I tried in vain to explain to a fellow corps member that what he was buying and eating was in fact a large rat and not a rabbit. I later found out a lot of people do not know the difference between a bush rat and a rabbit.
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 11:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
chival:

During my service year, I tried in vain to explain to a fellow corps member that what he was buying and eating was in fact a large rat and not a rabbit. I later found out a lot of people do not know the difference between a bush rat and a rabbit.
True talk there. They would always argue that it is a rabbit wink
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Khd95(m): 12:56am On Jul 16, 2015
I free up in Scotland embarassed
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 4:44am On Jul 16, 2015
Khd95:
I free up in Scotland embarassed
Re: What Were The Funny Names You Gave To Things While Growing Up? by Rapmoney(m): 7:26am On Jul 16, 2015
defemidefemi:
I mean kòkòkò I.e insect and not kókókó which is key
I don't think u understand Yoruba language. 'Kokoko' is not key but 'kokoro' cool

(1) (Reply)

A Husband's Answer To A Malicious Wife / Is There Any Problem With getting Married While You Are Still In School? / Kiddies potty training seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.