Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? (7562 Views)

10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / US Announces New Visa Processing For Nigeria / Pls Help Pls : Poland Visa From Nigeria ,Does It Takes 3 Weeks NOW? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 1:52pm On Mar 10, 2009
Hi guys,

I am sooo excited, my first time to Nigeria is just around the corner, only three weeks left, and I am soooo excited!
anything you think I should know b4 I go?

Thnx 4 sharing!what do I need to know?
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by debie101(m): 1:59pm On Mar 10, 2009
welcome to niga the leader of the world, all i think you need to do is get your self welcome and make it easy to adapt, i believe you will enjoy it, I welcome you to NIGERIA!!!!!!
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 2:26pm On Mar 10, 2009
thank you! i am sure that i will love it - from what i heard - everyone who's nigerian wants to be born as a nigerian again (in next life) - same place, same famiily - same house - same food lol
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by morpheus24: 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2009
Udode:

Hi guys,

I am sooo excited, my first time to Nigeria is just around the corner, only three weeks left, and I am soooo excited!
anything you think I should know b4 I go?

Thnx 4 sharing!what do I need to know?

on landing immigratin is quite cordial so have all your paper work ready.

If you haven't been to the tropics, t might be a little hot in the airport so wear light clothing on arrival.

The best places to party and have fun will be on the island.

The people are very friendly so ask if you need anything. Be polite but assertive as well.

Visit the palms shopping mall and the galleria. Best time to go would be on weekdays. Weekends are usually crowded.

Overall be safe and kick back and relax. The pace of life is much slower in Africa.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by tRoOE(f): 6:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
@poster
Oh lard am in the same boat too tongue
Just be yourself and be ready to face those stingy disgusting looking immigration(Avoid giving them foreign currency, give them Naira ahahah)
Be ready to pay some money just to avoid them going through your luggages
Seriously have fun and just enjoy to the fullest
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by DisGuy: 6:16pm On Mar 10, 2009
morpheus24:

on landing immigratin is quite cordial so have all your paper work ready.

If you haven't been to the tropics, t might be a little hot in the airport so wear light clothing on arrival.

The best places to party and have fun will be on the island.

The people are very friendly so ask if you need anything. Be polite but assertive as well.

Visit the palms shopping mall and the galleria. Best time to go would be on weekdays. Weekends are usually crowded.

Overall be safe and kick back and relax. The pace of life is much slower in Africa.

She said she's going to Nigeria, there are 36 states in naija, i think she's going to the east!
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Mar 10, 2009
1. Nigerian is warm and the polution is terrible but bearable.
2. Make sure you enjoy the food and the beach.
3. Nitelife is compared to none.
4. Please and please, never argue with the cops, they are triggered happy.
5. If you are driving and someone scream Smoke!!!, dont stop till you sure in safe environs.
6. Don not drink un"pure" water
7. Do not go to Nigeria to form big girl oh, just respect people and have fun.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in the best nation
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by morpheus24: 9:22pm On Mar 10, 2009
Dis Guy:

She said she's going to Nigeria, there are 36 states in naija, i think she's going to the east!

I don't see any where you indicating going to the east?
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by DisGuy: 1:58am On Mar 11, 2009
morpheus24:

I don't see any where you indicating going to the east?
I 'think' she's going to the east, I've seen her posts before, so im guessing shes likely to be heading east

If possible go through Abuja Airport- less frightening than the others wink

if it's your first trip make sure you go with someone/people you know,

take a bottle of water and face towel, it's hot and humid

take extra batteries for your camera and laptop

leave the cops to your friend they know how to answer them
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 7:26am On Mar 11, 2009
Woow - ok I have been to Congo (Kinshasa) before, and I know I have to expect heat and a lot of sun. But Nigria is my first time and yes - I am actually going to the east. I am flying to Lagos, then I will travel to Enugu by car for a wedding and after I will head to Aba and stay there for a while - so I think I will get to see quite a bit of the country :-)

I have heard about the mall and all those nice places in lagos (victoria island) but i am also very excited to see the land inside, maybe ill even be going to a village! how cool is that. although I havent been there, i do love the country alread :-)
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 11:50am On Mar 11, 2009
ok i have another question (i know it is a stupid one, but i just have to ask).
april is the beginning of rain season, what kind of shoes do i need to bring a long, are sneakers enough or do i need boots in case it should be raining veeery hard? sorry pls help grin
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by GoldCircle: 4:51pm On Mar 11, 2009
wellington!!! grin grin grin
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2009
r u serious shocked
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by morpheus24: 5:46pm On Mar 11, 2009
Udode:

r u serious shocked
You really might need some if you don't want to get your sneakers wet or damaged. really depends on where you are going and what you will be doing.

Frankly I believe staying away from the cities and experiencing the country life is a mcuh more rewarding trip. You get to feel the heart beat of the country and interact with real local people.

Try to blend in by not dressing to flashy so as not to attrct any attention. If you've beento the congo then lagos, Enugu, Aba should e a breeze
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 11, 2009
Not sure how long you've been away but be very careful about food and drink. When you've been away for a long time, your immunity is no longer as strong as before. If you're travelling with kids, pay extra attention to drinking water. Unfortunately, fraudsters are now able to produce fake brands of some of the bottled water.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Leilah(f): 10:37pm On Mar 11, 2009
Wow Udode, you will have a wonderful trip indeed! I was there twice. Abuja is a really cool city we travelled to Enugu also. I would not fly on any of the domestic flights though to be honest even though they may be alright. Don't pay for anything by yourself, always make sure your partner is with you, otherwise you will be charged even more than double. I had massive diarrhorea for the the two weeks I was there. I get it in other hot countries too though. Wish I could go again real soon,  you're so lucky. Your case is quite rare indeed.  wink
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 7:27am On Mar 12, 2009
Thank you guys, ok I will get myself some rain shoes :-)
funny, that you are talking about the dressing - you know in congo you was almost "required" to wear nice clothes as someone that comes from europe, thats what people expect, so i still have some of those clothes with me (others i left there for the people). I hope that wont be a problem, but if I feel that the clothes r too shiny, ill just go and buy myself some wrappers :-)

i know i am so fortunate to be abel to travel these places, but to be honest, i might go and live there anyways, so i do want to adapt fully :-) thanks for the hint with the water, ill be very careful!

oh and another questions - -for my future father in law, i want to bring a nice present, i was thinking of a nice suit but i heard he never wears suit at all (apparantley he is rather old, which i think should not matter for that reason). So you guys have any suggestions
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by morpheus24: 2:29pm On Mar 12, 2009
Udode:

oh and another questions - -for my future father in law, i want to bring a nice present, i was thinking of a nice suit but i heard he never wears suit at all (apparantley he is rather old, which i think should not matter for that reason). So you guys have any suggestions

A nice wrist watch will do. I remember thats what most of my uncles were asking for last time I went back home.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by DisGuy: 4:10pm On Mar 12, 2009
Why do you want to go by road to Enugu? there's nothing particularly exciting to look at on the highway,
its very hot and uncomfortable

you can get your father-in-law white Vests/singlets and perhaps a west brom jersey grin

dont forget your anti-malaria and diarrhoea tablets
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by dae(f): 4:46pm On Mar 12, 2009
Just a few tips for ya;

1. Drink bottled water ONLY (pretty safe) ---BUY CARTONS AND CARTONS OF BOTTLED WATER
2. Watch out for spicy food (spicy meaning PEPPER HOT)
3. Dress VERY light (But dont wear stuff very revealing, i've been hearing a lot lately)
4. Always have a bottle of water with you, you'll get thirsty quickly especially when you OUTSIDE
5. Let you partner communicate for you 90% of the time especially when you around cops
6. Be nice to people and they'll be nice to you, we're usually Nice EXCEPT if we're disrespected.
7. Just to impress youR soon-to-be in-laws, help a lil with house chores (least you could do is do dishes)
8.Try and show some interest in learning how to cook nigerian food (They'll like you more and your husband will be impressed)
9. If you're going to the village, get some antiseptics to put in the water you're gonna use to take your shower. (Eg Dettol)
10. Just like Dis Guy said --- ANTI-MALARIA meds = VERY IMPORTANT --- dont know about where you at, but in America here, before some people travel to Africa they get these shots --
Yellow Fever
Malaria
Cholera
Typhoid
11. A few necessary things (eg Mosquito repellant, some pain killer/headache medication)
12. if you want to eat fruits ---ALWAYS WASH IT WITH YOUR BOTTLED WATER!!!!!!!!!!!! ---
NOW THE FUN PART.
13. Have as much fun as you can --- nigerians are ALWAYS happy/fun/exciting/friendly/warm/nice people.
14 Stuff to take for your daddy-in-law = Since he is old, get him some wifebeaters(Singlet), light pants, someone mentioned a wrist watch(good too), then since he is old, get him some vitamin supplements AND HEY!!! maybe a nice  unlocked cellphone(If he is using one), that will surely make him happy, lol

Nigerians are very fashion and technology-savvy people

Hope this helps!

HAVE FUN!!!!

1 Like

Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Kc0022000(m): 1:06am On Mar 13, 2009
Don't run into debt because of ur first trip to naija, be urself
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 7:58am On Mar 16, 2009
grin u wonder why i want to take the car to enugu? of course I want to see the country. I know it will be hot, but hey, i want to see the real nigeria, not only the hotels, and I do have to experience the nigerian police controls :-) on the road, lol! So i know what everyone is talking about!

Of course I will want to know how to cook nigerian dishes ( i already know how to make okra and cowtail and other meat with tomato sauce, but i am sure there is more to it)

I have my vaccination, so that should be allright. for the gifts, i guess you are right, a nice swiss watch will do, maybe also a cell phone, i am sure he will like it!!!

how about the greetings? here in switzerland we kiss friends on the cheek three times, i heard in nigeria all you do is shake hands. is that true, no kisses on the cheek or hugs for my sisters- and brothers in law??
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by deor03(m): 8:07am On Mar 16, 2009
Udode:

how about the greetings? here in switzerland we kiss friends on the cheek three times, i heard in nigeria all you do is shake hands. is that true, no kisses on the cheek or hugs for my sisters- and brothers in law??

You can hugs all the Ladies,

But i think the men will be happy with handshake. But try to bend your knee a little while greeting.

They will REALLY appreciate if you can COMPLETETLY kneel down on your knees to greet your in-laws
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 9:54am On Mar 16, 2009
i have to exercise that one wink
i am not used to that u know and i dont want it to look stupid!
so you think for my "future" father in law as well as all the uncles it would be appropriate to bend down, ok, thanks for the advice, i hope noone will laugh at me though!!!
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by londoner: 10:17am On Mar 16, 2009
@ Udode, if your in laws are Igbo, there is no need to bend the knee upon greeting them. That is largely a Yoruba custom. Igbos dont generally do that, neither do they expect you to do it.

Have a great time!
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 11:25am On Mar 16, 2009
@londoner

yes they are igbos, so you think a nice handshake (and maybe a little bending) would do?
thankx for the advice
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by morpheus24: 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2009
Udode:

@londoner

yes they are igbos, so you think a nice handshake (and maybe a little bending) would do?
thankx for the advice
You don't need to bend down to greet them since they are igbo. A nice hand shake will suffice. Try practicing using two hands to greet and elder. Place one had on your arm and use the other to shaek. Shows a sign of respect. Also you can hug the ladies and gents but use whats called a side hug not a frontal hug. More appropriate.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 3:52pm On Mar 16, 2009
allright :-) thanx for the advice

anything else i should prepare myself for?!?
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by londoner: 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2009
Udode, you are welcome.

There are a few things, you will probably already know that you should neither give or take using the left hand. Also if person should offer you cola nut when you visit, gladly accept it, (even if you dont eat it).It means they are offering you peace/welcoming you.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 5:10pm On Mar 16, 2009
@londoner

is cola nut the same as bitter cola' i have tried that once and i didnt like it :-)
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by osisi2(f): 5:21pm On Mar 16, 2009
Udode:

@londoner

is cola nut the same as bitter cola' i have tried that once and i didnt like it :-)

no
kola nut is different from bitter kola (aki ilu)
they both have a lot of caffeine and can make  some people jittery.

My advice.
Be careful about foods from restaurants
People in Nigeria eat them and are ok but foreigners or even Nigerians who've been away for a while can't handle it.

make sure you

1.start taking anti malarial prophylaxis at least 2 weeks before your departure,while in Nigeria and 2 weeks after you return

2.Take a typhoid shot from your physician

3.Have a can of "off" insect repellant and use it on your skin frequently to keep mosquitoes away

4.Carry an over the counter anti diarrhoeal medicine.

5.Drink only bottled water,use it to brush your teeth also

6.only pack light clothing,it's very hot

please have a wonderful safe trip and tell us your experience when you return.
Enugu is my second home,show us pictures of the coal city
There's this popular isiewu joint in Uwani,they had the best.I've forgotten the name.
Don't mind all the horror stories, most people go to Nigeria and return safely.
Re: Leaving For Nigeria In 3 Weeks: What Do I Need To Know? by Udode(f): 7:42am On Mar 17, 2009
@osisi

thanx, i will take a lot of pics and then show them to you aiiight :-)

cant wait to see everything and i am not worrired at all, more worried that
i will not come back because i like it sooo much .-)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Amazing Facts About Bahamas, Dubai, And Barbados. / Pls Advise: 3-months Visa To Sofia, Bulgaria! / Bodo-Bonny Road: FG Provides ₦‎20 Billion Augmentation Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.