Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,454 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage (928 Views)

Angela Merkel Wins German Election / US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by chibecanglobal(m): 9:01pm On Jul 16, 2015
JULY 16, 2015 | ADMIN | 1 COMMENT
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has revealed she is opposed to gay marriage and believes matrimony should be restricted to just heterosexual couples.The twice-married Christian said that while she believes anti-gay discrimination must be ‘eliminated’, she draws the line at same sex marriage because there has to
be ‘a difference at some point’.
The revelations came during a 30-minute YouTube interview with German social media star Florian Mundt, also known as LeFloid, who pressed Merkel on why she refused to support gay marriage but happily endorsed equal benefits and tax breaks for same-sex couples.
Speaking during the show, Merkel said: ‘I’m someone who is very supportive of us eliminating all discrimination. We have come a long way; when I remember, 25 years ago, many people didn’t dare to say that they are gay or lesbian.
But the German Chancellor went on to say: ‘For me, personally, marriage is a man and a woman living together. That is my concept, but I support civil partnerships… [I want] equality, but I make a difference at some point,’ she added.
‘I am for registered civil partnerships. I am for our not having any discrimination in tax legislation. And wherever we still find discrimination, we will continue to dismantle it,’ she went on to say according to German broadcaster Deutsche Welle.
When Mundt pressed Mekel on how she could possibly say she is opposed to discrimination while refusing to support full equality, the politician refused to buckle, according to the
Huffington Post .
‘No discrimination,’ she said, adding: ‘Marriage as a man and a woman living together.’
A spokesman for Stonewall, a UK gay rights charity, responded to the comments, saying: ‘Can someone really support ‘eliminating all discrimination’ if they believe that same-sex unions shouldn’t be labelled as ‘marriages’? It must be a quiet week for Angela if her current concern is synonyms.’
Germany introduced civil unions for gay and lesbian couples in 2001, but they do not have the right to marry and are still also forbidden from jointly adopting children.
In early June the upper house of the German parliament adopted a resolution calling for the legalisation of same-sex marriage, which is opposed by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives.
Last month’s gay pride march in the German capital Berlin was a typically festive affair, with lashings of sequins, fake eyelashes, wigs and feather boas, rainbow flags, and even one reveller who appeared to have dipped his penis in gold paint.
‘A day without lesbians is like a day without sunshine,’ read one placard that seemed especially fitting for the miserable weather.
Merkel is the daughter of a Lutheran minister and has described herself as a committed member of the evangelical Christian church.
nigeriacamera.net/german-chancellor-angela-merkel-says-she-disagrees-with-gay-marriage/
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by Orfankwagh(m): 9:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
straight
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 16, 2015
People will tag the Russians and the Germans evil, obviously because of their antecedents, but one thing you cannot take away from today's Russia and Germany is their ability to be sincere in the face of pressing opposition.

It's funny how times change though. 25 years ago, the Nazis and Adolf Hitler were stopped by the French, Britons and Americans from killing the entire world, now the tables have turned. White folks want to turn themselves to animals. Even animals don't do same-sexx mating. . . Na them sabi.

Na 15 years for Naija oooo
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by kellyJames5(m): 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
Its either you are hot or you are cold,you can't be lukewarm.

You don't support the idea but you help them fight for their "right".
Its just contradictory.
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by psucc(m): 9:36pm On Jul 16, 2015
She had made her voice heard.

All I know is that with this development now supported by all including the leader in the US, their days are numbered.
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 16, 2015
kellyJames5:

Its just contradictory.

There's no contradiction in what she said. She only emphasized the need to be socially TOLERANT because homesexuality is already a menace in the western society.

If you castigate gay people, you aren't doing them any good. But the tolerance should be limited to the boundaries of SANITY. Homosexuality is an abnormality that needs not be encouraged. Show them love with the hope that they'll change, but don't encourage it to the point where it seems normal.

Satanic scientists are now bringing up theories to support it, saying things like hormonal imbalance and nonsense... but that was the same science (Darwin's theory of evolution) that fuelled racism when they said Africans were half-monkeys during the slavery era. Gayism is evil and the devil's plan to pervert the world. The countries that agree to legalize it will suffer. . .
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by chibecan: 7:42am On Jul 17, 2015
kellyJames5:

Its just contradictory.
I don't think not liking the idea is the same as breaking down 'all discriminations', as the lady put it. She is speaking from moral angle and what she believes should be obtainable is no marriage status for couples in such relationships.
Re: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Says She Disagrees With Gay Marriage by Phoenix001(m): 2:30pm On Jul 17, 2015
I like this woman a lot, he has spit without having to clean mouth. Cultural and religion issues such as marriage should not be by force, rather by convinction of the majority.
Buhari must be wary of U.S. and do only what Nigerians want.
#NoToHomosexualism

(1) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of When Donald Trump's Wife Did A "Kim Kardashian" For Magazine / "...even God can’t read...Hilary Clinton' email..." :Trey Gowdy / Just A Little More Info On The Lethal Damage Of The Bomb Dropped By US Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.