Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,364 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) (14336 Views)

I'm Thinking Of Relocating To Dubai For Greener Pasture / Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Kokscity(m): 9:59pm On Dec 28, 2005
Mr Seeni

I am not sure where u can get a good Apartment in Abuja or Lagos for Naira 8000. Please explain what u mean by "good Apartment" ? Some Luxury apartment in PH and Lagos go for about $3000 PER MONTH. I would like to see where i can get an apartment that would cost Naira 8,000.

Hey Adood i am glad you did not take the Job, Next time tell them that "Slavery is Over"
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Hero(m): 6:46am On Dec 29, 2005
It is in the best interest of this country for you to stay where you are, work, and send money home from time to time. It's not in your best interest, either, because this country still has some growing up to do.

Take the white man's money and send it to Nigeria.

Then when you reach the apex of your career and you have a lot of money in savings, come back to Nigeria, start a business, and provide jobs for a lot of Nigerians. I think it's unfair that after studying abroad you want to come back here to displace our local graduates (who did not have the opportunity of travelling abroad) from the few well-paying jobs that are available to them.

Stay over there, earn a lot of white man's money, and bring that money home and use it to create jobs for fellow Nigerians. Be a job-creator and not a job-taker!

I concur!!
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Sunny659(m): 4:29pm On Feb 21, 2006
I think it is a ridiculously low salary, esp. for a person so highly qualified as you.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Ndipe(m): 1:05pm On Jan 01, 2007
$3000 a month for an apartment in PH? That's too much. Even in SF, that is the price that you would pay for a top tier apartment with impressive views of the city.

To the respondent, the money they are offering you is peanuts. Please dont take it.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Martins00(m): 11:01am On Jun 07, 2008
I somehow don't believe this story this dude placed here. I worked for BMW here in Regensburg for a year and earned an average of 1,300€ monthly just for only fixing nuts. This dude is not only a Liar but also didnt study here i guess. Even people who didnt complete their primary school earn obviously more than what he was offered.

Its totally ridiculous what he posted here and i dont believe a word of his. I presently study Informatics in UniRegensburg and the one i know tht studied the same earn 4,000€ upwards monthly.

I have a friend here in Regensburg also from Nigeria working for Infineon and studied in Frankfurt. Altough he don't like telling people how much he earns but the last time i saw his pay slip, i was kind of impressed. 4,500€ after Tax reduction!!! shocked

He said something about having a German passport. I would like to know how good his German is and how well he speaks. Cos definitely u must be very good in speaking German to be able to study here.

This whole story is just a cooked up lie. wink Pls stop telling Nigerians such stories.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by eryck(m): 12:28pm On Jun 07, 2008
Martins00:

I somehow don't believe this story this dude placed here. I worked for BMW here in Regensburg for a year and earned an average of 1,300€ monthly just for only fixing nuts. This dude is not only a Liar but also didnt study here i guess. Even people who didnt complete their primary school earn obviously more than what he was offered.

Its totally ridiculous what he posted here and i don't believe a word of his. I presently study Informatics in UniRegensburg and the one i know that studied the same earn 4,000€ upwards monthly.

I have a friend here in Regensburg also from Nigeria working for Infineon and studied in Frankfurt. Altough he don't like telling people how much he earns but the last time i saw his pay slip, i was kind of impressed. 4,500€ after Tax reduction!!! shocked

He said something about having a German passport. I would like to know how good his German is and how well he speaks. Cos definitely u must be very good in speaking German to be able to study here.
This whole story is just a cooked up lie. wink Please stop telling Nigerians such stories.

Was about saying thesame thing All LIES!!!!
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Martins00(m): 1:02pm On Jun 07, 2008
I have several questions for the poster and the whole question i'll ask will be in German lang. This dude is BIG LIAR angry!!!

I showed this thread to my gf and she almost died of laughing. grin

@poster
If u get this message holla at me on my home phone +499482-908349. I have a bunch of question for you and i'll definitely be asking u the questions in German. I got a whole bunch of ppl here who wanna talk to u.

Got ya! wink
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by dnative(m): 1:56pm On Jun 07, 2008
I don't get it. What's so incredible about the poster's claims. Following the logical progression of his posts from the very first. I couldn't see any motivation in wanting to lie. And why would you want to put your home phone here on a public forum just to prove the poster is lying. And why all of a sudden dig up an old post with the last post over 1.5 years old just to prove a point.

Maybe it's just me but something don't seem right.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Martins00(m): 12:30am On Jun 08, 2008
dnative:

I don't get it. What's so incredible about the poster's claims. Following the logical progression of his posts from the very first. I couldn't see any motivation in wanting to lie. And why would you want to put your home phone here on a public forum just to prove the poster is lying. And why all of a sudden dig up an old post with the last post over 1.5 years old just to prove a point.

Maybe it's just me but something don't seem right.

You obviously have an emotional problem me leaving my number behind. If you find what he pasted logical, then you definitely have no idea of the German system. He mentioned being offered 500€ for heading a Company's branch in Nigeria as a "Sale Engineer" after studying "Aerospace Engineering". Do u think studying Aerospace Engineering here in Germany is a joke Not everyone get that chance to study that. The ones that study it dont look for jobs, the jobs look for them. And no one will offer an Aerospace Engineer even 2,000€ monthly

There are people being paid Social Welfare over 600€ monthly just for staying at home and he is telling me he was offered 500€ and he is bargaining for 1,500€ monthly. Tell that to people who don't know!

@poster
sometimes, it might take a while for the truth to come out, but someday, it'll definitely come out!!!
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by dnative(m): 8:38am On Jun 08, 2008
You're right I have no knowledge of the German system. But that's besides the point. I sure don't have any problems with posting your home phone, you can even post your house number for all I care  or for the poster wishing to meet your 'whole bunch of people'

adord:

I promised to tell you how it turns out. They are sticking to the 500€ offer, so i rejected it. Than means i´ll be staying in Germany, where i will get a fair and entitled salary for my skills. I also have some Job offer here. Only that Nigeria was my favorite.
I can´t believe that the company is paying their nigerian engineers only 300€. Thats ridiculous and real exploitation. You can check the Lagos surveys at http://www.salaryexpert.com and see for yourself. That`s one of the negative sides of Globalization

isn't the poster stating that he is knowledgeable of what is a decent wage for his skills in Germany but would prefer to work in Nigeria?

The problem is that there are two kinna of contract. expatriat contract and long term contract (10 to 15years). For long term contracts, they usually pay the location conditions. The HR contact was telling me they pay their engineers 300 EUR. Which i can never believe. In germany i will get a net of 2000 EURO ( i have to choice of staying in germany). But they argue that the cost of living in nigeria is very low. My advantage is that, they are only interested in a nigerian that studied in germany because of the quality skills.

Note again that the poster does definitely knows what a good wage in German should be (and notice he said net wage - which would mean after tax).  The company basing their argument on the premise of living conditions in Nigeria - not surprising and shows how they are willing to haggle to the last euro to get the best deal for themselves. Surprised ? - go find out how much Julius Berger pays their Nigerian counterpart compared with what they pay expatriates with the same set of skills.

@ Greatpeter
Thanx for your information. I think they are just trying to see how i´ll react on the offer, so that they can save as much as possible. If they can't agree on 1500EUR, then i´ll stay in germany.

Here again the poster indicating knowledge of the company's motive behind the offer being made.

I can always get a well paid job in Germany also. The reason i´m so interested in this job, is because i will be the second in charge at the lagos branch and as time goes on, i´ll be heading some other branches that are yet to be opened. That means a lot of responsibility and status and it will be an advantage when i come back to germany. I[b] can never have the opportunity to head a company´s branch in germany[/b].

Without doubt, the poster indicating again here that he is knowledgeable about the rates he should be getting in Germany. And here he states his motivation for even wanting to consider a lower salary going to work in Nigeria.

I had a conversation with the HR officer today. I told him that i cannot accept such an offer and mentioned some arguments why its ridiculous. He told me they are ready to negotiate with me, because they are not so experienced in the west africa region. . We agreed that i should send him a written document that justifies my wish. They are also ready to provide a car, the housing and other extras.

Here the company feigning inexperience in the west african market to haggle wages. Note he indicated they are providing all the other perks and possibly trying to get the lowest salary possible - surprising?

I promised to tell you how it turns out. They are sticking to the 500€ offer, so i rejected it. Than means i´ll be staying in Germany, where i will get a fair and entitled salary for my skills. I also have some Job offer here. Only that Nigeria was my favorite.
I can´t believe that the company is paying their nigerian engineers only 300€. Thats ridiculous and real exploitation.

All said and done, poster is staying back in Germany anyway where he feels he'll get wages commensurate with his skills and qualifications.

I'm still surprised you couldn't see any 'logical progression in the series of posts'. So what's all the uproar with shouting LIAR LIAR. Couldn't you have made your point or state facts about wages for Aerospace Engineering in Germany without discrediting the poster?  Where's the motivation for the speaker for wanting to lie here

*** Hiss ***

1 Like

Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Martins00(m): 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2008
@dnative

I think i took the whole story personal but every normal person would refuse such offer! Somehow, i still find it kinda difficult to believe that he was really offered 500€ to work as an Engineer in Nigeria.

I'm still surprised you couldn't see any 'logical progression in the series of posts'. So what's all the uproar with shouting LIAR LIAR. Couldn't you have made your point or state facts about wages for Aerospace Engineering in Germany without discrediting the poster?

I gave a few hints about that earlier and didn't really mean to discredit the poster.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by dnative(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2008
@Martins00

No wahala. I find it ridiculous as well that a company would even offer that rate for someone to go work in Nigeria. But let's not forget, sometimes these folks gives colour to the word 'expatriate'.  A Nigerian that has lived and work abroad for say 10 years and a European counterpart both with the same set of skills and experience coming to Nigeria for a job offer for an expatriate - you'll be surprised how in some quarters (or in most quarters) there's a quick inclination to want to confer a lesser expatriate status on the Nigerian - just because of skin color or him being a native in the country where the job is domiciled. Sad but true.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Martins00(m): 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2008
@dnative

Although i've not had such experience when it comes to such kind of bargain but i agree with u. Skin colour plays a big role when it comes to working for white people.
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by landis(m): 1:09pm On Jun 11, 2008
3.) How much is the usual starting salary for engineers in Lagos. I need these numbers for my orientation when negotiating my salary. ( I was offered 500 EURO. == 87600 Naira per month

This is a Germans way of deporting you back to your country.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by ayomifull(f): 3:48pm On Jul 04, 2008
landis:

This is a Germans way of deporting you back to your country.

grin cheesy grin

this is really funny but i think its true o
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by adord(m): 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2008
What a coincident, i was actually googling for "german companies in nigeria" when i came across this thread (first result). Actually, i still have the urge of going back to nigeria for some years.

@Martins00
Man Man, du nimmst die Sache aber ein Bißchen zu persönlich. Stimmt ich habe es selbst damals nicht glauben können, dass die mir sowas anboten, aber das ist nun mal die Realität. Genug Deutsch geschrieben. Ich ruf dich auch gerne an, falls du immer noch am zweifeln bist.[/i]

Translation:
Man,  You really take this stuff a little bit too personal. Truly, i couldn´t believe it myself, that they were offering me that amount, but that´s the reality. Enough of writing in German. I´ll gladly call you, if u´re still in doubt.

I hope this mail correspondence will help you have a good sleep in future,  grin. Michael L was then the executive head of Human Resources Sales and Information of the company which has  12,800 employees in over 170 countries. So i don't really believe he was so inexperience. Damn it, how naiv was i. I was evening trying to give them logical arguments why 500€ is not enough. 

i deleted some personal information because i don't know the regulations of posting mail contents in inet, if anyone is interested in it, i might pm it.

Sehr geehrter Herr L Bleep,

Wie telefonisch besprochen sende ich Ihnen die Gesichtspunkte, die ich bei meiner Gehaltsvorstellung berücksichtigt habe. Ich glaube Sie werden dadurch meine Gehaltsvorstellung nachvollziehen können.

Ich freue mich darauf, wenn wir auf einem gemeinsamen Nenner kommen können. Schicken Sie mir bitte wie vereinbart, eine Bestätigung beim Erhalt dieser Email.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bleep

Attached document:
    Berücksichtigte Gesichtspunkte

Wohnung: Nigeria ist ein sehr unsicheres Land. Es gibt jedoch bestimmte Gegenden, wie zum Beispiel Victoria Island und Ikoyi, wo eine gewisse Sicherheit gewährleistet ist. Daraus ist zu schließen, dass Wohnungen in diesen Gegenden sehr teuer sind. Ich habe in Erfahrung gebracht, dass die Miete dort für eine 2 Zimmer-Wohnung bis zu 700€ monatlich beträgt.

Steuer: Die Einkommensteuer liegt je nach Gehalt zwischen 15% und 40%

Rentenversicherung: Meine Altersvorsorge ist mir auch sehr wichtig. In Nigeria ist jeder für seine eigene Rentenversicherung zuständig. Nur so ist das beibehalten meines Lebensstandards möglich.

Krankenversicherung: Die Krankenversicherung steht für mich genauso im Vordergrund wie die Rentenversicherung. Der Krankenversicherungsbeitrag eines internationalen Versicherers für Nigeria liegt zur Zeit bei ungefähr 200€. Für gewöhnlich haben viele Arbeitnehmer in Nigeria keine Krankenversicherung und Rentenversicherung. Grund dafür sind die meist niedrigen Löhne.

Investition für das Studium (Bafög): I'm Vergleich zu den Absolventen in Nigeria, ist die Investition für mein Studium sehr hoch. Ein Teil der Investition besteht aus them Bafög. Dieses muss ich monatlich in Raten zurückzahlen.

Strom- und Wasserversorgung: In Nigeria gibt es kein fließend Wasser, was selbstverständlich hier in Deutschland ist. Man muss sich selbst um die Wasserversorgung kümmern. Weiterhin fällt die Stromversorgung zu 60% der Zeit aus. Aus diesem Grund ist es notwendig einen Generator zu besitzen. Der Betrieb der Strom- und Wasserversorgung bringt also auch verhältnismäßig hohe Kosten mit sich.

Mobilität: Der Besitz eines Autos ist für mich notwendig, da es keine öffentlichen Verkehrsmittel wie in Deutschland gibt.

Ich wohne seit 10 Jahren in Deutschland. In dieser Zeit habe ich mir die deutsche Arbeitsmentalität und Professionalität angeeignet. Meine Diplomarbeit habe ich bei Ihnen  mit 1,3 abgeschlossen. Während dieser Zeit in Deutschland habe ich natürlich einen gewissen Lebensstandard erreicht, den ich auch in Nigeria beibehalten möchte. Dieser ist aber nur durch ein gewisses Gehalt, in them die oben genannten Gesichtspunkte sowie die gewöhnlichen Lebenserhaltungskosten berücksichtigt werden, möglich.

Nach sorgfältiger Recherche und Berechnung liegt mein für mich persönlich angemessener Gehaltswunsch bei 3000€ monatlich.

Sehr geehrter Herr Bleep,

vielen Dank für die Zusendung der Infos. Ich werde mir die Daten im Laufe
der Woche ansehen und mich nächste Woche wieder bei Ihnen melden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael L Bleep

Bitte beachten Sie meine neue eMail Adresse: Bleep@DE.FESTO.COM

Please take notice of my new email address: Bleep@DE.FESTO.COM

Festo AG & Co. KG
Michael L Bleep

Abteilung FH-DS
Leiter Human Resources Sales and Information

Ruiter Straße 82
D - 73734 Esslingen

Tel: ++49 (0) 711-347-4XXX
Fax: ++49 (0) 711-34754-4XXX

puuh so much grammatic errors,  shocked, lol

Sorry, i don't have time to translate it,  but i think martin00 can do it, if you guys ask him. He´s a very good german speaker,  tongue. In short, i was trying to list the reasons (health insurance, housing, security etc.) why i wanted a minimum of 3000€.

The Company i was talking about is http://www.festo.com/cms/de_de/index.htm (or straight to http://www.festo.com/cms/de_de/4957.htm). You can check it out if you like. I didn´t mention the company because i was still negotiationg with them. Some (3or4) months after i refused futher negotiations on the basis of the offer, i got a mail form the HR secretary, that the Position was cancelled due to some internal strategy changes. I guess they coudn´t find a dumb ass, that will study so hard and go back to nigeria earning peanuts, while the company makes millions from his job. I can remember seeing a black guy, the last time i was there. I guess he also decline to accept the offer.

Lets face the facts, they were looking for blacks who they can exploit. If they would have to send a white down there, it will cost them 3 times more than what an engineer would earn in Germany.  I was even prepared to accept the normal engineer wages. i still get angry when ever i think about this company. My would be german boss in Nigeria had the guts to tell me to live at my relatives´ place in lagos. Thats when i told them that i´m not ready to discuss futher on the basis of 500€. One of my friends told me jokingly, that i should have climbed up the table and start mimicking a chimpanzee and ask them if they want me to do more exhibition of their like. Maybe they would have seen how ridiculous the offer was. Back then i was even thinking of calling the press and make it public.

Well, i now have a very good job (aerospace) since 2,5years that i love and to that i earn really good. Nevertheless, i´m still thinking about finding something interessting in nigeria. With my work experience now, i know exactliy what i´m worth. If i should accept any offer, then it must be exactly what a white engineer will get. Nothing less.

So my question, does anyone know where i can find the list of international companies operating in nigeria (excluding oil companies). I can't get hold of it.

EDIT: I reread martin´s post and i think he was confusing what i was offered for nigeria with what i would have gotten in while still in germany. The company actually offered me the normal engineering salary for the first 2years in germany (while taking the training), which i accepted. The problem was that, after the training they only wanted to pay 500€ when i moved to nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Prashanth4: 12:49pm On Sep 10, 2008
Hey All,

I am from India recently I got an job offer from Atlantic Marine Oil Services Nig. Ltd, situated in Ikoyi, Lagos State, Nigeria. They have offered me $ 12.753 (1,458,839 Naira approx) per month with provision of descent housing facility at family status capacity (3 bedrooms apartment) in Lagos State. Now, I need your valuable advice whether shall I accept this offer or should I wait for a better one.

Your valuable advices means a lot to me and my career.

Waiting for the same from all of you asap.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Rare(m): 7:12am On Nov 22, 2010
seeni4ever:

try to go to nigeria and find out everything. that will be a very good thing to do. if they can offer you more than 200,000 a month in nigeria, my brother i will advise you to take without hesitation. cost of living in nigeria is not that bad. you can get a nice apartment for less than 8000 a month in abuja, lagos or porth harcourt even in ibadan. at the end of the day u will be happy that u take the job.

Are you kidding? 8000 a month in those cities can not be termed "nice".
Re: Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) by Horus(m): 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2010
What we have seen over the past few years is a gradual increase in the number of Nigerian professionals based abroad returning home to work. For these Nigerian professionals, there is an increasing awareness of the extraordinary opportunities in Nigeria’s booming economy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / Immigration To Hike Price For International Passport / UK Suspends £3,000 Visa Bond

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.