Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Nelson Mandela Day - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nelson Mandela Day (1217 Views)

Happy Mandela's Day / 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship For Young African Leaders / Happy Nelson Mandela's Day (Quotes, Sayings, Images & Whatsapp Status) 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 7:25am On Jul 18, 2015
Nelson Mandela International Day, also known as Mandela Day, is held on July 18 each year. The day remembers Mandela’s achievements in working towards conflict resolution, democracy, human rights, peace, and reconciliation.

What do people do?
Nelson Mandela Day not only celebrates Nelson Mandela’s life, but it is also a global call to action for people to recognize their ability to have a positive effect on others around them. The day hopes to inspire people to embrace the values that Mandela shared. These values include democracy, freedom, equality, diversity, reconciliation, and respect.

Many people and organizations around the world take part in many activities to promote Nelson Mandela Day. These activities include volunteering, sport, art, education, music and culture. Various events are also held on or around July 18 to honor Nelson Mandela’s works and to promote the different projects that were inspired by Mandela’s achievements.

Mandela Day also celebrates a campaign known as “46664”, in reference to Nelson Mandela’s Robben Island prison number. The campaign was originally launched to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS. However, its focus expanded to broader humanitarian work. The efforts from Mandela Day support the campaign’s ongoing work and other Nelson Mandela charitable organizations.

Public life
Nelson Mandela Day is a global observance but it is not a public holiday.

Background
Nelson Mandela was born in Transkei, South Africa, on July 18, 1918. He is one of the most well-known anti-apartheid activists in South Africa. He was jailed in 1964 for leading the liberation movement against apartheid and for his stance on the human right to live in freedom.

Mandela’s prisoner number was 466 and the year was 1964 when he was imprisoned on Robben Island, off Cape Town in South Africa. The Robben Island prisoners were never referred to by their names, but rather by their numbers and year of imprisonment – hence 46664 was Nelson Mandela’s number. His release from prison in 1990 fed political debates in the country and contributed to South Africa’s transition towards a multi-racial democracy.

After his release, Nelson Mandela continued addressing racial issues in his country and supported reconciliation initiatives. His efforts resulted in him becoming elected as South Africa’s president in 1994. He remained in office as president until 1999. He also won the Nobel Peace Prize, together with another former South African president Frederik Willem de Klerk, in 1993. In 2007 Mandela formed the Elders, an independent group of global leaders who offer their influence and experience to support peace building, help address major human suffering causes and promote shared interests of humanity.

The first Mandela Day was launched in New York on July 18, 2009, but the UN’s resolution to declare the day occurred later that year. On November 10, 2009, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution declaring July 18 as “Nelson Mandela International Day”. The day marks Nelson Mandela’s contribution to peace through his active involvement in resolving conflicts, promoting human rights, international democracy and reconciliation, and in addressing racial issues.

Symbols
Various statues and civic tributes have been made to honor Nelson Mandela. For example, a statue in Mandela’s image stands at Nelson Mandela Square in Johannesburg, South Africa. A bridge, known as the Nelson Mandela Bridge, is also found in Johannesburg. Postage stamps have also been dedicated to Mandela, as well as various musical tributes, in previous times.

Weekday Date Year Name Holiday type Where it is observed
Sat Jul 18 2009 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Sun Jul 18 2010 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Mon Jul 18 2011 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Wed Jul 18 2012 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Thu Jul 18 2013 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Fri Jul 18 2014 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Sat Jul 18 2015 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Mon Jul 18 2016 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Tue Jul 18 2017 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Wed Jul 18 2018 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Thu Jul 18 2019 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance  
Sat Jul 18 2020 Nelson Mandela Day United Nations observance

Quick Facts
Nelson Mandela International Day is annually observed on July 18 to recognize the former South African president’s contribution to peace and freedom.

Nelson Mandela Day 2015
Saturday, July 18, 2015

Nelson Mandela Day 2016
Monday, July 18, 2016

Source: http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/un/nelson-mandela-day

Happy Nelson Madela day kiss

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Bilabong(m): 7:26am On Jul 18, 2015
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Erukumakanaki: 7:31am On Jul 18, 2015
Bruh Today na Sallah for mah side grin
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 7:38am On Jul 18, 2015
Guess its been a while... Me using this medium to reach the world...
Let's celebrate peace, happiness, love cheesy and not hatred, corruption or terrorism.... sad
Mean while Happy Birthday to me grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 18, 2015
May your wonderful soul continue to Rest in perfect peace Mandiba. We miss you!
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 18, 2015
Sandydayz:
Guess, Its been a while.. Me using this medium to reach the world...

. . . . . Happy Birthday and name happy returns to you sis. May God grant you your heart desires.

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Twaci(f): 7:48am On Jul 18, 2015
Sandydayz:
Let's celebrate peace, happiness, love cheesy and not hatred, corruption or terrorism.... sad
Happy buff day dearie smiley

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 7:51am On Jul 18, 2015
Twaci:
Happy buff day dearie smiley
Thanks bae kiss

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 7:52am On Jul 18, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . Happy Birthday and name happy returns to you sis. May God grant you your heart desires.
So touching cry Thank u kiss
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by liricyst(m): 8:27am On Jul 18, 2015
Sandydayz:

Happy birthday dearie. Have a fantastic day. Wish you not just the best but also the very best. May sandydayz see more of happy and glory days. Drink for two. Cheers
I for rhyme for you but I'm rusty

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by liricyst(m): 8:41am On Jul 18, 2015
To the lovely miss sandydayz,
Wish you a sweet day like its candy laced,
May sorrows and you be parting ways,
and an arrival of an unbroken string of happy days

I pray for prosperity, that you would be advancing too,
and only be a recipient of outstanding news,
May He also grant all your needs and all that you choose,
So bend down and lace your dancing shoes
do ya party groove...
sekem, azonto, sweerie display your dancing moves

grin grin grin manage abeg. Happy birthday

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 8:56am On Jul 18, 2015
liricyst:
To the lovely miss sandydayz,
Wish you a sweet day like its candy laced,
May sorrows and you be parting ways,
and an arrival of an unbroken string of happy days

I pray for prosperity, that you would be advancing too,
and only be a recipient of outstanding news,
May He also grant all your needs and all that you choose,
So bend down and lace your dancing shoes
do ya party groove...
sekem, azonto, sweerie display your dancing moves

grin grin grin manage abeg. Happy birthday
cheesy cheesy grin ..... Na shoki dey rain... Thank u.. kiss
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 9:00am On Jul 18, 2015
liricyst:

Happy birthday dearie. Have a fantastic day. Wish you not just the best but also the very best. May sandydayz see more of happy and glory days. Drink for two. Cheers
I for rhyme for you but I'm rusty
Hahah Cheers grin kiss
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Logicalsoul(m): 10:07am On Jul 18, 2015
Wish Nigerian leaders would take a cue from his exemplary leadership..
BTW Happy Birthday to mua...
Re: Nelson Mandela Day by Sandydayz(f): 11:49am On Jul 18, 2015
Logicalsoul:
Wish Nigerian leaders would take a cue from his exemplary leadership..
BTW Happy Birthday to mua...
Maybe the next generation

(1) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak at Ajegunle, Ikorodu Road. / Giant £10million 404- Carat Diamond Found In Angola / So Touching: Funeral Of Peace Mass Transit Accident Victim, Joy Akabuike -RIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.