Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,701 members, 7,831,191 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

What Is Your View On Torture? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Is Your View On Torture? (611 Views)

SARS Operatives Torture A Photographer To Death In Ibadan. Graphic Photos / Wife Of Detainee Loses Pregnancy After Torture By Police (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your View On Torture? by babino22: 11:59pm On Jul 18, 2015
Arguments in Favor of the Torture Debate

First, there are a number of advantages to torturing terrorism suspects. Information obtained from terrorists is often incredibly time-sensitive. The information obtained through torture is used for a variety of purposes. If information is given about an attack taking place in the future, military and government officials can utilize that information in a timely manner to prepare for an attack. Torture allows officials to obtain the information in a timely fashion. Next, many argue that terrorists are deserving of some extra punishment as a result of all the death and misery that they have caused. Torture is a means of providing that extra punishment.
Torture is also justified by many because it is still relatively humane compared to what terrorists to do soldiers they capture themselves. Torture is considered a good method to turn to when needed information is not disclosed by terrorists. Lastly, when tortured, a subject may supply information that was not even requested by the interrogator. This information is often incredibly useful, but officials do not always know the right questions to ask.

Arguments Against the Torture Debate

While there are definitely some advantages for the torture of terrorists, there are also many disadvantages. Torture is considered by many experts as both impractical and ineffective. When people are tortured, the information supplied is often falsified; the person undergoing torture does not have an ultimate goal of supplying accurate information. Indeed, most torture victims are not even capable of giving accurate information. Instead, their main goal is simply to stop the torture in order to allow pain or stress levels to return to normal levels. Another disadvantage is the high rate of attrition among interrogators. It is hard to keep the interrogators psychologically sound when they partake in such difficult activities.
Other disadvantages in regard to the torture debate revolve around the psychology of interrogation regarding the subject of the questioning. Those undergoing interrogation and torture may consider themselves as heroes, not criminals. Interrogators who torture are perceived as dirty and immoral, making the subject even more resistant to yield information. Last, torture causes an array of negative opinions. Those who undertake practices involving torture are perceived as evil, swaying public and international opinion and potentially causing a great number of negative effects.

which side are you.

[url]yourite.com[/url]

Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by CallMeMadMan: 12:01am On Jul 19, 2015
I no even read ham cos na madness dey worry you grin grin tongue tongue
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by babino22: 12:08am On Jul 19, 2015
CallMeMadMan:
I no even read ham cos na madness dey worry you grin grin tongue tongue

just as your name sounds
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by miceroms: 12:09am On Jul 19, 2015
Uhm
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by CallMeMadMan: 12:14am On Jul 19, 2015
babino22:

just as your name sounds
I no wan vex now o!
It's still early grin tongue
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by babino22: 12:17am On Jul 19, 2015
CallMeMadMan:

I no wan vex now o!
It's still early grin tongue

you need rest actually.
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by etiosa97(m): 12:33am On Jul 19, 2015
Am back
Re: What Is Your View On Torture? by CallMeMadMan: 10:30am On Jul 19, 2015
babino22:

you need rest actually.
I just woke up now
grin grin
Get me some weed

(1) (Reply)

Whiteman Moving Explosives And Arms / Shocking: Unknown Gunmen Kill 8 In Benue State / Two Nigerians Among Four Held In Online Matrimonial Fraud Case In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.