Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 (1745 Views)

Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 / L Need A Good Mechanic For My Nissan Altima 2008 2.5s / Photos From A Terrible Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by insideout: 10:30am On Jul 19, 2015
Please all car gurus in the house i need your help. I am new to nairaland. It was recommended to me by a friend. My altima 2008 2.5s guzzles fuel compared to what i read online. The trip computer shows 19.2mpg on city and 20.8 or 21mpg for hwy. A full tank shows a range of 320 miles against to 522 miles i read on samarins.com. The altima 2008 should be 23mpg city and 31 mpg hwy. I need help.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by mayor2013: 12:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
insideout:
Please all car gurus in the house i need your help. I am new to nairaland. It was recommended to me by a friend. My altima 2008 2.5s guzzles fuel compared to what i read online. The trip computer shows 19.2mpg on city and 20.8 or 21mpg for hwy. A full tank shows a range of 320 miles against to 522 miles i read on samarins.com. The altima 2008 should be 23mpg city and 31 mpg hwy. I need help.

Am very sure you should have your service engine soon light. Run a scan on your computer box. Am very sure you should have fault errors there. If you need to carry out the repair or run a diagnosis call 08165520837 or 08156087872. Am running a free diagnosis now
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by bigrovar(m): 8:46am On Jul 20, 2015
insideout:

Before you give yourself sleepless nights, I would advice u to just ignore MPG figures u see online. They don't apply here. Calculating mpg tho one of the most objective means of accessing fuel consumption, it can be very tricky to calculate.

First off your mpg is probably lower than your computer is telling you. Most car dashboard mpg calculation is always overtly optimistic.. To get near accurate figures you need to calculate your mpg by hand/manually.

Secondly: MPG u see online don't apply here (I believe you reside in Nigeria) over there (western and developed countries whose mpg u mostly see online ) they have good smooth roads .. Most roads are tarred and paved allowing for the car to have less resistance .. Most of their cities don't experience the type of grinding traffic experienced here in major Nigerian cities .. All this goes to show that what is considered city driving in France is not same in Nigeria.. In the west city driving mostly means stop (traffic light stop) and go traffic .. Anything that causes u to apply break and downshift every km or half is considered city. Here city means hours on traffic grid lock.. Driving through pot holes and unpaved roads that causes much drag and resistance to ur car resulting in more fuel consumption..

So you see all city driving are not equal.. Even in Nigeria , city driving in Abuja is not city driving in Lagos.

Thirdly driving patterns matters alot. How u drive ur car seriously affects ur milage. Whenever I have someone drive my car. My fuel consumption goes through the roof. Because most Nigerians drive like their off to emergency unit of an hospital.. U see people break hard and and rev the car from gear one before shifting.. All this causes ur car to use fuel. Try shifting early and applying smart lane shifting instead of unnecessarily applying breaks.. Try cruising when you can to allow the potential energy of ur car move it before u apply gas... Generally don't be hard on ur gas. All this means ur driving won't be the fastest but will also save u considerable amount of fuel.

Lastly you might want to do a little tune up.. Start with ur air filter u would be surprised how much MPG u would lose to a clugged dirty air filter.. Dust it or get a new one if it has not been changed before

Check your plugs and ensure you are using the right one for your car. Many in Nigeria don't even know about spark plug specified for their car. Information is available online. Getting a spark meant for your car means it is well gapped to fit your engine. It would be an added advantage to have a torque wrench to ensure plugs are installed to the torque setting of car manufactuer (good luck finding a torque wrench in Nigeria)

You might also want to clean ur mass airflow meter. Those things gather dust over time which affects their ability to read accurating the amount of air entering ur engine which will affect your mixture ratio and your milage. I know a guy on NL who sells maf cleaners ( not available in Nigeria last time I searched) If you can't get one.. It is said methylated spirits can also work (never tried it before) just don't use carburetor cleaner.. that can damage the oring of ur MAF.
Ensure your tires are inflated to specs and not over or under.. U can see the specified tire pressure for your car from around the drivers door.. Below it (from the inside) if I are using a custom rim ensure it meets the car manufactuer specifications.

In all I think you car is OK for a 2.5 litre engine. Another reason to ignore online mpg figures is because most are reported by owners with car of smaller engines even tho same model.

7 Likes

Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by DECOtech(m): 9:57am On Jul 20, 2015
insideout:

You probably don't have a thermostat in ur engine, radiator fan operation has been altered, non functioning AF monitoring system... Etc

Run a scan bro.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by Lexusgs430: 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2015
bigrovar:

Before you give yourself sleepless nights, I would advice u to just ignore MPG figures u see online. They don't apply here. Calculating mpg tho one of the most objective means of accessing fuel consumption, it can be very tricky to calculate.

First off your mpg is probably lower than your computer is telling you. Most car dashboard mpg calculation is always overtly optimistic.. To get near accurate figures you need to calculate your mpg by hand/manually.

Secondly: MPG u see online don't apply here (I believe you reside in Nigeria) over there (western and developed countries whose mpg u mostly see online ) they have good smooth roads .. Most roads are tarred and paved allowing for the car to have less resistance .. Most of their cities don't experience the type of grinding traffic experienced here in major Nigerian cities .. All this goes to show that what is considered city driving in France is not same in Nigeria.. In the west city driving mostly means stop (traffic light stop) and go traffic .. Anything that causes u to apply break and downshift every km or half is considered city. Here city means hours on traffic grid lock.. Driving through pot holes and unpaved roads that causes much drag and resistance to ur car resulting in more fuel consumption..

So you see all city driving are not equal.. Even in Nigeria , city driving in Abuja is not city driving in Lagos.

Thirdly driving patterns matters alot. How u drive ur car seriously affects ur milage. Whenever I have someone drive my car. My fuel consumption goes through the roof. Because most Nigerians drive like their off to emergency unit of an hospital.. U see people break hard and and rev the car from gear one before shifting.. All this causes ur car to use fuel. Try shifting early and applying smart lane shifting instead of unnecessarily applying breaks.. Try cruising when you can to allow the potential energy of ur car move it before u apply gas... Generally don't be hard on ur gas. All this means ur driving won't be the fastest but will also save u considerable amount of fuel.

Lastly you might want to do a little tune up.. Start with ur air filter u would be surprised how much MPG u would lose to a clugged dirty air filter.. Dust it or get a new one if it has not been changed before

Check your plugs and ensure you are using the right one for your car. Many in Nigeria don't even know about spark plug specified for their car. Information is available online. Getting a spark meant for your car means it is well gapped to fit your engine. It would be an added advantage to have a torque wrench to ensure plugs are installed to the torque setting of car manufactuer (good luck finding a torque wrench in Nigeria)

You might also want to clean ur mass airflow meter. Those things gather dust over time which affects their ability to read accurating the amount of air entering ur engine which will affect your mixture ratio and your milage. I know a guy on NL who sells maf cleaners ( not available in Nigeria last time I searched) If you can't get one.. It is said methylated spirits can also work (never tried it before) just don't use carburetor cleaner.. that can damage the oring of ur MAF.
Ensure your tires are inflated to specs and not over or under.. U can see the specified tire pressure for your car from around the drivers door.. Below it (from the inside) if I are using a custom rim ensure it meets the car manufactuer specifications.

In all I think you car is OK for a 2.5 litre engine. Another reason to ignore online mpg figures is because most are reported by owners with car of smaller engines even tho same model.

All this grammar for high fuel consumption matter? OP go don almost suffer from fuel overhang after reading this Bible.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by 9icetoo(m): 8:18pm On Jul 20, 2015
bigrovar:

Op this is the gospel truth. Your car is okay.

1 Like

Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by bigrovar(m): 10:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
Lexusgs430:

All this grammar for high fuel consumption matter? OP go don almost suffer from fuel overhang after reading this Bible.

This is why standard of education in Nigeria needs to improve

3 Likes

Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by sultaan(m): 1:49am On Jul 21, 2015
If you love in Lagos that should be normal.You can't really achieve the highway numbers because you can never drive 100km per hour for 30 minutes straight
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by nissparts(m): 10:44am On Jul 21, 2015
If you have 19mpg in city currently, your vehicle is as good as it will ever be fuel-economy wise, in this country.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by insideout: 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
thanks all car gurus. I nw get about 22 mpg nw. infact i got 29 mpg when i travelled to ilorin Kwara state this morning. I guess my TMPS sensor is very bad. Immediately i guaged my tyres, the fuel economy has improved greatly. But i noticed d TPMS is nw On permanently after the tyre has being guaged.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by sultaan(m): 7:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
What it the pressure now?

Recommended pressure is written on the driver side door. Don't go by the high pressure used by road side mechanic around 33 psi.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by Eyop: 7:44pm On Jul 21, 2015
insideout:
thanks all car gurus. I nw get about 22 mpg nw. infact i got 29 mpg when i travelled to ilorin Kwara state this morning. I guess my TMPS sensor is very bad. Immediately i guaged my tyres, the fuel economy has improved greatly. But i noticed d TPMS is nw On permanently after the tyre has being guaged.

You will have to reset the TPMS after the tyres were Guaged. This would have been done immediately
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by insideout: 8:54pm On Jul 21, 2015
Eyop:

You will have to reset the TPMS after the tyres were Guaged. This would have been done immediately
I did that but the signal is still on
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by sultaan(m): 9:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
Eyop:

How do you reset TPMS?
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by Eyop: 10:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
sultaan:

How do you reset TPMS?

Sultaan, what i meant was resetting the low tyre pressure light that the OP mentioned is illuminating on his instrument cluster. His manual should state how that can be done and he even responded that he did that but with no success.
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by sultaan(m): 12:40am On Jul 22, 2015
So OP what is your tire pressure for all wheels
Re: Terrible Fuel Millage Of My Altima 2008 by insideout: 11:23am On Jul 22, 2015
sultaan:
So OP what is your tire pressure for all wheels
tyre size P215/55/R16 with cold tyre pressyre of 32psi

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Shows Off Nearly 20 Luxurious Cars / Which Car Is Better For That Price Rage / Is It Possible To Get A Car Loan To Start Uber Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.