Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,778 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 (3672 Views)

Honda Civic Transmission Issues / Is Nissan Altima 2008 A Good Car? / Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 15, 2017
Hello,

Can someone assist with a reputable transmission mechanic to help fix the following codes on a Nissan Altima 2008

P0710
P0720
P1777
P0175

The car refuses to engage any gear. it moved a bit after the nozzles were serviced and now it cannot change from gear 3 to 4.

Thanks.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 15, 2017
Any feedback?
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21pm On Feb 15, 2017
Iluv:
Hello,

Can someone assist with a reputable transmission mechanic to help fix the following codes on a Nissan Altima 2008

P0710
P0720
P1777
P0175

The car refuses to engage any gear. it moved a bit after the nozzles were serviced and now it cannot change from gear 3 to 4.

Thanks.

Let me give others a chance.

Cc: Ochucko

Please help the op with a preliminary diagnosis and possible fault.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2017
Iluv:
Hello,

P0710
P0720
P1777
P0175

Thanks.
Since you have P0175, I want to presume your car is 3.5L engine. In that case the model of your cvt is RE0F09B. The first three codes are related to the transmission, and if yours is 3.5L then I'll suggest you tackle P1777 (Step Motor) first. Nissan does not sell it as component unit, rather they'll suggest you change the valve body of which it's a part. The step motor is also used in the the Maxima and Murano of the same years. It's possible too that the step motor for earlier Murano trannys (RE0F9A) may be compatible. I'm saying this because you might be lucky to source locally as Tokunbo. You could also contact Kashif on these boards, seems he can easily source these SMs.
If your Altima is 2.5L, then the primary focus will be P0710, the CVT Fluid Temperature Sensor.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2017
Costee:

Since you have P0175, I want to presume your car is 3.5L engine. In that case the model of your cvt is RE0F09B. The first three codes are related to the transmission, and if yours is 3.5L then I'll suggest you tackle P1777 (Step Motor) first. Nissan does not sell it as component unit, rather they'll suggest you change the valve body of which it's a part. The step motor is also used in the the Maxima and Murano of the same years. It's possible too that the step motor for earlier Murano trannys (RE0F9A) may be compatible. I'm saying this because you might be lucky to source locally as Tokunbo. You could also contact Kashif on these boards, seems he can easily source these SMs.
If your Altima is 2.5L, then the primary focus will be P0710, the CVT Fluid Temperature Sensor.

Those codes are all electrical, and my guess is that it could be a common denominator failure. There is a way to confirm the SM electrical integrity, but I am inclined more towards a harness wahala.

OP, your codes point to electrical issues (lucky you!)
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 3:18pm On Feb 15, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Let me give others a chance.

Cc: Ochucko

Please help the op with a preliminary diagnosis and possible fault.

You too like wahala grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by nissparts(m): 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2017
The answer usually lies in knowing proper history.
OP should provide details of how the symptoms began.
What work was done before it started and what has been done after.

As usual, I will give an educated guess still, trans fluid has been compromised.
Either wrong fluid or water in the fluid.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 16, 2017
nissparts:
The answer usually lies in knowing proper history.
OP should provide details of how the symptoms began.
What work was done before it started and what has been done after.

As usual, I will give an educated guess still, trans fluid has been compromised.
Either wrong fluid or water in the fluid.
Yes, your guess is on course. But I'd apply it if his car is 2.5L engine (QR25DE). The CVT temp sensor is usually the culprit in such circumstances.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 8:36am On Feb 17, 2017
I will be very much interested in knowing how fluid could be responsible for those electrical codes.

Please share.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by nissparts(m): 9:01am On Feb 17, 2017
If you put in Abro atf into this vehicle for instance, you would get a random selection of transmission codes related to line pressure, temp sensor and electricals all focused on the valve body. The trick sometimes is to look at the symptoms.
Normally, you would not get all 3 transmission codes noted here at the same time and really none of them would cause the vehicle not to move at all as the OP stated.
So, except the CVT connector isnt properly seated or TCM is damaged, I would go with fluid as the issue.

In any case the issue did not just start randomly and if the OP offers up more information it will be easier to detect what the issue is.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 17, 2017
Yes, all very well, bad fluid can damage the temp sensor.. Seems the OP is so engrossed with issue to pay any attention here (for the moment). Anyway, since I'm presuming the car in question has a VQ35 engine, I'll still settle for the step motor. The part is so sensitive that it could be damaged by an electrical glitch, improper battery connection for instance. The damage might not even be immediately noticeable if minor impairment had resulted, thus making it difficult to associate the damage to the glitch. At all events, it sure would be less expensive if it was a step motor issue. If the temp sensor was damaged, then another valve body is required, which in our local context means transmission replacement.

PS. I think I read somewhere that there was a recall for (some of) the 2008 Altima cvt fliud temp sensor. I'm suspecting for the 2.5L engine. This can be confirmed by the OP's VIN.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Inception(m): 9:42am On Feb 17, 2017
Costee:
Yes, all very well. Seems the OP is so engrossed with issue to pay any attention here (for the moment). Anyway, since I'm presuming the car in question has a VQ35 engine, I'll still settle for the step motor. The part is so sensitive that it could be damaged by an electrical glitch, improper battery connection for instance. The damage might not even be immediately noticeable if minor impairment had resulted, thus making it difficult to associate the damage to the glitch. At all events, it sure would be less expensive if it was a step motor issue. If the temp sensor was damaged, then another valve body is required, which in our local context means transmission replacement.

In Wole Soyinka's voice: In this Economy?
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 17, 2017
Inception:

In Wole Soyinka's voice: In this Economy?
I'm on the OP's side. I do wish for his sake it is a step motor issue. lol.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2017
There is something you guys are all overlooking. ALL the codes are electrical. It makes a lot of difference.

If he has performance/ratio code(s), then I will agree the fluid could be a culprit. The computer knows the difference between these two. The ammeter in the computer is constantly measuring the electrical behaviour of the actuators and sensors. It knows the range of feedback expected. In electrical codes, its either the computer's signal is not reaching its destination, or the feedback is not reaching the computer (in the expected form/range). Electrical codes will trigger ratio and pressure codes, but I don't see how it could be the other way round.

Temperature sensors are thermistors so they cannot tell if they are sensing palm kernel oil or vaseline. I don't see a bad fluid taking it out.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2017
Costee:

I'm on the OP's side. I do wish for his sake it is a step motor issue. lol.

The attached picture determines if a SM is bad or not. If hooked up correctly, a push should glow the LEDs

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Inception(m): 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2017
Kashif:
There is something you guys are all overlooking. ALL the codes are electrical. It makes a lot of difference.

If he has performance/ratio code(s), then I will agree the fluid could be a culprit. The computer knows the difference between these two. The ammeter in the computer is constantly measuring the electrical behaviour of the actuators and sensors. It knows the range of feedback expected. In electrical codes, its either the computer's signal is not reaching its destination, or the feedback is not reaching the computer (in the expected form/range). Electrical codes will trigger ratio and pressure codes, but I don't see how it could be the other way round.

Temperature sensors are thermistors so they cannot tell if they are sensing palm kernel oil or vaseline. I don't see a bad fluid taking it out.

grin
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
I’m beginning to like this discourse---just what a car forum should be. I decided to look into my library and lo and behold I found three relevant TSBs. The first two apply to the 2.5L engine (QR25DE) and the third applies to the 3.5L engine (VQ35DE). I quote the relevant portions.
1. NTB09-044. It says:
IF YOU CONFIRM: An applied vehicle has CVT Fluid that is discolored and / or has unusual odor. AND The MIL is ‘ON’ with DTCs P0840 and / or P0845 stored in CONSULT III / ENGINE and / or TRANSMISSION. OR The MIL is ‘ON’ and P0710 is stored in CONSULT III / ENGINE and / or TRANSMISSION. P0710 may be stored with P0840 and / or P0845.
NOTE: The vehicle may also have reduced performance during acceleration.
ACTION: Replace the CVT assembly.

NB: P0710 CVT FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR; P0840 TRANSMISSION FLUID PRESSURE SENSOR A (SEC PRESSURE SENSOR); P0845 TRANSMISSION FLUID PRESSURE SENSOR B (PRI PRESSURE SENSOR)
I think it’s clear that fluid quality has a role to play in this malady. Cf. Nissparts.

2. NTB09-148a. It says:
IF YOU CONFIRM Any of the following DTCs are stored in the TCM: P0840/P0845/ P0744/P1777
ACTION: Replace the Control Valve Assembly.

3. NTB10-028. It says:
IF YOU CONFIRM: The MIL is ‘ON’ with one or a combination of the following DTCs stored in CONSULT III /ENGINE and / or TRANSMISSION: P0740 (TCC Solenoid / CIRC)/ P1777 (STEP MOTR CIRC)
If Diagnosis Result leads to “Repair or Replace Damaged Parts”, perform that repair. If Diagnosis Result leads to “Replace the Transaxle Assembly”, instead replace the Control Valve Assembly (Valve Body). DO NOT replace the Transaxle Assembly.

Interestingly the OP has codes, P0710 and P1777, from the two (opposing) groups. Somehow my hunch still remains the P1777 in the second group, i.e., the third TSB.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 10:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
My point is noting the difference between electrical and performance codes when it comes to transmissions. TSBs lead to card level repair, while techs look at component level repair. With electrical issues, it is better to test circuit and computer first (whenever possible) before the component.

From the TSBs, you will see that given the present codes where applicable, it never called for cvt fluid change. Nothing suggests that the fluid is a suspect. There is no P0840 and P0845 stored. Most OEM manuals will call for transmission replacement if the fluid is burnt, because some holding members are burnt. No TSB will call for transmission replacement if the temp sensor fails.

I am yet to see why the fluid is the bad guy in this case.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 17, 2017
Kashif:
My point is noting the difference between electrical and performance codes when it comes to transmissions. TSBs lead to card level repair, while techs look at component level repair. With electrical issues, it is better to test circuit and computer first (whenever possible) before the component.

From the TSBs, you will see that given the present codes where applicable, it never called for cvt fluid change. Nothing suggests that the fluid is a suspect. There is no P0840 and P0845 stored. Most OEM manuals will call for transmission replacement if the fluid is burnt, because some holding members are burnt. No TSB will call for transmission replacement if the temp sensor fails.

I am yet to see why the fluid is the bad guy in this case.
But of course most codes relating to the valve body are also electrical since circuits are involved. And yes ESMs will tell you to proceed from circuit test. I am not for the temp sensor in this (OP's) case, my hunch is for the SM, but clearly the first TSB associates the quality of the fluid with the three sensors either severally or collectively. Yes, changing the transmission is extreme but Nissan leaves no choice by not offering the sensors for sale as component units. The closest you'd get is the valve body.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 12:42am On Feb 18, 2017
Thanks Guys,

Sorry I have been busy with work. I am tracking this issue for a friend.

He managed to take the car to the mechanic after I created this post.

The mech says he should replace the valve body and oil.

I actually told him to wait for feedback from here before he proceeds to a mech.

What do you think about this? Also if I could get contact from any of you guys, he could get the car across to you guys.

Thanks
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 18, 2017
Welcome back. What's the engine capacity of the car? Then, a brief background of the probable circumstances leading to the issue. If it's not going to cause too much stress for the car, I'd suggest you delete the codes and scan again after a couple of drive cycles.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by nissparts(m): 1:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
Iluv:
Thanks Guys,

Sorry I have been busy with work. I am tracking this issue for a friend.

He managed to take the car to the mechanic after I created this post.

The mech says he should replace the valve body and oil.

I actually told him to wait for feedback from here before he proceeds to a mech.

What do you think about this? Also if I could get contact from any of you guys, he could get the car across to you guys.

Thanks

I think it's too late
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
Iluv:
Hello,

P0710
P0720
P1777
P0175

Thanks.

you have been well schooled on the transmission. Time to replace it and rest.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 5:53am On Feb 20, 2017
He needs a diagnosis before thinking of a replacement. Anybody knows how much the transmission costs?
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 6:05am On Feb 20, 2017
Costee:

But of course most codes relating to the valve body are also electrical since circuits are involved. And yes ESMs will tell you to proceed from circuit test. I am not for the temp sensor in this (OP's) case, my hunch is for the SM, but clearly the first TSB associates the quality of the fluid with the three sensors either severally or collectively. Yes, changing the transmission is extreme but Nissan leaves no choice by not offering the sensors for sale as component units. The closest you'd get is the valve body.

The bolded is incorrect. Performance/ratio and pressure codes are more. Electricals are about 20%.

For example, if the flow regulator in the pump body is worn, you will have gear ratio code, stepper motor performance code and pressure code. The reason is that any of those can throw ratio codes. The main culprit is never mentioned!

If the steel balls in the pulley is worn, those codes show up as well. You only have electrical codes when there is electrical failure, which are in few cases.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Perfectfuture87: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2021

Hello all Nissan users,

Please guys, where can I buy a transmission CVT step stepper motor? My car refuses to engage any gear, some times it moves and stopped me on the high way but now has completely stop to move.

My car is a Nissan Altima 2.5s, 4-cylinder. From my research, I think the code is p1777. Please let me know if you have changed yours recently. I want to also confirm if it is the same code as what I stated here or a different code.. Thank you in advance.
Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by Kashif(m): 8:41am On Oct 09, 2021
Perfectfuture87:

Hello all Nissan users,

Please guys, where can I buy a transmission CVT step stepper motor? My car refuses to engage any gear, some times it moves and stopped me on the high way but now has completely stop to move.

My car is a Nissan Altima 2.5s, 4-cylinder. From my research, I think the code is p1777. Please let me know if you have changed yours recently. I want to also confirm if it is the same code as what I stated here or a different code.. Thank you in advance.

Although the code suggests the problem is with the stepper motor, it's rarely the case. The computer throws that code when it commands a ratio change and doesn't see the correspinding rpm changes. Nissan didn't consider belt/cone problems, which is the culprit 95% of the time.

As a fact, the problem is usually with the pressure regulator valve leakage. When this happens, the cones fail to clamp on the belt with the required pressure, causing it to slip. The computer on the other hand is programmed to think its the SM failing to activate the cones.

SMs rarely die. Most outlive the vehicles.

Just to rest your mind about your SM, if you can lay your hands on yours and have the technical capacity, use the attached to check it electrically. There is another procedure for making it move independently on a bench, but it'll be complicated for you.

Guess it's time to replace your tranny

1 Like

Re: Transmission Issues Nissan Altima 2008 by kcorsin: 1:30pm On Apr 25, 2023
If you’ve problem with your Nissan Altima code P1777 … I can fix it contact me 08147784775

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 / Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle / Audi A6 V8 Allroad Quattro Wagon Air Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.