Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,634 members, 7,827,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Does Pogatry Truely Exist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Pogatry Truely Exist (1969 Views)

Tomorrow Will Prove To Me And Atheists That Voodoo( Jass) Exist / Does God Truely Care For Man His Creature? / The Nonsense Of Spiritual Husbands, Wives And Children: Do They Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Pogatry Truely Exist by chidiebere2020(m): 3:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
Guys and ladies lets be sinceer we were told dat pogatry is real and i hav neva seen oda church preachn abt it, my question is does pogatry truely exist
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2015
chidiebere2020:
Guys and ladies lets be sinceer we were told dat pogatry is real and i hav neva seen oda church preachn abt it, my question is does pogatry truely exist

Purgatory doesn't exist.

I stand to be corrected,if anyone can provide proof.
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by kossyablaze(m): 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2015
Hmmm I dunno

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by chidiebere2020(m): 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
Thankz,
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by Assault(m): 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2015
The bible tells us abt heaven & hell so thr existence isn't far fethced,
& all man shall be judged & sent to heaven or Hell... So pls wr did the bible EVER mentioned pourgatory ?
It sure doesn't exist, I belive its a mytheological church doctrene.
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by MuttleyLaff: 6:06pm On Jul 19, 2015
chidiebere2020:
It will be great if you dont mind telling what purgatory is
Also share your personal understanding of what purgatory is all about and why it allegedly exists

ahsekeena:
Purgatory doesn't exist.
I stand to be corrected, if anyone can provide proof.

kossyablaze:
Hmmm I dunno
Providing proofs aside, think italo, Syncan, Ubenedictus or OREMUSSANCTUS are the best to throw more light on this purgatory matter.

Assault:
The bible tells us abt heaven & hell so thr existence isn't far fethced,
& all man shall be judged & sent to heaven or Hell... So pls wr did the bible EVER mentioned pourgatory ?
It sure doesn't exist, I belive its a mytheological church doctrene.
Quite a few other things arent mentioned in the bible but they do exist
however I do agree with you that this is a "pagan" concept,
it is a crept-in-"pagan"-concept-turned doctrine embraced and adopted by whosoever practises it

This practice and any teaching that the fate of those in a purgatory can be affected by the actions (i.e. prayers) of the living, gives false hope to the dead

One cant pray to the dead, nor can the dead be prayed or paid for (i.e. indulgences)

Though Psalm 49:6 and 1 Timothy 2:5 both clearly disagrees with it,
the below excerpt is Johann Tetzel boasting that he saved more souls by indulgences than the Apostle Peter by his preaching:

I would not exchange my privileges for those of St. Peter in heaven;
for I have saved more souls by my indulgences than the apostle by his sermons...
at the very instant that the money rattles at the bottom of the chest
the soul escapes from purgatory and flies liberated to heaven"
(D'Aubigne's History of the Reformation, Vol. 1, p. 241-242)

Psalm 49:6
Certainly a man cannot rescue his brother; he cannot pay God an adequate ransom price

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one intermediary between God and humanity, Christ Jesus, himself human,

This is funny, as ironically, Johann Tetzel was preaching indulgences to aid the construction of St. Peter's at Rome
Johann Tetzel was later labelled as having extremist views in regards to purgatory and/or indulgences, by the authorities he was under or representing,
was abandoned and left hang to dry after the Martin Luther onslaughts on the subject

As said earlier, italo, Syncan, Ubenedictus or OREMUSSANCTUS perhaps are best, to throw more light on purgatory or to make clarifications on it.
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2015
Psalm 66:12
Thou didst let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet thou hast brought us forth to a spacious place.

This verse was considered a proof of purgatory by Origen[4] and St. Ambrose, [5] who posits the water of baptism and the fire of purgatory.

Ecclesiastes 12:14
For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Isaiah 4:4
When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgement and by a spirit of burning.(see also Isaiah 1:25-26)

St. Francis de Sales, the great Catholic apologist of the 16th century, commented on this verse as follows:
This purgation made in the spirit of judgment and of burning is understood of Purgatory by St. Augustine, in the 20th Book of theCity of God,chapter 25. And in fact this interpretation is favoured by the words preceding, in which mention is madeof the salvation of men.
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by italo: 6:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
We all know that purgatory is real, thats why we all have religious funerals for our dead family members. That's why we all pray: "May his/her soul rest in peace."

If the person is in heaven, the person would already be resting in peace, so that prayer would be meaningless.

If the person is in hell, the person would already be burning, without any chance of resting in peace, so that prayer would be meaningless.

But if the person is in purgatory, the prayer for his speedy release to heaven makes perfect sense.
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by MuttleyLaff: 7:07pm On Jul 19, 2015
FrancisTony:
Psalm 66:12
Thou didst let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet thou hast brought us forth to a spacious place.

This verse was considered a proof of purgatory by Origen[4] and St. Ambrose, [5] who posits the water of baptism and the fire of purgatory.

Ecclesiastes 12:14
For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Isaiah 4:4
When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgement and by a spirit of burning.(see also Isaiah 1:25-26)

St. Francis de Sales, the great Catholic apologist of the 16th century, commented on this verse as follows:
This purgation made in the spirit of judgment and of burning is understood of Purgatory by St. Augustine, in the 20th Book of theCity of God,chapter 25. And in fact this interpretation is favoured by the words preceding, in which mention is madeof the salvation of men.

italo:
We all know that purgatory is real, thats why we all have religious funerals for our dead family members.
That's why we all pray: "May his/her soul rest in peace."

If the person is in heaven, the person would already be resting in peace, so that prayer would be meaningless.

If the person is in hell, the person would already be burning, without any chance of resting in peace, so that prayer would be meaningless.

But if the person is in purgatory, the prayer for his speedy release to heaven makes perfect sense

Both posters quoted above have interesting remarks here
but let's forget "purgation" for a while and tackle purgatory as a concept or doctrine taught
1) What is purgatory, what place is it, who ends up there?
2) Where are the "dead in sin" now?
3) What is distinct between purgatory, Sheol and the Lake of Fire?
4) When does purgation kick in or when does it start (i.e. at what point of time does this happen)?
5) Can one really pray for the dead, is performing "last rites" for the dying or praying for the dead without contrite conviction fruitfrul at all?
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by italo: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

Both posters quoted above have interesting remarks here
but let's forget "purgation" for a while and tackle purgatory as a concept or doctrine taught
1) What is purgatory, what place is it, who ends up there?
2) Where are the "dead in sin" now?
3) What is distinct between purgatory, Sheol and the Lake of Fire?
4) When does purgation kick in or when does it start (i.e. at what point of time does this happen)?
5) Can one really pray for the dead, is performing "last rites" or praying for the dead without contrite conviction fruitfrul at all?

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

III. THE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin." From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.610 The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.611

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by MuttleyLaff: 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
italo:
Catechism of the Catholic Church:

III. THE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin." From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.610 The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.611
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by Ubenedictus(m): 11:00pm On Jul 20, 2015
chidiebere2020:
yes purgatory does exist, because many who die in the justify grace of Christ are still imperfect hence the need for purgation
Re: Does Pogatry Truely Exist by Ubenedictus(m): 12:38am On Aug 28, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
It will be great if you dont mind telling what purgatory is
Also share your personal understanding of what purgatory is all about and why it allegedly exists
italo has already done this.

Providing proofs aside, think italo, Syncan, Ubenedictus or OREMUSSANCTUS are the best to throw more light on this purgatory matter.

Quite a few other things arent mentioned in the bible but they do exist
however I do agree with you that this is a "pagan" concept,
it is a crept-in-"pagan"-concept-turned doctrine embraced and adopted by whosoever practises it

This practice and any teaching that the fate of those in a purgatory can be affected by the actions (i.e. prayers) of the living, gives false hope to the dead

One cant pray to the dead, nor can the dead be prayed or paid for (i.e. indulgences)

sorry to burst ur bubble there is actually a christian teaching that says d dead can be prayed for. It is called "communion of saints".

Though Psalm 49:6 and 1 Timothy 2:5 both clearly disagrees with it,
the below excerpt is Johann Tetzel boasting that he saved more souls by indulgences than the Apostle Peter by his preaching:

I would not exchange my privileges for those of St. Peter in heaven;
for I have saved more souls by my indulgences than the apostle by his sermons...
at the very instant that the money rattles at the bottom of the chest
the soul escapes from purgatory and flies liberated to heaven"
(D'Aubigne's History of the Reformation, Vol. 1, p. 241-242)

Psalm 49:6
Certainly a man cannot rescue his brother; he cannot pay God an adequate ransom price

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one intermediary between God and humanity, Christ Jesus, himself human,

This is funny, as ironically, Johann Tetzel was preaching indulgences to aid the construction of St. Peter's at Rome
Johann Tetzel was later labelled as having extremist views in regards to purgatory and/or indulgences, by the authorities he was under or representing,
was abandoned and left hang to dry after the Martin Luther onslaughts on the subject

As said earlier, italo, Syncan, Ubenedictus or OREMUSSANCTUS perhaps are best, to throw more light on purgatory or to make clarifications on it.

Tetzel was a culprit of the exagerations of his time! His speech is ofcourse incorrect, but you already know that and you already know catholics do not believe that but you'll still try to use it for arguement sake.

(1) (Reply)

Does God Reveal Exam Questions to Christians ?? / Do Muslims And Christians Worship The Same God? / Why Do Christians Pray On Mountains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.