Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment (866 Views)

7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” / How I've Been Coping With This Unemployment After Nysc / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by GANDALF1(m): 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
Given the diverse backgrounds and characteristics of workers striving to achieve the common goal of their respective organisations, the office environment is normally fun to be in. But underneath the sweet chats and smiles, lie the dirt and intrigues that require utmost care in handling especially for new entrants. An employee can successfully manage these intrigues by following outlined tips below.
• AVOID OFFICE POLITICS
This is perhaps, the hardest thing to do in an office environment but it is also the best way to save oneself from the hassles of unnecessary work stress. Most work veterans will try to convince you that avoiding office politics is an impossible venture but from my work experience, I tell you it is 101% possible and will save you a lot. You can start by avoiding office gossips; being professional in your dealings with colleagues and bosses; not being the subject of favouritism, by seeking only rewards earned by you; not being a sycophant; and learning how to be assertive without being disrespectful. Obeying the above listed points will definitely get you in the black-book of many colleagues and bosses who are used to office politics and will certainly deprive you of promotions, good appraisals, perk positions, and other goodies which many workers strive to earn in the short-run but imbibing them as your customs and personal traits will definitely see you attaining all those goodies and even more in the long-run.
• DO THE RIGHT THING AT ALL TIMES
In addition to avoiding office politics, you must also strive to do the right thing in all situations whilst obeying all rules, regulations and policies of your employers. Avoiding office politics will definitely make you the most targeted specie in your office environment and there is a popular African adage which goes as follows “one who has been earmarked for roasting should not make the job easier for the cook by rubbing fuel oil on his/her body”. Hence, upholding the rules of the office will greatly reduce the number of queries and witch-hunts/vendetta you will pass through and will also improve your standing as a quality and professional employee.
• HANDLE YOUR WORK IN A TIMELY MANNER
The key to achieving this very important point is to treat all work and functions as they come to you while making it a habit to maintain a clean desk policy at every point during work hours. This is one thing I have observed about highly effective workers and it is part of what distinguishes them in the office environment. The amount of unattended files/notes on one’s desk does not define a worker as being productive and hardworking; instead, it reveals the level of ineffectiveness and inefficiency of such a worker. Keeping jobs for later and putting the blame on work pressure also shows lack of time management ability of the concerned employee and such negatives are surely not the qualities an outstanding employee would want to showcase. Thus, tidying up your work on time will definitely stand you out as an effective and efficient employee thereby gathering more positive points for you in your office environment.
• MAINTAIN A DISTINCT WORK - PERSONAL LIFE BALANCE
Keep your personal life personal and never mix it up with your work. Be professional in the office, do what is expected from you by your employers, treat your customers with the best of service, respond to your queries with the necessary response (pun intended), and in all, exceed all that is required of you in the office environment. But, let it end there! Once you have crossed the exit of your office doors, gates, or boundaries; pick up your personal life and make the best out of it. Spend time with your family, friends and loved ones; read your books and learn new things; attend your parties; take your vacations; settle your issues with your spouse (pun); and most importantly, enjoy your legal personal life to the fullest. An imbalance in your work-personal life has its consequences and any slight shift in one of the variables affects the other greatly. Also remember to keep the happenings in both spheres of life separate and confidential i.e. don’t discuss the office outside the office and don’t discuss your personal adventures in the office.
• DONT TAKE OFFICE HAPPENINGS PERSONAL
You will be penalised for coming to work late, not meeting up with set deadlines, not delivering excellent customer service, etc. These are normal with every office environment. Some even tend to be extreme with elements of vendetta and witch-hunting from bosses you stepped on their toes by playing or avoiding office politics. But whatever is the situation you have found yourself in, never take such penalties personal. That way, you will attain for yourself, a calm spirit and the peace of mind required to forgo vengeance and wicked thoughts. See every happening as a phase with a definite timeline and end date, and also learn forgive with ease.
• SEE THE BUSINESS AS YOUR OWN AND MAKE IT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GROW IT.
Be loyal to your employers and by extension the business, and treat your work with the level of seriousness you would give it if it were to be your own business or enterprise. Never allow the actions or inactions of your bosses, colleagues and subordinates to affect your zeal for the job, ensure you deliver more than your quota always and set personal targets for yourself. Allowing your outstanding qualities to wane because of immediate office related issues can help you become a below-average employee with its attendant habits which will become difficult to break from, even if you eventually start up your own business or enterprise in the future.
• ALWAYS REMEMBER THERE IS LIFE AFTER WORK
You will leave your present job role someday, no matter your rank, level, whether you founded the business or not. In the end, it is either you resigned honourably, or were sacked for wrongdoing, retrenched/downsized out, asked to resign/step aside and the ultimate - you died on the job. While you will hardly have any control over your exit from the job, it is definitely something that would happen in the future. Thus ask yourself these salient questions:
What will I do if I am sacked today?
How will I cope?
Will my colleagues be there for me?
Will my family be there for me?
Would I be seen to have performed my role to the best of my ability?
And finally, will God be happy with me

Source: http://www.invespreneur.com/index.php/11-mentoring/27-7-tips-for-coping-in-an-office-environment

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by INTROVERT(f): 8:22pm On Jul 19, 2015
Avoiding office politics ke
Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by GANDALF1(m): 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
INTROVERT:
Avoiding office politics ke

Saves you a lot of stress in the long run
Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by LaurelP(m): 9:06pm On Jul 19, 2015
U cant avoid office politics. if u dont play it, someone will play it against u.
Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:33pm On Jul 19, 2015
Very nice,timely and informative post. It is very much possible to avoid office politics. The post clearly points that to us. One should avoid office gossips and most importantly avoid being a "boss pleaser". Don't get me wrong here. I am not saying you should not respect or obey your boss but doing it at the expense of your health, happiness or safety in order to be in the good books of your boss, is uncalled for.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by obajoey(m): 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
another name for office politics is sometimes called "eyes service" very common with ladies who have nothing upstairs so they do things to look good in the face of the boss at the expense of their colleagues.

Trust me if you can hold your ground and you know what you are doing, you will out-shine them.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips For Coping In An Office Environment by GANDALF1(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2015
It may seem hard but it is very possible to abide by the tips highlighted. Speaking from years of experience, it is a sure way to get u to the promise land in the long run.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Vacancy / Hi / Cash Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.