Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

The Lost City Of Pompeii. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Lost City Of Pompeii. (8519 Views)

Photos: The Beautiful African City Of Windhoek, Capital Of Namibia / Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / The Night View Of City Of Bauchi (Wambai Gate) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:
I've always found the history of Pompei interesting. Such a beautiful city went down in less than 24 hours if I'm right.

Seriously no escape, even if you own a private jet to fly you out.

I read there were survivors.

Definitely babe, more people survived but thousands died in Pompeii and other neighbouring cities/villages.

"The remains of 2,000 men, women, and children were found at Pompeii. After perishing from asphyxiation, their bodies were covered with ash that hardened and preserved the outline of their bodies. Later, their bodies decomposed to skeletal remains, leaving a kind of plaster mould behind."

Source: http://www.history.co.uk/this-day-in-history/August-24

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 20, 2015

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 8:00am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:

Definitely babe, more people survived but thousands died in Pompeii and other neighbouring cities/villages.

"The remains of 2,000 men, women, and children were found at Pompeii. After perishing from asphyxiation, their bodies were covered with ash that hardened and preserved the outline of their bodies. Later, their bodies decomposed to skeletal remains, leaving a kind of plaster mould behind."

Source: http://www.history.co.uk/this-day-in-history/August-24

Pliny, the Younger was only 17 when it happened. Poor boy. sad

He said they covered their heads with pillows and all that. My question is, apart from the bodies covered with ash that hardened and preserved the outlines of their bodies, were there survivors. Like real survivors like the ones in Titanic.

Pliny doesn't count as he was only an eye witness. His uncle would have survived but he died from suffocation too.

Was there any, "I was there, but miraculously saved and I didn't suffer from asphyxiation" person?

Just curious.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 8:02am On Jul 20, 2015
aminho:
nice Sile12 I toured the place in Italy 2012

I want to have this experience too. I long for it so much that it's choking me up.

Aarrrrrrgh!
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 20, 2015
Plaster cast of two victims found above the garden area.

When excavated, one of the fallen lay on her left side, her head was to the east and her legs were to the west, slightly contracted. The other lay on her right side with her head on the bosom of the first, with their arms entwined around each other.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

Pliny, the Younger was only 17 when it happened. Poor boy. sad

He said they covered their heads with pillows and all that. My question is, apart from the bodies covered with ash that hardened and preserved the outlines of their bodies, were there survivors. Like real survivors like the ones in Titanic.

Pliny doesn't count as he was only an eye witness. His uncle would have survived but he died from suffocation too.

Was there any, "I was there, but miraculously saved and I didn't suffer from asphyxiation" person?

Just curious.

If you can check the post from the start, you will see a document of a man that interviewed survivors. So people survived.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 20, 2015
Mosaic floors in Pompeii

source: http://www.pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/R1/1%2006%2002%20p5.htm

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 20, 2015
A stone bed.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 20, 2015

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by baba11(m): 9:00am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

I want to have this experience too. I long for it so much that it's choking me up.

Aarrrrrrgh!
You'll even know more about it when you watch a movie 'Pompeii'.Everything is detailed in the movies.

A Nigerian was one of the lead actors in it!
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2015
baba11:

You'll even know more about it when you watch a movie 'Pompeii'.Everything is detailed in the movies.

A Nigerian was one of the lead actors in it!

I've seen that movie as many times as I can remember. But I'm sure it can't be as real as visiting the city.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 9:06am On Jul 20, 2015
Mt. Vesuvius is still considered an active volcano. The most recent eruption occurred in 1944, and experts believe that a massive eruption could happen again soon, posing potential danger to the more than 2 million people who now live in the area.

I rest my case.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by baba11(m): 9:11am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

I've seen that movie as many times as I can remember. But I'm sure it can't be as real as visiting the city.
I concur but at the same time,the ruins in the city can't give you the clues you so much desired except some archeological facts about it you'll be made to see..
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 9:41am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:

If you can check the post from the start, you will see a document of a man that interviewed survivors. So people survived.

Pliny right? He was the only person that "interviewed" (preferably) observed survivors and described the events in a letter to his friend, Tacitus.

Personally, I don't think anybody at Pompeii survived in the real sense of it. Perhaps people at neighboring cities like Misenum (where Pliny lived), Stabiae and Herculaneum survived to a certain extent.

Read Pliny's letters here: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 9:43am On Jul 20, 2015
baba11:

I concur but at the same time,the ruins in the city can't give you the clues you so much desired except some archeological facts about it you'll be made to see..

Yeah. That's the point. I want to SEE them not just read about them or the altered stories in movies.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

Pliny right? He was the only person that "interviewed" (preferably) observed survivors and described the events in a letter to his friend, Tacitus.

Personally, I don't think anybody at Pompeii survived in the real sense of it. Perhaps people at neighboring cities like Misenum (where Pliny lived), Stabiae and Herculaneum survived to a certain extent.

Read Pliny's letters here: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm

Actually I don't believe this man to be the only survivor, but may be one of the documented survivors. Many people will witness, will be injured during the eruption and survive but will not have the opportunity to tell like this man. If something like this is happening today, you will see people running for their lives, at the same time taking pictures and uploading with a caption like "eruption things". You know level of technology today, and don't forget we re talking about what happened almost 2,000years ago compared to Titanic of 103years ago, tracing survivors will be difficult.

Another thing is, people died so much in Pompeii because they were trapped. The only route to escape is through the port/harbour, but the congestion at Port where people were trying to get on boats or ship was much. Thousands of people trying to get out of the city. If you've seen the movie.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by baba11(m): 10:16am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

Yeah. That's the point. I want to SEE them not just read about them or the altered stories in movies.
I love that... wishing you safe and successful journey to and fro from there shocked
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 10:29am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:

Actually I don't believe this man to be the only survivor, but may be one of the documented survivors. Many people will witness, will be injured during the eruption and survive but will not have the opportunity to tell like this man. If something like this is happening today, you will people running for their lives, at the same time taking pictures and uploading with a caption like "eruption things". You know level of technology today, and don't forget we re talking about what happened almost 2,000years ago compared to Titanic of 103years ago, tracing survivors will be difficult.

Another thing is, people died so much in Pompeii because they were trapped. The only route to escape is through the port/harbour, but the congestion at Port where people were trying to get on boats or ship was much. Thousands of people trying to get out of the city. If you've seen the movie.

Oh yeah. That's true. I remember that part from the movie.

Your explanation makes sense.

Oya let's go to Pompeii cheesy
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 20, 2015
Scientists claims that the hit didn't just come in a day, it has been giving warning for days, even in the movie but it was it was ignored.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 10:30am On Jul 20, 2015
baba11:

I love that... wishing you safe and successful journey to and fro from there shocked

grin
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Caracta(f): 10:32am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:
Scientists claims that the hit didn't just come in a day, it has been giving warning for days, even in the movie but it was it was ignored.

Yes. The signs were there but they were probably not "educated" enough to do anything. Or what could they have done?

The hits could even be explained as signs from the gods. cheesy
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Ligxy(f): 10:49am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:

Actually I don't believe this man to be the only survivor, but may be one of the documented survivors. Many people will witness, will be injured during the eruption and survive but will not have the opportunity to tell like this man. If something like this is happening today, you will see people running for their lives, at the same time taking pictures and uploading with a caption like "eruption things". You know level of technology today, and don't forget we re talking about what happened almost 2,000years ago compared to Titanic of 103years ago, tracing survivors will be difficult.

Caption like ''eruption thingz'' really got me cracking. grin
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 20, 2015
Ligxy:

Caption like ''eruption thingz'' really got me cracking. grin

Abi now grin
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 20, 2015
Caracta:

Oh yeah. That's true. I remember that part from the movie.

Your explanation makes sense.

Oya let's go to Pompeii cheesy

Make we go now wink
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by baba11(m): 11:03am On Jul 20, 2015
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 20, 2015
Sile12:
Latrine.

source: http://www.pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/R7/7%2012%2018%20p2.htm

Na so dem bin dey shiit dat time?
Na wa o. U go need sniper telescope to see the hole properly
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 20, 2015
Before the eruption of 79 AD there was not even a word for Volcano, which was created afterwards. Volcano derives from the word Vulcan the Roman God of the Flame and Metal Forgery.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 20, 2015
The Ruins of Pompeii are visited by over 2.6 million people per year.

Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Titidi(f): 1:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
SirHouloo:
Was it a punishment from God, a gain of negligence from the people or fate?
What do we call this? The pains involved and the likes is better imagined than experienced.

I think it's nature, it's not a spiritual thing
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by UjSizzle(f): 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
I remember the first time i watched a documentary about the city. Since then I've been obsessed with it... it's even in my bucket list for when i visit Italy (alongside Venice and Rome).
What's strange is that there are people who still settle around this area even with the knowledge that Mt. Vesuvius could erupt anytime.

Humans.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2015
darefestus:

Ignorance!

That much was stated, that the last eruption happened thousands of years before theirs.

We take science for granted now, but then they didnt have the luxury.

Imagine sitting in a house all glowy, when just underneath you is a furiously brimming magma-Exactly.

Nice job @OP
Just like Yellowstone, the mega volcanic eruption/ earthquake that the whole of west coast and Pacific northwest and the rest of them are sitting on. I pray I won't be around US when the sh!t happens.
Re: The Lost City Of Pompeii. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2015
Deleted the movie from my laptop some days back,but the way Caracta has been analysing it ehn,I need to right click on my recycling bin,need to watch the movie again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does Typical Parttime Work Pay For Studnets In London / Street Photography Of Banjul, Gambia (All Photos) / My waka poxgram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.