Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months (1556 Views)

Please Help me. My 1999 Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke and Consuming Fuel / 1999 Toyota Camry (pencil Ligjt) VS 1999 Mercedes-benz C200 (c-class) / The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by maestro09: 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
Please I am planning on leaving town for about 6 months and I want to know what to do to my car to make sure it doesn't deteriorate so I can meet it in a good condition by the time I get back.i don't have a garage but only a parking port.thank you.
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2015
Lose the tires, and cover the car.
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:17am On Jul 21, 2015
maestro09:
Please I am planning on leaving town for about 6 months and I want to know what to do to my car to make sure it doesn't deteriorate so I can meet it in a good condition by the time I get back.i don't have a garage but only a parking port.thank you.

Disconnect batt terminals.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by ogawisdom(m): 7:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
Put some rat poison at certain areas of d car to arrest any rat dt wants to mess with ur car wiring or sth undecided

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by WAJW: 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2015
Remove the tires and put it on suspension. Then make an insurance cover on it for that short period. Contact me for the insurance cover 07032251160
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by dokiOloye(m): 10:38pm On Aug 07, 2015
Wash it thoroughly to remove sand and dirt thereby minimising chances of rust.
If possible,suspend d tires or insert wood/flat plank under each tire.
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by eherbal(m): 12:32am On Aug 08, 2015
Drain your engine oil!
Take out your car sound system including your woofer if you have one
Empty fuel tank
Take out your battery
Take out all four tyres
Take out spark plugs
These measures are to prevent problems for the vehicle and to guard against car vandals cool
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by marshalcarter: 8:04am On Aug 08, 2015
Lolzzz......Nlanders nd comment...chai...

See....buddy....bring it to ma house....go nd cum back nd take ur car in gud condition
Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by adanny01(m): 11:18am On Aug 08, 2015
eherbal:
Drain your engine oil!
Take out your car sound system including your woofer if you have one
Empty fuel tank
Take out your battery
Take out all four tyres
Take out spark plugs
These measures are to prevent problems for the vehicle and to guard against car vandals cool

He should fill the fuel tank not empty it. Petrol vaporizes into the air. An empty tank has alot of empty space to vaporize the small fuel that will remain so the best is to fill it so that there will be little space for the petrol to vaporize. Also, the petrol you will have in the tank when filled will be of better quality to one left on empty tank after 6months. Its easier when you come back to kick and go than have starting problems or go out to buy fuel in a jerry can.

Spark plugs should not be removed as weather and debri can have access to the cylinder causing rust and dirt that will affect the engine afterwards. If it were a longer time it is recommended to fill the cylinders via the plug holes with engine oil. 6 months is relatively short.

My best advise is to have someone drive the car to full operating temperature atleast once every 2weeks. That way nothing will happen as long as you trust the user to do only what you say or seek your permission if he needs the car for something other than your orders.

I left my car for longer than 6months and nothing happened. I left it at my parents house which my dad will stroll out with it when he feels like atleast once in 2 weeks. He sometimes travel with it for 400km round day trip. I myself would came back for less than a week every 3months and use it in the period.

If your house is fenced and secured, make sure you wash before parking. You can use kerb stones to store the car above ground without removing the tires. Thats just for the tires and dont forget to support car at jacking points not suspension. A cover cloth will also be a good one.

3 Likes

Re: What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months by Exponental(m): 12:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
I know someone who has two cars. Whenever she's out of the country, she removes the batteries and tyres, also cover them. She suspends the cars. She does this every time because she spends at least 6months outside Nigeria. No issues when she comes back.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry Up For Sale / Toyota Hiace Vs Nissan NV350: Which One Should I Go For? / A Look At The Hongqi L5, China's Most Expensive Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.