Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters (2220 Views)

22 Doctrinal Beliefs Of Deeper Life Church / Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? / 10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2015
Or is he/she supposed to tow the line of the church without any argument or debate ?
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Scholar8200(m): 5:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
frosbel:
Or is he/she supposed to tow the line of the church without any argument or debate ?
Let she/he just follow the path of the Bereans: subject any claim by a pulpiteer to an objective,intense and balanced cross-examination with Scripture with diligent respect to context and dispensation, with a childlike dependence on the Holy Spirit. (I wont advise or urge a recourse to Greek etc because I fear many are getting deceived when they choose the most self-serving of the many synonyms given by Language dictionaries)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by ATMC(f): 5:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
Is judgement on a personal level? If yes then you have the answer to your question. Otherwise, bring it on...tow the doctrinal line of your church.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by hahn(m): 5:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
frosbel:
He/she is supposed to tow the line of the church without any argument or debate

And pay tithe as often as possible grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by johnydon22(m): 7:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
If you believe what you like in your gospels and scriptures and reject the ones you don't like. . . its not the gospels/scriptures you believe but yourself
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by anukulapo: 8:00pm On Jul 21, 2015
ATMC:
Is judgement on a personal level? If yes then you have the answer to your question. Otherwise, bring it on...tow the doctrinal line of your church.
Not if the doctrine is a commandment of men that makes the word of God of no effect.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by anukulapo: 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
frosbel:
Sometimes the issues end up like "as for me (and my house)..."
If you're sure your personal stance is not against the will of God. Yes!
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by ATMC(f): 8:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
anukulapo:

Not if the doctrine is a commandment of men that makes the word of God of no effect.
Can anything make God's word of no effect? I doubt.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by NumberOne2(m): 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
Scholar8200:
Let she/he just follow the path of the Bereans: subject any claim by a pulpiteer to an objective,intense and balanced cross-examination with Scripture with diligent respect to context and dispensation, with a childlike dependence on the Holy Spirit. (I wont advise or urge a recourse to Greek etc because I fear many are getting deceived when they choose the most self-serving of the many synonyms given by Language dictionaries)

You couldn't have put it bettter.
When someone asks, "what are your views on so and so matter?" I point them to the bible. What are God's views.
We have been warned to beware of false prophets and doctrines. There is not excuse for deception.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by anukulapo: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
ATMC:
Can anything make God's word of no effect? I doubt.
Yes,people's own will and way of life if it is being upheld above God's commandment.
By "no effect" I don't mean impotent.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
frosbel:

Gullibility is dangerous. It does not even show love for truth. So its good to scrutinize what you are told. However, this must not be done thru debate with ur religion. You can ask appropriate questions, make your research to see whether what you are told is true, then make your decision.

You need to rely on God's lead thru prayer. Patience is good cos some truths take time to be understood Dan 12;4

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by italo: 7:42am On Jul 22, 2015
How did the early Christians determine the truth in Acts 15?

Paul and Barnabas, as blessed and knowledgeable as they were, didn't take their personal stance.

The went to the leaders of the Church. They went to Peter, James etc.

Listen to the Pope and the bishops of the Catholic Church as they teach you God's doctrine.

It is refusal to listen to them that lead to the confusion you now see in Christendom.

What I'm saying will disturb your minds, but it is the truth.

"This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
--John 6:60

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Scholar8200(m): 9:22am On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
If you believe what you like in your gospels and scriptures and reject the ones you don't like. . . its not the gospels/scriptures you believe but yourself
Precisely!
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 22, 2015
italo:
How did the early Christians determine the truth in Acts 15?

Paul and Barnabas, as blessed and knowledgeable as they were, didn't take their personal stance.

The went to the leaders of the Church. They went to Peter, James etc.

Listen to the Pope and the bishops of the Catholic Church as they teach you God's doctrine.

It is refusal to listen to them that lead to the confusion you now see in Christendom.

What I'm saying will disturb your minds, but it is the truth.

"This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
--John 6:60

In other words a believer is expected to tow the line of the church on matters of doctrine with no recourse to personal assessment and conclusion ?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 22, 2015
JMAN05:

Gullibility is dangerous. It does not even show love for truth. So its good to scrutinize what you are told. However, this must not be done thru debate with ur religion. You can ask appropriate questions, make your research to see whether what you are told is true, then make your decision.

You need to rely on God's lead thru prayer. Patience is good cos some truths take time to be understood Dan 12;4

But what if what I heard from God is different to what you heard and we then go off on two different tangents with respect to a particular doctrine , how do we know which one is the right one ?
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 22, 2015
anukulapo:

Sometimes the issues end up like "as for me (and my house)..."
If you're sure your personal stance is not against the will of God. Yes!

What if my personal stance goes contrary to the church's position ?
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 22, 2015
hahn:

And pay tithe as often as possible grin

well of course , that's a non negotiable position grin
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by johnydon22(m): 9:37am On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

But what if what I heard from God is different to what you heard and we then go off on two different tangents with respect to a particular doctrine , how do we know which one is the right one ?
If you both hear different opposing things from one God.

It is either that God is confused, or no God said anything at all and you both only listened and made conclusions that are in coincide with your reason, emotion and sentimental tilt
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
If you both hear different opposing things from one God.

It is either that God is confused, or no God said anything at all and you both only listened and made conclusions that are in coincide with your reason, emotion and sentimental tilt

Well said !

But my question to the religious is this : can one take a contrary position to the pastor of a church and still be correct or is the church/pastor the final authority on all doctrinal matters ?
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by johnydon22(m): 10:02am On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

Well said !

But my question to the religious is this : can one take a contrary position to the pastor of a church and still be correct or is the church/pastor the final authority on all doctrinal matters ?
Well I think this is exactly why christianity boast of the most sects in one religion. . . 41,000 distinct sects and varying doctrines. . . . . . . Everyone claiming they have the superior understanding and God lead doctrine but glaringly one can easily see that each individual's interpretation and spirit filled doctrines are always in coincide with their own reason
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by italo: 11:41am On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

In other words a believer is expected to tow the line of the church on matters of doctrine with no recourse to personal assessment and conclusion ?

Where the Church has defined a teaching, all personal assessment and conclusion must fall in line with Church teaching, otherwise they must be discarded.

Where the Church has not defined a teaching, e.g on evolution, individuals are free to have their personal opinions.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by italo: 11:44am On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

Then either one or both of you is/are lying or has a hearing problem.

God doesn't confuse his people.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Syncan(m): 12:12pm On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

Matters of doctrine in the Catholic Church is not a one man thing. It starts from individuals in the parishes and ends in a council. It involves, peasants and princes, the lay and the religious, unlearned and learned, all united together in prayerful and rigorous deliberations, under the watchful guidance of the chief shepherd, the Pope. One's faith in the word of God about the church; prompts you to believe that God will not allow them go wrong such that the gates of hell defeat the church. So yours is to obey the final decision after you must have contributed your quota. Else it bothers on pride to think you have the monopoly of Holy Spirit...While obedience is a virtue.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by btoks: 2:27pm On Jul 22, 2015
2peter1.20 First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Emusan(m): 2:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:

Should I say longest time to you or you to me grin

@op
Your question is very simple, God doesn't want us to confuse lies with truths that's why God started documenting How Own words by Himself and had inspired many people through different generations to do likewise.

Most importantly the Only Wise God, the creator of heavens and earth, Ase yi o wu, I Am that I Am, Ancient of day, The only Saviour of man and our Eternal life is our BEST FRIEND and A true FATHER who is ready to listen to us and answer any of our question but the question is how many times have you asked God Himself about it?

Because Bible is a book YOU can make It says whatever you want It to say but the truth is those who have actually asked God have received the actual interpretation of the Word of God and you can be part of them!

Shalom! Ire ooo!
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by socrateez(m): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
One challenge I have noticed in all these contributions is the use of the word "doctrine". What is a doctrine? Many of the allusions in the contributions are dogmas not doctrine.

A doctrine is a clear teaching in the Bible which Christians have been instructed to follow. For a teaching to be a doctrine, it must be practicable in any circumstances in any part of the world. That will include (but not limited to):

i. Accept the free gift of salvation (some will refer to it as accepting Jesus Christ into your life)
ii. Partaking in the Holy Communion.
iii. Evangelism. etc

Dogmas on the other hand are practices or traditions of each denomination. They are not necessarily ungodly because many of them indicate acceptance and give identity to members. The problem is the elevation of dogmas over the teachings of the Bible.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by italo: 5:42pm On Jul 22, 2015
socrateez:
One challenge I have noticed in all these contributions is the use of the word "doctrine". What is a doctrine? Many of the allusions in the contributions are dogmas not doctrine.

A doctrine is a clear teaching in the Bible which Christians have been instructed to follow. For a teaching to be a doctrine, it must be practicable in any circumstances in any part of the world. That will include (but not limited to):

i. Accept the free gift of salvation (some will refer to it as accepting Jesus Christ into your life)
iii. Evangelism. etc

Dogmas on the other hand are practices or traditions of each denomination. They are not necessarily ungodly because many of them indicate acceptance and give identity to members. The problem is the elevation of dogmas over the teachings of the Bible.

All dogmas are doctrines.

A doctrine is simply a teaching.

The thing no need long tory to understand am.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by btoks: 6:17am On Jul 23, 2015
socrateez:

iii. Evangelism. etc

Ironically, the definitive list of books of the bible is dogma as per council of Trent.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by anukulapo: 10:23am On Jul 23, 2015
italo:

Where the Church has defined a teaching, all personal assessment and conclusion must fall in line with Church teaching, otherwise they must be discarded.

Where the Church has not defined a teaching, e.g on evolution, individuals are free to have their personal opinions.

I thought " We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29).

I believe that the "church's" defined teachings are not ALWAYS superior to personal assessment. This is evident in the OT levitical order and in our own time hence "aligning" with such all in the name of "church" will be error and sin.
The issue see here is:
Is it possible to have different opinions (and stands) about an issue?

Can one hold circumcision true while another believe otherwise? (Like Peter's group and Paul's)

If there are cases like this,does that mean God is causing confusion? I think not.
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by italo: 11:11am On Jul 23, 2015
anukulapo:

I thought " We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29).

How can you obey God by disobeying his Church?

Do these verses mean anything to you or are they not in your bible:

Matt 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Acts 5:4 "You did not lie to us[a] but to God!"

Acts15:28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to impose on you no further burden than these essentials:

1Tim3:15 the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth
anukulapo:

I believe that the "church's" defined teachings are not ALWAYS superior to personal assessment. This is evident in the OT levitical order and in our own time hence "aligning" with such all in the name of "church" will be error and sin.
Please give one example of a Christian who held a doctrine contrary to Church doctrine in the Bible. Just one.

anukulapo:

The issue see here is:
Is it possible to have different opinions (and stands) about an issue?

Can one hold circumcision true while another believe otherwise? (Like Peter's group and Paul's)

If there are cases like this,does that mean God is causing confusion? I think not.

It means humans are causing confusion. It was precisely because of the circumcision issue that the Church held its first Council in Jerusalem in Acts15 to define the truth on that. After then, which Christian opposed the Church teaching?

Mention his name!
Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Image123(m): 11:28am On Jul 23, 2015
frosbel:

What is doctrine? Anyway, a Christian should not be divisive or attempt to incite others against themselves. If you are not okay with your church and assembly, quietly and prayerfully leave without making a show of it,or drawing people or preaching disunity in the church. IF anyone is not clear on a teaching or position, there are gentlemanly and Christian ways to go about it, not murmurings or causing disaffection and faith crises among the brethren or outrightly pulling them down syndrome. Jesus prays for the church to be one. Oneness is unity not necessarily uniformity.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
frosbel:

My comment did not mean that you should believe all that you are told, but that your doubt must not be settled through a verbal battle.

You can ask the appropriate persons iin your religion question about an issue, patiently consider the matter once more, and make your decision. It is good to change when in the future u see that your previous decision was wrong.

I don't know if your question took the above into consideration. If so, re-word your question in a way I understand better.

By saying 'hearing from God", were you alluding to inspiration?

Image123 made some good point above.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Their Different Forces On Earth Apart From Living Things / The Glory Of Adam Before The Fall / Shocking: Pope Requests Roman Catholic Priest Be Given Right To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.