Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? (10662 Views)

Praying For Someone To Die Is It Biblical? / It's Biblical To Reject Drugs When You're Sick / The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by chiedu7: 5:45pm On May 28, 2016

The saying “HAVING PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD” is that what God is looking for?

Abel & Cain had personal relationships with God, that’s why they could discuss audible with God.
Despite the fact that Cain had a personal relationship with God, His sacrifice was rejected.

Genesis 4
3] And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4] And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
5] but unto Cain and to his offering He had not respect
. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Inspite of having a personal relationship with God, Cain’s offering was reject.
Cain’s offering was rejected because his heart was not right with God, he did the motions but his heart was not true.
So God Himself said that if Cain does it properly with all his spirit his offering will be accepted.

Genesis 4
6] And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7] If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted?

That’s why Jesus said the Father Is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and truth.

John 4
23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him.
24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Just like Cain you can have a personal relationship with God but not worship Him in spirit and truth.

Again Jesus said they worship Him with their lips but their hearts were far.
To use the lips there has to be a relationship, but it’s the heart that God seeks.
For yes they did come near to Jesus but with their lips but not heart.

Isaiah 29:13
Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as This people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour Me, but have removed their heart far from Me,

Jesus is interested in the heart that is why Jesus who is the word of God is a discerner of the heart.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Many jews had personal relationship with Jesus but did not accept Him in their hearts.
That’s why Jesus said that they will say that “He ate and drank with them”, yet their heart was far.
Eating and drinking is that not a personal relationship?

Luke 13
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:

26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me, all ye workers of iniquity.
So as Jesus said the Father is looking for those to worship Him in spirit and truth, then a relationship will follow.
But the key is to worship in spirit and truth, that is first and more important.

John 4
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him.

Jesus knew what He was saying when He said the Father seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and truth.

You can have a relationship without worshiping Jesus.

Having a relatonship and worshiping in spirit & turth are different.

Judas Iscariot had a personal relationship with Jesus but his heart was far off.

Remember that when a lady came to anoint Jesus, Judas complained because he was a thief.
That means he did not change, yet he had a relationship with Jesus.

John 12 (KJV)
4] Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5] Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6] This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

People tend to say you should have a personal relationship with God, that sounds all groovy but it aint what's commanded.
By worshipping God in spirit & truth a relationship will develop, so the relationship is a by-product and never the main goal.

God requires worship so much that the only time I can recollect God said He will by-pass man is if we dont worship.

Luke 19 (KJV)
38] Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.
39] And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
40] And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

The Key is to worship in spirit and truth, then a relationship comes as a by-product.

12 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Nawa4nl: 6:37pm On May 28, 2016
OP ur making sense!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by hahn(m): 8:29pm On May 28, 2016
The relationship anyone has with any god is definitely personal. Since it, "God", only exists in the imagination of the one who believes in it and not in reality.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Femiwilli: 12:14am On May 29, 2016
hahn:
The relationship anyone has with any god is definitely personal. Since it, "God", only exists in the imagination of the one who believes in it and not in reality.

That you believe in God does not change the fact that hell awaits u for denying God lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by pikin1(m): 12:53am On May 29, 2016
I love Jesus.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Weah96: 1:37am On May 29, 2016
Femiwilli:

That you believe in God does not change the fact that hell awaits u for denying God lipsrsealed

U will remember this your f.oolish comment on your death bed. Keep forgetting that everyone dies in the end.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by hahn(m): 6:35am On May 29, 2016
Femiwilli:

Off point undecided

I do not believe in any god. Including yours.

The fact you believe in a god doesn't mean it is real.

And you will still go to all the other available "hell".

Oh, and hell doesn't exist either tongue

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by chiedu7: 1:20pm On Jun 03, 2016
hahn:

Off point undecided

I do not believe in any god. Including yours.

The fact you believe in a god doesn't mean it is real.

And you will still go to all the other available "hell".

Oh, and hell doesn't exist either tongue

Dont you worry, while ur in hell baking you can decide wether u believe or not

3 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by hahn(m): 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2016
chiedu7:

Do not even bother. I will rather be in hell with like minds than in heaven singing to a maniacal, genocidal, tribalistic, slave mongering, confused god and hanging around with delusional twits like you. undecided

Oh, by the way, hell isn't real either grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by chiedu7: 3:29am On Jun 05, 2016
hahn:

Do not even bother. I will rather be in hell with like minds than in heaven singing to a maniacal, genocidal, tribalistic, slave mongering, confused god and hanging around with delusional twits like you. undecided

Of course all the people in hell with you will be like minded, who all rejected Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by hahn(m): 6:38am On Jun 05, 2016
chiedu7:

Of course all the people in hell with you will be like minded, who all rejected Jesus.

Allah will send you to hell regardless for believing in Jesus as your lord and personal savior. We'll be next door neighbors grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by chiedu7: 4:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
hahn:

Allah will send you to hell regardless for believing in Jesus as your lord and personal savior. We'll be next door neighbors grin

Sorry I will be in heaven with Jesus, unlike moslems & mohammed can't save.

Mark 16:16 (KJV)
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Jesus went to heaven in the view of people,

Act 1
9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

unlike mohammed that is dead ,buried and allah cannot save

Sura 46:9
"I am not something original among the messengers, NOR DO I KNOW WHAT WILL BE DONE WITH ME OR WITH YOU(MUSLIMS)."

mohammed is dead becos allah cannot save, JESUS IS ALIVE

10 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Nawa4nl: 5:37am On Jul 03, 2016
Interesting piece.

We really need to go back to the drawing board and leave this craze for money

2 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by DesChyko: 7:35am On Jul 03, 2016
It's just English Language. Religion is not about the vocabulary used in communicating. It's about the health of the communication itself. Anything goes as long as the communication between you and God is free flowing.
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by iStandWithIpob(m): 7:36am On Jul 03, 2016
[size=15pt]Nigerians are religiously insane undecided[/size]

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by bankyblue(m): 7:36am On Jul 03, 2016
When I close from chruch I go comment
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by KOFICOSUZARANDA(m): 7:36am On Jul 03, 2016
Nawa4nl:
Interesting piece.

We really need to go back to the drawing board and leave this craze for money
After you will be the one to be shouting Wizkid take my baby...

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by hemartins(m): 7:38am On Jul 03, 2016
Having a personal relationship with God begins the moment we realize our need for Him, admit we are sinners, and in faith receive Jesus Christ as Savior. God, our heavenly Father, has always desired to be close to us, to have a relationship with us. Before Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Genesis chapter 3), both he and Eve knew God on an intimate, personal level. They walked with Him in the garden and talked directly to Him. Due to the sin of man, we became separated and disconnected from God.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by kazyhm(m): 7:39am On Jul 03, 2016
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Chrisrare: 7:40am On Jul 03, 2016
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by EternalBeing: 7:41am On Jul 03, 2016
yes
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Nutase: 7:41am On Jul 03, 2016
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by jahstech: 7:42am On Jul 03, 2016
chiedu7:

Are you a Christian? If someone doubt your faith or says anything bad about it, that's not the reply I expected. Your proclaimed leader won't have responded in like manner.
Please learn your bible right. You don't make your God appealing by referring to statements like these.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 03, 2016
It's biblical, it's essential, it's ideal. How would I have a father and I wouldn't have a personal relationship with him? Ko follow na.
"And Abraham walked with God, and it was counted to him for Righteousness "

3 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Histrings08(m): 7:45am On Jul 03, 2016
Thank u @op...more grace
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by freecocoa(f): 7:45am On Jul 03, 2016
And the confusion continues.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by DesChyko: 7:48am On Jul 03, 2016
hahn:

For years, it has been hammered that a subsection with a profession of faith should be placed for Christians and this plea has been continuously ignored. For years, we've still had to make do with these kind of blasphemous posts. It's not like we will go violent over such, but the way western civilisation is raping our culture may be likened to what these fellows mean for Christianity.

Lalasticlala, Seun, OAM4J

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:49am On Jul 03, 2016
were are the pastor on nairaland..were are they
Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2016
Cain and abel is just fairytale

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? by sinistermind(m): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2016
Nigerians and their religious stupidity.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Godly Sins And Their Underlying Usefulness by UnoDiscuss / Do Jet Owning Churches Care For The Poor - By Leke Beecroft / Who Really Is Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.