Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

For Those Interested In Music Production - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Those Interested In Music Production (12323 Views)

Capable And Professional Music Producer Needed In Music Studio / Anyone Serious About Building Your Talent, Skill Or Career In Music NEED THIS! / Meaning Of EP In Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
For those considering the business of producing music, and for artistes who might want to save cost by learning the art of electronic music creation.

I composed this list , as a guide and to serve as basis for your take off; you might also wanna be informed about the digital tools responsible for most of nigeria's hit songs.

Top 5 most popular digital audio workstations used in Nigeria and their prospects.

This list is based on my experience as a Producer and consultation and interactions with vast number of producers in Nigeria both online and Offline.

The List is gauged by degree of accessibility , ease of use,and operating system support of this
Digital Audio Workstations(D.A.W) in Nigeria.

For ease of understanding a Digital audio Workstation (DAW) is a Software used in making and production of music.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
undecided
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by ishadfurnitures: 1:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:36pm On Jul 22, 2015
Here's the list

Imageline F.L studio - Many Big producers in Nigeria use FL studio for making those addictive and fascinating beats that often culminate to hits in nigeria , FL studio is mostly used for beat making , though it has audio and voice recording capabilities ; Those capabilities are most often overlooked by producers in Nigeria. Personally and for lack of a more euphemistic word I'll say F.L Studio's Voicing Recording and Processing ambience as at the last time I checked is somewhat amateurish and least-advanced.

However FL studio more than compensates for this ; providing a comfortable and easy digital atmosphere to make your Beats/instumentals which can then be exported in wave format for subsequent audio recording .

Though FL studio presents a very easy and comprehensible front, don't get it twisted , there's actually a complex side of F.L as well.

Although if you are a fairly good pianist , you could start making good 'uncoordinated' music in FL studio within minutes , upon first introduction. 'Uncoordinated' because , a layman could nod, tap his foot to it and even call it 'standard', but a pro will identify spot that there's more to be done.

Infact Some producers I've spoken with Say their problem with FL studio is that It appears too common and simple that it makes Production look less professional because its so simple , and almost everybody uses it.

That's about how simple and accessible FL studio is.

During my early days as a producer , I used F.L studio solely, in Fact FL studio is my first Love.
So from experience I can say, you can make good music that Can compare with any in the world using FL studio as long as you know your way around even if not nearly perfectly well.

To Use FL studio you'll have to spend extra on Third party Sound Pluggins Called V.S.T and probably effect pluggins as well.

Examples of such sound pluggins are Nexus, Ravity and Hypersonic.

These pluggins integrate into F.L studio to complement and make for an extra-consolidated and comfortable archive of virtual sound resources, e.g pianos, synths, Baselines, Brass etc .

The latest FL studio edition is FL Studio 12, you can download a Demo at their official website. Just Google 'Imageline Official Website'.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
FL studio

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
Propellerhead Reason version 5 -

My personal Favorite, all my beats are Mostly done with This Great software.

Although Reason Presents a complicated first impression to a newbie, however once the first template is cleared and a little drill is given its a simple and interesting music making software.
When you press the Tab on your keyboard to flip the Reason Virtual Instrument Rack , you see a complex string of wires that could scare the poo out of you. but like I always say. "Reason may appear scary, but when you understand it, you discover its actually very user-friendly"

Reason is basically divided into two parts , the virtual Rack (where the sounds and effects are based) , and the Sequencer(where the patterning and time planning of the music takes place.

There's No Voice processing and recording feature in Reason.

Unlike FL, Reason has a reserved audio engine which does not support use of other third party software pluggins.
You'll have to manage its vast archive of sounds and effects combination, you might spend more time on tweaking sounds and saving them too, to further consolidate your sound archive and having variations.

In the event that you grow tired of the regular sounds, you can Register and download extra sounds Called Refills at Propellerhead's online library. There are both Paid and Royalty Free Refill packages.

The Latest Version of Reason which is Reason 7 has been integrated with Recording and Voice Processing capabilities .it is Also equipped with the feature of adding third party sound Pluggins which are limited to pluggins supported by propellerhead for now, and the pluggins are integrated from factory as demos which you'll have to activate using your online account if you're interested in them.

I can almost feel someone saying "the wahala too much for an average nigerian abeg!! cheesy

Although I have a Demo Of Reason 7, I've not actually Purchased the Full Version.
And In all likelihood Reason 7 is still very much unpopular in terms of accessibility and range of use, hence my specifying of Reason 5.

1 Like

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:40pm On Jul 22, 2015
Reason 5

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
Steinberg Cubase - Cubase is mostly used as a voice recording and processing software by most producers who either use Reason or FL studio For making
Beats.
I for instance use Reason for beats and Cubase for voice recording and Audio processing.

Cubase has one of the best audio processing utilities and features in the industry; it also has an easy looking workstation as well. Cubase features a Virtual Mixing and Mastering Table, But sometimes the conventional methods amongst hip-hop producers in Nigeria is to do our mastering in third party Mastering Stations like , I.K multimedia T.Racks , Sony Soundforge etc

Regarding Making Beats
Cubase Can also stand alone as a Beat making Programme, at least I've used it once or twice for stand alone beat making.
The point is, it is used rarely in that regard in nigeria . But -should I say- in compensation for that it is used a lot as a Rewire Host either to FL Studio or to Reason.

(Rewire or the art of Rewiring is basically Combining two Digital audio workstations(DAW's) to flow seamlessly as one, in a Host/client relationship. In Rewire Mode the Client DAW's Transport panel become synchronized with the host's, these means that the rewire client I.e Reason, or FL studio ' Controls such as Play, Stop, Mute etc work synchronously with my Rewire Host I.e Cubase.

Rewiring Cubase to Reason, means I can record with Reason Sounds on my Cubase Audio track from my midi keyboard .

Sometimes when I want to make those old school nigerian Gospel music beats characterized for simplicity and natural sounds, I often re-wire Reason to cubase as I might want to exchange features and sounds within the two softwares.

1 Like

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
Steinberg Cubase

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
Steinberg Nuendo- obviously they're manufactured by same company : Steinberg .

My best Description for Nuendo is 'its an identical twin sister to cubase' Nuendo is basically same thing with cubase. Albeit some producers argue there's a little difference that matters to them. But everytime which is indeed a few times I have had to work with Nuendo I feel they are both the same.
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
Started with FL, moved to Reason 5, then Live 9. Now I'm married to Logic pro and maschine. grin

2 Likes

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
Nuendo

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
Cakewalk Sonar- I used Sonar as my stand alone Audio recording and processing utility for a long time before shifting base to cubase.

Sonar is mostly used by nigerian producers for multi -track recording and audio processing ;pretty much same way as cubase is used.

However Sonar has its own Feel and Environment.

Sonar could appear intimidating at first to a newbie, but if you're dedicated , it won't take long before you know the drill and be comfortable.

Sonar is also a very excellent rewire host to both of either FL or Reason. I speak from experience.
I normally Rewire Sonar to Reason whenever I need to feature third party pluggins like Nexus, Hypersonic or Ravity etc and it works perfectly well.
I still patronize sonar's interesting archive of vast hyper realistic drum Kits, and Guitar Riffs in my beats during rewire mode.

I've used Sonar once as a stand alone beat creation utility and it worked fine. It has an excellent network of sounds and a typical sequencing environment.

But from consultations with other producers and work experience , I can say it is used rarely as a stand alone beat creation utility.
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by dam4wummy(m): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
New music: EL-dbash - If No Be You prod. By masterkraft
http://madeinkanocity..com/2015/07/music-el-dbash-if-no-be-you-prod-by.html

Download and enjoy
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
Sonar

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
Worthy mentions.

Avid Protools- This D.A.W works pretty much as Cubase or Sonar, only that it is Entirely Dependent on its hardware Sound Engine.
I like protools a lot, and use it from time to time whenever I'm hosted in a studio that's equipped with It.

Ableton Live

Logic Pro -limited to the Mac

Here are some of my works and demos;

http://www.tunescity.net/2015/07/04/bobby-ft-bobby-blossom-safe/

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/d8f812a6

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/29c556d6

NB: The List is in no particular order except For FL Studio, which means that F.L studio is the most popular in terms of use, accessibilty and O.S support.
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
More

2 Likes

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 1:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
Me!
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by GoodMuyis(m): 2:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
​Ok I Know You will Like this Track Just listen and Comment on it

https://my.notjustok.com/track/26118/the-jz-sufficient-grace

1 Like

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
nice work op

2 Likes

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 9:13am On Jul 23, 2015
Iamsynord:
nice work op
Thanks Bro
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Mrshroud: 5:03pm On Jul 23, 2015
GoodMuyis:
​Ok I Know You will Like this Track Just listen and Comment on it

https://my.notjustok.com/track/26118/the-jz-sufficient-grace
nice one bro. Keep it up
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by GoodMuyis(m): 12:48pm On Jul 24, 2015
Mrshroud:
nice one bro. Keep it up

Thank you Sir
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by fubbyy(m): 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2015
Mrshroud:
For those considering the business of producing music, and for artistes who might want to save cost by learning the art of electronic music creation.

I composed this list , as a guide and to serve as basis for your take off; you might also wanna be informed about the digital tools responsible for most of nigeria's hit songs.

Top 5 most popular digital audio workstations used in Nigeria and their prospects.

This list is based on my experience as a Producer and consultation and interactions with vast number of producers in Nigeria both online and Offline.

The List is gauged by degree of accessibility , ease of use,and operating system support of this
Digital Audio Workstations(D.A.W) in Nigeria.

For ease of understanding a Digital audio Workstation (DAW) is a Software used in making and production of music.
nice thread, please which daw has the best plugins,Vst support because I've realized that plugins is a must for music production
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by fubbyy(m): 4:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
RickRichards:
Started with FL, moved to Reason 5, then Live 9. Now I'm married to Logic pro and maschine. grin
these daws you have used,can you please give me there ups and downs,what you like and hate about each of every one of them

I'm an aspiring producer,people criticize the FL we thought is the best,now I don't know which is the best
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 28, 2015
fubbyy:
these daws you have used,can you please give me there ups and downs,what you like and hate about each of every one of them

I'm an aspiring producer,people criticize the FL we thought is the best,now I don't know which is the best
Okay, I'll make it quick.
Well, FL studio is probably the best for beginners, but you might start sounding like every other amateur/intermediate producer if you don't know how to design your own sounds. On the other hand, the step sequencer is perfect for naija beats.
Reason is cool...I prefer the stock sounds in Reason to FL. They sound punchy, fat, and crunchy. And they work well for the West African style of music. You can't use third-party plugins in Reason 5 and below. There's Reason 8 now.
Ableton Live: Another cool DAW. Very handy for getting ideas out fast. The UI's much different to other popular DAWs. So it might take some getting used to. I personally don't like the sound engine of Live though.
Maschine: maschine is great for churning out sick beats. But it works best with the hardware. Most top producers use it in conjunction with other DAWs. I do too - with Logic.
Logic: Logic is my favorite. I just love everything about it - the GUI, the sound engine, the stock sounds, everything. You can also write notation in Logic. Logic will help you become a more thoughtful producer; not just a beatmaker. Only problem is: it only works on macintosh systems. But it's totally worth it.

1 Like

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by ChynoBEATS: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2015
Mrshroud:

Personally and for lack of a more euphemistic word I'll say F.L Studio's Voicing Recording and Processing ambience as at the last time I checked is somewhat amateurish and least-advanced.

Amateurish?? oh please ....go 2 youtube and watch videos n see how it's being done professionally

...... Or better still get a signature bundle n see the diff

If i may ask , Bro Have you ever tried buying a plug-in from Image-line store??......

Mrshroud:

Infact Some producers I've spoken with Say their problem with FL studio is that It appears too common

Yeah it is..... Due to the level of piracy in nigeria ....

Mrshroud:

and simple that it makes Production look less professional because its so simple ,

So simple .....for hipHop n pop style producers yeah...but ... Try E.D.M (electronic.Dance.music) n you'll see the diff
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by fubbyy(m): 1:13am On Jul 29, 2015
RickRichards:

Okay, I'll make it quick.
Well, FL studio is probably the best for beginners, but you might start sounding like every other amateur/intermediate producer if you don't know how to design your own sounds. On the other hand, the step sequencer is perfect for naija beats.
Reason is cool...I prefer the stock sounds in Reason to FL. They sound punchy, fat, and crunchy. And they work well for the West African style of music. You can't use third-party plugins in Reason 5 and below. There's Reason 8 now.
Ableton Live: Another cool DAW. Very handy for getting ideas out fast. The UI's much different to other popular DAWs. So it might take some getting used to. I personally don't like the sound engine of Live though.
Maschine: maschine is great for churning out sick beats. But it works best with the hardware. Most top producers use it in conjunction with other DAWs. I do too - with Logic.
Logic: Logic is my favorite. I just love everything about it - the GUI, the sound engine, the stock sounds, everything. You can also write notation in Logic. Logic will help you become a more thoughtful producer; not just a beatmaker. Only problem is: it only works on macintosh systems. But it's totally worth it.
thanks a lot bro,

*please which daw is more plugin and Vst friendly,I mean the one that supports a lot of it

*Does the reason 8 support vst and plugins?because I believe without plugins making beats sucks

*now that I've (so I think)graduated from FL studio and wants to upgrade,which daw will you advice me to switch to,and do I still need someone to teach me like they taught me FL

*And please what do you mean by macintosh systems?

*finally,I want to buy piano keyboard,which daw is best for keyboard,I know FL is awesome in that aspect,you can play keyboard and edit what you played in piano roll,is their any other daw as good as that when it comes to piano?

Thanks a lot once again
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for this, op.. pls how do I use session drummer in sonar X2 as a Vst in cubase?
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 30, 2015
fubbyy:
thanks a lot bro,

*please which daw is more plugin and Vst friendly,I mean the one that supports a lot of it
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Nowadays, every DAW has good third-party plugin support. Third-party plugins are not always in VST format alone. There's also AU, DPM, AAX, and RTAS. It all depends on the DAW you're using. But if your computer's RAM is more than 4GB, 32bit plugins like Sylenth will not work without a VSTbridge. It's no problem though. I use 32bit on my 64bit computer - with an AUbridge .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
*Does the reason 8 support vst and plugins?because I believe without plugins making beats sucks
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, it does. And you can also download refills from propellerhead.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
*now that I've (so I think)graduated from FL studio and wants to upgrade,which daw will you advice me to switch to,and do I still need someone to teach me like they taught me FL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can stick with FL if you're meticulous and can design your own sounds, or if you have good VSTs, unique drum kits, etc. If you have to upgrade, try Reason. You can Rewire it into FL and use them together. About learning, once you know how one DAW works - like how to do automation, how envelopes work, how send and return channels work - moving to other DAWs shouldn't be much of a problem. All you have to do is learn how apply those techniques in your new DAW. A few youtube video tutorials could help.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*And please what do you mean by macintosh systems?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean Apple computers: Imacs, mac mini's, macpro's, and macbooks.
*finally,I want to buy piano keyboard,which daw is best for keyboard,I know FL is awesome in that aspect,you can play keyboard and edit what you played in piano roll,is their any other daw as good as that when it comes to piano?
All the listed DAWs can capture midi input from midi devices. You can go for a midi controller/keyboard, or a generic electronic keyboard that has a USB port.
Thanks a lot once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by fubbyy(m): 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2015
[quote author=RickRichards post=36420161][/quote]very useful,thanks a lot

Many people said that big producers don't use FL studio,that pro tool is what they use,show true is that?in nigeria which daw do you think these big name producers use,people like don jazzy,suspect,farbs and co
Re: For Those Interested In Music Production by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
fubbyy:
very useful,thanks a lot

Many people said that big producers don't use FL studio,that pro tool is what they use,show true is that?in nigeria which daw do you think these big name producers use,people like don jazzy,suspect,farbs and co

True. Most of the top guys use Logic Pro for production and Pro Tools for mixing and mastering. Pro Tools is very good for recording live instruments, producers use it for highlife or gospel kind of beats. Pro Tools isn't the best for normal midi-based productions though. Logic and other DAWs are more flexible.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flavour To Open Nite Club In Enugu / Top 6 Art Cover Of Nairaland Artists 2015! ;) / Wizkid's Net Worth In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.