Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? (1951 Views)

Church Members Lie On The Floor For Pastor, To Welcome Him (Photo) / Lord's Chosen Members Lie On The Ground, Perform Stunts In Benin. Photos / The Bible,an Enemy Of A Truth Seeker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
Let's assume you have been holding onto a particular TRUTH for so many years, in fact you spent the best part of your youth believing and serving this TRUTH and then one day you found a lie in this TRUTH and the shock was overwhelming and almost paralysed you for a while.

This shock led you into more research of this TRUTH. Then more lies or fabrications were discovered to your horror.

Will you continue to believe in this TRUTH ?

In layman's terms, can a lie disqualify a TRUTH ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
Lies within a truth reduces the quality of that truth. . . And it shows that truth is no absolute truth and therefore cannot be taken as such.

These lies within the truth cannot be taken as absolutes too because in this context one must maintain there is no absolute truth or lie in this regard.

I don't think the lies disqualifies it entirely because there is no absolute in the negate... lets wait for others to teach us more on this

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
Only atheists find lies in truth. for the rest of us, wherever there's truth(light), lies(darkness) disappear . cool

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
frosbel:
Let's assume you have been holding onto a particular TRUTH for so many years, in fact you spent the best part of your youth believing and serving this TRUTH and then one day you found a lie in this TRUTH and the shock was overwhelming and almost paralysed you for a while.

This shock led you into more research of this TRUTH. Then more lies or fabrications were discovered to your horror.

The VALIDITY and INVALIDITY of the Conclusion matters.

If the Truth is INVALID,then false statement cannot disqualify it.

But if the Truth is VALID,false statement in every hook,stick and sinker will disqualify it.

However,if this truth by flux of experientiallity measures with FALLACY,the validity and invalidity of it is baseless and so is judge by the feat it provides.
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 7:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
AdeniyiA:
Only atheists find lies in truth.
for the rest of us, wherever there's truth(light), lies(darkness) disappear .
cool
Am not sure you even understood the question at all

2 Likes

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Am not sure you even understood the question at all
Help me to understand by answering this question "can darkness nullifies light? ... Or can you find darkness in light?? ?....
to me TRUTH is 100%, no single iota of lie can be found in truth ...

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 8:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
AdeniyiA:

Help me to understand by answering this question "can darkness nullifies light? ... Or can you find darkness in light?? ?....
There is a place where light and darkness meets in our perception. . its called twilight. . and cannot be regarded as absolute light or absolute darkness. .

Same goes to some truths, remember in my context i am putting a whole large amount of truth into consideration in my answer knowing fully well the angle the Op was hewn from.

So i maintain there are no absolute lies or absolute truth in it. . .

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 8:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
AdeniyiA:

Darkness! Does not mean there is no light!

If you can't see better during the night does not mean the cat can't see through the dark!
So,while it may seem dark for me,it is just the normal condition for the another species of same kingdom.And so same for Darkness in light.

It is the bearer of the sensation that rules,not light neither darkness.

The whole province of knowledge and skepticism is truth.

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 22, 2015
Now let me give an instance whether is this what the op means?

Now i born 20 children. I tell all of them that i love them, and that they should obey my orders. Now i come back to tell them that if any of them didnt obey my words, i will disown him and make sure he suffers until he repents. If he doesnt, then i will put him in a hole where he will rot.

Now.... The first truth i told was that i love all of them...... On the process u came to ask urself, if i said i loved all, why suffer someone i love maybe for dissobedience. Then is my barbaric action not worst than the disobedience?

Then u now descovered that i lied that i lied. Then u might just begin to contemplate that since i lied that i deceived u with my fake likeness.

THen it is highly possibly that all i have been telling u since are just gibberish and shouldnt be banked on.
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
It is coldness of thought to have fraught the mind up that Atheism finds rational attempt purely to everything.

No! No!

Everything is not Atheism though imperative should it be to accept statements base on rational foundation.

Atheism is just a concept of thought and not everybody that rationalises is an Atheist.

So,don't feel the RIGHT and WRONG of TRUTH is under the bossom and whimps of an Atheist.

Everybody understand truth much as every understand what an Atheist is just up with truth logically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
krattoss:
Now let me give an instance whether is this what the op means?

Now i born 20 children. I tell all of them that i love them, and that they should obey my orders. Now i come back to tell them that if any of them didnt obey my words, i will disown him and make sure he suffers until he repents. If he doesnt, then i will put him in a hole where he will rot.

Now.... The first truth i told was that i love all of them...... On the process u came to ask urself, if i said i loved all, why suffer someone i love maybe for dissobedience. Then is my barbaric action not worst than the disobedience?

Then u now descovered that i lied that i lied. Then u might just begin to contemplate that since i lied that i deceived u with my fake likeness.

THen it is highly possibly that all i have been telling u since are just gibberish and shouldnt be banked on.
In this context. . . .The very barbaric idea of yours that mets out such barbaric punishment on the children you claim to love, kills that truth (I love you) in entirety
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
In this context. . . .The very barbaric idea of yours that mets out such barbaric punishment on the children you claim to love, kills that truth (I love you) in entirety
yes. And if it does. That means my previous words shouldnt be banked on.

And u knw what? Such parents doesnt exist.
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 9:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
krattoss:
yes. And if it does. That means my previous words shouldnt be banked on.

And u knw what? Such parents doesnt exist.
Hehehehehe thats the christian idea of LOVE
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Hehehehehe thats the christian idea of LOVE
hahah.

Been avoiding not to mention any religion.

Sometimes my parents see me as a devil incarnate... But i knowing deep inside me what i am, i can now conclude that the cankerworm called xtianity has taken their brain and reasoning to another level.

Only follow to please them cos i steal love them and dont want to hurt their feelings.
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by esere826: 6:53am On Jul 24, 2015
frosbel:

No..it cant
If I write a lot of stuff in my Nairaland diary almost all lies, but i truthfully name the city I was born
my lies would not and can never disqualify the truth of my birth
However, the more I lie, the less I become credible to my audience until they stop believing me at all, even what i'm saying the truth.

So also many truths cannot qualify a lie
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 7:15am On Jul 24, 2015
If you had all your write-up in lies.Then nobody will have to see any truth in you.Peradventure,if we presupposes to have all the lies truth,then every lie about you is VALID even when it is logically false.
Once again my hypothesis of VALIDITY and INVALIDITY and FALLACITY as flux through which truth is judge binds to all statements.
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 24, 2015
frosbel:

R

If I understand you, I say that what you previously term truth were NEVER truth. It was a lie cloned truth.

However, that such happened does not mean that truth does not exist, it means you should embark on a deep study before you accept something as true. Do not follow the crowd.

What is it man?
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 24, 2015
JMAN05:

If I understand you, I say that what you previously term truth were NEVER truth. It was a lie cloned truth.

However, that such happened does not mean that truth does not exist, it means you should embark on a deep study before you accept something as true. Do not follow the crowd.

What is it man?

If you find ONE fabrication in the bible, will this not make you wonder if there are more fabrications ? And if you then find more fabrications, will you not wonder if this is really ALL inspired by God ?

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 24, 2015
esere826:
[size=7pt][/size]

No..it cant
If I write a lot of stuff in my Nairaland diary almost all lies, but i truthfully name the city I was born
my lies would not and can never disqualify the truth of my birth
However, the more I lie, the less I become credible to my audience until they stop believing me at all, even what i'm saying the truth.

So also many truths cannot qualify a lie

You are talking about two different things here.

If you presented the stuff you wrote in your nairaland diary as fact and we started to find a few lies, this will no doubt lead to a questioning of your integrity.

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by plaetton: 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2015
johnydon22:
Lies within a truth reduces the quality of that truth. . . And it shows that truth is no absolute truth and therefore cannot be taken as such.

These lies within the truth cannot be taken as absolutes too because in this context one must maintain there is no absolute truth or lie in this regard.

I don't think the lies disqualifies it entirely because there is no absolute in the negate... lets wait for others to teach us more on this

I disagree with you completely.

Common sense tells us a lie and a truth are incompatible, and cannot coexist. One nullifies the other.

Even in our system of justice, any evidence, witness or contract that is determined to contain one grain of lie, automatically nullifies and disqualifies it.
Anything built on a lie, even a small lie, cannot and should never be accepted as truth, no matter how important or convenient.

And, I fail to understand what You mean by stating that there is no absolute truth.

Johnydon22 posted on Nairaland today.
Is that an absolute truth or half truth? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by plaetton: 2:50pm On Jul 24, 2015
frosbel:

If you find ONE fabrication in the bible, will this not make you wonder if there are more fabrications ? And if you then find more fabrications, will you not wonder if this is really ALL inspired by God ?

Bingo!

Half truth + half truth =? 1 truth or 1 lie?

Once we find 1 fabrication, then we are confronted with ill motive.
Then we must ask, why would the supposed word of god be inspired by ill motive?
Then that leads us to ask if at all it is the word of god and not the word of mortal men.

And then we look further on the transmission of this word, and,.. We discover more alterations, editing, more ill motives.

Then, wherein lies the truth of the bible, if the original scribes, the copyists, the translators, the revisers and editors all had their own motives,.. Motives that were about obfuscation, than truthful revelation?

3 Likes

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2015
“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
― Carl Sagan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 24, 2015
frosbel:

But when you detect those fabrications, and remove them, do what you find still called fabrications?

And Among the numerous words in the bible, how many fabrications have you found, are all what you ve seen fabrications? What is your proof?

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by plaetton: 10:56pm On Jul 24, 2015
JMAN05:

But when you detect those fabrications, and remove them, do what you find still called fabrications?

And Among the numerous words in the bible, how many fabrications have you found, are all what you ve seen fabrications? What is your proof?

First, if there is even one fabrication in the bible, it Proves that bible is definitely not the truthful words of god.
And if so, then it is not a reliable arbiter of truth nor of reality.

Therefore, once You find one fabrication, then the entire edifice of faith begins to crumble.

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2015
plaetton:

First, if there is even one fabrication in the bible, it Proves that bible is definitely not the truthful words of god.
And if so, then it is not a reliable arbiter of truth nor of reality.

Therefore, once You find one fabrication, then the entire edifice of faith begins to crumble.

Just like the piltdown man made all science false?

After you write ur autobiography, and someone rewrites it, making an error that puts u in bad light, that automatically make u are real bad guy. Shey?
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 24, 2015
Frosbel

If u accept, we can have relaxed discussion of your question thru gmail. How is that?
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by plaetton: 11:48pm On Jul 24, 2015
JMAN05:

Just like the piltdown man made all science false?

After you write ur autobiography, and someone rewrites it, making an error that puts u in bad light, that automatically make u are real bad guy. Shey?
It makes the entire autobiography non credible, ESPECIALLY, and ESPECIALLY , if the doctored one is the only one in circulation.
Ha ha.

1 Like

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by esere826: 12:00am On Jul 25, 2015
frosbel:

You are talking about two different things here.

If you presented the stuff you wrote in your nairaland diary as fact and we started to find a few lies, this will no doubt lead to a questioning of your integrity.

integrity is different from truth
indeed, truth is a subset of integrity
one truth in a thousand lies does not affect truth, it only affects integrity

Let me speak plain English
Some egyptian monarchs tried to rewrite history
consequently, historians tend to be skeptical when 'reading their narratives'
It doesnt change from the fact that some of the narratives might be true
it only lets the researcher be more cautious in sifting for the truths in the piece to be investigated

Now, you've had some challenges with the Bible I recall
perhaps it is because of the way you framed the entire bible concept in addition to the way others framed it

Consider this -
If you were adamant that a god personally put pen to paper to write the bible
and then you later found some strange bits
you would naturally arrive at any of these conlcusions

1) That the god is all powerful but is given to mischief and lies -much like the greek gods
2) That the god is fallible and thus made lots of mistakes in his writing
3) that the work is indeed a forgery, and was never written by any god in the first place

(remember that this does not take away from truth if it exists at all within the piece you are querying)

Moving on to attributes,
a mischievous god cannot be trusted -he lacks integrity,
neither can one be trusted, who is given to memory losses -he might have integrity, but lacks capability
For the last conclusion, the integrity issue does not lie with a god. It lies with the constituent contributors to the book and those who authenticate and then communicate it as a fact either due to ignorance or scheming

But while breezing down this lane of thinking
pause for a while to remember this
the path dependency or trajectory in which you find yourself might be because your initial premise was that:
"a god personally put pen to paper to write the bible"

In order words if you change the original premise
the trajectory of reasoning and conclusions might a whole lot different from the juncture you find yourself now

3 Likes

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by johnydon22(m): 9:20am On Jul 25, 2015
plaetton:

I disagree with you completely.

Common sense tells us a lie and a truth are incompatible, and cannot coexist. One nullifies the other.

Even in our system of justice, any evidence, witness or contract that is determined to contain one grain of lie, automatically nullifies and disqualifies it.
Anything built on a lie, even a small lie, cannot and should never be accepted as truth, no matter how important or convenient.

And, I fail to understand what You mean by stating that there is no absolute truth.

Johnydon22 posted on Nairaland today.
Is that an absolute truth or half truth? undecided
The context i took into consideration knowing fully well he was driving from.
Let me give you an example. "Johnydon can fly, johnydon is a man" Looking at this now that i can fly is a huge lie but that i am a man is a known truth.
The lie that i can fly does not nullify the truth that i am a man rather it only reduces the quality of the truth in the statement above.

So the lie in the statement does not make the statement an absolute lie neither does the truth in it make it an absolute truth… You understand me now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 9:57am On Jul 25, 2015
johnydon22:
Let me give you an example. "Johnydon can fly, johnydon is a man" Looking at this now that i can fly is a huge lie but that i am a man is a known truth.
The lie that i can fly does not nullify the truth that i am a man rather it only reduces the quality of the truth in the statement above.

So the lie in the statement does not make the statement an absolute lie neither does the truth in it make it an absolute truth… You understand me now?

(Truth 1)Johnydon22 Can fly...
(Truth 2) Johnydon 22 is a man...

(Conclusion) Man can fly,deductively.

(Truth 1) Johnydon22 can fly...
(Truth 2) Johnydon22 is a man

(Conclusion) Fly things are man,Inductively.

Both statement contains false premises and so are unsound.The first one is deductive and valid.But its conclusion is Unsound,because man cannot fly.But if it had been that,
(Truth1) Johnydon22 is a mammal

(Truth 2) Johnydon22 can fly.

(Truth 3) Johnydon22 is a flying mammal.

Then it could have been easily concluded that Johnydon22 is either of the order DEVMOPTERA(Flying LEMUR) or CHIROPTERA(flying BAT).This Truth is undeniably absolute with no rind of falsification attach to it.

The second one is inductive and still unsound.Logically,this is accepted as FALSE,not truth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by DrLazDevitan: 10:12am On Jul 25, 2015
frosbel:

Please sir try to rationalise without provoking worshippers of the bible.You shouldn't have to emphasize on fabrications and using the bible as a set-point.There are hundreds of samples of idiotic fabrications you can list without minding out the respect of any holy book or known doctrines.

Nothing has ever lied so much that a rationalist!
Re: Can One Lie Disqualify A Truth ? by plaetton: 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
johnydon22:

No, I do not get you.
Johnydon22 can fly, and johnydon22 is a man are two seperate independent statements.

If someone tells us a story that he saw johnydon22, a man, Flying across the sky, the story would obviously be an absolute lie, even though we know that johnydon22 is a man.

One lie in a story nullifies the entire narrative.
That is the compounding nature of lies.

A lie is like a high interest loan or liability. Once introduced in a narrative, the interest begins to compound, and then distorts the entire narrative and eventually makes it worthless.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

For How Long Were Adam And Eve In The Garden Of Eden? / Does God Answer Prayers? what is your experience / Is Mysticism Evil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.