Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,326 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. (4185 Views)

Happy Birthday, Albert Einstein!Things You Never Knew About The Scientist / Russian Scientist Invents Chemical That Can Turn A Black Man To White / Scientist Built Robots That Walk On Water Like Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 22, 2015

A brilliant scientist is a person who is recognized to have impacted the world by using science as his weapon. A person who made a difference. With science as his medium.
It was never about intelligence. Ask Richard Feynman
It was never about skin color. Ask George Washington Carver
It was never about gender! Marie curie can testify to that!

Being a brilliant scientist requires more. Than all of the above. People like Isaac newton, Nikola Tesla, and Albert Einstein, did not become such because they were intelligent. They did because of something else!
And you can too!

Perhaps you have always wanted to join the ranks of these great people. Or even surpass them. There is nothing stopping you. Except yourself.

There are some key steps and points you need too consider. Which will ensure you will make your mark on this world. Using science, you will make a difference, a good difference.

Develop a strong love for science

Don't do science because everyone else is. Don't do science because of your parents . . . or because you want to become like bill gates or mark zuckerberg. Do science to the sheer spirit of it. Learn to understand the beauty of science. You need to develop A strong curiosity. Remember, curiosity killed the cat. Not the man. A strong sense of curiosity. Wanting to know more . . . about everything! About the universe you live in. Develop a sense for mathematical beauty. The relationships between abstract and concrete terms . . . develop pleasure from science. Such that your work in science becomes play!

Develop compassion for the world.

Most people perceive scientists as being cold and calculating, but those are just the fake scientists. True scientists are actually very enthusiastic and compassionate people. The goal of every true scientist is to help everyone else. As a scientist, your thoughts everyday should be focused on how to help your world. How to take them to the next level. Selfish is a foreign word to science. Everything you do should be with an aim of helping people. It could be your fellow scientists, sick people, poor people, endangered species, disabled children . . . my brother, my sister, have compassion for these people.
Of course, you may think, is it by force to help these ungrateful people? Well, no. It's also not compulsory to be a great scientist. wink

Appreciate your world

Appreciate here means either to observe/acknowledge or to like/recognize the worth.
In each case, you should not be found lacking. Henri Becquerel, would not have discovered radioactivity if he had not had this trait. Neither would Einstein or Isaac have discovered their mechanics. The sunset . . . it's my most favourite sight of the day. I also observe plants, yoiu should appreciate the sounds of birds, the soft breeze, like newton said, to yourself, be the boy playing by the shore . . . while the ocean of undiscovered truth lays before you.
Observe the details around you, things that other people think insignificant. Might just be the next big discovery. shocked

Work on your imagination

Most people think of ladies butt every passing hour. cheesy
Others cannot take their minds of money. Well, those are some forms of imagination. But it is the kind that leads nowhere. Constructive imagination is the type I will advice.
It takes many forms. But the most common is "thought experiment."
Where you create an experiment in the vast space of your mind and get the answer without physical process. The Schrödinger cat problem, zeno's paradox, and relativity are all products of thought experiments . . . even myself have benefited greatly from the concept. I discovered my most wonderful ideas from it. Try it sometime. It's quite enjoyable! Especially when you discover something and you experience an eureka moment. wink

teach yourself science

Look, I realize that you're basically in school to learn. But science is more than lectures, you have to have a personal experience with science. Only go to school for the sake of a degree. Learn everything yourself. Read the books yourself, conduct experiments or watch them yourself. Don't wait for lecturers at all. They are there to lecture you, not teach you. The teaching must be done by yourself. If you think this tip is difficult, then clearly, you are not done with the first tip. cheesy

let your hobbies challenge your mind.

Lol . . . I'm not saying football is bad. I'm simply saying that you should pick hobbies that require more mental than physical. Jigsaw puzzles, model kits, and riddles might jumpstart your day.
Or, you can go into drawing, music, or ambidexterity. Ambidexterity is especially interesting. cheesy
You could learn other languages . . . or write research papers for fun! Even movies! Futuristic or mystery books are great! The latter forces you to invent new ways to explain strange technology, the later forces you to use logical reasoning and deductive skills.
Or, in the case of physical sports, you could invent new ways to use your bodies. New tackle techniques . . . or you could study the dynamics of the football itself. So, in a real match, you can predict its behaviour! It's really quite cool. cheesy
In fact, you could totally play business games like monopoly or cash flow quadrant.
Note that the more things you put in your memory, the more your mind has to work with. You might be the one to discover the elusive relationship between math and music, or prove the P=NP problem!

be a pack wolf.

By this, I mean, don't isolate yourself. Spend sometime with other like minds. People to joke with, share problems(science related!) With. People to invent with. Trust me, we have passed the age where inventions can be easily completed by one person. And that is where most Nigerians are missing it. Nowadays, ornamental or aesthetic beauty is just as important as functionality! If you invent a fusion machine that looks like scrap, even if it works, no scientist will take you seriously. Team up with artists, engineers, mathematicians, biochemists . . .etc, to create, share, and innovate. They will even keep you on your toes!
During this time, associate yourself with a vast population of fellow scientists. It will be useful later.

do whatever you can

Some people are waiting for the government.
Don't.
You don't have to actually make a real life, life sized invention that will cost a fortune. You could always publish research papers, you could always design miniature versions or virtual designs!
You can source for funds from site like this! Just make sure to fully explain what you are going to use the money for. Nobody is going to steal your patent if you don't reveal the exact mechanics.
In fact, I recommend that you create your idea while still in school. The labour market in Nigeria has a very clever way of sapping motivation. Earlier on, I adviced on having a huge database of fellow scientists. This is why. They are meant to improve on your work. Because that is what science is all about. Don't be selfish. Credit can never be truly stolen. The world will still respect you later on after research. Look at what happened to Edison. Over a century later, the true credits he claimed are being returned to their owners.

As a last note, do not expect to be celebrated in your lifetime. Science is more than fame and fortune. It's about realizing that you now understand your world than anyone else ever will, and that using this knowledge, you have impacted your world positively. cool

Cheers!

Cc
Lalasticlala ishilove

Robinhez johnydon22 xploraben queed slimzjoe preboy ada96 venus007
Emusmith

4 Likes

Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
Wow!! this is intresting,motivating and encouraging....its innovative,Inventive,Incentive,educative and informative in the affirmative.Encapsulated, its Creativity and simplicity at it's best.

Alternative is.....spend a month with Prof Stephen Hawking.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
Hmmmm...

Noted
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 11:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
Wow! Master Teem...u really are good at this.

Permit me to add; don't let ur Parents or anyone else (but escpecially ur parents angry) bring u down.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by khalhokage(m): 11:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
I don't agree with the be a pack wolf part, some of the greatest scientists are introverts, true scientists actually don't care about the physical beauty of a device, what's important is functionality, the real reason for building a pretty device is to garner interest from the general public so you can get funding it's just marketing and also most of the other points aren't things you can just teach yourself.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by johnydon22(m): 12:13am On Jul 23, 2015
[b]A very commendable piece and educating. . . I would encourage every bright mind to pay attention to it.

The most important to ME is LOVE. . . Developing an unbound love for science, developing an unbound love for nature and the study of it.

Being appreciative of your reason, embracing the librating power of curiosity instead of being scared of it.

When one develops Love for something, a hunger and a drive to know it keeps raging within, and only through this love of knowledge can the mind be opened to the wealth, beauty, satisfaction, balance, knowledge and the hunger it envokes in us to know more.

Appreciate the uniqueness in what you see, there are many things to be learnt and known, the exploration of these knowledge is vital to our intellectual growth, and never they be a limit to what you wish to know.

Let your imagination run wild and remember there is no impossiblity in what you can achieve. . . Man once thought it was impossible to fly.
Open your mind to learn new things and your eyes to see things differently. . .

And don't forget "There is no limit to what we can KNOW" the beauty of science!!!

We hope to join the pack of nobel prize winners soon teempakguy, lets see who gets it first... you or me wink
[/b]

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by dokunbam(m): 5:40am On Jul 23, 2015
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Venus007(f): 7:32am On Jul 23, 2015
Great piece![quote author=Teempakguy post=36171252][font=Georgia]
A brilliant scientist is a person who is recognized to have impacted the world by using science as his weapon. A person who made a difference. With science as his medium.
It was never about skin color. Ask George Washington Carver
It was never about gender! Marie curie can testify to that!

Being a brilliant scientist requires more. Than all of the above. People like Isaac newton, Nikola Tesla, and Albert Einstein, did not become such because they were intelligent. They did because of something else!
And you can too!

Perhaps you have always wanted to join the ranks of these great people. Or even surpass them. There is nothing stopping you. Except yourself.

There are some key steps and points you need too consider. Which will ensure you will make your mark on this world. Using science, you will make a difference, a good difference.

Develop a strong love for science

Don't do science because everyone else is. Don't do science because of your parents . . . or because you want to become like bill gates or mark zuckerberg. Do science to the sheer spirit of it. Learn to understand the beauty of science. You need to develop A strong curiosity. Remember, curiosity killed the cat. Not the man. A strong sense of curiosity. Wanting to know more . . . about everything! About the universe you live in. Develop a sense for mathematical beauty. The relationships between abstract and concrete terms . . . develop pleasure from science. Such that your work in science becomes play!

Develop compassion for the world.

Most people perceive scientists as being cold and calculating, but those are just the fake scientists. True scientists are actually very enthusiastic and compassionate people. The goal of every true scientist is to help everyone else. As a scientist, your thoughts everyday should be focused on how to help your world. How to take them to the next level. Selfish is a foreign word to science. Everything you do should be with an aim of helping people. It could be your fellow scientists, sick people, poor people, endangered species, disabled children . . . my brother, my sister, have compassion for these people.
Of course, you may think, is it by force to help these ungrateful people? Well, no. It's also not compulsory to be a great scientist. wink

Appreciate your world

Appreciate here means either to observe/acknowledge or to like/recognize the worth.
In each case, you should not be found lacking. Henri Becquerel, would not have discovered radioactivity if he had not had this trait. Neither would Einstein or Isaac have discovered their mechanics. The sunset . . . it's my most favourite sight of the day. I also observe plants, yoiu should appreciate the sounds of birds, the soft breeze, like newton said, to yourself, be the boy playing by the shore . . . while the ocean of undiscovered truth lays before you.
Observe the details around you, things that other people think insignificant. Might just be the next big discovery. shocked

Work on your imagination

Most people think of ladies butt every passing hour. cheesy
Others cannot take their minds of money. Well, those are some forms of imagination. But it is the kind that leads nowhere. Constructive imagination is the type I will advice.
It takes many forms. But the most common is "thought experiment."
Where you create an experiment in the vast space of your mind and get the answer without physical process. The Schrödinger cat problem, zeno's paradox, and relativity are all products of thought experiments . . . even myself have benefited greatly from the concept. I discovered my most wonderful ideas from it. Try it sometime. It's quite enjoyable! Especially when you discover something and you experience an eureka moment. wink

teach yourself science

Look, I realize that you're basically in school to learn. But science is more than lectures, you have to have a personal experience with science. Only go to school for the sake of a degree. Learn everything yourself. Read the books yourself, conduct experiments or watch them yourself. Don't wait for lecturers at all. They are there to lecture you, not teach you. The teaching must be done by yourself. If you think this tip is difficult, then clearly, you are not done with the first tip. cheesy

let your hobbies challenge your mind.

Lol . . . I'm not saying football is bad. I'm simply saying that you should pick hobbies that require more mental than physical. Jigsaw puzzles, model kits, and riddles might jumpstart your day.
Or, you can go into drawing, music, or ambidexterity. Ambidexterity is especially interesting. cheesy
You could learn other languages . . . or write research papers for fun! Even movies! Futuristic or mystery books are great! The latter forces you to invent new ways to explain strange technology...
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Slimzjoe(m): 9:55am On Jul 23, 2015
Well, I'm Motivated by this....
Lemme add this; No matter how Hard people Laugh at your Wild Imaginations, do not Relent or Feel Bad!!

Note; Don't Play with any thing Explosive no matter what grin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by ELYMAXiimus(m): 10:34am On Jul 23, 2015
Professor Teempakguy has done it again! grin
nice piece, really nice piece!!!
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2015
I think the one thing anyone needs to become a scientist is curiousity.... Cus it starts it all

Good one @teem, nice thread
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 23, 2015
RobinHez:

Permit me to add; don't let ur Parents or anyone else (but escpecially ur parents angry) bring u down.
cheesy
Let me just be modest here. cool
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 23, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]A very commendable piece and educating. . . I would encourage every bright mind to pay attention to it.

The most important to ME is LOVE. . . Developing an unbound love for science, developing an unbound love for nature and the study of it.

Being appreciative of your reason, embracing the librating power of curiosity instead of being scared of it.

When one develops Love for something, a hunger and a drive to know it keeps raging within, and only through this love of knowledge can the mind be opened to the wealth, beauty, satisfaction, balance, knowledge and the hunger it envokes in us to know more.

Appreciate the uniqueness in what you see, there are many things to be learnt and known, the exploration of these knowledge is vital to our intellectual growth, and never they be a limit to what you wish to know.

Let your imagination run wild and remember there is no impossiblity in what you can achieve. . . Man once thought it was impossible to fly.
Open your mind to learn new things and your eyes to see things differently. . .

And don't forget "There is no limit to what we can KNOW" the beauty of science!!!

We hope to join the pack of nobel prize winners soon teempakguy, lets see who gets it first... you or me wink
[/b]
dude . . . you're challenging me right now?
Oh no . . . I've got to up my game seriously then.

Also, I agree with you. Love is the basics. It provides motivation. Even when everything seems down.
Preboy:
I think the one thing anyone needs to become a scientist is curiousity.... Cus it starts it all
Good one @teem, nice thread
thanks. cheesy
Of course, it is the curiosity that starts everything. The desire to know!
ELYMAXiimus:
Professor Teempakguy has done it again! grin
nice piece, really nice piece!!!
thanks a lot!
Slimzjoe:
Well, I'm Motivated by this....
Lemme add this; No matter how Hard people Laugh at your Wild Imaginations, do not Relent or Feel Bad!!
Note; Don't Play with any thing Explosive no matter what grin
iffah hear!
Explosions are cool to look at though . . . cry

Thanks a lot. cool
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 11:37am On Jul 23, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy Let me just be modest here. cool
Ur head is bigging tongue
I called u Master cuz u aint married na ...I would've used Mr...
...Oh u thought tha....grin u're still my boy jare grin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2015
khalhokage:
I don't agree with the be a pack wolf part, some of the greatest scientists are introverts, true scientists actually don't care about the physical beauty of a device, what's important is functionality, the real reason for building a pretty device is to garner interest from the general public so you can get funding it's just marketing and also most of the other points aren't things you can just teach yourself.
LOL . . . I vehemently disagree with you on this.
First off, introverts are not loners. They are simply more likely to stay within their thoughts.
This means that when they find like minds, they work together. Most scientists hardly work alone. Pierre de Fermat, Rene Descartes, and blaise Pascal all collaborated at one time or the other. There was a very strong scientific community at the time of Isaac Newton. In fact, he was the chairman. If you take time to study the history of science and mathematics and philosophy, you will find that ALL the notable scientists worked together. Andrew wiles, Perelman grigori and countless others, flourished on a scientific community. I don't know where you got your facts, but I do not think they are facts. wink
On the second point, I think you will be rather surprised that scientists care very much about how their devices look like.
Since the beginning of time, scientists have paid strict attention to the aesthetic quality of their work. If you take time to study the works of Leonardo da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, and countless others, you will find that prevalent trait there. Just because something works doesn't mean it should look like crap. And TRUE scientists know this. Which is why you will find that while in Nigeria, people pay attention to functionality, in advanced countries, opposite is the case. I need not tell you which class of countries has the most brilliant scientists. wink
On your last pont I say, "Where there is a will, there is a way."

Cheers! grin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Dekatron(m): 3:02pm On Jul 23, 2015
Looks like Teempakguy is already well known around here.

Good points you have there. Science, is that thing that you do when you sit, visualize, imagine, take risks and TRY.

I sat one day & when i was leaving night class from the faculty building(i am an Engine boy o) & i saw a flash of light from the wheels of a car. I thought : In movies, the wheels do move as if the are moving anti-clockwise and then clock wise, but here, i can see that it is moving in a normal way. WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE SHUTTER SPEED OF THE CAMERA, THE DIAMETER OF THE WHEEL AND INTENSITY IF LIGHT? I proposed some equations then (okay, dont hate, i know i am not so correct but i am not 100% wrong either) so many instances i cant recollect.

SCIENCE IS GOLDEN & BTW RICHARD FEYNMAN IS MY BEST AMERICA BORN PHYSICIST and NIKOLA TESLA is a guy I LOVE MOST AMONG ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS.

Keep it up boy, but work on your __________ not saying for now.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2015

Explain.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2015
Karmanaut:

Explain.
compared to other physicists, Richard Feynman is rather unintelligent. His IQ is just 125.

By comparison, Albert Einstein's IQ is 170.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Blakjewelry(m): 7:20pm On Jul 23, 2015
A scientist was asked if he would want his son be like him. He replied and said his does not need to be prof or a mathematician, he said all he needs is the interest and love for science.
One of the reasons I adore Einstein is, he arrived at the solution before looking for maths to express it. Infact Einstein developed most of his theories before he found the mathematical for to express it. To be a good scientist you must allow your imagination run wild I mean there should not be any restrictions
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 23, 2015
Teempakguy:
compared to other physicists, Richard Feynman is rather unintelligent. His IQ is just 125.

Face palm.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Queed: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2015
Teempakguy:

[size=20]teach yourself science[/size]

I so much argree with you on this.
So glad I found out about this a long time ago.

The universe must know that [size=20]I WAS HERE[/size] smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 7:49pm On Jul 23, 2015
Teempakguy:

How did u come out? shocked
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Queed: 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2015
RobinHez:

Don't mind him, he has been checking people's IQ since the time he knew how to subscribe gringringrin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Queed: 8:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
RobinHez:

Talking from experience? cheesy gringringrin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 10:21pm On Jul 23, 2015
Queed:

Don't mind him, he has been checking people's IQ since the time he knew how to subscribe gringringrin

Like people with lesser IQ are less humans undecided
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 10:22pm On Jul 23, 2015
Queed:

Talking from experience? cheesy gringringrin
I nor talk anything o lipsrsealed grin
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 4:41am On Jul 24, 2015
RobinHez:

I was only banned in the politics section.
I'm actually not feeling fine though.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Nobody: 4:43am On Jul 24, 2015
RobinHez:

Like people with lesser IQ are less humans undecided
Queed:

warris dis?

You guys didn't get my point. angry
What I was trying to say was that people's IQ doesn't make them better or worse than everybody else.
We're basically saying the same thing sef. angry
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Queed: 4:48am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
warris dis?

You guys didn't get my point. angry
What I was trying to say was that people's IQ doesn't make them better or worse than everybody else.
We're basically saying the same thing sef. angry

calm down,,,I understand your point smiley
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by RobinHez(m): 6:56am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
I was only banned in the politics section.
I'm actually not feeling fine though.
Awww. . . M sorry bro. Take a rest, its the weather, m still holding off sickness frm it too.
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by Pinocchioo(f): 8:11am On Jul 24, 2015
Just as the OP suggested "be a pack of wolves".
Abeg any fellow chemist in the house
Re: How To Become A Brilliant Scientist. by sammylolo: 2:49pm On Jul 24, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

₦420Billion: China Is Building World's Longest DOUBLE-DECK Suspension Bridge(Pic / Let Us Talk About Drones / Generator: Sumec Firman Or Tec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.