Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Choosing Between Acca And Ican - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (37540 Views)

Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island / Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by MIM77(m): 3:30pm On Mar 21, 2016
Barrysleek:
Most ICAN examiners are from the south west the tend deliberate refuse to pass student from other regions. look at the huge discrepancy in ratio of ICAN members between the south west and other regions.

I think you are wrong, names are not written on the answer scripts, so there is no way any examiner will know whose script he is marking. ICAN's marking system is transparent, more than 5 examiners mark a candidate's script and it is a conference marking. ICAN started from the south-west and before the advent of internet, you have to go to Lagos to get the registration form, fill & submit. When the time of exams comes, you have to go again and register for exams ahead of time and still come back and sit for it. It involved a lot of money, efforts and time to do all that from other regions most especially the northern part of Nigeria but it was relatively easier for those in the south-west. This is the core reason why there are more ICAN members in the south-west than other regions. During those difficult days of the absence of internet, they had more people sitting for the exam because of the relative ease of accessing Lagos for registration and exams, so they will normally have more people passing. When internet came, registration, payment of fees, access to materials, checking of result etc became online and more exam centers were created across the country. By the grace of God, from the beginning to the end I had no course to go to Lagos for anything apart from induction. I am from the north, because of the distance to Lagos if it were those days i wouldn't have been able to start the process not to talk of qualifying. Thanks to technology.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Validated: 3:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Lol bro, you are speaking like you don't even have knowledge of a simple learning affect, no offence but I expect you to know better.

If after you have done ican, I don't expect you to have much problem with Acca, if any (compared to someone that hasn't done any prof exam before), this is because there must have been a learning effect all through your doing ican.. Its the same with someone who has done Acca, I don't expect him to find ican hard at all because of the learning effect.

Saying ican is the best is just your opinion, I know people who are chartered accountants under ican and still finding certain papers in Acca problematic, (although this ordinarily shouldn't be the case).. A lot of factors comes into play in how you approach and can handle subsequent professional exams..

I did ICAN when it was pass all or fail all at one sitting. No carry over. Any serious student of ICAN can pass ACCA with ease. I have passed the two routes and I am talking out of experience. After completing ACCA, I realised it could not take me to my desired destination or give me any reciprocity, then I enrolled in for CIMA (Gateway through Strategic case Study). Even with the so called learning effect, I still reckoned that CIMA was tougher than ACCA. However, with my ICAN background, it was easier for me than most others. My point is, ICAN gives you a SOLID foundation. Yet not recognised outside Nigeria, but if you can pass ICAN, you can pass ACCA easily!

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Validated: 3:52pm On Mar 21, 2016
Barrysleek:
Most ICAN examiners are from the south west the tend deliberate refuse to pass student from other regions. look at the huge discrepancy in ratio of ICAN members between the south west and other regions.

No sir!!! I am from South South like you. My former class mate got awards for all levels when we did ICAN. He is an Edo man. ICAN does not include names on answer booklet, no tribe or religion, only your centre and number. Exam markers are not given your information before hand. I wrote all my examinations in Benin and passed. Just be serious with your studies and forget about this tribal thing. Those days, if you go to PYE and Safe Tutors (in Lagos) you would know some of us in other parts of Nigeria were not reading. ICAN is for serious students. It is quite unlike your normal semester examinations. It is a professional examination for Chartered Accountants.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 3:54pm On Mar 21, 2016
Validated:

I did ICAN when it was pass all or fail all at one sitting. No carry over. Any serious student of ICAN can pass ACCA with ease. I have passed the two routes and I am talking out of experience. After completing ACCA, I realised it could not take me to my desired destination or give me any reciprocity, then I enrolled in for CIMA (Gateway through Strategic case Study). Even with the so called learning effect, I still reckoned that CIMA was tougher than ACCA. However, with my ICAN background, it was easier for me than most others. My point is, ICAN gives you a SOLID foundation. Yet not recognised outside Nigeria, but if you can pass ICAN, you can pass ACCA easily!

Lol this bros sha.. I know you are experienced thats why am saying you should not find Acca hard.. There are people who started Acca from paper f1 too and will find anything ican too easy, thats how it should be.

Cima is obviously more harder than Acca, if you think Acca can't take you there, try CFA so you can taste what it means do be doing something difficult. CIMA is still easy, try cfa bro, come back when you are done and I will respect you. All these ican, Acca, cpa are not supposed to be hard to someone that is serious, I know this!! (Even though there are bound to be circumstances outside one's control that may cause failure)
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 21, 2016
From what stage will I start I CAN with my HND in statistics?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
From what stage will I start ICAN with my HND in statistics?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Theben(m): 4:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Lol this bros sha.. I know you are experienced thats why am saying you should not find Acca hard.. There are people who started Acca from paper f1 too and will find anything ican too easy, thats how it should be.

Cima is obviously more harder than Acca, if you think Acca can't take you there, try CFA so you can taste what it means do be doing something difficult. CIMA is still easy, try cfa bro, come back when you are done and I will respect you. All these ican, Acca, cpa are not supposed to be hard to someone that is serious, I know this!! (Even though there are bound to be circumstances outside one's control that may cause failure)
cool cool
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by fotogirl: 5:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
The point is can the qualification make you a good Accountant, Acca does that, which is what matters. I saw last November Ican questions on Financial reporting, it is simple and not comparable to Acca's f7, why is it now harder than Acca? Nigerians like saying one is harder than the other.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 5:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
fotogirl:
The point is can the qualification make you a good Accountant, Acca does that, which is what matters. I saw last November Ican questions on Financial reporting, it is simple and not comparable to Acca's f7, why is it now harder than Acca? Nigerians like saying one is harder than the other.

I woukd have thought I was the only one who noticed how ridiculously simple that FR for Ican November diet was, same went for their auditing too.. The truth remains that acca will make you a better accountant.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 7:18pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

So u really think Ican is more technical than Acca? Thats laughable bro. I don't want to sound inferior but you cannot compare the ecaminers of Acca to Ican, there is a way acca examiners set questions that you must actually be very knowledgeable and technical to that paper to get something out of it.. Cramming and pouring doesn't help in Acca one bit, you can't rely on calculations only to pass Acca too as several interpretations and comments are required.

Am pretty sure you will also Pm in ican is tougher than what we find in CIMA or that SFM in ICAN is tougher than CFA.. I don't blame you tho cause its easy to be bias especially when you are writing one of the exams in our discourse..

I do ACCA, I know for sure Acca questions are more technical because I solve both ican questions and acca questions. I do ACCA I know for sure even paper P4 is nothing close to what we have in CFA or F5 close to stuffs CIMA (Cant say that for P5 tho).. But the point is I can't be biased, I can easily spot a more technical paper in relation to another when I see one.

I remember waiting ican Fr November skill level question paper to use for preparation of my Acca f7 December diet paper.. I was disappointed with the standard of questions ican set, the 30 marks question on consolidation was a total disgrace to a professional qualification, am sure my lecturer in yr 3 back in uni won't even set such, same went with the questions on auditing, there was hardly anything practical in it, compared to paper f8 in Acca.

Anyway I don't need to say anything more, as I trust that ican is a good professional exam too..

To some of us anything foreign is superior. Check financial reporting ACCA June 2015 and Ican November 2015 and spot the difference.

The consolidation esp was very similar so bro u got no point on that.

Its just the orientation we have that anything foreign is superior. How do you refute the fact that candidates drop ICAN for ACCA because the latter is easy to pass.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 7:27pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

To some of us anything foreign is superior. Check financial reporting ACCA June 2015 and Ican November 2015 and spot the difference.

The consolidation esp was very similar so bro u got no point on that.

Its just the orientation we have that anything foreign is superior. How do you refute the fact that candidates drop ICAN for ACCA because the latter is easy to pass.

Which candidates drop ican for Acca because they think its easy, who are they?, ask them the real reason they are dropping ican.. If they dropped ican, it is not because Acca is easier. Thats very false.

Its not a thing of inferiority complex. You can't compare a white man's technique in financial reporting for example to that of a Nigerian here, this people invent most of these standards, concepts and principles and yet you think a Nigerian examiner would be more technical? Wake up bro!! Avoid being bias..

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by gantic: 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
Same ol same ol....a thread that should inspire the next generation has become a contest on which is better....both definitely have their distinct advantages, veterans should be mentoring based on specific needs of each individual.
Plan to globe trot, ACCA is an edge, plan to sign financials in Nigeria, ICAN is an edge.
Don't know about now, back then, all you needed to add an ICAN to your ACCA was attend a conference, you literally get it on a platter of gold. Never bothered, not because ICAN is less relevant, or more relevant but cos it did not fit my career plans at the time.
I work in a team and nobody remembers who is ACCA or ICAN, we are all accountants, lets drop the arguments and motivate the next generation of accountants.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 8:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Which candidates drop ican for Acca because they think its easy, who are they?, ask them the real reason they are dropping ican.. If they dropped ican, it is not because Acca is easier. Thats very false.

Its not a thing of inferiority complex. You can't compare a white man's technique in financial reporting for example to that of a Nigerian here, this people invent most of these standards, concepts and principles and yet you think a Nigerian examiner would be more technical? Wake up bro!! Avoid being bias..

They invent it does not mean we cannot be better at it. Though its not about comparing ACCA Mgt team to that of Ican but ACCA is business oriented, its a business decision on their own part to make it easy to pass so as to attract more customer.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by glossy6(f): 9:08pm On Mar 21, 2016
sureguy02:

Yes oooo. Some peeps have been writing ican exams since 2007, and there is no end in sight

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 9:19pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

They invent it does not mean we cannot be better at it. Though its not about comparing ACCA Mgt team to that of Ican but ACCA is business oriented, its a business decision on their own part to make it easy to pass so as to attract more customer.

Lol, Acca is business oriented and they make it easy to pass. ? This is the biggest joke ever, stop deluding yourself bro, Acca is everly a better qualification than Ican, they don't make it easy to pass, you get what you deserve!! If I tell you to start dropping proof for this false things you are saying, you will be stranded, show me exactly where you found the Acca strategy of making it easier to pass.. Stop saying what you don't know simply because you probably for reasons known to you can't afford to do ACCA. Ican is not near Acca at all in the learning aspects and exam aspect. But like I said before, since you are doing ican you would always be biased to make it look like you are doing something hard, No bro!! Ican is the easiest professional exam I have attempted, their questions doesn't really require to be technical, its like a "just know it and pass" approach.

If you wanna be a better accountant, just switch to ACCA bro, try CIMA too (I just you can cope here), then you can go further to CFA to proof your worth in tje financial world.. Ican is nothing compared to these 3 exams have mentioned, but I still trust that its a good professional exam.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 9:25pm On Mar 21, 2016
gantic:
Same ol same ol....a thread that should inspire the next generation has become a contest on which is better....both definitely have their distinct advantages, veterans should be mentoring based on specific needs of each individual.
Plan to globe trot, ACCA is an edge, plan to sign financials in Nigeria, ICAN is an edge.
Don't know about now, back then, all you needed to add an ICAN to your ACCA was attend a conference, you literally get it on a platter of gold. Never bothered, not because ICAN is less relevant, or more relevant but cos it did not fit my career plans at the time.
I work in a team and nobody remembers who is ACCA or ICAN, we are all accountants, lets drop the arguments and motivate the next generation of accountants.

I totally agree bro, accountants are Accountants!! But its just annoying how ican students make it seem like ican is the hardest professional exam ever simply because for reasons best known to them they cannot pass.. They have this African mindset that the examiners don't want to pass certain people and so they relent or work less, when they fail they blame ican saying its too hard.

The truth is we can pass any exam if we prepare, this same ican a friend of mine who happens to be an average student like me made her first attempt in November diet acing all the four papers she wrote with the least score being 74.. One thing for sure is that she worked hard and got what she deserved.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by glossy6(f): 9:26pm On Mar 21, 2016
Well continue to argue.
I passed my ICAN in 2 consecutive diets, May and Nov diets. My finals was 10 days to my wedding!

Candidates in the south west start preparing for ICAN exams even while in school hence they have an edge over other regions. Some undergraduates become chartered before even graduating in the west because of the opportunities and awareness.

My hubby is a fellow too and we are not from the West

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 9:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
glossy6:
Well continue to argue.
I passed my ICAN in 2 consecutive diets, May and Nov diets. My finals was 10 days to my wedding!

Candidates in the south west start preparing for ICAN exams even while in school hence they have an edge over other regions. Some undergraduates become chartered before even graduating in the west because of the opportunities and awareness.

My hubby is a fellow too and we are not from the West

Exactly!! If you prepare well for any exam, there is a 90% chance of passing. Am tired of hearing ican students complaining that examiners don't want to pass them. For God sake does the examiner even know them!! I have a friend that got chartered before we got to final year back them too. Simply with hard work and preparation.

Wow so ur hubby is an accountant too, nice one cheesy
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 10:21pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Lol, Acca is business oriented and they make it easy to pass. ? This is the biggest joke ever, stop deluding yourself bro, Acca is everly a better qualification than Ican, they don't make it easy to pass, you get what you deserve!! If I tell you to start dropping proof for this false things you are saying, you will be stranded, show me exactly where you found the Acca strategy of making it easier to pass.. Stop saying what you don't know simply because you probably for reasons known to you can't afford to do ACCA. Ican is not near Acca at all in the learning aspects and exam aspect. But like I said before, since you are doing ican you would always be biased to make it look like you are doing something hard, No bro!! Ican is the easiest professional exam I have attempted, their questions doesn't really require to be technical, its like a "just know it and pass" approach.

If you wanna be a better accountant, just switch to ACCA bro, try CIMA too (I just you can cope here), then you can go further to CFA to proof your worth in tje financial world.. Ican is nothing compared to these 3 exams have mentioned, but I still trust that its a good professional exam.

Ican is nothing compared to those 3 exams as how, you cannot compare cima and CFA with ICAN cause they are kinda different. CPA, ACCA and ICAN can be compared cause they have the same exam structure.

Your bias and foreign orientation is obvious. I use ACCA past question with that of ICAN to practice, I don't see where its more technical than that of ICAN, at most they can only be seen as perfect substitute.

As for if I can cope with cima, u need not to put that line cos we don't know each other ability.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 10:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
fotogirl:

You saw not that u attempted it, Technical question always looks simple, you should be thankful u were not writing the exam.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 10:33pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

Ican is nothing compared to those 3 exams as how, you cannot compare cima and CFA with ICAN cause they are kinda different. CPA, ACCA and ICAN can be compared cause they have the same exam structure.

Your bias and foreign orientation is obvious. I use ACCA past question with that of ICAN to practice, I don't see where its more technical than that of ICAN, at most they can only be seen as perfect substitute.

As for if I can cope with cima, u need not to put that line cos we don't know each other ability.

I am bias? Really? Because I said Ican is nothing compared to ACCA Cima or cfa?

You know what it means to be bias, saying ican candidates are more brilliant than Acca candidates or Acca is easy to pass because it is business oriented. Am still waiting for a proof of that statement, seems you don't know anything about the quality controls of bodies like Acca, why do you think its among the top 5 accounting profession bodies in the world, you think its luck?

When I mentioned cima and cfa, I was talking of difficulty level, thes two exams are more technical than both ACCA and Ican.. Am not saying ican isn't technical but stop comparing it to ACCA standards of questions, I know what am saying because I find the obvious difference. I can pass an ican exam without studying as much as I do for Acca, seeing the quality of questions they set.

Sure I always advise ican students to use Acca packs, that will give you an hedge when you are attempting ican questions
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 10:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

You saw not that u attempted it, Technical question always looks simple, you should be thankful u were not writing the exam.

Me I attempted those fr questions with the hope of it preparing me a bit for my f7.. I was disappointed with how cheap it was, I had to continue using questions from ACCA past exams.. A female friend of mine got 77 in that FR,83 in PM.. She was even surprised she got so high marks.. If you get up to 80 in Acca paper F5, then I must tell you that you are a boss!!
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 10:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
Sorry she made 86 in PM. Am not sure even the highest score for Acca globally in paper f5 December diet was up to 86..

Y'all keep making ican look hard but several people who study hard pass it easily. This screenshot is a first attempt by this friend of mine and she isn't a spectacular student

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 11:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

Check the Acca December pass rates in the screenshot below and compare it with your statement that Acca is business oriented and wants all their candidates to pass, thats why people run to it.. You better don't be deceived, a particular guy was even telling me if he knew Acca was as cumbersome as this, he would have sticked to Ican.

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by shogz89: 11:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Check the Acca December pass rates in the screenshot below and compare it with your statement that Acca is business oriented and wants all their candidates to pass, thats why people run to it.. You better don't be deceived, a particular guy was even telling me if he knew Acca was as cumbersome as this, he would have sticked to Ican.
post ican pass rate for may diet last year, then you will know this one you posted is luxury.. I guess that's the reason they tweaked down the difficulty level and it looked simple on November diet.. I attend my lectures in wyse and my lecturer told me about 12% passed pm and less than 200 people passed fr in may diet. Truth is to me Acca is more technical than ican buh ican is equally hard and needs equal dedication to pass it
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 11:26pm On Mar 21, 2016
shogz89:
post ican pass rate for may diet last year, then you will know this one you posted is luxury.. I guess that's the reason they tweaked down the difficulty level and it looked simple on November diet.. I attend my lectures in wyse and my lecturer told me about 12% passed pm and less than 200 people passed fr in may diet. Truth is to me Acca is more technical than ican buh ican is equally hard and needs equal dedication to pass it

I know pm is a very technical paper and thats why I was surprised when that my friend said she got 86 with few weeks of study., even if u tell me 10% passed a PM paper I can believe you.. But for FR, there is no reason for failure, FR is principle based to a large extent!!

I don't want to believe ican watered their November diet standard because of your diet's failure tho, I think they are usually consistent with their question quality.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by shogz89: 11:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

I know pm is a very technical paper and thats why I was surprised when that my friend said she got 86 with few weeks of study., even if u tell me 10% passed a PM paper I can believe you.. But for FR, there is no reason for failure, FR is principle based to a large extent!!

I don't want to believe ican watered their November diet standard because of your diet's failure tho, I think they are usually consistent with their question quality.
brother they watered it down o, and the funny thing was that the result came at a diet that recorded low registration, high failure n couple with Acca reducing their fees for their Nigerian students..
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by fotogirl: 1:01am On Mar 22, 2016
ibadanfinest:

I did attempt it and gave some of my students to attempt. There is no good test of IFRS there, the question on impairment of asset is too simple and there was a question that just tested depreciation in a whole question. The thing is ican questions are simple, they might just be strict to there students which is unfair.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Greycious(m): 7:35am On Mar 22, 2016
@ Olorunfemihimself
got ur mail bro.
Thanks a million times smiley
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by accavideoslsbf: 6:24pm On Jun 13, 2016
p
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by accavideoslsbf: 6:26pm On Jun 13, 2016
l

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by afuye(m): 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
THANKS A BUNCH. GOD BLESS YOU
sureguy02:
Spread the good news!!!

Due to popular demand, I have decided to upload BPP ACCA study texts and practice and revision kits for Paper F1-Paper P7 to my blog. The only exception is paper F6 and paper P6 and this is because the copies I have are old and the tax laws(Finance Act) change every year.

Ordinarily, these books are suitable for exams till June 2015 but, since there were no recent changes in the syllabuses for most ACCA papers, most people will find them highly relevant.

ICAN candidates can also use these materials to complement ICAN study packs.

Kindly contact me if you experience any trouble in downloading the books.

Visit www.ng-books..com to download them now!

I hope to upload the latest versions of these books in the nearest future. keep checking.

Spread the word!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chemical Engineering Graduate Sells Smoked Catfish - Pictures / FG Set To Sack 3,500 Staff / Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.