Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,622 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career (9379 Views)

Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 14, 2015
hello people, am a bit confused on my career path and thereby seek your advice so as not to make a big mistake in life.
I work as a call center agent in one of the major telecom company in nigeria. Recently, we were informed that we will be moved to ibadan come october this year, but the issue is, I intend to apply for an MBA program in unilag this same year.
The question is, should I forfeit my MBA plans for the job in ibadan i.e if the salary is OK, or forget going to ibadan and proceed with my educational career?.
take note that our salary will be slashed in ibadan.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by jcflex(m): 11:27am On Jul 14, 2015
If not for the slash in salary, it will have been better for you to move to ibadan,

again if the reduction is still not much, i will still advise you to move to ibadan.

reason
1. Far less congestion on the road
2. you dnt have to wake up by 4 or 5 to start going to work
3. return back home on time
4. Tfare compare to Lag is drastically Low
5. Food item at Ibadan cheaper compare to Lag
6. House rent very cheap compare to lag, xcept you wnt to stay in Hibrow area of ib, like Oluyole estate, Challenge, Bodija estate, Akobo, Ring road, yet they are still affordable compare to Lag.
7. You get Value for your money
8. Social life is on the increase in Ib now, so you virtually miss ntin xcept for beach alone. two Shoprite store, ventura Cinema, and many more.

My brother, you will spend far less in ib compare to lag.

for your education, you have nothing to loose,
UI PG form is out, you can go for it, if it not close yet, but am nt sure if it still on sale or not,
Again OAU Ife is jst 40Min drive from Ibadan,

and personally, i even prefer those sch to UNILAG,

OAU PG form is not out yet, kindly watch out for it,

with 70k Wages, for an average person, you will live like a KING in ibadan

40 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 14, 2015
thanks a lot for the advice. I rili appreciate
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by DTOBS(m): 12:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
Well, I think other things need to be considered before you make your final decision...such as
1. your family take in it, 2. your adaptability to new environment, 3. your love for the work and your love for the career,which one is greater? 4. rlatinsohip palava (if u re in any)....so,bros in a nutshell,I will advice I weigh all ur options properly and go for the best. also do not forget to follow ur heart.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Blackchampion(m): 12:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ur salary wud be slashed in Ibadan? And why?
Well, 4 me ur decision should lie on whether ur MBA Course is line with ur current job, as dat will be a boost 4u in d future 2geda wit ur experience. And if otherwise, getting a job in Nigeria now is not easy let alone quitting d 1 u hv.
BTW u nid to tell us ur current salary range to enable us understand ur situation. #my2cent
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Kelvin0(m): 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
U didn't outline if u had a choice in d decision of the coy to move u guys to Ibadan. If you have a say as to whether to move to Ibadan or not maybe u don't need an advise after all.

I believe u probably need d MBA to get a better job or a more juicy pay package, if d pay in Ibadan is substantial then u should move and forget about MBA for now
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Adesiji77: 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok..will be back to make a comment
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Afrocatalyst: 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
Choose both and start a business. You can do both.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Jaymima(f): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
U.I is an equally good school. Except they dont offer your choice course of study, why dont you relocate and pursue your mba programme in Ibadan while still working? Maybe you have persons ready to sponsor you thru school. Remember... A Bird in Hand is worth two in the sky.

5 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Mopolchi: 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
Both are Ok. do them.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Franchise21(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
How do I help u nw?? Must d MBA be done in UNILAG? To the best of my knowledge, UI is situated in Ibadan, y can't u do it there? To get job these days scarce ooh. If u don't need it, contact me, I'd gladly replace u bro. Wat are friends for??

6 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by rattlesnake(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
It's like asking if u should sell your car to buy tyres. ...MbA people too are looking for jobs undecided

4 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by promisechild(m): 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
Are you in need of a home tutor for your child this
summer? and you stay in Abuja. Path way home
tutor , Abuja is the best bet for that.

contact 08139018012
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Benbisco(f): 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
Pls go for the MBA.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
sippping kunu
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by hakeem4(m): 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
enyinna4:
hello people, am a bit confused on my career path and thereby seek your advice so as not to make a big mistake in life.
I work as a call center agent in one of the major telecom company in nigeria. Recently, we were informed that we will be moved to ibadan come october this year, but the issue is, I intend to apply for an MBA program in unilag this same year.
The question is, should I forfeit my MBA plans for the job in ibadan i.e if the salary is OK, or forget going to ibadan and proceed with my educational career?.
job
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by dollarlander: 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
That guys advice is okay.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by hazyfm: 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
Must it be UNILAG, can't it be in another school like UI, OAU, etc?

Jobs are hard to get these days

MBA does not even give u the assurance of getting a job

Only few connected folks i know got jobs with an MBA from home
What MBA will gives u is an edge to change jobs, not getting a job from the comfort of your house
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Truckpusher(m): 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
So he can blame us for his woes? cheesy no advice for you my friend . grin
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Lyndylove: 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
If the salary is manageable, you can do your MBA in University Of Ibadan while working.

COMING SOON!
THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!
JULY 15TH!!!

[Music] LYNDY _ MY HERO [A TRIBUTE TO DR
GOODLUCK JONATHAN]

My hero is a tribute to Dr Goodluck Jonathan
appreciating his achievements and efforts towards making Nigeria great, for being a true democrat and for preserving our peace and unity.

IT DROPS ON JULY 15TH!!!
YOU DON'T WANNA MISS THIS!!!
Follow on twitter: @ Lyndymk
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by WhatDoYouMean: 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Honestly, this is not the type of question you seek public opinion before you make a worthwhile decision. But since you need public opinion, here is mine.

1. Is this MTN job your very first paid job?
2. How long have you worked with MTN ( because I know they are the people recruiting/relocating Call Centre Agents to Ibadan for now)
3. How much are they paying you?
4. How much have you saved so far?
5. What class of degree did you graduate with?
6. Can the money you have saved over the years take you through an MBA without borrowing?

If you can answer these questions, then you have the solution to your immediate challenge!
You are just a B.Sc or even HND holder and every idiot out there now has that same certificate. My dear, go and get your MBA and re-apply to MTN after you have got it. I assure you that your salary by then will be far higher than whatever peanut you get from them now as salary. Moreover, you can take up a small job which is not quite time consuming there in Lagos while running your MBA program.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Its yur Job and yu can do part time course @ weekend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Its yur Job and yu can do part time course @ weekend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by DTOBS(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2015

sowie bro! the form has closed, infact we've just started a new session...
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by shalomm: 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
bros, you no be Naija boy? why you dey doll na? my guy, you fit run both if you want to....
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by harrycoco(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
enyinna4:
follow your mind
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Franchise21(m): 12:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
jcflex:
If not for the slash in salary, it will have been better for you to move to ibadan,

again if the reduction is still not much, i will still advise you to move to ibadan.

reason
1. Far less congestion on the road
2. you dnt have to wake up by 4 or 5 to start going to work
3. return back home on time
4. Tfare compare to Lag is drastically Low
5. Food item at Ibadan cheaper compare to Lag
6. House rent very cheap compare to lag, xcept you wnt to stay in Hibrow area of ib, like Oluyole estate, Challenge, Bodija estate, Akobo, Ring road, yet they are still avoidable [/b]compare to Lag.
7. You get Value for your money
8. Social life is on the increase in Ib now, so you virtually miss ntin xcept for beach alone. two Shoprite store, ventura Cinema, and many more.

My brother, you will spend far less in ib compare to lag.

for your education, you have nothing to loose,
UI PG form is out, you can go for it, if it not close yet, but am nt sure if it still on sale or not,
Again OAU Ife is jst 40Min drive from Ibadan,

and personally, i even prefer those sch to UNILAG,

with 70k Wages, for an average person, you will live like a KING in ibadan
[b] AFFORDABLE
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by trailblaiza(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
If the slash is not more than 20% of your present salary,Bro Ibadan is it! Like the guy up there said, the cost of living in Ibadan is relatively low (you can get a nice 2 bedroom flat in Ibadan for 180k. Double of that amount is what will get you a self con' in Lagos). Confirm when Ibadan's PG form will be out and you're good to go!
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by jaybee3(m): 12:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
Do you plan to rely on your projected income to sustain yourself throughout the academic year?

If yes, then you may have to defer your admission for an extra year

If No, then simply resign as the experience wouldn't necessarily add much value to your future career
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by bigerboy200: 12:55pm On Jul 14, 2015
Don't quit ur Job..move down to Ibadan,cost of living is cheaper down there than in Lagos, u can do ur MBA programme in UI, u can also choose to do it in OAU..

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Ways To Get Along Better With Your Coworkers / Would You Quit Your Job? / Naf Commences Training Of 450 Special Forces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.