Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? (974 Views)

Whats The Current Fixed Deposit Interest Rate For Nigerian Banks / MMM Participant Accused Of Duping Fellow Member He Was Matched With (Photo) / Investors Losing Faith In Buhari's Govt Over Lack Of Economic Direction-bloomber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? by ernie4life(m): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2015
It is no longer news that our economy is going from bad to worse, below are some of the major highlights

Inflation
Currently at 9.2% with the likely hood of hitting double digits soon

Exchange rate
Naira is exchanging for dollar at 243 in the parallel market while the official exchange rate is still at 197 but it’s nowhere to be found. Weather CBN devalues the naira or remove subsidy or both; the naira is most likely to go down more.

Stock market
Yesterday I was discussing with some friends and colleagues on the present situation of the stock market, each one of us was of the opinion that the market was yet to bottom out, all indices where pointing to that fact, only an investor with a long term horizon would invest now because prices are favourable right now for buyers but then you may need to wait longer than usual for prices to pick up even at that its advised you stick to quality names to avoid stories that touch

Oil prices and our foreign reserve
The lifting of international economic sanctions from Iran will allow Iran to supply more oil therefore increasing the supply for Oil creating more gluts. The effect of this is we(Nigeria) will probably be looking for buyers of our oil and this will in turn worsen our foreign reserves, remember our foreign reserves has already gone past the level of international confidence.

Interest rate
This is the only place that still looks stable, but Tbills rates are not that encouraging when you put into consideration the inflation rate, most banks/ investment house are still offering nice rates on fixed deposits but I doubt if they can hold on for long.
Mutual funds with a larger portion of their asset class allocated to equities have also had their share of the harsh economy.

In the mist of all this and more, as an economist, a financial analyst and an investor I know opportunities still abound somewhere, the question is where?

My fellow investors I would like to know how and where you think are the best for times like this to invest while waiting for the economy to bounce back up.

Cc
Feelamong
Nairaquest
Carpenter
stockbull

1 Like

Re: Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? by stockbull(m): 6:26pm On Jul 24, 2015
These are the realities that you've mentioned.oil price may not trade at $100 per barrel in the next five years,a dollar may not sell at N160 in many years to come,unemployment rate is not likely to come down marginally etc....one thing is for stocks to be cheap,another thing is the time they would be expensive. several stock markets in the globe have sustained a decade of bullish market before,including Nigeria but those times seem to've gone .stocks will still become cheaper on the nigerian bourse but when will it become expensive,trading far above the fair value is a question begging for answer when speculation has taken the order of the day!foreign investors would definitely come but when there're evidences that the future of the economy may be gloomy,they are bound to speculate more often.sincerely,real estate investment is taking the place of stocks globally and stocks may not be as juicy as it used to be.we might've not experienced the trend of the stock market index on sideways on medium term of like four years before;may be this is the time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? by ernie4life(m): 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2015
stockbull:
These are the realities that you've mentioned.oil price may not trade at $100 per barrel in the next five years,a dollar may not sell at N160 in many years to come,unemployment rate is not likely to come down marginally etc....one thing is for stocks to be cheap,another thing is the time they would be expensive. several stock markets in the globe have sustained a decade of bullish market before,including Nigeria but those times seem to've gone .stocks will still become cheaper on the nigerian bourse but when will it become expensive,trading far above the fair value is a question begging for answer when speculation has taken the order of the day!foreign investors would definitely come but when there're evidences that the future of the economy may be gloomy,they are bound to speculate more often.sincerely,real estate investment is taking the place of stocks globally and stocks may not be as juicy as it used to be.we might've not experienced the trend of the stock market index on sideways on medium term of like four years before;may be this is the time.

I had to share and like this at same time.
this is the current situation of the economy.

real estate sounds good, but considering the new government is on a probing mission I doubt if real estate will be as juicy as it used to be and then inflation and increase in consumer price index is also a factor to put into consideration.

stockbull what's your take on REIT right now

1 Like

Re: Fellow Investors How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Challenges? by faithtracey(f): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2015
ernie4life:

I had to share and like this at same time.
this is the current situation of the economy.

real estate sounds good, but considering the new government is on a probing mission I doubt if real estate will be as juicy as it used to be and then inflation and increase in consumer price index is also a factor to put into consideration.

stockbull what's your take on REIT right now

please i am looking for someone or persons (a christian lady precisely) to share a flat with around egbeda (akowonjo), ogunlana and environ, or if there is anyone arnd here hu can help with a non expensive neat spacious self contain...pls contact me on 08078931829 (whattspp) as this has become urgent. thanks in anticipation.

(1) (Reply)

200 Acres Of Land Needed In Either Oyo, Osun, Ogun Ondo, Ekiti / Earn Even As A Student,corper, Employed And Unemployed. / GHW Works$$$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.