Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night (30770 Views)

Six Tips To Get Your Phone Battery To Charge Much Faster / Fix Your Phone Without Leaving Your Comfort / Meet The Grandfather Of Your Phone:First Smartphone To Run On Android OS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by McCarlito(m): 2:04am On Jul 25, 2015
This has been an issue that started since the invention of mobile phones. Our daily usage of this small pocket computers makes it almost impossible for it to save power at the end of each day. Often times, many of us connect our phones to the charger at night and fall asleep, content in the knowledge that we will wake up to a fully charged device.

Now that raise the question of – Is It Safe Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge OverNight ? Is it destroying your smartphone’s battery or reducing its lifespan?

Is It Safe Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night

We have heard loads of myths and debatable ideas on this issue. You will discover that the Internet is filled with opinions masking as facts. What is the truth? This post will reveal some and probably change your opinion.

Shane Broesky, co-founder of Farbe Technik – a company that makes charging accessories says

Leaving your phone plugged in overnight is okay to do, it will not drastically harm your device, your phone is very smart, once it is fully charged it knows when to stop the current from coming in to protect your phone from overcharging.”

But wait, it appears there might be times when leaving your smartphone charging overnight can considerably reduce the lifespan of your battery.

Lithium-ion batteries can react poorly if your phone experiences elevated temperatures, leading to a damaging effect, If you have a case on your device that does not allow for heat to escape, this heat will increase the temperature of the battery and will cause cell oxidation, which will shrink the capacity and shorten the lifespan.“ explained Shane.

If your smartphone uses a case, be sure to take it off at night in the event you’re going to leave the phone plugged in and charging.

How Best to Charge Your Smartphone
Shane Continues…..

The sweet spot for Lithium-ion batteries is to keep them charged between 50 and 80 percent. This allows for the charged ions to continue to work and protect the life of your battery. Charging your device in short spurts throughout the day will give these ions just enough energy to keep them going.” he said.

In simple English, frequent charging instead of one daily charge up is safer for your battery. It might not be convenient, but that is the optimal way to charge your smartphone if you want to ensure the longest life possible.

Don’t Do

The major threat to your battery is charge cycles, a charge cycle is where your battery goes from empty or near-empty to full and every phone battery has a limited number of charge cycles before the end of its life.” Shane explains.

Although you might be lucky with a high number of charge cycles before that limit is reached, but eventually your smartphone battery will noticeably degrade and when it does, you will discover that it only lasts a very short amount of time, or it will simply not turn on at all.

Shane suggests

Try to avoid going from 0 to 100 percent whenever possible, this will start to break down your battery and give your device a shorter lifespan.”

Quality Accessories the Best

One very important factor to put into consideration when charging your smartphone is the quality of the accessories you use. The best way to go is to use the charger and cable that was shipped with your smartphone. Don’t have that ? You should buy another official charger and cable.

Most times original chargers and cables are quite expensive, but you can still find very good alternatives. I will personally recommend Konga – Online store in Nigeria. It is also very essential to ensure that the charger and cable you buy has the correct rating. Cross-check the amp or watt rating with your phone’s specifications.

And Finally……

You now know that leaving your phone plugged into the charger overnight carry little risk, on the condition that you are using genuine charger and cable. And as long as you don’t let your phone overheat.

Now for a quick recap for best results with your smartphone charging, here’s what to remember:

Always use original chargers and cables, or certified alternatives from reputable brands and retailers.

Do not let your phone get too hot, be sure to remove the case when charging overnight.
To get the longest battery life possible, try to keep your battery between 50 and 80 percent.
Avoid letting your smartphone battery completely discharge, and don’t charge it from 0 percent up to 100 percent too often.

Source: http://www.afaat.com/2015/04/safe-to-leave-your-smartphone-charging-overnight/

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 25, 2015
Noted!

Buh O.P wah choice do we BB users havegrin

Yipee...once again I'm FTC afta a long tymgrin
Thank you introvert for goin on sabbatical leave..hehehe

Oya shakiti bobowinksmiley

8 Likes

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by McCarlito(m): 3:00am On Jul 25, 2015
cheekilicious:
Noted!
U never sleep!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by iahmed(m): 3:26am On Jul 25, 2015
Intresting!
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Ademat7(m): 5:02am On Jul 25, 2015
K
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by 9aijaboi(m): 5:29am On Jul 25, 2015
Nice
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by rman: 6:06am On Jul 25, 2015
Spot on. engineering or physics students can relate to this.
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Vince77(m): 6:53am On Jul 25, 2015
In Nigeria i plug my fone anytime i see light. E no dey ever charge full and u kw why dont u?

Anyways thx for d information.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by mu2sa2: 7:00am On Jul 25, 2015
These experts sometimes come up with different opinions. The one quoted here says avoid charging your phone battery from 0-100%. But I have read an article before where another expert says you should reset the changing cycle of your battery at least once a month. He says you reset the battery's charging cycle by letting the charge on it drop to 0% and then recharge to 100% -you do this once a month to optimise the battery.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 25, 2015
I love the "Konga" advert in the write-up..

Its called persuasive advertisement.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by priscaoge(f): 7:03am On Jul 25, 2015
Nice post......Different strokes for different folks. All these experts go confuse person brain undecided undecided I carry my charger in my bag everywhere I go in case. tongue But that issue of charging it over night, I do that always cos I don't trust NEPA embarassed embarassed

5 Likes

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by richyfunky(m): 7:19am On Jul 25, 2015
Nice write up, Very educating

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by ogunwalea(m): 7:44am On Jul 25, 2015
I'm so guilty of leaving my phone to charge overnight. Not my fault though.

Na PHCN undecided
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by alphaStoner(m): 7:44am On Jul 25, 2015
Hold on make I read 1st
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by morereb10: 7:45am On Jul 25, 2015
tnks

1 Like

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by parzdor(m): 7:45am On Jul 25, 2015
My area even for the overnight na 23% u go wake up see

3 Likes

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Pecca: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2015
Seen
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Hoii(m): 7:46am On Jul 25, 2015
So many 'experts'.
Some say do this, some say don't do it.
Who do we believe?
E ma da wa lori ru o (dnt scatter our head abeg)

1 Like

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Afrocatalyst: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2015
An fond of charging with uncertified chargers for my smartphone. Hmmm. Nice one. Lesson learnt. No charging with korofo chargers,no charging from 0 to 100%, no charging when its hot and try to maintain 80 to 50%. Ok.
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2015
I don't actually think it's smart to charge anything over-night, but then again you can't trust PHCN. lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by youngwarlocks: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2015
ok
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by holysaint1(m): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2015
chei... Mtn sad
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by passionate88: 7:47am On Jul 25, 2015
I do it..
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by valmunich(m): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2015
if I no plug am over the night, when next I wan charge am
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by SQLmastar(m): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2015
Too long. I can't read all zat.
If my smartphone gets spoilt, I buy anoda one!
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by youngwarlocks: 7:48am On Jul 25, 2015
McCarlito:

U never sleep!!! shocked shocked shocked

u nko?
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by holysaint1(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2015
parzdor:
R
R for Romanus
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by ElPhenomenal(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2015
story
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 25, 2015
Guilty!
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by Samseen(m): 7:52am On Jul 25, 2015
Toh !
Re: About Leaving Your Smartphone To Charge Over-night by quiethollu(m): 7:54am On Jul 25, 2015
Nice...now I know. cheesy wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Ways To Charge Your Phone In An Emergency / Hot!: Glo 1.2GB For N200 Valid For 3days / Apple To Release iPhone 13 In September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.