Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

5 Advantages To Taking Online Course - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Advantages To Taking Online Course (561 Views)

7 Advantages Of Being Self-employed / 8 Solid Advantages Of Marrying An Accountant / 5 Solid Advantages Of Marrying A Nurse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Advantages To Taking Online Course by Opetech(m): 7:57am On Jul 25, 2015
As the trend of studying and earning certificates and course credits online continued to grow, many are still yet to take advantage of it.

I started taking opportunities that online courses has to offer about 10 months ago when I suddenly fell in love with photography. Despite paying for my photography classes, my tutor told me what is expected of every apprentice. I must do more of self study, both theoretical and practical, if I ever want to produce amazing pictures. Hence my foray into online learning for photography course.
Here are 5 advantages to taking an online course.

1. Convenience

I remembered walking into my first university course, taking my seat among at least 1000 students in an introductory physics class. There were more students in that class than my entire secondary school. I could barely see what was written on the board nor hear the lecturer, the public address system was not addressing the public, it wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Studying online is convenient as the hassles of rushing to classes, trying to beat traffic does not arise because study is done in the comfort of the home. Study time can also be planned to suit one's daily schedule.

2. It's relatively cheap

Online courses are cheaper to undertake. Going to a regular school costs tons of naira in terms of tuition, cost of transportation and textbooks. The only resources needed for successful learning is access to the internet. Fortunately, proliferation of smart phones has made accessibility to the internet on the go easier. Course materials are also available free in various formats for download free, eliminating cost of purchasing books.

3. No Drama

Maximum concentration can be given to online study as there are no dramas associated with it. It is devoid of distractions by course mates or sexual harassment by lecturers who will not stop failing students until the girl does the needful.

4. Ease of Communication and Networking

Students can easily communicate with their teachers online as well as network and relate with their colleagues. Online tutors respond to students' questions promptly as each student often has a tutor assigned to him or her. I enjoyed a robust tutoring while taking my course last year.

5. Technology skills

Students who afford themselves the opportunity of learning online improve their 'computer' skills through accessing course materials in different file formats, submission of assignments and classwork as well as participating in learning forum. Proficiency in computer skills is numerous in job openings today.
Online courses have come to stay no doubt. This is however not to say it is here to replace the traditional method of learning which involves attending lectures in the walls of the classroom.

Here are some recommended sites to take good courses online for free: MIT OpenCourseware, Khan Acadamy, ALISON, edx

Have you taken any online course before? Let me have your experiences and thoughts in the comment box.

http://www.lifebuildingtips.com/2015/07/5-advantages-to-taking-online-course.html?m=1
Re: 5 Advantages To Taking Online Course by omitooguns(m): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2015
I thought it was announced on radio dat online courses/schooling are no longer recognized in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have Passion For Writing? - I Need Writers. / Hope Has Come / Recruitment (bsc-masters) For British-university..london & Asia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.