Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,899 members, 7,824,774 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Local Area Networking Basic Components - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Local Area Networking Basic Components (769 Views)

8 Laptop Components You Should Know / Setting up a Local Area Network (LAN) / Help I Cant Find Local Area Connection In My System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Area Networking Basic Components by ade9ja(m): 6:11am On Mar 15, 2009
A local area networking is a form of computer network that covers a small geographical area usually a home, an office, or an entire building.
The world today is considered a global village, nearly all business transactions have one way or the other felt the impact of the information and communication technology networking.
Sharing resources as the basis of networking also helps really in the spread and awareness of information.
Outline below are some of the main basic networking component

Network Interface Card, Repeaters, Hub, Bridges, Switches, Routers.

Network Interface Card
Network interface card also known as network adapter or simply network card is the physical hardware component that allow the computer to communicate with rest of the networks. It is provide with a special address known as Media Access Control(MAC) address by the manufacturer to identify it separately from others.

Repeaters
A repeater is a device that receives signal and retransmits it as it travel over the network most especially implemented when the distance between nodes surpass the standard specification.

Hub
A hub is a device that receives data from one node especially the server and send it to all the nodes on the network.

Bridges
A as the name implies, a bridge is a device that bridge two or more networks together. Bridge has a memory of all the MAC addresses of all the nodes on the network.

Switches
A switch is a device compare hub that transmit data to the rest of the network compare but more capable of functioning than the hub, it has the capability of memorizing the IP address of each node on the network and thereby not broadcasting the data to the entire network but sending it to the destination host.

Routers
Routers are networks device that forward data packets between networks using headers and forwarding tables to determine the best path to forward the packet to.
Re: Local Area Networking Basic Components by engrhamid(m): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2009
I must say, u really tried but if i may ask,whats this thread all about?
Re: Local Area Networking Basic Components by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 15, 2009
I though i was the only one confused, it looks like a tutorial and somewhat like an advert too. . .not sure which one to believe, so i will still keep my fingers crossed. . .
Re: Local Area Networking Basic Components by engrhamid(m): 8:06am On Mar 16, 2009
Same here

(1) (Reply)

Cadlin Services Introduction / I'm Developing An Application For Facebook / Pc Sound Card.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.