Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job (44624 Views)

Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? / Zenith Bank Interview 2016 / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ignis: 9:43am On Jul 28, 2015
hmmmm
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by TruthisOut: 9:47am On Jul 28, 2015
You should not have told the interviewer that you have no banking or marketing experience even if you don't, besides that I think your answers can pass. He was just giving you a hard time.

Just be hopeful and keep searching too.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by eipreel(f): 9:47am On Jul 28, 2015
Bonapart:
Na so una dey Bleep up.... the next thing 'is no job'
undecided

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by papadjaji: 9:48am On Jul 28, 2015
MrCork:

...ermm Bro...but how is these sopose to help us guys find chicks on Nairaland?...we don't gerrrrrrrit!!! (no oofeinse) angry

Na mumu dey worry you.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Abduletudaye(m): 9:48am On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

But then.. He interrupted me and asked me:

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.

Hmmmmm....Bro...i pray we all get in...i was also interviewed by the same man..i hope we get the Job...but the A.C nearly kill me ooo grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Jennifer89(f): 9:49am On Jul 28, 2015
TruthisOut:
You should not have told the interviewer that you have no banking or marketing experience even if you don't, besides that I think your answers can pass. He was just giving you a hard time.

Just be hopeful and keep searching too.

you are on point. He shouldn't have told the interviewer that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by MrCork: 9:53am On Jul 28, 2015
papadjaji:

Na mumu dey worry you.

^^^^Great advise comin from a mechanic lookin Mofo who call him sef Pajipajipapaji... YOU HOMEBASE GUYS WIT YOR VILLAGE SWAG MENNNNNN!! (no offense) undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by sammhi(m): 9:55am On Jul 28, 2015
what he wanted from you is simple:
from you, your family members, friends, relations, acquaintances, church members associates etc
next time don't tell your employer you don't have the experience..it shows you don't want the job

4 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by addictiv(m): 9:56am On Jul 28, 2015
onatisi:
that is a normal question any company will ask someone applying to be their marketer. How will u generate sales ? I would have asked the same question myself if I was the person doing the interview. I believe marketing is a talent and inborn not everyone can market goods and services. The op has learnt his lessons and he will surely scale through the next one he attends
Wrong every human is a sales person. You don't need talent you need skills

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Stanleyafam(m): 10:13am On Jul 28, 2015
Why not just get ur own product and start marketing, even if it's groundnut sef..imagine the stress to generate 500 accounts.. *sigh*
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by bigiyaro(m): 10:16am On Jul 28, 2015
guy! Tank God o, u nearly enter slavery.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by pro100(m): 10:16am On Jul 28, 2015
Thanks for your advice, great achievers are dose who failure inspired them to strive for more.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by manosteel(m): 10:17am On Jul 28, 2015
Bros do not be discouraged, it is still never too late. Here is my own experience, I attended one interview many years back where I got almost everything wrong, I came back depressed and hated everything around me. Two weeks later I got a job offer later from the same company, I almost fainted for a good reason.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2015
morning, please am looking for a company to do my industrial training (I.T). civil engineering department, at Lagos. will b glad with you helping me out.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 10:22am On Jul 28, 2015
morning, please am looking for a company to do my industrial training (I.T). civil engineering department, at Lagos. will b glad with you helping me out......................
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by vaca1: 10:23am On Jul 28, 2015
nice tips
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Cvesta(m): 10:24am On Jul 28, 2015
Lesson learnt...wish you the best if this turns negative
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by yemobrown(m): 10:47am On Jul 28, 2015
sammhi:
what he wanted from you is simple:
from you, your family members, friends, relations, acquaintances, church members associates etc
next time don't tell your employer you don't have the experience..it shows you don't want the job
My brother, you nailed it. Marketing starts from the known to unknown. Your family, friends and other referrals from converted prospect.
If you're searching for a girlfriend, you first comb your neighborhood before taking the fight outside.

Always think out of the box. Nice talk sammhi.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 28, 2015
sullivans:

brother I remember applying for a sales rep job at jumia, I made the list to the last 8 applicant ...but jumia needed just 7 sales rep.

I was the one dropped from the list, I almost died that day because I have neva been that close to getting employed

that was 2 yrs ago, jumia was gona pay 40k, but thanks to. God Jus few months later I got a job that pays tripple Wat jumia was gona pay

best of all, I didn't even attend an interview for it......

#God no dey sleep .....everybody's time will surely come...don't give up

U too make sense. When it's time,it wil come on a platter of gold. God is faithful

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by clemmonce(m): 11:14am On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.
for sharing this experience with job seekers. you are a good person not wanting others to make the same mistake you made. God bless you

4 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by redcliff: 11:15am On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:

Thanks.

Useless job position. Marketing... 500 accounts a month... smh
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by smartleo(m): 11:25am On Jul 28, 2015
obinna2nv:
Don't be too hard on yourself, its a marketing job after all... Something better is on the horizon, I can feel it in my bones..
Guy what's wrong with a marketing job? Cos I'm sick and tired of hearing this rave of words.I work as a marketer in one international firm in Ibadan and earn my salary in 6digits,so tell me what is the problems so celebrated about marketing if not sheer laziness and youthful exuberance of high expectation of growing a tree from the sky.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:

Thanks.
how much you go pay for ma idea make i give you, and bro marketing idea is not bad it just usually, expected.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by MicroBox: 11:31am On Jul 28, 2015
@OP you don't need any research to answer that question.,. that shows you are not too smart that why he said good day without engaging you further. even if you are not a graduate, you should be able to know that students money is always nothing to write home about. student money is always transfer and withdrawal, so having student has a customer make no difference to any bank. I am not a banker not even a finance person, please my friend learn to be smart and fear no tension during any interview. I went to interview yesterday and I was told that I have being offered the job right in my presence. Conquer fear first before anything.
You left school 4years ago and luckily you are schedule for graduate trainee interview, you are then ask to define/explain Mohr stress cycle.. your smartness would land you the job not your definition.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by lexy2014: 11:33am On Jul 28, 2015
Charism:

Thanks.
Thank your God u didn't get d job. D experience would have been worse
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by mamajaz(f): 11:35am On Jul 28, 2015
sullivans:

brother I remember applying for a sales rep job at jumia, I made the list to the last 8 applicant ...but jumia needed just 7 sales rep.

I was the one dropped from the list, I almost died that day because I have neva been that close to getting employed

that was 2 yrs ago, jumia was gona pay 40k, but thanks to. God Jus few months later I got a job that pays tripple Wat jumia was gona pay

You are blessed for this, a soul saver you are...
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by saintchyco: 11:40am On Jul 28, 2015
Dont worry you will get the job and when you do please clet us know
dont mind
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Booty4me: 11:41am On Jul 28, 2015
my like an experience not lesson
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by stuhporh: 11:44am On Jul 28, 2015
Dont be discouraged, You have said it all, interviews are not meant for you to get it right, its chat session to impress the guy whose job is to make sure you dont get the JOB.

Let me share my experience with you. Some years back out of desperation,i applied for a bank Job. even though i never liked a bank Job, i got tired of my Job because they were paying me 70k, 64k after tax.

Fortunately i was up for the interview, after the test. This same question was asked of me, the difference is that they want to know how i can bring 300 new customers to them every month instead of your own 500.

I smiled shortly with a normal face, i looked at their eyes, showing disappointment, i said to them. If i get you right, you want to know how i can get diamond bank 300 new customers every week? but may i ask how much is the minimum balance of a savings account in diamond bank? (the guy was going to answer and i interrupted him). i said lets say 1000 naira, or 2000 naira times 300 is around 60,000 naira in a month. I could do that, but i didnt know this is what the job was about. I thought i would be given account to ensure i get these customers to put all of their money in it. and make sure they keep coming back.

Am sorry sir, i dont think i have experience in getting diamond bank N60000 every month.

They were quiet for almost 10 sec, and this woman broke silence and said, thank you for your time, we will contact you as per the status of your interview. ( Meanwhile the woman asked me to write my number on a sheet on their desk.
I was contacted and i rejected the Job, my current employer agreed to pay me my salary 4 times more

So you see? say the unusual thing that relates with the job. most times,it works.

Check this, my friend got an interview in tech company in VI,they asked what do you do when the pressure is much but you need to deliver. My friend said he will step out to a smoking area, have a stick or two. by the time he gets back, he would have figured what to do. He said he told them, this doesn't happen every time, its like once in 3 years, coz he normally handles pressure perfectly. it works for him.

He got the godamn JOB.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Samfigo1(m): 11:44am On Jul 28, 2015
sullivans:

Bro... Is it compulsory one reads about Sales/Marketing in d univ. before he could apply for a Job like that?
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 28, 2015
MicroBox:
@OP you don't need any research to answer that question.,. that shows you are not too smart that why he said good day without engaging you further. even if you are not a graduate, you should be able to know that students money is always nothing to write home about. student money is always transfer and withdrawal, so having student has a customer make no difference to any bank. I am not a banker not even a finance person, please my friend learn to be smart and fear no tension during any interview. I went to interview yesterday and I was told that I have being offered the job right in my presence. Conquer fear first before anything.
You left school 4years ago and luckily you are schedule for graduate trainee interview, you are then ask to define/explain Mohr stress cycle.. your smartness would land you the job not your definition.

The question is how do yhu create 500 account in one month not if a student account is something to write home about. The way yhu attack a question matters, they were asking for ideas, a solution not really asking a question.

Lets look at it, student pocket money is nothing to write home about, he targeted the 100l, that plan will fail if his not presenting something else other banks do not present, the sucess of that plan lies in package enough to make the 100l open an account, qnd other students too open an account, leaving there initial bank or account for the present offer. Its simple, capital is capital bro no capital is Negligible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pre Employment Medical Test / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses / Graduate Field Specialist –(baker Hughes Nigeria) 2014 Opportunities - 1324904

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.