Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:06 AM

Foods As Eczema Triggers – The Facts & Myths Explained - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Foods As Eczema Triggers – The Facts & Myths Explained (791 Views)

6 Myths About Hangovers Dispelled. / 6 Myths About Healthy Eating You Shouldn’t Believe / Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Foods As Eczema Triggers – The Facts & Myths Explained by quadness(m): 8:44pm On Jul 28, 2015
Eczema is a skin condition that causes itchy and swollen patches of the skin. It is also called atopic dermatitis and is treated with oral medications, creams and light therapy. I do not want to go into the details of telling you what eczema is if you don’t already know what it is, you would probably not be reading this. I would like to just go straight to the main discussion.

Do Foods Cause Eczema or It is Just A Myth?

I would answer yes in some cases and answer no in some cases, depending on who is asking me this question. Foods can lead to the onset of eczema in some children below the age of 4, but as they grow older eczema as a result of eating foods is very rare.

In adult, there is no scientific backing for claims that some foods cause eczema on the skin. I have not seen one, if you have come across one somewhere, I would be glad if you point me in that direction. I am not saying this could not happen, I know someone that gets eczema after a prolonged period of eating fish and milk. Whenever she stops, the eczema leaves but there is nothing yet implicating foods in the development of eczema.

“Don’t just take his word for it, after all, he just a Food Scientist/Technologist.” I know some people may think or say that but I am not alone on this.

Andrea Cambio MD, FAAD. Cambio is the medical director of Cambio Dermatology in southwest Florida said and I quote;

There is no science linking certain foods with flare-ups. But it can be an individual thing.

For example, if a patient reports eating chocolate makes her eczema worse, then I would advise her to cut down or eliminate chocolate from her diet.

Common Causes of Eczema:

Let me tell you that eczema is often caused by by a lot of external factors which also vary from person to person. Some people have noticed that they get eczema on their arms when they dip it inside water with detergent, some have reported toiletries and perfumes, too much heat and cold, dust and many more.

All you just need to do is be observant and see if any food or external factor causes eczema for you but the challenge is that, we expose ourselves to these these things in combination everyday, making it hard to separate their effects on our skin.

For example, the person that complained about milk and fish could eat both in a day, use toiletries, perfumes, get exposed to dust and detergent all in the same day. In this case, what are you going to blame for the eczema?

cc: lalasticlala , ishilove

Re: Foods As Eczema Triggers – The Facts & Myths Explained by Oyetboy(m): 9:34pm On Jul 28, 2015
frontpage material....
Re: Foods As Eczema Triggers – The Facts & Myths Explained by Wakins(m): 11:17pm On Jul 28, 2015
Observing

(1) (Reply)

How To Prepare Vanilla Ice Cream. / Top 10 Healthy Snacks / How Eating Pizza Almost Daily For 10 Years Helped Saved His Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.