Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? (12019 Views)

Censors Board Raids Alaba Market, Seizes Pirated Films / Three Nollywood Movie Pirates Arrested At Alaba Market [PICS] / Who Is The Best Gladiator With Their Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheFilmmaker: 5:56pm On Sep 06, 2015
Macdove02:
I just need to know what type of movie 400k plus can shoot...And wait, We are talking of Naija movies here...Anyway, As the producer, if u can't write the script definitely you will pay someone to do that. Cameras, costumes, props, Paying Actors, Director(s), Editor. 2million don finish Na

Ok, so what if the script was written by me, I have cameras, I have a clique I 'normally' work with, I have an editing suite, and my story doesn't involve complicated props or elaborate setups eg shooting inside a plane or car crashes...

Ehen...oya answer me

The only issue is if I want to add unnecessary effizies by using cranes and drones or if I decide to shoot with super expensive cameras.

Most camera phones now shoot full HD. So what's the point?

Costume is almost free. Unless you're shooting a period drama (which is not feasible if budget is not on your side)

So...

And oh, before you go on the camera quality tangent, here is a Bentley advert, shot on the iPhone 5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYhM0XIIwU

Almost all Nigerian telecom ads use the most expensive film camera available. Compare and contrast.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 6:10pm On Sep 06, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Ok, so what if the script was written by me, I have cameras, I have a clique I 'normally' work with, I have an editing suite, and my story doesn't involve complicated props or elaborate setups eg shooting inside a plane or car crashes...

Ehen...oya answer me

The only issue is if I want to add unnecessary effizies by using cranes and drones or if I decide to shoot with super expensive cameras.

Costume is almost free. Unless you're shooting a period drama (which is not feasible if budget is not on your side)

So...

And oh, before you go on the camera quality tangent, here is a Bentley advert, shot on the iPhone 5s

Almost all Nigerian telecom ads use the most expensive film camera available. Compare and contrast.
You just said it all...You almost have everything you should be paying for...If you are to hire cameras, and pay for those stuffs, then you know why 400k won't be enough, Wait o, Are all the actors in your clique too, like they did the work for free....If you actually shot a movie with 400k, please do tell me the title, I really need to see it.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheDauraMallam: 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
Macdove02:
You just said it all...You almost have everything you should be paying for...If you are to hire cameras, and pay for those stuffs, then you know why 400k won't be enough, Wait o, Are all the actors in your clique too, like they did the work for free....If you actually shot a movie with 400k, please do tell me the title, I really need to see it.

All actors get different prices. I'm sure you know that. And there is no way you would use Fine Akindele as a 15 year old girl...if that's what your story wants.

The thing is, it's the story that determines budget.

Not otherwise. So that's the difference between Paranormal Activity (15K) and Furious 7 (190 million)

You get it now?

That's film business 101 for you. If Kunle shot October 1st for 2 million dollars as he said, then Titanic or Furious 7 was probably shot with 1 billion dollars.

For perspective, you should see Paranormal Activity first. It's on youtube.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheFilmmaker: 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2015
Macdove02:

I just showed you a Bentley advert shot with iPhone 5s and yet you're asking me to upload A full movie shot with 400,000 budget?

No comment
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

All actors get different prices. I'm sure you know that. And there is no way you would use Fine Akindele as a 15 year old girl...if that's what your story wants.

The thing is, it's the story that determines budget.

Not otherwise. So that's the difference between Paranormal Activity (15K) and Furious 7 (190 million)

You get it now?

That's film business 101 for you. If Kunle shot October 1st for 2 million dollars as he said, then Titanic or Furious 7 was probably shot with 1 billion dollars.

For perspective, you should see Paranormal Activity first. It's on youtube.
I understand you bro.. I even heard of a movie shot with zero budget like they say "Ojuju" and from the buzz and awards I think it's going to be great..That Kunle own Na lie sha...But i so much believe if one need to make a good movie, except you have the stuffs at your disposal like you do... then 400k can't do anything.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 6:59pm On Sep 06, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

I just showed you a Bentley advert shot with iPhone 5s and yet you're asking me to upload A full movie shot with 400,000 budget?

No comment
I thought u said you actually shot a movie with that budget..I just wish to see it.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by kay29000(m): 7:20pm On Sep 06, 2015
Macdove02:
An average Nigerian movie wont cost less than a million naira...Thats even for low budget.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheFilmmaker: 6:18am On Sep 07, 2015
Macdove02:
I thought u said you actually shot a movie with that budget..I just wish to see it.

I wasn't the one that made the comment.

All I'm saying is, if you know your onions well enough, you can shoot a film with 200,000 Naira.

That's the point. Expensive films doesn't mean quality. Unless you're being sponsored by a studio or you're just super rich, it's tantamount to waste, if you don't make money back.

Even Hollywood movies flop.

47 Ronin was shot on a 250 million dollar budget, but only earned about 67 million back. As a beginner filmerker you really don't want to go that route.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by dejahvu(m): 12:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
@TheFilmmaker How do I communicate to you?
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

I wasn't the one that made the comment.

All I'm saying is, if you know your onions well enough, you can shoot a film with 200,000 Naira.

That's the point. Expensive films doesn't mean quality. Unless you're being sponsored by a studio or you're just super rich, it's tantamount to waste, if you don't make money back.

Even Hollywood movies flop.

47 Ronin was shot on a 250 million dollar budget, but only earned about 67 million back. As a beginner filmerker you really don't want to go that route.
Oh, actually thought you were the one....Anyways, Nice talking with you.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by kay29000(m): 4:54pm On Sep 08, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Ehen...oya answer me

So...

Whoa! This is an eye opener. That means I really can achieve my dream of shooting a quality movie with a budget of One Million Naira or less. Men! Thanks for this. I just have to look for the right team. And, my apologies to TheDauraMallam for my ignorance.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by naza9ja(m): 12:38am On Sep 09, 2015
The person that shot a feature film with 425k should show us the movie angry let's see the quality of the production.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Dyoungstar: 11:02am On Sep 09, 2015
Thefilmmaker, you don't have to argue with everyone. A man of your caliber need not dabble into fruitless discussions here on NL given that overtime, all projects initiated or discussed on this forum die a mysterious death and never sees the light of the day. You know na...

Well, I shall be shooting next month... meanwhile, I shot one already.

I am using two stars for this one.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Dyoungstar: 11:12am On Sep 09, 2015
naza9ja:
The person that shot a feature film with 425k should show us the movie angry let's see the quality of the production.

I am not the person that shot with 425k but I shot this one here 'walk to redemption' with 260k and it's for skills testing. Then the short 'unexpected' is just for practicing that my friend and I shot it.

You actually shoot with 400k and flex with the 25k balance if you know your way.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2015
I personally think the Nigerian film industry is cursed by the inability of practitioners to talk to each other meaningfully and listen to each other with the aim of understanding and reasoning together. So, the outcome is a lot of talking and lack of growth. Just as we are talking here and yet not communicating.

The op asked how much do Alaba marketers pay to acquire a film from a producer. So far that question hasn't been answered.

op please don't be in a hurry to gather investors . The business angle isn't stable or structured. You need to understand it before touching people's money so that it doesn't backfire.

8 Likes

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 6:14pm On Sep 09, 2015
naza9ja:
Abi
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheDauraMallam: 9:58pm On Sep 09, 2015
Macdove02:
Abi

Please go ahead and shoot your 200 million naira movie. October 1 is an example.

Thanks. What am I doing here self?
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 10:27pm On Sep 09, 2015
Never vex yet I beg you.
TheDauraMallam:

Please go ahead and shoot your 200 million naira movie. October 1 is an example.

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by kay29000(m): 10:47pm On Sep 09, 2015
nwarosa:
I personally think the Nigerian film industry is cursed by the inability of practitioners to talk to each other meaningfully and listen to each other with the aim of understanding and reasoning together. So, the outcome is a lot of talking and lack of growth. Just as we are talking here and yet not communicating.

The op asked how much do Alaba marketers pay to acquire a film from a producer. So far that question hasn't been answered.

op please don't be in a hurry to gather investors . The business angle isn't stable or structured. You need to understand it before touching people's money so that it doesn't backfire.

Okay. Thanks for this comment.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 1:11pm On Sep 10, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

Mr, you are taking this personal..Guy claimed he shot a movie with 400k plus...All I asked for is the title so I can see it. I may learn one thing or the other.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 4:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
Hi Macdove02,

You are right. There's always something to learn.

By the way, what was your role on Oct 1 production?
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by Macdove02(m): 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
nwarosa:
Hi Macdove02,

You are right. There's always something to learn.

By the way, what was your role on Oct 1 production?
Not a role though...Was with a brother on the location..He helped them scouting for locations and I was extra on some scenes.

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by richcasey: 1:28am On Sep 11, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2422671/nairalanders-short-film

I shot this with no budget.

Zero.

We need to network often for ys to reach greater heights. Currently working on a nairalanders story adapted to screen. About a deaf girl...

Cheers guys

4 Likes

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by kay29000(m): 10:21am On Sep 12, 2015
richcasey:
https://www.nairaland.com/2422671/nairalanders-short-film

I shot this with no budget.

Zero.

We need to network often for ys to reach greater heights. Currently working on a nairalanders story adapted to screen. About a deaf girl...

Cheers guys

Hey! I just watched your short film...It is nice. I like the camera quality. I wish you had dialogue in the movie though, so I can grade you on that angle too. Hey, I don't have a budget, but I would love to work with you. I know we can work something out. Are you a Nigerian? I noticed you said something about shooting the movie in Ghana. Please reply, lets work something out. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 12:42pm On Sep 12, 2015
Nice nice nice
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
@Thefilmmaker I am trying to reach you o. sent u a pm self. holla back
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by TheFilmmaker: 7:39pm On Sep 16, 2015
nwarosa:
@Thefilmmaker I am trying to reach you o. sent u a pm self. holla back

Rather add me on BBM or send me your Whatsapp.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by nwarosa: 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

Rather add me on BBM or send me your Whatsapp.
Added you on bbm. zero eight zero three six eight seven eight seven three two. that's my what's app
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by ceceogelewa(f): 3:47pm On Feb 02, 2016
Hmm I love this, am producing producing a movie cost of 500 know. Like how much can the marketers buy it pls
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by kay29000(m): 8:44pm On Feb 02, 2016
ceceogelewa:
Hmm I love this, am producing producing a movie cost of 500 know. Like how much can the marketers buy it pls

Someone should answer this question, please.
Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by SHOT(m): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2016
The price a marketer decides to buy ur movie depends on d value of ur production in d sight of d marketer, d marketers discretion, d cast u used, ur experience as a producer, d value u attach to ur work n several factors.

So u will get 3 different prices from 3 different marketers.

My advice.....
1.Never sell your film outright to them. Always attach a duration (btw 1 and 3 years) for which dy have d right to sell d movie.
2. Don't limit yourself by selling "all rights" to just a marketer. U can increase ur income by selling broadcast right to dstv n other satellite channels, terrestrial TV stations n even streaming sites.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Does Alaba Pay Movie Producers For Their Movies? by marvelejiro(m): 12:58pm On Feb 07, 2017
kay29000:
Hello guys. I know the norm in the Nigerian movie industry is for a movie producer to shoot a video with a budget of like 5-10 million Naira, and then sell off the movie to Alaba movie marketers, and then go on to the next project, while the Alaba boys use their wide network to get those movies to every corner in Nigeria, and the world at large. So, I want to know how much most movie producers get for each movie, as I want to start up an Indie Movie Company.

Pls, any answers are welcome. Thank you.
Hello. here is my contact,kindly call me if you are serious. lets talk. 07035283708

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daniella Evicted From The Big Brother House / Movies With The Best 'TWISTS'!!! / Nigeria's Karen And Zimbabwe's Wendall Are The Winners Of Big Brother Amplified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.