Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? (13915 Views)

FG Pays 81 Months Pension Arrears / Workers To Access 25% Pension Savings For Mortgage …to Forfeit Lump Sum Payment / How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by veraponpo(m): 3:26pm On Jul 30, 2015
nex:
Millions of Nigerians are heading toward defectively funded retirement, leaving a lot of them cynical about pension plans in the country and how the pension system works because they don’t want to lose their many years of labour to shylocks. Without sufficient income, mostly older adults who eventually rely on pension will lack the resources that enable them to live self-reliantly, access basic health care, and continue to play their roles in the society.

Plenty of workers unquestionably have doubts about these things and that’s obviously why only a fraction of the workforce has a pension plan. While pension plans has kept majority of older adults from sinking into destitution, far too many retirees are having trouble making ends meet.

Before our discussion takes centre stage in planning a successful retirement, we need to comprehend why our retirement is primarily of utmost concern in the first place. This may seem like an inconsequential question, but you might be surprised to learn that the key mechanisms of retirement planning run contrary to common belief about the best way to save for the future. Furthermore, proper enactment of those key mechanisms is essential in ensuring a financially secure retirement. This involves looking at each possible source of retirement income.

Quick Understanding about Pension Plan

A pension is designed to help you fund your retirement and replace the income you are no longer receiving from working. It can fit alongside all your other savings, from bank and building society accounts to property.
Pensions could be one important way to support your retirement. Another may be your home (some people talk about their property as their pension) and another could be all your other savings and investments such as deposit accounts and shares. Your retirement income may come from any combination of these.

But is there really anything to worry about? Is it safe to commit your money to a pension firm and expect to get it back? There’s certainly a lot that people need to know about how pensions work and how safe it is for them to have a pension plan.

First off, we need to be up front about the prospects of the National Pension Commission (PenCom) set up by the government to oversee all pension firms in the country. Their job is to make sure your money is secure with the pension firm you choose and that your business with the firm keeps moving smoothly. So if anything happens, the commission is empowered to step in and sort it out for you so you never get to lose a single naira.

Besides, people who think their pension firm will divert their pension need to know that pension firms don’t spend the money or use it for private purposes. By saving your pension or maintaining a pension plan, through your custodian, you’re able to put your money in a range of investments, such as the stock market, commercial property, bonds, and funds. The range of investments will depend on the scheme; you’ll even have some more money than what you’ve put in over the years.

When your employer deducts some of your salary as pension, they pay this money to a pension fund custodian. This custodian company then notifies the pension firm that you’re registered with. Then your pension firm updates your accounts with them and there are no stories. So even if your pension firm ever goes under (which is really improbable), your money is safe with the custodian.

Additionally, every pension firm is mandated by law to maintain a statutory reserve fund that they mustn’t take from at any time. It’s with this money they get to meet up if the PenCom steps in and asks them to pay up pensions that are due.

Even at that, there are people who think the government might take from their pension money. But of course the government doesn’t involve itself in the affairs of the pension firms and certainly won’t have access to your pension. The PenCom is the only government body that’s involved here and they only regulate and make sure your money is safe. They don’t take your money. They make sure nobody takes your money.

You can start taking from your retirement savings when you retire or when you’re 50 years old depending on your agreement with your employer. So normally a pension plan is basically like a savings account where you get to keep your money over time and then take from it later. But with your pension you normally can’t take from it until your retirement. This makes sure you don’t eat into your savings and jeopardise your own retirement.

But the good part of having a pension plan is that you could actually get up to a quarter of your pension right now if you ever lose your job and can’t get another one within four months. So you can get by with some of your money until you get back on your feet, and if you have to pay for healthcare or if your daughter’s university tuition is due while you’re between jobs for instance, your money will be readily available to you.

What’s also good is that your pension firm won’t just collect your savings and keep you in the dark. They’ll be in touch with you and send you regular updates about your account and how well the investments they making on it for you is doing. So at every point you’ll know how much you have in there to keep you assured that your money is safe. This is actually the way it works.

Even more disconcerting is the fact that the poverty rate among older adults in Nigeria is alarming, one of the highest among less developed countries. The major reason so many older Nigerians become poor when they retire is the lack of proper pension plan to complement our retirement.

Another reason is that, a lot of employers don’t get a pension plan for their employees and these employees don’t bother to seek out a good one because of their scepticism. But really it’s very important for Nigerians to think about the future and personally get a pension plan where they can put aside something for the future, so they can have something solid to fall back on when they retire.

Without your own savings to add to the mix, you’ll find it difficult, if not impossible, to enjoy much beyond the minimum standard of living when old age comes knocking. This situation can quickly become alarming if your health takes a turn for the worse.

Unforseen things happen all the time and without a backup it can be especially difficult coping with these circumstances when they happen. For instance, people have had their entire business wiped out by a fire
and have had to start from scratch at an old age.

Old age typically brings medical problems and increased healthcare expenses. Without your own nest egg, living out your golden years in comfort while also covering your medical expenses may turn out to be a burden too large to bear – especially if your health (or that of your loved ones) starts to deteriorate.

This is a completely avoidable situation, and it’s important for the Nigerian people to take the right step as they move onto the future.

SOURCE: http://www.barbaric.com.ng/how-safe-is-it-to-have-a-pension-plan-in-nigeria

This is a good topic and I expect a number of people to flood here with questions as it boarders on the future and wellbeing of the majority but the response is very poor.

The area of concern that I have is the link between Pension Scheme and other investments plans like NHS scheme- Housing Scheme, NHIS- Health Scheme, etc? Are they also immune to extinction just like Pension Scheme? what is your view to other plans like Children Education Plan of say 15 years time for University , etc?
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by just2endowed: 3:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
kaeforum:

The only pension plan that works is a personal pension plan, govt funded programmes dont work, history has shown that govt at the end of the day draws down on these funds leaving the pensioners with nothing after somany years of saving.

Look at case of Kogi state govt that embezzled pension funds of its workers. The guys in power were mere brats when these funds were created.
Imagine having your savings wiped out because some reckless brat in power.
Wars inflation and indebteness can make govt to enact laws to seize pension funds.

Personal pension plans is the best , as this is one personal duty. cheesy

LOOKING AT GREEK ECONOMY TOO. the govt of greece has seize and cut from pension fund
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
kennyman2000:

Am not scaring you Madam. its a public. Atimes, the old man would just shed tears while lamenting of how his pension funds was deducted easily, but to collect was wahala.. dont wanna remember the scenario again jooor..

I just thank God. one of his child is averagely well to do. He's the one who asked the old man to forget it as the issue has started affecting the old man BP.

So bad.
I asked because I felt it would probably be difficult for public servants to get theirs, due to the unnecessary red tapism common in public sectors.

I wish we had a choice, but it's not up to us.
The best retirement plan remains investments. All the same, pension plan is a necessary evil.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2015
The best ways to keep track on your pension contributions is to always request your payslips from your employer every month.You should also keep them for future reference.If a particular amount is deducted from your salary as pension contribution,your employer contribute same into your pension account.Always make sure your employer remit your contributions to your pension fund administration.I had a personal experience with my former employer.Money was deducted from my salaries and wasn't remitted to my pfa. I later discovered after I visited my pfa,with my payslips, I was able to recover all the money.This was after I had left the company.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 3:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
The best pension is investment..government pension is not reliable at all...invest first in your children,then landed properties and others can follow!!
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:43pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sagamite:
Very useless article by Najeeb Bello.

One would expect anyone smart enough to have investigated and reported on how pension funds appreciate in value and how much commission is being paid to fund managers.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that the article was a typical Nigerian journalist's Countryman Analysis angry
Is this fellow an actual finance journalist?

We are interested in knowing how the fund has grown, what the NPV of the 75% invested in FG securities and instruments is as at today, and what the other 25% is being invested in. All regular boring old financial stuff.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by AroOkigbo(m): 3:45pm On Jul 30, 2015
dicefrost:
What happens if the person dies before retirement?
His people will bury him.
Or is there any other thing you want to hear?

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
Trying to withdraw at least %25 from your pension account is like extracting blood from stone.You will waste your personal money in processing one document or the other.You will also need to produce a letter from your former employer,asking if your pension has been contributed up to date.You will also go to your bank to get a statement of account. Money will also be spent.I spent quarter of the amount I wanted to withdraw from my pension contribution. It's not that the pension is even worth it. It is time and financial consuming.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

are you for real?
You are scaring me... shocked

Where did the man(RIP to him) work, private/public?
Don't you see retirees from public services protesting over the non payment of their arrears?I had a bad experience with my former employer in the private sector too.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by fpeter(f): 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2015
kennyman2000:
i will never advise anyone to subscribe to it.. Having seen what my friend dad's went through before he died. its one story or the other.

His children couldnt claim the funds as well, as the stress and document upon document wahala was frustrating. They had to let go, not until when i stumbled on this thread. Thats when i wept for Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/1489204/how-pension-managers-cheating-nigerians

check my signature for ur customised wristband.

If your friend's dad had a pension plan and well documented contributions then i see no reason why his family will not be able to access
his death benefit upon his demise. Did he name a next of kin? I work with a Pension Fund Administrator and i can tell you categorically that
it is safe to have a retirement plan in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by fpeter(f): 4:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
dicefrost:
What happens if the person dies before retirement?

If the employee dies before the age of 50 or retirement age as stipulated by the laws of our country
then his NOK would be given the benefit. But he/she must turn up with the necessary documents.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by congi(m): 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2015
fpeter:

If the employee dies before the age of 50 or retirement age as stipulated by the laws of our country
then his NOK would be given the benefit. But he/she must turn up with the necessary documents.
What are the required documents please for one's NOK to access the fund in the event of death? What documents are required to access the funds in the likelihood of job loss?
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2015
otunsman:
Don't you see retirees from public services protesting over the non payment of their arrears?I had a bad experience with my former employer in the private sector too.

I do see them na. I always wondered if the problem was from the institution(s) they worked in or the Pension Fund Administrators.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by matiandu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2015
As for me, my cash is always inside my kolo were I can still withdraw it with an ATM card. grin
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Miranda11: 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2015
ADVICE PLEASE: What happens in a situation where your employer makes the deduction from your salary and does not remit these deductions into your pension fund, what are the employees rights and what is the best way to resolve this? I know of someone who has this problem and it has been going on for over a year now, no reasonable explanations have been given for this by the employer
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nigga44: 4:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
I will never advice anyone to open a pension fund cos I witnessed how my uncle suffered just to withdraw his funds sad

After he died, his children were asked to get one letter(letter of administration, I think). The said letter from what I heard could take up to 7 years to get in Nigeria. And it still doesn't guarantee the payment of the funds after all the hassle.

Pension fund is just a big scam in Nigeria. The younger workers in these companies may not know, but the administrators do.

For me the best pension in Nigeria is investment in real estate. Buy a cheap GENUINE land and watch the value grow over time. You can never go wrong here.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by kennyman2000(m): 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2015
fpeter:

If your friend's dad had a pension plan and well documented contributions then i see no reason why his family will not be able to access
his death benefit upon his demise. Did he name a next of kin? I work with a Pension Fund Administrator and i can tell you categorically that
it is safe to have a retirement plan in Nigeria.

Madam, forget all those well documented plan matter.. ''That one no follow joor''

since u're a staff of pension fund administrator. U ought to defend ur job naaaw..

Whichever way, lets leave matter for mathias.

Take care.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
Most people wish to own a land but lack the zeal and determination to acquire a property, probably because they are threatened by the activities of “Omonile” and fraudulent realtors. Why not partner with BARIFEC REALTIES LIMITED and get as much property you desire with full indemnity to your land.

BARIFEC REALTIES LIMITED has commenced a promotional offer at Grace Park And Gardens (one of its estate at Mowe-Ofada). Grace Park And Gardens is situated at Orilemo area of Obafemi Owode Local Govt,. It’s located in a blend of residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural activities. Grace Park And Gardens boast of a community that thrives greatly in huge economic, financial and industrial services.

The estate is Located within the environment of numerous Estates, Football Academy, Construction Company, Nestle plc, Chrisland Millenium University, and many more

The Benefits of the Scheme:
• Liberation from the canker worm of the ‘Omo oniles’
• No issue of fictitious Vendors
• Flexible Payment Plan
• Fast land appreciation for speculators
• No agency fees required.
• Burden of procuring C of O is completely removed.

Infrastructure to be provided within the estate:
• Perimeter Fencing
• Ultra-modern borehole
• Good Drainage system
• Sewage disposal system
• Electricity
• Recreational facilities
• Environmental Security
• Good Road Network, etc.

Title on the Land: Land purchase agreement / irrevocable power of attorney donated by the customary owners, Survey and Layout plan, and a Global C/O .

PAYMENT PLAN FOR A PLOT:
Plots of land are now selling at a promotional offer of #550,000 on outright purchase. There’s a flexible option of spreading the payment at the rate of #50,000 monthly installment plan for a period of 14months @ #700,000, or you can choose the option of #30,000 monthly installment plan for a period of 25months @ #750,000 or the easy option of #25,000 monthly installment plan for a period of 30months @ #750,000.

Contact Demola @ BARIFEC REALTIES LIMITED: 51, Church street Oshodi. Lagos
Mobile: 08120624703, 08066276704.

The future is cheap if only you buy into it now.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 30, 2015
And to add to that also, its advisable for retirees to go for Annuity plan rather than programmed withdrawal. Annuity plan is a retirement plan which pays retirees for life till death while programmed withdrawal pays for only 10 yrs. And most times d first pays more than the later. Most people don't know about this, I just got to know also. So if u have those planning to retiree or already retired, advice them to go in for the Annuity plan with the insurance firms like Leadway or contact me for more info.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Okwutex3(m): 5:59pm On Jul 30, 2015
Having a pension account is very safe and easy to access now in Nigeria after Pensions Reform Acts(2004 and 2014 as amended). PFAs are strongly regulated by PENCOM and Life Insurance firm for Annuity options is strongly regulated by NAICOM. All those having one problem or the other with Pensions should meet their PFAs wit their neccessary documents and I can assure u it would be resolved.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by galantjoe(m): 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2015
this is topical issue. but because pension was like civil service programme until 2004 when obj govt enact pension reform act 2004 introducing new system of pension-contributory pension scheme where both employee and employer contribute to the employee retirement savings account manege by pension fund admin and the fund is kept with pension fund custodians. unlike old system. pension is funded regularly through contribution. while old system is not funded but expensed at the time of employee retirement thus subject to whims of the govt and availability of money.
almost all states and some govt agencies are still in old system thereby making failing to pay those entitled to pension.
contribution pension system cannot fail to pay the pension or its NOK becuase is like ur bank savings and there strong regulations guiding it.
pension is very good investment agains old age.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by jibbish(m): 7:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
Miranda11:
ADVICE PLEASE: What happens in a situation where your employer makes the deduction from your salary and does not remit these deductions into your pension fund, what are the employees rights and what is the best way to resolve this? I know of someone who has this problem and it has been going on for over a year now, no reasonable explanations have been given for this by the employer
Ur pension fund administrator takes the blame. They are to make sure that the company plays its part as u play urs
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by jibbish(m): 7:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
Nigga44:
I will never advice anyone to open a pension fund cos I witnessed how my uncle suffered just to withdraw his funds sad

After he died, his children were asked to get one letter(letter of administration, I think). The said letter from what I heard could take up to 7 years to get in Nigeria. And it still doesn't guarantee the payment of the funds after all the hassle.

Pension fund is just a big scam in Nigeria. The younger workers in these companies may not know, but the administrators do.

For me the best pension in Nigeria is investment in real estate. Buy a cheap GENUINE land and watch the value grow over time. You can never go wrong here.
That u had a rough experience does mean pension fund is wrong. I helped my uncle's wife to apply for her pension fund and she got it, meanwhile am not her next of kin.
Stop spreading hate messages because of ur experience.

2 Likes

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
AjanleKoko:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that the article was a typical Nigerian journalist's Countryman Analysis angry
Is this fellow an actual finance journalist?

We are interested in knowing how the fund has grown, what the NPV of the 75% invested in FG securities and instruments is as at today, and what the other 25% is being invested in. All regular boring old financial stuff.

Abi o!

Before I clicked on the link, all I was interested in was the financials because I know I have read somewhere before that most Nigerian pensions lose value by the time of maturity (if that is the word used in that sector).

By the time one looks at the interests accummulated and inflation rates, the NPV of the average Nigerian pension fund would be at a negative by the time the retiree needs it.

If he even had more brains that the basic needed to write this article (which he obviously does not have), he would have investigated the reaction and policies of the government to regulate pension fund managers so that they stop losing people's money while still being paid (probably very well).

I did not even read the article, just scanned through for the financials I was interested in and when it was not there, I knew another quack calling himself journalist wrote the junk.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by masqot(m): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
Pension administration in Nigeria has a lot of loopholes. Everything looks rossy with the Pension Reform Act 2014 but the future is bleak if these loopholes are not blocked. Evolvement of PenCom was kick-started and pension fund is growing. However, is the administration growing?
My advise is that people should consciously plan foe their retirement for this is an important aspect of a man's financial plan in order to avoid crisis in the future.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by bookkeepers: 11:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
vitality22:

What is the guarantee period of annuity please?
And at the death of the owner of the annuity account after the guarantee period, what happens to the next of kin?
Am waiting for your reply please
I won't advice any1 to take up an annuity. I once witnessed a situation where at the death of a retiree, her children were paid less than the balance on the annuity. The balance was 5m, they paid them 3.7m. A pension fund administrator will pay the full sum at death. The kids felt cheated.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 31, 2015
kennyman2000:
i will never advise anyone to subscribe to it.. Having seen what my friend dad's went through before he died. its one story or the other.

His children couldnt claim the funds as well, as the stress and document upon document wahala was frustrating. They had to let go, not until when i stumbled on this thread. Thats when i wept for Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/1489204/how-pension-managers-cheating-nigerians

check my signature for ur customised wristband.
that's quite unfortunate but it doesn't mean everybody will go thru that. Once again, as we can see...the era of CHANGE is here, the battle-line is drawn and its a war between the FG and currupt civilians. Don't think this fight will stop here because even if the next person comes in, the fight continues. we have good Lawyers now in Nigeria who will also be readily availble.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by fpeter(f): 8:43am On Jul 31, 2015
congi:

What are the required documents please for one's NOK to access the fund in the event of death? What documents are required to access the funds in the likelihood of job loss?

The NOK is required to present the Death Certificate of the deceased relative, Bank confirmation, valid ID,letter of admin...if the account was private funded.

But if it was funded by PENCOM then the NOK will be required to present the June 2004 payslip and last payslip before his death.

If it is for Job loss, the individual will be mandated to present his disengagement letter,Affidavit of fact,Age declaration,Remittance letter from the employer.

basically there are several forms given to you by the PFA and you will be guided on the required documents to provide. It also varies from PFA to PFA.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by coolkaboom(m): 9:27am On Jul 31, 2015
kamez:
having a pension plan in NIgeria is a total waste of time. and I'm speaking from experience .

my mum retired as a senior lecturer and HOD of French dept in a federal university in the east in 2010.
she actually opened a pension fund in 1993.

after she retired, she kept on travelling with documents up and down just to get her pension from FBN until she died in 2013.

up till now we ve not received a dime from this same people even after submitting all the documents.

almost 10 million naira just disappeared with the wind.

my advice: invest ur pension savings into real estate. instead of the yeye pension. fund
its not possible, PFAs didn't come on stream till after the PRA in 2004. Its likely u don't hav all d facts or u r just being mischevious.
Re: How Safe Is It To Have A Pension Plan In Nigeria? by coolkaboom(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2015
jibbish:

Ur pension fund administrator takes the blame. They are to make sure that the company plays its part as u play urs
u r very wrong. At best, d individual staff members r responsible for allowing their employer short-change them by a conspiracy of silence / cooperation. When u get ur statement and it reveals short-funding / nil funding..never keep quiet. There are enough remote discrete whistle-blowing channels for escalating dubious HR/admin managers who surpress remittances. Its ur money and ur future, take active control and guard it zealously.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Any Review On Cflead. Got Msg From Them For An Interview On Monday. / What Do You Tell Your Current Employer If You Want To Go For Interview Elsewhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.