Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Sexy Igbo Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sexy Igbo Names (46531 Views)

Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations / Are There Igbo Names In The South East Not Understood By All South Easterners? / Western Blacks with Igbo Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 2:00am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

It's so bloody annoying. And when people back home ask why you don't speak your parents will join them to laugh at you. cry As if they are not to blame. Meanwhile I've noticed that this is much more common among Igbos than Yorubas. They seem to almost always teach their kids their language. Odd that we don't.

And you and Gurgle are going to change that in the next generation. You can do it. *Cheering from the sidelines*

3 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 2:01am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

I always get so weirded out when Enugu indigenes name their kids Arinze. Like why would they do that when they're not from there. I guess the name is now becoming universal? Cause I know some people from Enugu who did that.

Well Enugu used to be a part of Anambra (they are neighbours) so I guess some Enugu people are from the same language cluster as those from present-Anambra state. along the anambra-enugu border

Igboland and the whole of Nigeria are culturally continuous, all these states are just artificial divisions

Unless youre talking about people from the heart of Nsukka naming their kids Arinze. Heck-no grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 2:01am On Jul 30, 2015
Phut:

And you and Gurgle are going to change that in the next generation. You can do it. *Cheering from the sidelines*

Lol thank you so much. Finally some encouragement! wink
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 30, 2015
Phut:

He is awesome, isn't he? Do you know another group that I like? Desperate Chicks. Although they have disbanded. They speak a dialect that is kind of deep, but the thing sweet die. I have to listen to them a couple of times before I can fully grasp what they are saying. Have you heard of them? One of the group members is now a solo act. Her stage name is Stormrex.
So Stormrex had a group? I never knew o. This is why I love nairaland wow I must go find some songs. Yeah her accent is kinda thick, a very particular kind. Pleasing to hear. And she's on Phyno's record label. Actually I love Phyno so much (if it wasn't obvious) it was him that even kinda gave me this like feverish desire to learn Igbo (from listening to Parcel, that beat is madttttt) His voice sweet dieeeee like his Igbo is so damn sexy and I don't usually say things like that and yes I am biased but angry the boy is really making us proud.

6 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 2:13am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

So Stormrex had a group? I never knew o. This is why I love nairaland wow I must go find some songs. Yeah her accent is kinda thick, a very particular kind. Pleasing to hear. And she's on Phyno's record label. Actually I love Phyno so much (if it wasn't obvious) it was him that even kinda gave me this like feverish desire to learn Igbo (from listening to Parcel, that beat is madttttt) His voice sweet dieeeee like his Igbo is so damn sexy and I don't usually say things like that and yes I am biased but angry the boy is really making us proud.

Yes. They had an album. The 3 girls graduated from the same University, I think.

Okpomekwe was one of their hits. Its on Youtube.

Also search Nwa Aba by Ruff coin. You go laugh so te.

30 40 also by Ruff coin featuring Phyno
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 2:15am On Jul 30, 2015
Phut, Olanna is nice-sounding, no doubt, but to qualify as acceptable for sexiness, probably not. Now, if it were simply Ola by itself, then I'd might think about it. And place-names were often times once people names and vice versa, no? So no wahala. Alaoma can be the name of a place, but still, I wouldn't mind being pointed in the direction of a beautiful girl answering that same name.

Gurgle, I have no clue what Arinze means, but aesthetically, the way it looks and sounds would qualify it for sexiness.

Nnye Anyi (Our Wife) MrsPhyno, relax. I'm just having fun. No insult intended. Chinazor is a decent-sounding name, but I still don't find it sexy.

As I see it, a number of qualities must be present to attain sexiness. Here they are, in no particular order:

Authenticity: It could be the same name, and you may have seen a variant of it several times, but the way the name is structured in this particular instance has some immediate appeal. This quality includes aspects like pronunciation.

Repetition: Have you seen the name more than enough times in your lifetime to lose count? If so, then you can skip it. It's probably lost its appeal (not a hard and fast rule.. there can be exceptions).

Tone: The falling tones in Igbo seem to add some piai; a sort of aesthetic exquisiteness to words. We see it in so many names, I probably shouldn't even have to give examples. A well-placed falling tone can go a long way.

Meaning: This is probably the strangest quality. It has no inherent relationship with aesthetics and readability, but it can make or break a name.

2 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 30, 2015
Phut:

Yes I have. Its: Ka anyi je be Enugu.

Other recommendations for you: Have you listened to Illbliss: Bank alerts and Nara Ekene? Youtube it.
Also do you know Mista Chivagu? Watch his video for "Nganga" and "I done change hand." I believe you will enjoy them and also learn something grin

@ Resident expert (Radoillo) What dialect does Stormrex sing in?

I'm now feeling fly cause I know all these songs o. coolI have that Illbliss song as 'Naalu Ekele'. Have you heard of Zoro aka Swagbag. He has this song 042. Amazing!! And ofc we all know Flavour Nabania and Bracket. I'm so feeling Eastern music these days. A temporary favourite is Slowdogg 'Aka Gi' which I think means something about hands or clapping.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 2:24am On Jul 30, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Phut, Olanna is nice-sounding, no doubt, but to qualify as acceptable for sexiness, probably not. Now, if it were simply Ola by itself, then I'd might think about it. And place-names were often times once people names and vice versa, no? So no wahala. Alaoma can be the name of a place, but still, I wouldn't mind being pointed in the direction of a beautiful girl answering that same name.

Gurgle, I have no clue what Arinze means, but aesthetically, the way it looks and sounds would qualify it for sexiness.

Nnye Anyi (Our Wife) MrsPhyno, relax. I'm just having fun. No insult intended. Chinazor is a decent-sounding name, but I still don't find it sexy.

As I see it, a number of qualities must be present to attain sexiness. Here they are, in no particular order:

Authenticity: It could be the same name, and you may have seen a variant of it several times, but the way the name is structured in this particular instance has some immediate appeal. This quality includes aspects like pronunciation.

Repetition: Have you seen the name more than enough times in your lifetime to lose count? If so, then you can skip it. It's probably lost its appeal (not a hard and fast rule.. there can be exceptions).

Tone: The falling tones in Igbo seem to add some piai; a sort of aesthetic exquisiteness to words. We see it in so many names, I probably shouldn't even have to give examples. A well-placed falling tone can go a long way.

Meaning: This is probably the strangest quality. It has no inherent relationship with aesthetics and readability, but it can make or break a name.

Ok I just googled it. Arinze (chukwu)- If not for the grace of God

Can you please give some examples of your later points? They are quite abstract
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 2:30am On Jul 30, 2015
@ ChinenyeN: I kind of get what you are saying. But the falling tone part, I dont understand
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 30, 2015
igboboy3:
Kambilinudo - - Let me live in peace

That is for my first daughter . . .if my future wife will agree o!
Oga you are wicked
The name is pretty but the meaning no be here o
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 2:37am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

I'm now feeling fly cause I know all these songs o. coolI have that Illbliss song as 'Naalu Ekele'. Have you heard of Zoro aka Swagbag. He has this song 042. Amazing!! And ofc we all know Flavour Nabania and Bracket. I'm so feeling Eastern music these days. A temporary favourite is Slowdogg 'Aka Gi' which I think means something about hands or clapping.

I don't know Zoro, but will check him out.

What are your best songs on Phyno's album?
I like everything but especially like " I chago kwa anya"

I chago kwa anya? Bia nwanne, I chago kwa anya? I se go kwa ife? This song is so seductively, good. It makes you go momentarily "hmmm!" at the thought of weed. And this is for someone who has never even as much as taken a puff of a cigarette. In fact, when I walk behind people that are smoking, I fan the smoke away with my hands. That is how good Phyno is cheesy

I also love "Ghost mode"

Also "Anam achi ife mu yi bu Versace."

"Ana'm achikwanu, I furu ukwu eze'm". A chorus he did for Illbliss.

You should open a thread dedicated to Phyno and his genius, lyrics
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 30, 2015
@ ChinenyeN I'm calm I think my really lame dry humour doesn't translate well over the internet. That our wife thing is so cute I love it haha. I agree with your list sha, most especially with the repetition thing. I think most of the names I listed are too common, but then again those are the only kinds I know cry Some meanings of names can make you almost faint they're like unbelievable. You begin to wonder who would name their kid something like Madufo?
Please continue to enlighten me.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:00am On Jul 30, 2015
Gurgle:

Well Enugu used to be a part of Anambra (they are neighbours) so I guess some Enugu people are from the same language cluster as those from present-Anambra state. along the anambra-enugu border

Igboland and the whole of Nigeria are culturally continuous, all these states are just artificial divisions

Unless youre talking about people from the heart of Nsukka naming their kids Arinze. Heck-no grin grin
@bolded: Funny enough I've met somebody like that. But he's a bit cosmopolitanized, he's based abroad so I guess he doesn't care. Still bothers me tho.
I'm this kinda hypocritical person, cause I love this 'One Igbo' mentality meanwhile I also love to hear about the stereotypes of different Igbo groups based on state and even village self. Good, bad and ugly. It just interests me so much especially when people talk about my side.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 3:02am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

@bolded: Funny enough I've met somebody like that. But he's a bit cosmopolitanized, he's based abroad so I guess he doesn't care. Still bothers me tho.
I'm this kinda hypocritical person, cause I love this 'One Igbo' mentality meanwhile I also love to hear about the stereotypes of different Igbo groups based on state and even village self. Good, bad and ugly. It just interests me so much especially when people talk about my side.

Lol based abroad. so when he comes back then what? unless his wife is from anambra/anambraish enugu?

Yesss that is my exact interest. I love finding out the individual characteristics/stereotypes of each clan, its truly amazing how different we all are.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 3:07am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

I don't think you are hypocritical. Take me for example, I am not that big on centralization of the language. I think what we need to do as a people, is to stop being lazy and to learn as many dialects of Igbo as possible. There are certain words for things that are only available in one dialect and not the other. If we learn as many dialects, it would help to preserve the richness of the language. But centralization leads to a killing off.

5 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 3:09am On Jul 30, 2015
Phut:

I don't think you are hypocritical. Take me for example, I am not that big on centralization of the language. I think what we need to do as a people, is to stop being lazy and to learn as many dialects of Igbo as possible. There are certain words for things that are only available in one dialect and not the other. If we learn as many dialects, it would help to preserve the richness of the language. But centralization leads to a killing off.

Yeah that's exactly what I have been arguing. Our individual dialects are dying out, its so bad.

The last person I said that to was arguing for central Igbo, but that is probably because he is from Owerri, where half of CI words come from anyway! angry grin
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:14am On Jul 30, 2015
Gurgle, they're abstract for a reason (sexiness is subjective). So I focused on the most common aspects that would likely define how a person immediately responds to a new Igbo name.

Phut, the falling tone part is about the melodic nature of the language. Names that effectively capitalize on that melodic nature can climb their way up the sexiness ladder. Most Igbo wouldn't immediately understand the tone aspect, since they're so familiar with tonality that they will often take it for granted.

Here are examples of what I mean by the four qualities.

Authenticity: Instead of coming across any of the multiple (seemingly overused) Chi-variations, you come across an Aku, and it happens to be a guy.

Repetition: Obinna (example of bad repitition.. heard it so many times, you probably have a male cousin or two who bears the name) Obioma (example of good repetition.. you may know a guy one or two or three guys who bears or none at all, so it's fresh. Then you meet a girl who bears it and its even fresher).

Tone: Chioma is a good sounding name and has a decent melody to it, but it falls behind when compared to Adaku.

Meaning: This is probably the most subjective of all. Someone could see a name like Egwema and love it for the meaning thereby loving the name, and another person will look at that same name and say 'huh?'. So, this one is on a person-by-person basis, but still significant enough that it should probably be noted.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 30, 2015
@Phut
That song, Kush Musik, very on point and so catchy. If you guys get me talking about Phyno we won't just sleep this night. My favourite song on that album, in as much as I'm a big rap fan, is Ojigi. That song choiiii I don't know what it is about the song I just love it. It's just his voice, singing the whole time. No rap. And still the song is perfect. Couldn't find any lyrics or translations but I was told 'ojigi' means it's/he's holding you or something like that. And that he's just toasting a girl in street lingo.
Icholiya is also so good like he says really dirty things in the most appealing way lol. And of course Alobam. Phyno wrecked the whole naija with that song.
Runtown on Anamachi Versace! He killed it. Nme Nme is like the Igbo ballers song. Just spraying of money cool
The most painful part for me be say I no understand everything wey him talk so I just follow the beat and a few words I grab. And it's almost a crime to not understand his lyrics. Cause they're genius like you said. I want so bad to open a thread like that but you guys must come and help me out cause me self wan find translator. So I can finally understand that my favourite ojigi I swear that will be my wedding song cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:21am On Jul 30, 2015
Nnaa,nekwonu Ala Ngwa....lol
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 30, 2015
chigoizie7:
Woow, nice thread.

How about
*chisom

*nneka

*adaora

*zikora. (Ziko for short)

*chigozie (gozie for short)

*Chidozie (dozie for short)

*chibuikem (chibyk for short)

*chidubem (dubem for short)

*olamma (ola or mma for short)

*olaedo. (Ola for short)

*chiamaka (amaka for short)

*chimamanda (Amanda for short)

*ogonna (ogoo for short)

*chidera (deraa for short)

*okechukwu (okey for short)

Only but few, there are many other nice igbo names
And my name dey this list sha. Wow I'm comforted I thought my name was dry and dull
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 3:23am On Jul 30, 2015
gabazin080:
What of okudiri .
Nothing wey pesin no go read for nairaland. See names like Chinese people

JEaalousy grin and your own name, what does it sound like
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 3:25am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:
@Phut
That song, Kush Musik, very on point and so catchy. If you guys get me talking about Phyno we won't just sleep this night. My favourite song on that album, in as much as I'm a big rap fan, is Ojigi. That song choiiii I don't know what it is about the song I just love it. It's just his voice, singing the whole time. No rap. And still the song is perfect. Couldn't find any lyrics or translations but I was told 'ojigi' means it's/he's holding you or something like that. And that he's just toasting a girl in street lingo.
Icholiya is also so good like he says really dirty things in the most appealing way lol. And of course Alobam. Phyno wrecked the whole naija with that song.
Runtown on Anamachi Versace! He killed it. Nme Nme is like the Igbo ballers song. Just spraying of money cool
The most painful part for me be say I no understand everything wey him talk so I just follow the beat and a few words I grab. And it's almost a crime to not understand his lyrics. Cause they're genius like you said. I want so bad to open a thread like that but you guys must come and help me out cause me self wan find translator. So I can finally understand that my favourite ojigi I swear that will be my wedding song cheesy

More reason why you should open the thread. If you mess up the Igbo lyrics a bit, we go correct you ... translate am join.

Anyi so yi na azu - We dey follow you for back

1 Like

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Phut(f): 3:27am On Jul 30, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Gurgle, they're abstract for a reason (sexiness is subjective). So I focused on the most common aspects that would likely define how a person immediately responds to a new Igbo name.

Phut, the falling tone part is about the melodic nature of the language. Names that effectively capitalize on that melodic nature can climb their way up the sexiness ladder. Most Igbo wouldn't immediately understand the tone aspect, since they're so familiar with tonality that they will often take it for granted.

Here are examples of what I mean by the four qualities.

Authenticity: Instead of coming across any of the multiple (seemingly overused) Chi-variations, you come across an Aku, and it happens to be a guy.

Repetition: Obinna (example of bad repitition.. heard it so many times, you probably have a male cousin or two who bears the name) Obioma (example of good repetition.. you may know a guy one or two or three guys who bears or none at all, so it's fresh. Then you meet a girl who bears it and its even fresher).

Tone: Chioma is a good sounding name and has a decent melody to it, but it falls behind when compared to Adaku.

What do you think of Odera?

Meaning: This is probably the most subjective of all. Someone could see a name like Egwema and love it for the meaning thereby loving the name, and another person will look at that same name and say 'huh?'. So, this one is on a person-by-person basis, but still significant enough that it should probably be noted.

What do you think of Odera?
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by chigoizie7(m): 3:31am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

And my name dey this list sha. Wow I'm comforted I thought my name was dry and dull

Which of em?
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 30, 2015
Gurgle:

Lol based abroad. so when he comes back then what? unless his wife is from anambra/anambraish enugu?

Yesss that is my exact interest. I love finding out the individual characteristics/stereotypes of each clan, its truly amazing how different we all are.
Don't mind the silly man. I'm sure he looked it up on babynames.com grin
Igbo people too like to discard their culture sha. Not because of lack of pride but I guess because we assimilate really well. We always learn the languages of our "hosts" (wrong word choice but you get my point) whether nah Yoruba in Lagos or even Japanese in Japan shocked
Igbo people no send. We learn the language, marry the women and some even raise their children in that new culture. This ability to get along so well everywhere (learn the language, learn how to deal with the people, make money cool) is both like our strong spot and our weak spot. We're a very individualistic culture, which I love and admire. But at times I do like that feeling of unity and community which are things we seem to not feel are as important, as opposed to other cultures who seem to regard acting as one unified body as the most important thing. Wow hope that made any sense at all.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:34am On Jul 30, 2015
Anyway,these are names that I think can be sex....ife nwanu.
Oziolisa.
Ositadinma....Osy.
Nkemdilim...Nkem
Obiora.
Zikora.
Isioma.
Afoma.
Nonyelum..... grin grin
Amaka
Amalachukwu...Amala
Ojiugo...ancient name given to light skin females.
Oluchi/Oluchukwu.
Onyinye.
Ujunwa.
Ifedioramma.
Nulia.
Obialinamma.
Amulunanma.
Ifeatu.
Makuo....embrace.

3 Likes

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:34am On Jul 30, 2015
chigoizie7:

Which of em?
Haha I can't say. People may know me o.
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 3:41am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Don't mind the silly man. I'm sure he looked it up on babynames.com grin
Igbo people too like to discard their culture sha. Not because of lack of pride but I guess because we assimilate really well. We always learn the languages of our "hosts" (wrong word choice but you get my point) whether nah Yoruba in Lagos or even Japanese in Japan shocked
Igbo people no send. We learn the language, marry the women and some even raise their children in that new culture. This ability to get along so well everywhere (learn the language, learn how to deal with the people, make money cool) is both like our strong spot and our weak spot. We're a very individualistic culture, which I love and admire. But at times I do like that feeling of unity and community which are things we seem to not feel are as important, as opposed to other cultures who seem to regard acting as one unified body as the most important thing. Wow hope that made any sense at all.

Lol! hopefully that baby has some other names to fall back on.. oh dear sad grin

Yup, totally agree with you. We are so busy accommodating to others that we sometimes forget ourselves. Its just the way we are. Not necessarily a bad thing but we just need to check ourselves once in a while

We are naturally disunited lol. I don't think there is any way of escaping that, we just have to manoeuvre it to our advantage

1 Like

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Gurgle(f): 3:41am On Jul 30, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Oziolisa.
Ositadinma....Osy.
Nkemdilim...Nkem
Obiora.
Zikora.
Isioma.
Afoma.
Nonyelum..... grin grin
Amaka
Amalachukwu...Amala
Ojiugo...ancient name given to light skin females.
Oluchi/Oluchukwu.
Onyinye.
Ujunwa.
Ifedioramma.
Nulia.
Obialinamma.
Amulunanma.
Ifeatu.
Makuo....embrace.

Can you translate these names please
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by chigoizie7(m): 3:43am On Jul 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Haha I can't say. People may know me o.

Know u? On a faceless forum?
Re: Sexy Igbo Names by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 30, 2015
chigoizie7:

Know u? On a faceless forum?
Better safe than sorry as they say Oga

1 Like

Re: Sexy Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:48am On Jul 30, 2015
Gurgle:

Can you translate these names please

Sure,my lady.

OdenigboAroli:
Oziolisa...message from God.
Ositadinma....Osy....Henceforth, it shall be well from today,till tomorrow.
Nkemdilim...Nkem
Obiora....wish of the people.
Zikora...show the people
Isioma...Favored One.
Afoma....Good heart/conscience.
Nonyelum..... grin grin......Be with me.
Amaka......very beautiful.
Amalachukwu...Amala.....Grace of God.
Ojiugo...ancient name given to light skin females....White colanut.
Oluchi/Oluchukwu....Work of God.
Onyinye.....gift
Ujunwa....A child with plenty.
Ifedioramma....The one that pleases the people.
Nulia....Rejoice.
Obialinamma.....Arrived in good times.
Amulunanma.....Born in good times.
Ifeatu....Exemplary One.
Makuo....embrace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christians Are Not Terrorists, But Commit Wicked Crimes – Sultan / MGL Birthday Wishes / Emir Aminu Bayero's Daughter, Rukayyah Weds Emir Umar Usman's Son (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.