Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,058 members, 7,953,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:11 PM

The Disappointed Engineer - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Disappointed Engineer (642 Views)

‘i’m Disappointed With Some South-east Leaders Over IPOB’- President Buhari / Buhari Has Disappointed Nigerians – Senator Okunrounmu / Always Disappointed With Your Graphic Designer? Come Let's Correct His Mistakes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Disappointed Engineer by Hidentity(m): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
Benjamin is a Ghanian friend of mine, he is a skilled poet. He studied Engineering and was graduated by one of the top higher institutions in Ghana, this is the text he shared with me and I decided to publish subject to his permission. I think we can all learn something.

For years past,I have now found a reason to celebrate my graduation.
I had pledged not to ever mention that I was an engineer and the best in my department. (Civil Engineering). You see, very strangely of me, while others
were all joyous that day about been successful graduands, I wasn't any happy. I had regretted wasting so many years. I was pronounced best graduating student of the civil engineering department and as I
walked through the mammoth crowd to receive my award,one question was in my troubled mind, am I an engineer?

Like any other African student, I had spent years learning how to pass an examination, I memorized all formulas,principles and even complex structural calculations, and I was so good at it that I could sing out to you my highway engineering handout. I was the student who could write a whole levelling,Traversing and
Coordinates calculations in the sky. I just stargazed and there they were with the stars;the advanced calculus,engineering mathematics and advanced fluid mechanics scary formulae.

I didn't know anything on the field. Though our program was suppose to be practical enough, unfortunately it
had no such impact on us. Yet there I was as an engineering student.
Fast forward, the reason am posting these pictures now,is that I have seen in myself a future so clear. I have discovered that I will be a civil engineering lecturer and continue the tradition of breeding theory engineers.
I am happy now because I know that I will finally end up in the class endangering the built society. Am glad
because we will finally keep tradition and wait on some Chinese to construct our roads, build our complex structures, design our transportation network. While we
brag that we are engineers.

Congrats. Oppong Clifford Benjamin.

1 Like

Re: The Disappointed Engineer by ladyF(f): 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
grin
Re: The Disappointed Engineer by Electronzeez(m): 10:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
I love this, benjamin is on point, this happen in ll african university.

If i have a coy and i want to employ an engineer to work for me, i will definetly throw questions beyond what is asked in the four walls of the university. I believe in applied question, how effective you can apply what you have learn to solving problems.

I wish 'what is question' can be erase from our schools, this i believe will limit crammers having distinctions and first class and will most likely give student better understanding of how such thing work.

1 Like

Re: The Disappointed Engineer by theunusualmoon(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2015
Not only engineering.same thing with those that study physics,chemistry and biology.gradually happening to pharmacy and medicine.theory,theory,theory and no practical.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Courses In Western Ukraine Universities. / [A Must Read] ‘baba Go Slow’ For Buhari, An Irony Of Life / The 100 Most Affordable Universities In America 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.