Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,260 members, 7,818,887 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas (2586 Views)

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Why This Blood Line Hate Between The Igbo's And yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 9:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
[b]Earlier this year i was travelling to lagos with my basketball teammates as we headed to a tournament. . . On getting to Yoruba land, i watched from my window and watched as the people played out their daily activities. . I looked closely trying to see a distinguishing feature between i and them but Alas "THERE WAS NONE"

I touched my team mate a yoruba named Ayodele (Tho have lived in the east all his life so is typically Igbo in terms of language) I asked him.
"Look around, what differences do you see?" His reply was "Nothing"

We all share similar skin colour, traits, cultural similarity, physical characteristics, even language similarity in a very little way. . I found out that we are just same people distinguished only by TRIBAL label. What differences do you see when you look at another person from Ivory coast?

I have always watched on in total dismay and sadness when ever i enter a thread and all i see is a war front of back to back tribal bashing and lashing. It is a very sad sight to see and a very disappointing exhibition.

I wish to use this medium to call on every IGBO and YORUBA in this forum, i know we all love our people and we all feel a kind of sentimental attachment to our tribe which is understandable because everybody does that. I know we all feel the need to protect our tribe and defend it in the face of any seeming adversary and to this i fully understand your sentiments.

But this is a thread to call for restraint and gentility. . Let us meet every harsh word with a healthy humour and gentility.

"The word that sparks up war in a land, makes peace in another"

It all depends of the manner you present it. . . This is practically a way of appealing to my fellow IGBOs and also Yorubas, let us not let this tribal e-fights rid us of our reason.
It is totally unnecessarily as it is demeaning. . Let the love we each have for our tribes let loose and extend towards others because "We were all humans before tribe separated us" love should be unbound.

I sincerely hope my humble pleas are given a bit of a listening ear, i hope we will learn to approach each other kindly even if our interests do not align.

I hope any harsh word against any tribe will be met with a sound humour and a kinder approach.

Ideologies will always differ in life but differences in ideologies do not equate enmity. So let us not let our differences equate enmity and contempt but rather let us see it as a unique aspect that must be embraced and understood rather than fought over.

I have never seen a thread in nairaland were the tribal fights produces a meaningful result rather it only ends in creating more bad blood and resentment towards each other and so might result into an infinite chain of unfounded and unwarranted enmity.

Please what ever grudge you may bear in your mind towards others, let us learn how to discuss discreetly and in that know true PEACE even in our disagreement. . .Learn that kind words in the face of adversary is not cowardice but rather STRENGTH.

I am an IGBO and i extend the flag for peace and love
[/b]

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
o boy

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by christinie(f): 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
Ok.
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
The difference is in there ideology. Next time, take your time and interact with them.
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 9:23pm On Jul 29, 2015
Tydies:
The difference is in there ideology. Next time, take your time and interact with them.
Yes differences in ideology should not be taken as enmity but rather a ground for healthy argument and sound disagreement yet in a discreet way

5 Likes

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 29, 2015
hmmm!
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hakeem4(m): 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2015
We have very different cultures so we can't cope

Don't bother preaching peace cause I know so many teenage Yoruba children and Igbo children that hate each other
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 9:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
hakeem4:
We have very different cultures so we can't cope

Don't bother preaching peace cause I know so many teenage Yoruba children and Igbo children that hate each other
and i know many that loves each other... We can never take because of death and leave the fight" we cannot take because someone hates the other and forgo to instigate peace

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hakeem4(m): 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2015
johnydon22:
and i know many that loves each other... We can never take because of death and leave the fight" we cannot take because someone hates the other and forgo to instigate peace
I know what you're trying to do . Tbh I'm Yoruba and I've nothing against the IGbos but I took a research and found out that most of our parents have said different things about other tribes making them hate each other
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 10:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
hakeem4:
I know what you're trying to do . Tbh I'm Yoruba and I've nothing against the Igbos but I took a research and found out that most of our parents have said different things about other tribes making them hate each other
And our parents are not us, we can always change what we want

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hakeem4(m): 10:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
johnydon22:
And our parents are not us, we can always change what we want
can I ask you a question?
Do you think racism can stop ?
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
hakeem4:
can I ask you a question?
Do you think racism can stop ?
Before you appeal to a collective you must first win the individual. . . if we can win the individual the collective is solved, so yes i admit i have such hopes even tho it is a flimsy one and seems improbable
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hakeem4(m): 10:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
johnydon22:
Before you appeal to a collective you must first win the individual. . . if we can win the individual the collective is solved, so yes i admit i have such hopes even tho it is a flimsy one and seems improbable
i pray tribalism stops in Nigeria
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 30, 2015
nice write up Bro,

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe"
- Albert Einstein

while we don't know where the universe ends, or if it ends, , it is fairly certain, going by phenomenal statistics that humans will continue to act stupidly without end.
the US vs THEM mentality, the fear, discrimination, stereotyping, prejudging and hatred for the others that always keep people divided, is a human stupidity syndrome, a mental illness grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hahn(m): 9:56am On Jul 30, 2015
MrPresident:
nice write up Bro,

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe"
- Albert Einstein

while we don't know where the universe ends, or if it ends, , it is fairly certain, going by phenomenal statistics that humans will continue to act stupidly without end.
the US vs THEM mentality, the fear, discrimination, stereotyping, prejudging and hatred for the others that always keep people divided, is a human stupidity syndrome, a mental illness grin

There will never be peace. That's why I don't blame pastorpreneurs who exploit their congregation, politicians who loots all the funds etc. At the end of the day, every single person who has raised his voice to champion real change and speak for the rights of the people has either been humilated, called all sorts of names, spoken against etc by the same people he was trying to fight for. Especially here in Nigeria where the truth isn't given much attention.

The same Yorubas and Igbos still fight within themselves. The Ijebu, egba and other "tribes" within the Yorubas for instance all speak different dialects, have differents cultures and see themselves differently and will definitely pick their "brother"(an ijebu person for instance) over an egba man just as an Igbo man who is Imbaitse will favour his "brother" over an Anambra man, for instance.

Let's not even go into the varying religious beliefs and even religious factions. The average African is still chained down by the culture of our ancestors and nothing(allow me to sound pessimistic) will change until we realise and accept the fact that mjority of the belief systems we practise today were initiated by primitive minds, that these belief systems need to be "upgraded" in order for us to truly develop as a people.

The African Americans, after whites tore down their link to African way of life have been able to embrace each other as one(even though they've divided themselves again via crips and blood ish) and have made remarkable progress as opposed to Africans who seem to have found themselves stuck in a modern world with our ancient traditions and belief systems

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by sorextee(m): 10:25am On Jul 30, 2015
A northerner is passing by.. since this topic aint about us... cool
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hahn(m): 11:11am On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:

Even though johnydon22 has centered this issue on the Yorubas and Ibos, it is indeed an issue that concerns all Nigerians and Africans as a whole

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 30, 2015
hahn:

There will never be peace. That's why I don't blame pastorpreneurs who exploit their congregation, politicians who loots all the funds etc. At the end of the day, every single person who has raised his voice to champion real change and speak for the rights of the people has either been humilated, called all sorts of names, spoken against etc by the same people he was trying to fight for. Especially here in Nigeria where the truth isn't given much attention.

The same Yorubas and Igbos still fight within themselves. The Ijebu, egba and other "tribes" within the Yorubas for instance all speak different dialects, have differents cultures and see themselves differently and will definitely pick their "brother"(an ijebu person for instance) over an egba man just as an Igbo man who is Imbaitse will favour his "brother" over an Anambra man, for instance.

Let's not even go into the varying religious beliefs and even religious factions. The average African is still chained down by the culture of our ancestors and nothing(allow me to sound pessimistic) will change until we realise and accept the fact that mjority of the belief systems we practise today were initiated by primitive minds, that these belief systems need to be "upgraded" in order for us to truly develop as a people.

The African Americans, after whites tore down their link to African way of life have been able to embrace each other as one(even though they've divided themselves again via crips and blood ish) and have made remarkable progress as opposed to Africans who seem to have found themselves stuck in a modern world with our ancient traditions and belief systems

exactly,
that is why I personally, see it as a megalomania, even the African Americans see African immigrants differently, not minding the fact that an immigrant might be of the same blood lineage with them(going by slave-trade history).
In nigeria, an Anambra man sees an Enugu man differently, irrespective of the fact that they were all Anambra people before Enugu was made a state.
like you said, religion does not help issues at all, also the divide-and-conquer method of colonial imperialists.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:

well my dear, tribalism is inherently neutral, it seems fair when it means protecting one's own or group, and it is some aspects of tribalism that allow us to function as a society but a negative manifestation of tribalism is that it excludes others that are not like us,

just like you have illustrated with the statement "..since this topic aint about us..."

you might have something estimably good and positive to proffer to the topic, but since it's not about "us" you walked away. grin

it's an unavoidable megalomania grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nwaiberibe: 12:02pm On Jul 30, 2015
How would tribal bigotry stop in Nigeria? Our parents passed it on to us and so we will also pass it on to our children and our children's children. The Igbo child has been taught to hate the Yorubas because they're dirty, fetish and evil. The Yoruba child too has been taught to hate and avoid the Igbos because they're money ritualists, ''chest beaters'' and cheats. This hate trend will go on and on until God's kingdom. No amount of preaching can change that now; we can only try but it won't stop. It's a virus that has cut deeply in our orientation. Nice writeup anyway
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by sorextee(m): 1:38pm On Jul 30, 2015
Very true sir, cos some of we northerners share some kind of hatred towards d Igbos nd yorubas..
Take me for instance, I never really liked the Igbos... they always feel they re the smartest. We see dem as cunning individuals... Till I dated a girl from anambra state.. My perspective changed. And right now sef, I'm in love with three girls. All from anambra state... anambra girls, I hail una o.. they re d finest, amongst all igbo state(no offense to the rest) cheesy
A hausa muslim no even like the yoruba muslims... they don't see them as a genuine muslim....

hahn:

Even though johnydon22 has centered this issue on the Yorubas and Ibos, it is indeed an issue that concerns all Nigerians and Africans as a whole

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hahn(m): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:
Very true sir, cos some of we northerners share some kind of hatred towards d Igbos nd yorubas..
Take me for instance, I never really liked the Igbos... they always feel they re the smartest. We see dem as cunning individuals... Till I dated a girl from anambra state.. My perspective changed. And right now sef, I'm in love with three girls. All from anambra state... anambra girls, I hail una o.. they re d finest, amongst all igbo state(no offense to the rest) cheesy
A hausa muslim no even like the yoruba muslims... they don't see them as a genuine muslim....

Lol. Funny guy.

I'm curious though, do northerners also share the same inter-tribal hatred for one another? I ask this because one can hardly notice northerners fight against each other

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
Op, good effort. You can never change your people, don't ever let them change you the moment you know the truth. The truth will set you free (from prejudice) at least.
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by sorextee(m): 2:13pm On Jul 30, 2015
Nope, we don't..

hahn:

Lol. Funny guy.

I'm curious though, do northerners also share the same inter-tribal hatred for one another? I ask this because one can hardly notice northerners fight against each other
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2015
Nwaiberibe:
How would tribal bigotry stop in Nigeria? Our parents passed it on to us and so we will also pass it on to our children and our children's children. The Igbo child has been taught to hate the Yorubas because they're dirty, fetish and evil. The Yoruba child too has been taught to hate and avoid the Igbos because they're money ritualists, ''chest beaters'' and cheats. This hate trend will go on and on until God's kingdom. No amount of preaching can change that now; we can only try but it won't stop. It's a virus that has cut deeply in our orientation. Nice writeup anyway

I will have to disagree with the bolded, I lived and studied in SE (Igbo state) they don't even know who a yoruba man is, even if you don't speak their language, not until you tell them you are yoruba. even at that they still respect you even more than their own people.
I bet the tribal rivalry between Igbos and Yorubas exist only in Lagos state and on social media.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
Op, good effort. You can never change your people, don't ever let them change you the moment you know the truth. The truth will set you free (from prejudice) at least. Tribalism is the commander-in-chief of African problems.

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by hahn(m): 2:33pm On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:
Nope, we don't..

Then y'all need to teach the rest of the country your secret

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by scholes0(m): 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
hahn:

Then y'all need to teach the rest of the country your secret

Don't mind him... what he says is untrue.
He cant categorically tell me that the Hausa or Kanuri man does not discriminate the Tiv or Gwari or the Igala...
He is probably talking about the ethnic groups of the far north (Hausa, Kanuri and Fulani)

2 Likes

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by johnydon22(m): 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:
Nope, we don't..

This isn't true bro there are still innate sense of tribal "belong" in them and the WE and US ideology.. i have witnessed one first hand.

Most northerners here engage as mobile shoe menders, i called one to polish my shoes and another passed but they didn't even greet, normally as we always see the other one should have come to his comrade and would have taken the other shoe and polished it after they would share the money but they didn't even talk to each other and the other passed, i was curious and i asked him..

"Aboki why you no call your brother?"

in his own words he hissed and said

"He be pulani i be Hausa" i was amazed... maybe both have an unsettle score or something

2 Likes

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by sorextee(m): 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2015
hausas and the fulani no get beef... maybe both guys have a personal grudge against each other... cos a typical hausa man will want to marry a fulani girl, to have fine children... original hausa pple ugly.. any fine hausa guy or girl get fulani lineage... me for instance, my mumc get fulani roots.. wink the only disagreement among the hausas is majorly between the Sunni and Shia muslims.. just like the pharisees and sadduces in Jesus era..

johnydon22:
This isn't true bro there are still innate sense of tribal "belong" in them and the WE and US ideology.. i have witnessed one first hand.

Most northerners here engage as mobile shoe menders, i called one to polish my shoes and another passed but they didn't even greet, normally as we always see the other one should have come to his comrade and would have taken the other shoe and polished it after they would share the money but they didn't even talk to each other and the other passed, i was curious and i asked him..

"Aboki why you no call your brother?"

in his own words he hissed and said

"He be pulani i be Hausa" i was amazed... maybe both have an unsettle score or something
Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by sorextee(m): 8:48pm On Jul 30, 2015
hurrayyyyyy *dancing shoki. ive learnt how to bold characters... still finding that quote in a quote in a quot crye thing extremely difficult..
sorextee:
hausas and the fulani no get beef... maybe both guys have a personal grudge against each other... cos a typical hausa man will want to marry a fulani girl, to have fine children... original hausa pple ugly.. any fine hausa guy or girl get fulani lineage... me for instance, my mumc get fulani roots.. wink the only disagreement among the hausas is majorly between the Sunni and Shia muslims.. just like the pharisees and sadduces in Jesus era..

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2015
sorextee:

Nairaland motto is 'one man, one problem.'

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quesion And Answer In Yoruba / Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio / Don't Lie!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.