Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,146 members, 7,957,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:16 AM

Writing Fiction: 10 Ways To Keep Readers Hooked [1] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writing Fiction: 10 Ways To Keep Readers Hooked [1] (496 Views)

How To Create Interesting Fictional Characters That Keep Your Readers Hooked 1 / Writing: QED, How To Keep Readers Reading Your Fiction / Writing Fiction: 10 Ways To Keep Readers Hooked [2] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Writing Fiction: 10 Ways To Keep Readers Hooked [1] by TRWConsult(m): 7:54am On Jul 30, 2015
How can you entice your reader to turn the page?
By writing a good story, of course!

The drama within the tale—plus the implied question ‘how will it all turn out?’—should be motivation enough.
But it isn’t.

Even great stories must be structured to sustain that drama.
‘Scene hangers’ are one way to do it. They’re lines set at the end of a scene or chapter that tempt the reader to read on. Most great stories contain scene hangers, though they might not be obvious.

The device became popular in the mid-19th century when many novels were sold in monthly instalments and readers had to be teased, at the end of each instalment, to buy the next one.

But scene hangers are used even today, in virtually every genre.

Here are 10 proven ways to writing fiction that will keep your reader hooked:

#1. Break at a point of tension
”I’ve had enough of this marriage,” Jane screamed, “and of you!”

The reader yearns to know how, or if, the tension will be resolved in the next chapter.

The tactic here is to delay the resolution of a scene.

“I just don’t understand,” Jim said to the hushed room. And the silence deepened.

Keep the big questions hanging.

You can emphasize the break by setting the scene hanger on a separate line.

This was a time for rejoicing./Wasn’t it?

If you end a scene with a single sentence or phrase (‘Wasn’t it?’) on a line by itself, it acquires a special emphasis: teasing or ominous. Almost any phrase will do.

Or you can end the scene with a pregnant pause.

He set his glass carefully on the table and fixed me with a glance that would have skewered a pig.

What does this mean? We have to read on to find out.

Why not put a ‘gun on the wall?’

On his wall I noticed a hand gun. While his back was turned, I sniffed it. Recently fired.

End your scene or chapter with some mysterious object. It need not be a gun as such.

On his table was a model, four foot high, of the Mt Rushmore Memorial. Built of bread dough.

Bread dough? Why?

It could even be an odd event.

For no obvious reason, he smiled then stood on his head.

What’s going on? We jump to the next chapter to find out.

Each of these examples closes on a note of uncertainty. You can create uncertainty with a single phrase.

At least, that’s what it seemed.
But maybe I was wrong.
Or so I thought.
Joe would go to college and Sharon would have her baby and everything would be fine. Or so I thought.

That lingering hint of doubt builds suspense. And suspense keeps a story moving.

#2. Ask a rhetorical question
How ever would I get out of this mess?

Shakespeare pioneered the trick in King Lear: “What will hap more to-night?”

Today, a question addressed blatantly to the reader sounds old-fashioned. Reserve it for pulp fiction.

However, the device can be used in subtle ways. Simply end with a question that the narrator poses to themselves:

Was I right about Jill’s pregnancy? For sure, I would know tomorrow.

So will the reader, if they read on.

#3. Link the passages with a forecast
Houston would be unbearably hot in August, I thought./And so it was.

With one jump, we’re in Houston.

You can strengthen that forecast with a linking word or phrase.

Park Avenue at night is a joyless place./I arrived at my apartment, but with no great joy.

The terms ‘joyless’ and ‘joy’ link the chapters seamlessly to give a sense of continuity.

A forecast can build suspense if it foreshadows a fateful event.

I thought the worst was over, but it wasn’t.

What more disasters await the narrator overleaf, we wonder?

You could even make a happy prediction.

Tomorrow was going to be the best day of my life!

The reader knows—just from the naivety of the statement—that tomorrow is not going to be happy. In either case, they turn the page with dreadful joy.

Or you could foreshadow an intriguing incident.

Somewhere in the darkness a child wailed.

Why did it wail? The incident doesn’t have to be important. You can drop it in to add a hint of mood or mystery, and perhaps not even refer to it again. But the reader turns the page to learn more.

When writing fiction, or reading it, what scene hangers have you discovered? Please share your thoughts below. Every comment gets a fast, helpful reply.

About the author:

Dr John Yeoman, PhD Creative Writing, is a top-rated Amazon author. He judges the Writers’ Village story competition and is a tutor in creative writing at a UK university. He has been a successful commercial author for 42 years.

(1) (Reply)

Post You Poems, Inspirational Words, Books Etc / Uplibe: Notice OF Postponement OF Launch Date :( / Institution Of Successful Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.