Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,653 members, 7,809,476 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Tourism In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tourism In Nigeria (1032 Views)

Celebrating World Tourism Day 2015 - My Beautiful Nigeria (pictures Included) / Tourism In Nigeria - Top 30 Exciting Destinations / Nigerian Mega Churches Stir Tourism In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tourism In Nigeria by john21: 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2006
Hi was wandering what tourism is like in Nigeria and was wandering how big the tourist industry is there. Also is there anything worth while seeing in Nigeria if so what are they.

From the information i have gotten Nigeria is not a popular tourist destination due to the high levels of crime terrorism instability and civil unrest but every country even the most dangerous and unstable have something that attracts tourists.

So anyways what would you say that Nigeria has to offer tourists.
Re: Tourism In Nigeria by zexyworm: 12:23pm On Sep 29, 2006
Nigeria offers all of the following:

1- Incredible, picturesque natural beauties especially around South-Eastern and central Nigeria. The landscapes includes rain forest, savanahs, plateaus, and the Saharah desert.
2- 250 distinct ethnic groups and a treasure of cultural activities (including festivals, carnivals(Abuja Carnival), and other ritual sport events such as Argungu Fishing Festival, etc.).
3- A substantial amount of unspoilt beach fronts especially East of Lagos and around Cross River and Akwa Ibom areas.
4- Indigenous architecture as exemplified by the Nigerian Museum of Traditional Architecture in Jos.

Nigeria has countless tourism potentials however there is a lack (today) of standard low/medium budget hotels and reliable tour operators.

This is bound to change as more hotels enter the market and as certain states kick-start their tourism industires. In Cross River the Tinapa Resort will come online next year. Another resort is planned for Fun Ruwa near Abuja, among others,

I would say the biggest obstacle to tourism as a revenue-generator and poverty reducer is Nigerians themselves. Their current cynical and skeptical attitude is a problem. The government is aiming to promote awareness through formal national programs (the inffective NTDC) but i think it will be best to empower grass-roots groups: Creaton of arts and crafts schools, theaters schools, and training training and more training for the future tour guides.

With visionary leaders like Governor Donald Duke in power come 2007, we can expect a tourism renaissance in Nigeria, and in the process, far less poverty.

(1) (Reply)

Settlement Visa / Which Country Should I Relocate To Outside America, UK & Canada / URGENT: Traveling Advice Needed For A Family Member Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.