Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,021 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. (4491 Views)

How Good Is Toyota Sienna Xle / Help: How Reliable Is Toyota Camry Orobo For Transportation Business / Is Toyota Corolla 2003/2004 Overpriced? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by chukel(m): 5:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
i saw the interior of toyota corolla 2014 and i had a nostalgic feeling of the 80s corolla dashboard. the similarities are so much. question is, is toyota running out of ideas or are they going back to the 80s
1st pic- 2014 corolla dashboard
2nd pic- 1980 corolla dashbooard
3rd pic- 1976 corolla dashboard

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by abatically(m): 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
I don't think so. On the contrary it is a good thing to keep the design language of a particular model, this will keep fans of the older models happy. The same way 1976 g wagon has the same shape as a 2015 model. Same way a 1970 range rover still looks like the latest model. You don't need to look at the badge to tell which car it is.

8 Likes

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by mejai(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2019
Toyota don tire for design. They just mould anything and fix 4 tyres like cartoon cars(the one i see in 'The Amazing world of Gumball') No wow presence grin

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by diportivo: 2:25pm On Sep 14, 2019
design language shocked

theres no similarity between this 2014 dash and the 2012 dash

whatever this language of a thing is tho,I give e it to Honda

dem sabi ease old models into new

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2019
chukel:
i saw the interior of toyota corolla 2014 and i had a nostalgic feeling of the 80s corolla dashboard. the similarities are so much. question is, is toyota running out of ideas or are they going back to the 80s
1st pic- 2014 corolla dashboard
2nd pic- 1980 corolla dashbooard
3rd pic- 1976 corolla dashboard
Permit me to deviate a little.

I noticed that the 1976 Corolla you posted has an automatic transmission.

Some people tell those who use manual transmission cars that they are living the dark ages. They be like "who still uses manual tranny these days"

They say this as if automatic transmission is a new invention.

For those who care to know, automatic transmission is as old and manual transmission. It's a matter of availability and choice.

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Eddee(m): 3:03pm On Sep 14, 2019
iAudio:

Permit me to deviate a little.

I noticed that the 1976 Corolla you posted has an automatic transmission.

Some people tell those who use manual transmission cars that they are living the dark ages. They be like "who still uses manual tranny these days"

They say this as if automatic transmission is a new invention.

For those who care to know, automatic transmission is as old and manual transmission. It's a matter of availability and choice.

My brother, a stick is outdated - very soon it will be available on a few high end sport cars. The advantages of a stick to an auto are literally non-existent these days save for costs. In terms of speed, some autos shift automatically at higher rpms same as what you can do with a manual, with regards to mileage - computer controlled transmissions have reduced the fuel consumption difference to something very negligible.

The only advantage a manual transmission has over an automatic is that in a manual, you're only worried about your clutch going not your entire transmission (automatic transmissions are notoriously packed with gears, sensors and solenoids).

The only reason people still drive stick is habit - very difficult to entrust their vehicles inner workings to a computer program.

You don't want to be in Lagos traffic with a stick, better to slide your gear into neutral and apply the parking brakes while you eat a full course meal than grow leg muscles because of an obsession with a technology older than most of our parents.

5 Likes

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by baaliyah(m): 8:31pm On Sep 14, 2019
abatically:
I don't think so. On the contrary it is a good thing to keep the design language of a particular model, this will keep fans of the older models happy. The same way 1976 g wagon has the same shape as a 2015 model. Same way a 1970 range rover still looks like the latest model. You don't need to look at the badge to tell which car it is.

Where is this man
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Nobody: 3:39am On Sep 15, 2019
Eddee:

My brother, a stick is outdated - very soon it will be available on a few high end sport cars. The advantages of a stick to an auto are literally non-existent these days save for costs. In terms of speed, some autos shift automatically at higher rpms same as what you can do with a manual, with regards to mileage - computer controlled transmissions have reduced the fuel consumption difference to something very negligible.

The only advantage a manual transmission has over an automatic is that in a manual, you're only worried about your clutch going not your entire transmission (automatic transmissions are notoriously packed with gears, sensors and solenoids).

The only reason people still drive stick is habit - very difficult to entrust their vehicles inner workings to a computer program.

You don't want to be in Lagos traffic with a stick, better to slide your gear into neutral and apply the parking brakes while you eat a full course meal than grow leg muscles because of an obsession with a technology older than most of our parents.
BRT BUSES, DANFO BUSES ARE ALL STICK. DO YOU PATROL LAGOS TRAFFIC MORE THAN THEM?

4 Likes

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by chukel(m): 4:16am On Sep 15, 2019
Na wa o. 2015 thread. These people are running out of front page thread.
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Eddee(m): 7:19am On Sep 15, 2019
Smartchoiice:

BRT BUSES, DANFO BUSES ARE ALL STICK. DO YOU PATROL LAGOS TRAFFIC MORE THAN THEM?

Those are old Toyota Hiaces, Nissan Vanettes as well as MB Marcopolos. Even 16 to 20 wheelers these days come in Auto
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
Eddee:

Those are old Toyota Hiaces, Nissan Vanettes as well as MB Marcopolos. Even 16 to 20 wheelers these days come in Auto
I love manual transmission. It places a cap on my wakawaka

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by DAVE5(m): 7:53am On Sep 16, 2019
Smartchoiice:

I’m quite sure the danfo bus drivers would pick automatic gear transmission over manual if given to them on a plater of gold

Most of them use the manual cos they can’t afford newer/auto models for their business... I drove manual when I started driving and once I drove auto... ghen ghen no going back to that shît
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Eddee(m): 9:11am On Sep 20, 2019
DAVE5:

I’m quite sure the danfo bus drivers would pick automatic gear transmission over manual if given to them on a plater of gold

Most of them use the manual cos they can’t afford newer/auto models for their business... I drove manual when I started driving and once I drove auto... ghen ghen no going back to that shît

Manual tranny's are overrated. Apart from cost of maintenance, there is no discernible difference in performance these days. People go just dey get muscle pull and cramps anyhow for traffic.

Baba Smartchoiice I no wan quote you for the other thread - just breath in, out. And let everything go. Your knowledge on cars is what you ought to share more (I'm not trying to patronise you but I know it's vast), abeg let bygones be bygones.
Person no fit open any thread, no see your fights with either mainland or Island workshops.

As always, you na my personal person - and one of these days I go track you, make we sidon dey alright.
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by DAVE5(m): 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2019
Eddee:

Manual tranny's are overrated. Apart from cost of maintenance, there is no discernible difference in performance these days. People go just dey get muscle pull and cramps anyhow for traffic.

Baba Smartchoiice I no wan quote you for the other thread - just breath in, out. And let everything go. Your knowledge on cars is what you ought to share more (I'm not trying to patronise you but I know it's vast), abeg let bygones be bygones.
Person no fit open any thread, no see your fights with either mainland or Island workshops.

As always, you na my personal person - and one of these days I go track you, make we sidon dey alright.

I no understand ohh, u quote me and smartchoiice for one post ni, u go allow am com catch me 4 thread where I jejely wan dey lowkey, he can wan drag pesin leg enter casala

In addi to ur manual tranny post, another car wey fit give u muscle pull nah Ford Edge and Acura MDX steering, those steering nah load, so I tested my padi 2015 rx350 steering, mehn, it’s the heaven of steering, so soft like early morning bwest ; lol
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Eddee(m): 1:07pm On Sep 20, 2019
DAVE5:

I no understand ohh, u quote me and smartch.oiice for one post ni, u go allow am com catch me 4 thread where I jejely wan dey lowkey, he can wan drag pesin leg enter casala

In addi to ur manual tranny post, another car wey fit give u muscle pull nah Ford Edge and Acura MDX steering, those steering nah load, so I tested my padi 2015 rx350 steering, mehn, it’s the heaven of steering, so soft like early morning bwest ; lol

Him no go do am. Na my guy normally.

grin grin grin - those steering pumps have seen better days
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by DAVE5(m): 1:32pm On Sep 20, 2019
Eddee:

Him no go do am. Na my guy normally.

grin grin grin - those steering pumps have seen better days

They were actually toks cars ohh

I hear Ford is notorious for heavy steering, 3 Ford edges my goons have used are heavy on the steering
Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by Eddee(m): 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2019
DAVE5:

They were actually toks cars ohh

I hear Ford is notorious for heavy steering, 3 Ford edges my goons have used are heavy on the steering

Never owned one, drove one focus - albeit briefly, so I wouldn't know.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota Running Out Of Design Ideas. by fabienjoe: 3:10pm On Sep 20, 2019
abatically:

'Keeping the design language' works only for high end models...You mentioned Range Rover and Benz G Wagon..Yes, these cars don't usually want to change radically over time. They are premium, with select group of customers. They want to keep that exclusivity. This applies to Rolls Royce as well...Even then, it doesn't always work. Consider the Jaguar S-type..they were conservative in their designs until 2007 and sales were beginning to tank. They were beginning to lose the market to BMW 5 series and Benz E Class. They changed the design radically and called it Jaguar XF. Small vehicles like Corolla have no reason to keep designs. They are no premium products. They are not bought for status. They only take you from A to B without airs. Cars in that category change radically in designs. If Toyota goes back to old Corolla designs, it can only be for one reason...lack of imagination.

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Lexus X300 And Toyota Highlander / Hyundai Elantra 2012 Or 2011 Camry? / Which Car Can I Buy With 500-600k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.