Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me (2574 Views)

Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years / Do You Want To Know The Best Cameras To Shoot Your Nollywood Movies? / Nollywood Stars Who Can Make It In Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 4:50pm On Sep 27, 2006
The so called Nollywood stars you idolize and rave about don't excite me.

Until I see them winning awards at the best film festivals in the world, I won't be impressed.

Most of the awards they have been winning are Nigerian awards or others arranged by Nigerians abroad.

None of them has even won any international award for their acting skills.

Please, don't mention Africa Magic. Because that is just Mnet's marketing brand to promote their Multichoice Cable TV business in Nigeria.

“Our people don’t think they need training. I think I’ll hold the media responsible for this. We look at the face and bom of these girls and you make noise about them. I’ve heard some artistes say they have featured in 300 movies. That is ludicrous! It amounts to a lack of vision. That is why they feed the people with rubbish because that is what they understand. That is why I call them illiterates because that is what they understand.
Now they are making the story line look better by making them go to university and fall in love. But they don’t even understand the meaning of love. I’m yet to see anyone do a movie about two young people who are head over heels in love. Without sex or falling on each other.”
~ Taiwo Ajai Lycett on Nollywood
http://www.naijarules.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18372

From Cannes film festival to Venice to Toronto, none of these so called Nollywood stars has ever got even an honourable mention!

I am only posting about them online to boost their search engine rankings and expose them to world class filmmakers.

Does Steven Spielberg know who is Genevieve Nnaji or Ramsey Nouah?

Most Americans and British people cannot even understand their Nigerian English!
But the name of Djimon Hounsou rings a bell in Hollywood!

Djimon Hounsou is just from Cotonou here and came to Paris from Benin at the age of 13, couldn't find a job and ended as a vagrant, sleeping under bridges and rummaging in trash cans for food. Things changed for the better when fashion designer Thierry Mugler discovered him and made him a fashion model.

Was in Janet Jackson video "Love Will Never Do Without You" (1992)

In "ER" (1994) he played Mobalage Ikabo, a refugee from Nigeria. His actual homeland of Benin shares its largest border with Nigeria.

Nobody will even notice Genevieve Nnaji on Hollywood Boulevard or Sunset Boulevard.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2006
Ahahahaha word.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by BlackMamba(m): 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2006
If your idea of success is for them to compete with Hollywood stars, then that's not going to happen. They will be better appreciated around the world if they make movies based on African culture, like the Chinese and Indians did.

Djimon Hounsou has added an African flair to the Hollywood set, since his coming out party in Steven Spielberg's Amistad.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Raymand(m): 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2006
Taiwo Ajai Lycett <true queen of nollywood. . .no one even knows her yet
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Oracle(m): 6:53pm On Sep 27, 2006
Well spoken, but why do you call them our nollywood stars
you were the one who used to talk good about them, i can remember you telling us about Emeka Enyiocha, Genevieve and other actors.
how come you've suddenly disowned them?

I know the actors are not really there yet but i strongly believe itz a matter of time and they'll be there.

Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2006
Oracle,
I have been blogging about them as well. But when I noticed that my favour is being misunderstood I have to put things in perspective.

I am still commending their efforts. But I have to say the truth as well.

We must not flatter them.

If Djimon Hounsou can make it, then they too can make it.

Djimon Hounsou even played a Nigerian in a film!
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Oracle(m): 7:49pm On Sep 27, 2006
Ok, if you say so
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by donjazzie(m): 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2006
true word brotha!nollywood. name sef(hell naw)
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Douzy(m): 9:47pm On Sep 27, 2006
Who are the stars please? *cranes eyes*
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by kiki(f): 3:34am On Sep 28, 2006
Nollywood ain't that name derived from Hollywood damn thay just can't never be original

@topic
they don't excite me neither i don';t know if its because i dont watch their movies alot cos i think its always stupid or i don't know
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 1:36pm On Sep 28, 2006
Africa Magic, Naijarules, Nollywood.net, Nairaland and other websites made these Nollywood stars to think they have made it when they are yet to even receive affirmative nods from the leaders of the film industry.

South Africa that enjoys a monopoly of Cable TV Network in Nigeria where they are making more money from MTN and other ventures makes big budget films every year and they have not even used Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola and other commendable Nollywood actors and actresses.

What has MTN done for Nollywood?
They just pay lip service to our Nollywood stars.
How much is Mnet paying for the broadcasting rights of Nigerian movies?

Genevieve Nnaji's Lux contract has expired and what is next?

My best advice is for the top Nollywood movie makers to combine their resources and raise up to $3 million to produce one good feature like the South African multiple award winning Yesterday nominated for the Oscar and the Oscar winning Tsotsi and stop all their Onitsha Market jamboree.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by mrmetoo(m): 5:26pm On Sep 28, 2006
I really hope the Nigerian Movie Industry picks up. They have served us rubbish for too long and I'm happy I'm not the only wondering what is going on with the quality of our Nollywood releases. I've seen Tsotsi, nice movie but I don't think its something unattainable by Nollywood actors but they just have to step up their production and behind the scenes everything. If we had better directors I'm sure three-quaters of these actors/actresses would be jobless. I guess that's the reason you don't find many of them starring in any international pojects.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2006
Some say that it is not good for Nollywood to emulate Hollywood but go the route of Bollywood and Chinese Film Industry, that is with regards to tradition/culture. Fine no problem but i still don't see anything close to those they wish to emulate. I've always said i don't watch Nigerian movies because i dont find anything interesting in them. From A to Z, nothing stands out to me. It doesnt have to be oscar worthy but please, let it be something innovative or even captivating and artistic. Am still waiting for something in league with Tsotsi or City of God.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by mamazita1(f): 11:15am On Oct 02, 2006
You guys sit on your fat asses and talk about stuff you know absolutely nothing about! America just celebrated 100yrs of film, did you see what their first movies looked like? black and white without words!! Our film industry which is in its 13yr, evolved as a child of circumstance by pp that (agreed) didnt know exactly know what they were getting into but knew they wanted to see pp that looked like themselves, talking like themselves about issues they could identify with and not talking about "Jurassic Park", "Apollo 13" and some other out of this world topics that has nothing to do with my African experience! We havent got there yet agreed but instead of you to support the little effort they have made like typical Nigerians we are tearing them down with our mouths. Sure Hollywood hasnt come calling but who needs Hollywood to validate me when I am serving a need and a different market here in Africa? Hollywood can never tell the Ibo man's story like the Ibo man or the Niger-Deltans story like the Niger-Deltan! Nicole Kidman or even Halle Berry can never act or look like my sister or shout 'eiwo!" the way only an African can shout! Nollywood employs at any given time at least 200,000 Nigerians that would have been thieves, streetwalkers or retirees if some one (Kenneth Nnebue) had not had the vision to produce a movie called Living in Bondage. Please give Nollywood a chance!
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by acidrop(f): 11:21am On Oct 02, 2006
the journey of a thousand mile begins with 1 foostep, so the time will come when nollywood will have a stand with hollywood, remember hollywood has been existing and if they were not as good as they are now, undecided na curse, just wait nollywood is comming out with a blast i believe, out of all the african countries, we are the most recognised, or have u ever heard about ghanawood, or liberiawod, or zibabwewood, not trying 2 say they are not good, just try 2 extend how much nigerian is trying whithout support from any international body,

go nollywood
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2006
A movie does not need colors or words to get a point or message across.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by donjazzie(m): 7:14pm On Oct 02, 2006
everythin in that industry has something to do with copyright.the name their releases.audio and video.jst copy cats
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by acidrop(f): 1:54am On Oct 03, 2006
at least they have an industry compare 2 other african country undecided
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 2:00am On Oct 03, 2006
True, i just want something more from them. I know they have it, they can do it so till when it happens, i shall be waiting tongue
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by acidrop(f): 2:05am On Oct 03, 2006
and i think they are doing good with their natural village scene movies, i mean it reflects us and nigerians, just like the hollywwod industry reflects their western culture through technology

and we are improving look at the first nigerian animation which is based on a viallage setting, i hail them 4 their effort for that chika is da bomb grin
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 2:08am On Oct 03, 2006
Settings dont bother me that much (althou i love breathtaking views lol) Its acting, camera angles, directing, editing that bothers me.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by acidrop(f): 2:12am On Oct 03, 2006
y should it , passing the message across, which is very successful in most nigerian movies, is more important
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by iice(f): 2:13am On Oct 03, 2006
Ahhhh and thats why this thread started in the first place. undecided
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2006
@mamazita!
The Nigerian film industry is more than 13 years old.

We have been making films since 1965.

Before you talk about people knowing what they are talking about, read the previous posts and do some homework.

Do you know that the Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka is a filmmaker?
He wrote the screenplay for Kongi's Harvest in 1970 and made his Blues for a Prodigal in 1984.
How old is Prof Soyinka?
Do you know Mallam Shehu and Dr. Ola Balogun?
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by mamazita1(f): 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2006
Chief Orinla oops sorry! I mean Orikinla,
Im talking about NOLLYWOOD as we know it and not some colonial, celluloid set up of 1965! Ofcourse I remember Ola Balogun of the Bisi Daughter of the River fame! What we need is support and training! Have you ever witnessed a Nig. home video being shot? They come to your house and beg you to allow them shoot just "two scenes" when they really mean 3 days! They can not break anything, mess up the place smash glass like we see in foriegn movies, AND they are under pressure to hurry and leave before "oga" or "madame" gets back! How, pray tell can they do quality film under this kind of pressure. And this is so because we have no film villages or sets, no access to real police or army artillery or uniforms and the money is peanuts compared to what our Hollywood counterparts are getting! This whole Nollywood thing is a labour of love I tell you! I dont need Steven Spielberg or George Lucas to validate me coz they dont have the slightest clue what the hell Im going thru!
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2006
mamazita!:

Chief Orinla oops sorry! I mean Orikinla,
I'm talking about NOLLYWOOD as we know it and not some colonial, celluloid set up of 1965! Ofcourse I remember Ola Balogun of the Bisi Daughter of the River fame! What we need is support and training! Have you ever witnessed a Nig. home video being shot? They come to your house and beg you to allow them shoot just "two scenes" when they really mean 3 days! They can not break anything, mess up the place smash glass like we see in foriegn movies, AND they are under pressure to hurry and leave before "oga" or "madame" gets back! How, pray tell can they do quality film under this kind of pressure. And this is so because we have no film villages or sets, no access to real police or army artillery or uniforms and the money is peanuts compared to what our Hollywood counterparts are getting! This whole Nollywood thing is a labour of love I tell you! I don't need Steven Spielberg or George Lucas to validate me because they don't have the slightest clue what the hell I'm going through!

Whether Orinla or whatever you call me, however you mean it, may it be your portion.
For better for worse. grin
Back to sender.

The days we go from house to house to appeal for the use of homes or cars for locations are behind us.

OJ has a hotel he spent N300 million to build.

Nollywood is not the beginning of the film industry in Nigeria.

May God deliver you from whatever hell you are going through. grin
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by mamazita1(f): 12:05pm On Oct 05, 2006
Hey! Lighten up! this is a heathly discussion not a cussing game! Just dont rubbish the efforts of people that are going thru sorrow, tears and blood to put movies in your hands! Several e.g JT West have died doing it! You never know who is who on the internet! I aint mad with you and I sure aint going thru no hell, I have a corporate job but have several friends in the industry. OJ is a MARKETER and not just a producer and there is a big diffrence! So he would have N300mill to burn. Shd he build a movie village for the industry? I dont think so! There are some raw nerves you dont go near , its like a white prsn saying Black people are too sensitive!
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2006
mamazita!:

Hey! Lighten up! this is a heathly discussion not a cussing game! Just don't rubbish the efforts of people that are going through sorrow, tears and blood to put movies in your hands! Several e.g JT West have died doing it! You never know who is who on the internet! I aint mad with you and I sure aint going through no hell, I have a corporate job but have several friends in the industry. OJ is a MARKETER and not just a producer and there is a big diffrence! So he would have N300mill to burn. Shd he build a movie village for the industry? I don't think so! There are some raw nerves you don't go near , its like a white prsn saying Black people are too sensitive!

My dear,
I care very much. Because I have acted in Nollywood before I left and now I am an Associate Producer and now working on my first film.

I was given an offer to be an Associate Producer to work with Ark Resources Entertainment (ARE) and I appreciated it. Then the MD/CEO Faruk Lasaki told me to invite all the directors and producers in Nollywood to meet in the production studio of ARE in Surulere for cooperation and support to make films. Because ARE has all the most current film production equipment with an international staff of proven professionals. But only Chika Onu came and we had a good meeting. Today Chika Onu is my partner in the making of Naked Beauty to be shot here on Bonny Island.

I want us to say the truth and let our Nollywood stars, producers, directors, marketers and others realize that we need to stop dancing over Mnet's Africa Magic fame that even the South Africans themeselves don't gloat over and are busy winning Oscars while using our Nollywood movies to promote and market their business interests in Nigeria and other African countries. We call it social-marketing and multinationals do it to hype their goods and services. Why not Mnet sponsor a real Nigerian film and not paying peanuts for re-broadcasting Nollywood B-movies. 99% of Nollywood are B movies. And no Nollywood actor or actress is an A-List actor or actress. Most of them don't even know what it means by the standards of the film industry. And I read some ignorant people calling our B-movies actors A-List actors.

Many of my associates are top producers and directors in America and the UK and you cannot fool them by our B-movies. Most of the Nollywood movies don't even qualify for screening in American film festivals where they accept videos.

Benin Republic has Hollywood A-List stars and here we are still competing among ourselves instead of challenging the world.

I won't join the Nollywood bandwagon. But I will make a difference by the infinite grace of God.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by KD69(m): 5:51pm On Oct 05, 2006
Orikinla:

My dear,
I care very much. Because I have acted in Nollywood before I left and now I am an Associate Producer and now working on my first film.

I was given an offer to be an Associate Producer to work with Ark Resources Entertainment (ARE) and I appreciated it. Then the MD/CEO Faruk Lasaki told me to invite all the directors and producers in Nollywood to meet in the production studio of ARE in Surulere for cooperation and support to make films. Because ARE has all the most current film production equipment with an international staff of proven professionals. But only Chika Onu came and we had a good meeting. Today Chika Onu is my partner in the making of Naked Beauty to be shot here on Bonny Island.

I want us to say the truth and let our Nollywood stars, producers, directors, marketers and others realize that we need to stop dancing over Mnet's Africa Magic fame that even the South Africans themeselves don't gloat over and are busy winning Oscars while using our Nollywood movies to promote and market their business interests in Nigeria and other African countries. We call it social-marketing and multinationals do it to hype their goods and services. Why not Mnet sponsor a real Nigerian film and not paying peanuts for re-broadcasting Nollywood B-movies. 99% of Nollywood are B movies. And no Nollywood actor or actress is an A-List actor or actress. Most of them don't even know what it means by the standards of the film industry. And I read some ignorant people calling our B-movies actors A-List actors.

Many of my associates are top producers and directors in America and the UK and you cannot fool them by our B-movies. Most of the Nollywood movies don't even qualify for screening in American film festivals where they accept videos.

Benin Republic has Hollywood A-List stars and here we are still competing among ourselves instead of challenging the world.

I won't join the Nollywood bandwagon. But I will make a difference by the infinite grace of God.

Anybody working with you must be outa their freaking minds. You have no decorum. How can you be discussing other people's business in such detail on the world wide web. There is  no confidentiality with you 'cause you want to blow your horn. You need to close your trap. I don't think these people will appreciate that their biz is all over the net
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Orikinla(m): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2006
KD69:

Anybody working with you must be outa their freaking minds. You have no decorum. How can you be discussing other people's business in such detail on the world wide web. There is no confidentiality with you 'cause you want to blow your horn. You need to close your trap. I don't think these people will appreciate that their biz is all over the net

KD69,
I am enjoying the attention you are paying me by chasing after my threads all over the place.

Orikinla is hot topic?
How do you want my autograph?

I am doing everything with their knowledge and approval.

Did anyone of them complain to you errand boy? grin

When Two Africans Woke Up This Morning

http://www.blogwonga.com/blogwonga/read_article/6
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Ndipe(m): 10:54am On Mar 28, 2007
It is not fair to compare our Nollywood stars with Hollywood stars. African actors need to strive to make their act prestigious by organizing their awards that would hold sway in the entertainment world. We don't have to tow the lines of hollywood, while neglecting our culture. This is quite similar to what I discussed in the music forum that Nigerian music are not internationally known, because we incorporate too much of western values in our rhythm.

We have Fespaco, organized in Burkina Faso, which, if we joined hands together would be prestigious. People have the mindset that winning the oscars has confirmed that "you have arrived". We shouldnt look upto the west to validate our acting abilities. We have to rise above such complexes.

Cheers.
Re: Your Nollywood Stars Don't Excite Me by Mustay(m): 1:27am On Apr 22, 2007
At author- you are 1 in a 100 not a million
By d time we stop comparing d westerners with our people, our movie industry 'll be d better.
Like tunde kelani said-
"there was a time i went to a music festival and someone asked me how many movies i had".
When i told him 5, he said "5"!.
" Are they action?"
"No, You can come to my country and you'll get all d action on d streets".
What we need is to stop d copy-catting and be original.
That's y that south african film was nominated for an oscar.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cartoon Network. / A Trip To Jamaica, Another Adventures Of Akpos / Who Is Watching Teen Wolf Season 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.