Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. (3094 Views)

You'll Never Forget To Use Your Seatbelt Even In The Back Seat After Seeing This / What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? / Innoson Motors, Places Nigeria In The List Of Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
Toyota Highlander 2003

Cleaning and drying of cabin carpet and removal of seats.
In my previous DIY thread,
www.nairaland.com/2348129/repair-cabin-heater-function-toyota
I didn't take pictures but I made a promise to take pictures.
Pictures Brekete for this new DIY. grin cheesy

Tools Needed:
Extension rods 2 NO, 'T' bar, 14" socket spanner to loosen the bolts attaching chair to car floor pan.
Clean water, Mild detergent, flexible bristle brush, sponge and clean soft water absorbing rag.

Some weeks ago, I had to use my vehicle to carry drums of water due to maintenance works on FCT waterboard systems. In the course of conveying the water, they spilled so much and the water found their way to my cabin area where they stayed till date despite my opening all doors of the car for a week let them dry.
This caused the car to develop offensive odour and discoloured the rug.

Today I was less busy awaiting one of my nairaland's oga referral client call but I was disappointed. To save the day, I brought out my tools and poured them in my work bucket.
Okay I didn't show how I loosen the 14" bolts. However, I'd expain how its done.

1. Park vehicle in a flat level position, Adjust both front and rear seats to be upright and slide to forward mid distance from the dashboard.
2. Detatch battery terminals from engine bay. Then wait for 5-20minutes to drain any residue power.
3. For front driver's and/or passenger's seat, locate the seatbelt, airbag and motor sockets (if installed) and disconnect them from the main harness located under the seat(s).
4. Remove plastic coverings for the toes (so I call them) of the chairs to reveal the 14" bolts. Each chair have 4 plastic covering at each toe. So you have 4 numbers of 14" bolts.
5. Using 14" ring or combination or flat spanner, undo the 14" bolts holding the chair to the floor pan.
6. Adjust your steering to the upward position, then open the door as wide as it can possibly go, and take the seat out very carefully so as not to damage seat, car paint, or any part of car (take seat out in similar manner for passenger front seat). Note: Seats are heavy so becareful.

8. For back seats, open the boot, detatch toneau cover from the cargo area to a safe place.
9. Remove plastic coverings for rear seat toes, then, loosen 4 numbers of 14" bolts on front toes of rear seat using 14" flat, L, ring or combination spanner.
10. Fold seat back flat and remove a flap which are kept in place by black plastic pins.
11. Locate 4 numbers of 14" bolts and loosen them using the 14" socket spanner with lengths and 'T' joint and carefully removed the folded rear seat from the car. The seats are damn heavy and the car became taller by approximately 4 inches without the seats.
12. Remove all rubber water/jam seals from the pillars, scuff plates and all cladding from the lower side of the B pillar. but if you cut wire here, na your GOBE.
13. Using a good bucket filled to half level with water, add mild shampoo and brush rug gently in circular motion with a soft bristle brush soaked in water shampoo mixture till discolouration disappears. Clean and buff with a soft absorbent dry rag.
Using soft nylon sponge partially soaked in water and wrung, clean off seat surface in circular motion and buff immediately with clean soft absorbent dry rag.
Use supports to hold rugs in suspended position inside vehicle. (To detach the rug and get it out of the vehicle, one would have to remove the whole cargo cladding and centre console which I find stressful).

1 Share

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
After washing

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 31, 2015
More

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 31, 2015
@ least I don busy small like Piyke, Gazzuzz, Siena et al by dismantling motor. Today, I'd still expose it to dry properly, then reinstall all components.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Kashif(m): 8:11am On Jul 31, 2015
lomomike:
@ least I don busy small like Piyke, Gazzuzz, Siena et al by dismantling motor. Today, I'd still expose it to dry properly, then reinstall all components.

And you dey look for building contract, not knowing you are called to be a vehicle laundry man? grin See money oooo!

*runs out of thread*

1 Like

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Piyke: 8:22am On Jul 31, 2015
I sight you Lomomike, cool stuff. cool
How you dey manage with rain at your location? Where I stay I can only try this during the dry season.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 31, 2015
Piyke:
I sight you Lomomike, cool stuff. cool
How you dey manage with rain at your location? Where I stay I can only try this during the dry season.

My brother, I don turn to weather man. I go just observe for slightest hints of clear clouds and make my moves. Today, its raining buckets hence my inability to sun dry it again.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 31, 2015
Kashif:

And you dey look for building contract, not knowing you are called to be a vehicle laundry man? grin See money oooo!

*runs out of thread*

angry sad cheesy grin
In my mind, **Pours a Geepee tank full of water in his car cabin.**

In reality, if I try am oga go kill me before I die grin
Lwkm
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by billy187(m): 9:11am On Jul 31, 2015
Nice one there! Was forced to do a similiar cleanout a month ago after my dumb dog peed in the car. After drowning the car in vinegar; i scrubbed down like a charismatic pastor attacking an 'evil spirit!'

Needless to say-my car still smells like vinegar.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 31, 2015
billy187:
Nice one there! Was forced to do a similiar cleanout a month ago after my dumb dog peed in the car. After drowning the car in vinegar; i scrubbed down like a charismatic pastor attacking an 'evil spirit!'

Needless to say-my car still smells like vinegar.

How did the Vinegar work on the car cleaning?
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by billy187(m): 11:09am On Jul 31, 2015
lomomike:

How did the Vinegar work on the car cleaning?

It reacts with the ammonia in urine to get rid of the terrible smell. I earlier used baking soda to absorb the moisture from the seat as much as possible.

It was very effective though
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
billy187:

It reacts with the ammonia in urine to get rid of the terrible smell. I earlier used baking soda to absorb the moisture from the seat as much as possible.

I got vinegar used in baking, emptied a body spray down the sink, rinsed it thoroughly, and pour the vinegar into the spray bottle which I then used tto spray the car carpet, chairs and AC vents.
Viola! no more foul smells again. cool
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 02, 2015
billy187:

I normally put salt in filter paper and place close to the wet spot or I use silica gel to rid the place of dampness.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by billy187(m): 11:51pm On Aug 02, 2015
lomomike:

I got vinegar used in baking, emptied a body spray down the sink, rinsed it thoroughly, and pour the vinegar into the spray bottle which I then used tto spray the car carpet, chairs and AC vents.
Viola! no more foul smells again. cool

Not even the smell of vinegar? Did you use white vinegar
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by billy187(m): 11:53pm On Aug 02, 2015
lomomike:

I normally put salt in filter paper and place close to the wet spot or I use silica gel to rid the place of dampness.

Salt on filter paper?...now that's genius!!
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 03, 2015
billy187:

Not even the smell of vinegar? Did you use white vinegar

I used white vinegar. Just a very faint smell.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by kingreign(m): 1:32pm On May 20, 2018
good old thread of mine when I was still bearing Lomomike. smiley
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by weyreypey: 3:36pm On May 20, 2018
See instruments...

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Cosplay: 4:47pm On May 20, 2018
weyreypey:
See instruments...

grin

Spot the difference

Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by weyreypey: 4:53pm On May 20, 2018
Cosplay:

grin

Spot the difference
Are you a dentist or an healthcare worker?
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Cosplay: 4:54pm On May 20, 2018
weyreypey:

Are you a dentist or an healthcare worker?

Jack of all trades.

Master of none.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by kingreign(m): 10:05pm On May 20, 2018
just passing by
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by Cosplay: 10:10pm On May 20, 2018
cheesy
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by weyreypey: 10:58pm On May 20, 2018
kingreign:
just passing by
Bia I just acquired a vacuum cleaner for my ride.... Silicon bags are permanently therein.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by kingreign(m): 9:05am On May 21, 2018
weyreypey:

Bia I just acquired a vacuum cleaner for my ride.... Silicon bags are permanently therein.
Nice tool. I dislike in car portable vacuum cleaners I prefer household type cos they have more suction power. And that's what I use to suction all the stuck dust debris and sand grains from their hidden places.
Re: DIY: Seat Removal Wash And Dry Of Car Rug And Seats. by kingreign(m): 9:06am On May 21, 2018
I still miss this Highlander. I saw the car with the new owner some months ago, it looks like shyyte now. Has hits and dings and potty fillers everywhere and the paint job is now inconsistent.

I feel I betray this car by selling her to the new destructive owner. embarassed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Share Your Experiences With Lubex 5w30 Synthetic Oil / Innoson Auto Plant Unveils Truly Nigerian Vehicles / Infiniti G37 Vs Acura Tl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.