Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:15 AM

Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? (47738 Views)

Its Mango Season (see The Wonderful Reasons Why You Need A Mango Everyday) / Why Don't People Eat The First Slice Of Bread / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by osisi2(f): 6:34pm On Mar 19, 2009
cibilola:

kerosene mango? shocked shocked shocked osisi that sounds more dangerous than delicious, tongue

the last mango u described is the best, it's just that teeth-picking after that makes u forget the fun you got from the original mango itself sad sad and the skin of that one is like chewing rubber! angry lipsrsealed

ps: osisi, i know this is completely off-topic but in Edo, ur name means 'gun' shocked shocked do u know that?

Osanobua !!
I like it! grin
tell me it's semi automatic too
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by JJYOU: 6:44pm On Mar 19, 2009
**osisi:

Osanobua !!
I like it! grin
tell me it's semi automatic too
str. nwando, exactly why i never call u by that name. i always wondered why u choose the name cos that is not you.

back to mango, we have always had mango tree in the back yard until its root started to destroy a fence.
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Hauwa1: 8:17pm On Mar 19, 2009
that name na showbanka grin osisi as in gun or osisi as in tree (iroko) or mighty tree. na you biko grin

yeah i like kerosene mango. after taste is wierd though.

i think Sherry is one great mango out of africa. never hook your teeth. what is the english name for it? it is only common in the west right? esp Ibadan. yes!! Ibadan got great Sherry mango. i never got tired of it at all. i miss it so much. it is the best of all mangoes. the mango on the first post is great during summer. just slice off and crunchy yoyo grin

Tpia, i really need to get karma to visit my kitchen cheesy. she go love food.

Do you eat snail @ Tpia
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Epi: 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2009
@cib

Thanks for the reminder, I just send her an email. Also, I am searching the BVI Island Sun archives (this was in '05) for it .

@Hauwa:

Would be nice if you post a pic of that kerosene mango. why? I want to believe we have the same mango but different name.

tpia:

weird, right? cool

Even the orange outer peel is still eaten as marmalade too.

I have some Jamaican Mango Chutney which is too delicious with any kind of meat or fish. Mangoes are going places!!
Oh, ok. I thought you meant eating the orange rinds raw. My mouth is watering for mango tongue

1love
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 10:03pm On Mar 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

that name na showbanka grin osisi as in gun or osisi as in tree (iroko) or mighty tree. na you biko grin

yeah i like kerosene mango. after taste is wierd though.

i think Sherry is one great mango out of africa. never hook your teeth. what is the english name for it? it is only common in the west right? esp Ibadan. yes!! Ibadan got great Sherry mango. i never got tired of it at all. i miss it so much. it is the best of all mangoes. the mango on the first post is great during summer. just slice off and crunchy yoyo grin

Tpia, i really need to get karma to visit my kitchen cheesy. she go love food.

Do you eat snail @ Tpia

Hauwa, u can analyse mango ooo!!! kai cheesy wink starting from the kerosene mango to the sherry mango grin u even gave us the state of origin of the mango, the texture in the mouth and the taste! wink grin shocked

@epi - i will do some research as well, if i see anything about BVI island sun, I will let u know smiley

@ OSISI!!! i think we are family, grin grin grin grin shocked lol
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by SeanT21(f): 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2009
Dont everyone eat the mango skin.I know damn well I do!!
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by mohawkchic(f): 2:42am On Mar 20, 2009
~Nope!~ grin I like my Mango peeled
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 9:43am On Mar 20, 2009
SeanT21:

Dont everyone eat the mango skin.I know damn well I do!!

LOL! grin u are indeed the true son of the soil!! grin grin wink undiluted africana, tongue
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by tpia: 2:45am On Mar 21, 2009
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2009
tpia:

I eat snail oh!

In fact, I was just reading on bbc today, that the Brits are banning snails imported from Nigeria (assuming they werent banned before). The people there better start looking at how to organize snail farms, or else get the tiny ones from France.

banning snails?? oh dear! loads of businesses in London may close down in that case and snails will even be more expensive sad angry Come to think about it. I may start my snail farm here as well, cheesy more money in my pocket,

@tpia i am happy to hear that you not only eat snails, u also research on how they are imported, well done smiley wink
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Nobody: 12:33am On Mar 22, 2009
@Topic. Yes i eat it somtimes when tempted though, bur i gues 4 hygiene sake its nt too gud to eat Mango's skin xpecialy wen purchased frm market women.
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Nobody: 12:36am On Mar 22, 2009
No body made mention of 'Ogbomoso Mango' that my best mango also Breast Mango somtimes.
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by iice(f): 3:48am On Mar 23, 2009
Yeah i eat it sometimes.
I can't believe people don't like mangoes undecided
Men i can eat one bucket in one sitting cheesy So long as it's sweet.
That was my way of passing time on those rainy days back in school - i'd fill a bucket and sit down and dig in grin
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 4:47pm On Mar 23, 2009
brein:

No body made mention of 'Ogbomoso Mango' that my best mango also Breast Mango somtimes.

breast mango embarassed? shocked what the heck is that now oooo?? i have heard of ogbomoso mangoes though, cheesy they are nice tongue wink
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Epi: 3:31am On Mar 25, 2009
brein:

@Topic. Yes i eat it somtimes when tempted though, bur i gues [b]4 hygiene sake its nt too gud to eat Mango's skin xpecialy wen purchased frm market women. [/b]
Mon, once you wash de mango, your good to go. grin grin grin

There is a saying:

Wha nuh kill fatten
When you dead you must rotten grin
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:24am On Mar 26, 2009
I don't like mango oo, u cant eat it in a nice way it tends to be all drippy and yucky. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

and someone on this forum once told me to eat it and the drink garri shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, recipe for disaster. . . . lipsrsealed embarassed

i was yeah, errr. . . thanks but no thanks angry angry tongue
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Nobody: 2:18am On Mar 26, 2009
@iice u're funny.
@cicibola, dont tell me u've never heard of or tasted Breast Mango b4, ask d typical 9jian to tell u more abt it.
I can go on and least a number of 9ja mangos. cheesy
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by No2Atheism(m): 5:04am On Mar 26, 2009
@toyosi20,

@Ebony-silk gave me the main lowdown about u.

I understand and accept my fate for coming into the picture far far far too late in time.

I requested ur facebook and yahoo id from her but she said i should ask u directly.

I am now asking : can i kindly have ur facebook and yahoo id pls .
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by iice(f): 10:15am On Mar 26, 2009
TOYOSI20:

I don't like mango oo, u cant eat it in a nice way it tends to be all drippy and yucky. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

and someone on this forum once told me to eat it and the drink garri shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, recipe for disaster. . . . lipsrsealed embarassed

i was yeah, errr. . . thanks but no thanks angry angry tongue

Yeah with garri is nice.

what i used to do was to hit the mango against the wall till its all soft and juicy, then prick it and suck the juice.
School made mango juice cheesy
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 11:17am On Mar 26, 2009
No2Atheism:

@toyosi20,

@Ebony-silk gave me the main lowdown about u.

I understand and accept my fate for coming into the picture far far far too late in time.

I requested ur facebook and yahoo id from her but she said i should ask u directly.

I am now asking : can i kindly have ur facebook and yahoo id pls .

u guys re exchanging details for dating? na wa oooo! grin
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 11:27am On Mar 26, 2009
brein:

@iice u're funny.
@cicibola, dont tell me u've never heard of or tasted Breast Mango b4, ask d typical 9jian to tell u more abt it.
I can go on and least a number of 9ja mangos. cheesy

i haven't heard about breast mangoes oooo, undecided and i spent most of my schooling years in 9ja as well,
oh well i am looking forward to having some boobs mangoes this summer when i go to 9ja!! hurray!!! grin grin grin
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:52am On Mar 26, 2009
Yes i do,i eat the Skin of a Mango fruit,except the seed.lol
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by No2Atheism(m): 8:11pm On Mar 26, 2009
cibilola:

u guys re exchanging details for dating? na wa oooo! grin

1. No, it is not for dating.

2. She's already taken (i.e she's in a relationship meaning she is now labelled with 'thou shalt not touch')

3. No, it is not an exchange, it is a request to Toyosi20, which means she at liberty to deny the request.

4. Yes, I also dislike the natural mango fruit (too messy) ,  i prefer the packed mango drink
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by mohawkchic(f): 9:24pm On Mar 26, 2009
iice:

Yeah with garri is nice.

what i used to do was to hit the mango against the wall till its all soft and juicy, then prick it and suck the juice.
School made mango juice cheesy

~ cheesy I so loved sucking out the mango juice without peeling . . grin I get it all sofy & Juicy by rubbing the mango inbetween my palms cheesy . . There was a specific type of mango i loved eating that way . . Yellow looking Fresh Pick like pic attached grin

~I still cant get my head round some of Y'll eating the skin or eating mango w/ garri shocked tongue

Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Epi: 11:40pm On Mar 26, 2009
iice:

what i used to do was to hit the mango against the wall till its all soft and juicy, then prick it and suck the juice. cheesy
  My Lord, i thought only caribbean folks "hit"  the mango against wall to make it soft grin grin grin.  Only one thing, we don't say hit - we say "pung de mango on de wall" grin grin

@mohawk

Re your pic, we call them round-short mangoes.  Why? they are round and short cheesy cheesy.  God, I am here thinking back of the mango juice running down my chin, out the corners of my mouth and down my arms     Mekk me want to go home  tongue tongue mm mmm tongue tongue
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Epi: 12:16am On Mar 27, 2009
@cib

Sorry, my mum can't put her hands on that article but I found this.   Its a nice read! enjoy!  Btw, I am the 3rd (in red) mango eater

Blissfully eating mangoes
http://www.antiguasun.com

Ahhhhhh mango season!

Mango season is here, trees all around are in various stages- some still blossoming, others in full bloom and laden! Mango season brings up profound and significant issues, such as…what’s the best way to eat a mango? I’ve decided that the world can be divided into three types of mango eaters – there are those who squeeze and suck, those who slice and dice, and those who make a full body commitment. It all comes down to: how messy do you want to get?

The squeeze and suck – squeeze the unpeeled mango all over making is very soft. The squeezing turns the pulp to juice. Once the mango is properly softened all around, bite the tip (the opposite end of the stem), immediately the juice will be evident, put the mango to your mouth and start sucking on it. It is a matter of squeezing and sucking the juice, this way, your hands are clean and so is your mouth, there’s no mango juice lingering anywhere. Now some people do one of two things here when all the juice has been sucked out of the mango, they simply discard it while others rip the skin apart to get to the seed and suck on it before throwing it away.

The slice and dice – armed with a paring knife and a plate, the two sides of the mangoes are sliced and one of two ways of eating takes place here. First, the sliced sides, one at a time is eaten by putting the flesh side to your mouth, sinking your teeth into it and then moving the slice downward as your teeth releases the pulp from the skin. This continues with the slice being turned all around to ensure that all the pulp is removed and eaten. Attention is then turned to the seed with the surrounding pulp; the band of skin is removed by biting and peeling it back with your teeth, once removed, bite into the mango all around. Eating it this way gets your hand moistened with the juice.

The other way to eat a mango in this section is to score the two sides of the mango once sliced. You know, take the knife and cut lengthways and then crossways, peel back the skin slightly and reveal the perfect little cubes of mango. Using the knife, the cubed bits of mango are removed and eaten. When it comes to the seed, the surrounding flesh is sliced, skin removed with the knife and eaten. No sucking of the seed here. Your hands will only be slightly moistened with the juice of the mango.

The total body commitment – now this is where inhibitions are cast aside and one really gets down to work devouring the mango. No knives, no plate, all you need is the mango. The mango is held with both hands, brought to your mouth and skinned with your bare teeth revealing its deep-orange, sweet, fruity, juicy pulp. As you bite into the mango, it covers your mouth and depending on how big the mango is and how you are holding it, part of it even touches the tip of your nose! Your hands are wet with mango juice, some of it running through your fingers and if you are a kid, the juice could be running all down your little arm. When you’re finished eating a mango this way, you really need to clean up – the hands, around the mouth, the chin and the nose. Heck you might even have to change your top if any of the juice fell on it.

Now all this talking about the various ways of eating mangoes begs the question: How does Cynthia eat her mango? I’m in the slice and dice category, but with a little more slice than dice. This way, I get the best of all three ways I think, I get to slice, I get to remove the pulp with my teeth and I get to suck on the mango seed!

I tend to get fussy when choosing my mangoes to eat, while they should be fully ripe, I want them to be firm. I don’t like them bruised with soft spots. In terms of varieties, I am no expert but what I do know is that I don’t like the mangoes where the pulp is stringy; I don’t want to have to floss every time I eat a mango!

My favourite by far is the Julie Mango, the one where the skin is red when ripened. And then there is another variety which my mom refers to as Spice mango, it’s round and when ripe the skin is orange than yellow. That is not to say that I do not enjoy the long mango that we get also but the Julie and Spice mangoes are my favourites.

To each his own, but frankly, I can’t think of a fruit that is more perfect than a ripe, juicy mango and we are so blessed to have this fruit grow abundantly, in variety, in our part of the world. Well, so much so that when one travels abroad and a dish on the menu says it Caribbean, what they mean is that the plate is adorned with a couple slices of mango. That’s what some have reduced or cuisine to! But I’ll save that rant for another time.

I believe that mangoes are best enjoyed naturally, I’ve even taken to light sprinkling Fleur de Sel (a highly prized French sea salt) onto my mangoes, doing this heightens the sweetness of the mango as it contrasts with the salt. I think any good sea salt or finishing salt would work well here but don’t use the regular table salt, the salinity (saltiness) is too high and would distort rather than enhance and heighten the flavour and sweetness of the mango.

I’d like to encourage you, after you’ve eaten mangoes to your heart’s content to try making things with them: ice creams, sorbets, smoothies, soufflés, drinks, sauces, crepes, salsas etc. Cook it with seafood or chicken. And don’t forget to capitalize on the mangoes in their un-ripened state to make achar, sour, chutney or curry. However you eat it and whatever you make, enjoy the mango season!
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by mohawkchic(f): 3:51am On Mar 27, 2009
epi:

@mohawk

Re your pic, we call them round-short mangoes.  Why? they are round and short cheesy cheesy.  God, I am here thinking back of the mango juice running down my chin, out the corners of my mouth and down my arms     Mekk me want to go home  tongue tongue mm mmm tongue tongue

~ Aaaw memories like these does have a way of making one long for home & those moments again!!

~We call them Fresh Pick its not usually this yellow whe its picked,but after a week,it gets this yellow & extra yummy . . .i mark out a tiny bit w/ my teeth so i dont get the Juice running down my arm cheesy

~Its enlightening knowing different names we have for mango's depending on our origin!read quite a few intersting names . . . .here's some i remember

~Rope Rope ~[/b]This mango is really sweet but it  has lots of "ropes" that gets stuck in your teeth . .i find that so annoying,i just dont bother grin

[b]~Sheep Toe ~
This is one of my fav. . .the tip is arched & it size is smaller than the average mango

~Labayroo~ The shape is long

~Guniea Mango~ This mango is huge,Juicy. . .usually either green & red or just Green/Red . .another of my fav. . very good w/ salads . .the pic  of the mango on the OP first post certainly does look like Guinea Mango  undecided

~My Descriptions prolly suck tongue I'll see if i can find pics of them online
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by cibilola(f): 8:43am On Mar 27, 2009
@ EPI, thanks kiss ever so much for the article!! it was very enlightening cheesy

i think i know what category to place my self now, that will be the 'total body committment'. i just [b]descend on the mango like there is no 2moro [/b] or as my granny says, "as if that is the last mango available in the market". grin grin

i always leave the skin out but suck on the seed until it is as white as snow grin cool then start picking my teeth sad sad

i had some mangoes yesterday from sainsburys, i was not impressed angry
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by iice(f): 3:35pm On Mar 27, 2009
Mc, those mangoes look delicious!! cheesy cheesy

@Epi, pung de mango grin Got it.
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by mohawkchic(f): 8:35pm On Mar 27, 2009
~All this chat chat about mango got me longing for some grin

Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by SeanT21(f): 10:30pm On Mar 27, 2009
In Liberia our mangoes are called Plums.We have 2 type:Country Plum and German Plum. Country plum is the best.U can suck the Juice out of it and chew it down.My grandmother had it in her backyard.

In Liberia during rainy season is when the plums are everywhere.I remember people in my neighborhood used to get up so early so they can get the best plums.Come see me waking up in the morning to get the best juicy plums.I used to eat some and sell the rest.

We had plum trees everywhere in our yard.We used to be sleeping at night and hear the plum fall on the house ceiling and roll down unto the yard.

hmm,MEMORIES~~~
Re: Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:49pm On Mar 27, 2009
many many Mango eaters in the House, shocked i supprise o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recipes For The Fruitful Home / ABCs Of Cake Making / Why Is My Fondant Breaking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.