Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,428 members, 7,954,671 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:45 AM

Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? (4052 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / Why Do Nigerian Ladies Grow Out Of Shape When Married? / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by passionate88: 8:01pm On Aug 21, 2015
efemenaslectura:
1 . Because of itoro kind of children who cause pain and chaos in the family (people have seen the movie itoro will understand)

2.when the child grows up and becomes successful he will put you secondary or abandon and start looking for his lost parents and start taking care of them. And the moment you remind them remember I was there for you when no one was there for you he won't hesitate to remind you that you are not his mother so you have no right to tell me what to do

3 . society will still abuse you that you are still barren with the line ofomoolomo shey omo while you don't have yours

4 . When you die and you will your properties to the adopted child, that is the end of your generation. The money would be transferred to another family. The koko is that you just laboured for another person's child to sit down and eatu

5.as a woman an adopted child won't satisfy your maternal cravings. You will still feel unhappy and depressed once in a while knowing he's biologically not yours even though he's legally yours. Just like when you are thirsty and you are given everything except water, no matter how beautiful the child is you will still want yours

6.what is not yours is not yours and society will continually remind you of that . your husband your adopted child won't be spared either

7. Do you understand

God go bless you till you tire for the blessings....
As for me, if I am medically unfit to impregnate a woman, I will adopt my brother's child as mine... I have never craved / wish to get married .... I like being with people I trust.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 22, 2015
passionate88:

As for me, if I am medically unfit to impregnate a woman, I will adopt my brother's child as mine... I have never craved / wish to get married .... I like being with people I trust.

You never craved or wished to get married because you feel you can't pregnant a woman?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 22, 2015
for I know life itself is vanity. One day, I will leave everything behind and go to my maker. Again, why the headache?

I wish people would start thinking like this. Once you die, you die. The matters of this world are no longer your concerns. why then would you make a big fuss about life undecided. A child is a child, if you make up your mind to love and care for it for like your child you are indeed going to feel like parent.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 22, 2015
[quote author=efemenaslectura post=36526951]

1 . Because of itoro kind of children who cause pain and chaos in the family (people have seen the movie itoro will understand)

That is bullshit. You have the option of Child psychologist for a troubled child. You will not be jut helping yourself, you will also be making te society a better place

2.when the child grows up and becomes successful he will put you secondary or abandon and start looking for his lost parents and start taking care of them. And the moment you remind them remember I was there for you when no one was there for you he won't hesitate to remind you that you are not his mother so you have no right to tell me what to do

Oops! Why shouldn't he look for his biological parents in fact you should be the one doing it. The kids needs to know who his parents and relatives are. You will have eliminated that conflict if you had taking care of it right form the start. his happens when you have been a bad parent. It is the same scenario some single mother face when their kids are older, the kids might end up loving the absentee dad who was never there. There is no smoke without fire, therefore the mother must have done or said something to the kids to raise doubts about her. Whether she was there for them or not is inconsequential

3 . society will still abuse you that you are still barren with the line ofomoolomo shey omo while you don't have yours

It depend on you and on your ideals.

4 . When you die and you will your properties to the adopted child, that is the end of your generation. The money would be transferred to another family. The koko is that you just laboured for another person's child to sit down and eatu

The living worries, the dead do not, if you know you are going to die someday, and when you are dead you stop worrying. Don't you think it is stupid to worry unnecessarily while you are alive. A wise person would worry about contributing his quota, making his society a better place for HIS sake. Furthermore, A child is a child. There is no such thing as another child if you had wholeheartedly decided to care of it. Although genetics might differ, he will shave certain characteristics of yours, people will compare the similarities between you two.

5.as a woman an adopted child won't satisfy your maternal cravings. You will still feel unhappy and depressed once in a while knowing he's biologically not yours even though he's legally yours. Just like when you are thirsty and you are given everything except water, no matter how beautiful the child is you will still want yours
How would you know? You have simply assumed that they would feel depressed because that is how you think barren women should feel undecided. it is not in your place to feel for them.

6.what is not yours is not yours and society will continually remind you of that . your husband your adopted child won't be spared either

The society will talk about anything. If they do not talk about what is not yours they will something to say about what is yours. Either way, the society will talk about you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by passionate88: 8:55am On Aug 22, 2015
EggovinMma:

You never craved or wished to get married because you feel you can't pregnant a woman?
Not because if that.. I just don't like the way most girls reason
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2015
passionate88:
Not because if that.. I just don't like the way most girls reason

Then look for the few once that reason well and start another phase of life.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by efemenaslectura: 4:34am On Aug 24, 2015
[quote author=oreos post=37210177][/quote] efemenaslectura has spoken!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by efemenaslectura: 4:35am On Aug 24, 2015
passionate88:

amen jare
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by quintybabee(f): 1:50pm On Oct 07, 2015
Personally I feel couple having challenges in child bearing should adopt but the problem with some people is that if God eventually bless them with a child they will abandon d adopted child or more like maltreat the child. If you know you cant love another person child like yours then please do not adopt.
It is the love you show to a child that makes them feel like part of a family. We have seen cases where the biological children doubt the paternity of their parent bcoz of the way they treat them. so it's not a question of biological or adopted but the love that you show to a child.
Am not of the opnion that one should keep the fact that a child is adopted a secret for life. It important you let a child know when you know they are mature enough to handle it coz if you dont and they get to know it might cause serious problem and in some cases permanent seperation from the child. Tell the child then you know they are old enough to know and If they choose to look for their biological parent, pls be supportive and dont feel betrayed. There is nobody who wont want to know their origin, so it is only normal that a child will like to know who his biological parent are. Let the child know it not only blood that binds a family together, Love is another strong factor which is even more powerful than blood. Blood is thicker than water but love is the supreme.
I dont think it good to let a child grow up with the notion that they stand to inherite any property from their parent. It is a child character that will determine If you will give leave anything, biological or adopted, if a child proves to have the tendency of being accountable, then you should but if not it is not a must. I was brought up with the notion that as a child dont depend on your parent achievement. I have never thought of inheriting my dad's property but to have my own. So i see nothing in property and i intend to train my children that way too.
I love adoption and i see nothing in it even though the society doesnt support. My opinion aboption Is clear and I dont hide it from anyone that i date. I make sure i tell them that I want to whether we are able to make babies or not.
It is only when you adopt for the wrong reason that you find it difficult to raise another person's child but if u are doing it out of love for another human being then you will not regret it. Love is the basis of adoption not childlessness or delay in child birth.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 07, 2015
It's expensive to adopt na.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by awakon(m): 2:37pm On Oct 07, 2015
Nigerians are not used to adoption. There is a tradition that believes that blood is thicker than water
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Wokeyim(f): 9:53pm On Oct 09, 2015
I see nothing wrong with adoption and i'm seriously looking that route in future. I really do not care about what people will have to say anyway because people will always have something to say.

Hubby is not too comfy with the idea but I still have a lot of time to work on him. Giving a homeless child life and love is the best thing one can do on earth and as a poster said if we can bring home and train our relatives kids, why can't we do same for a child who even really has nowhere else to turn to?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Naomi28: 12:10am On Jan 23, 2016
Am Naomi from edo state Nigeria. boyfriend abandoned me with pregnancy' am a student with no assistant, I need help and a loving couple to parent my child. Email me if u can help or interested... Kecysolo31@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by Naomi28: 12:19am On Jan 23, 2016
Hi, am Naomi' a student from edo state Nigeria. Boyfriend abandoned me with pregnancy, I don't have the resource to care for a child cause am still schooling and hardly survive. I need help and loving couple to parent my child. Interested persons can contact me on 08067613095... Email, kecysolo31@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? by itstpia8: 5:46am On May 23, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Her Big Virginity Mistake! / 9 Commonest Resons Newly Weds Don't Have Sex On Their Wedding Night / Wedding Of The Year, Hit Or Miss,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.