Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar (7628 Views)

Igbo Grammar Questions / New World Order! / Atyap People: A Kaduna Minority group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 4:24am On Aug 20, 2015
nwanlecha:
Please count me in 'cause i am equally as passionate about the Igbo language. Nothing will give me greater joy than to see our language being mentioned in line with other international languages like French, English, Mandarin, etc. Take not cognizance of the naysayers because people are known to resist whatever they are not used to. One person can make a move that can change the world you know? So ride on brother, your work is greatly appreciated.

My pleasure. Thanks.
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by Phut(f): 4:31am On Aug 20, 2015
Scholti, I am saddened by the seeming, direction of this thread. You know I have been on this thread since day one, cheering you on. But I have to say this: No one knows it all. No one! As you are knowledgeable, so are there many other knowledgeable people on Nairaland and the fact is that if two, three or four people put their heads together, they will come up with a more superior product than one person working alone.

You have established that an affix can have meaning all by itself. But the question is, does it matter if it's an affix or verb agglutination? How much time do you spend arguing that as opposed to getting on with the work at hand? Do you know that fresh eyes see what you may not see, even if you go over the text a hundred times?
In the last page or so, I would say nobody out rightly rejected your ideas. Some suggestions were made as to why some of your affixes should be changed to familiar words which already exist in the language. But in each instance, you just argued that yours was better. Do you expect your suggestions to be adopted without a single change? Even those seeking to adapt a language must be themselves, adaptable.

Now we have ChinenyeN saying that you are both in the same boat but rowing in different directions. His response was gracious but I have to tell you that it is a waste when a knowledgeable person decides to sit at the sidelines. It doesn't matter how many knowledgeable people you think you have. The fact is that you can never have too many.

Don't think I am picking upon you. You are the thread starter. This is your love child, isn't it? So you have to work even harder to bring people together and see it come to fruition.
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by ezeagu(m): 4:33am On Aug 20, 2015
scholti:

The reason most scientific words in English are of Latin and Greek origins (50-55% of English words are of Latin origin) is tied intimately to the status of Latin in England (and Europe). England was conquered and ruled by the Normans, a French-speaking group, for centuries, who introduced floods of Latin-based words through French. French was used in high society. (Latin had inherited Greek learning in antiquity.) The same thing applies to all romance languages. They were once pidgins of Latin. The Igbo language has only been in intimate contact with English for less than 200 years, it isn't in the same socio-political situation that English was vis a vis French, Greek and Latin. When Igbos borrow from English they do so because they have no choice. There isn't a proper word base nor is there a refurbished grammar. Sure the Japanese has adopted words from English but they have also created plenty of local equivalents. No language sits back and allows every word enter the language unless specific historical examples like English and the romance languages. Languages borrow and create. Today robust languages find native words for many words.

When I write that nobody speaks Igbo well, I mean that the grammar and vocabulary do not permit the full expression of the sciences, politics, economics etc. The Igbo language doesn't allow serious communication (only in low-hitting areas.) The Igbo language needs the full and new vigour of fresh affixes covering every aspect of human life, to marry with the old.

I know English has a history with those languages, but I was talking about more recent words formed after the Normans had long gone. Words like physics, television, and telephone were all deliberately taken from Greek. And it took less than 50 years for English to go into the background when the Normans came.

Anyway. I agree that Igbo needs new words.
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by Phut(f): 4:50am On Aug 20, 2015
What I think you should have done is work with them to standardize the affixes we already have in Igbo. ChinenyeN mentioned an already existing affix for "able" as well as the letter "s".

There is a methodology to using the already existing affixes. Find out that methodology that yields the expected result in every given instance and then make it part of the rules of Igbo grammar (kind of like BODMAS).

Then where the grammar is insufficient, you add on your extra layer. Affix o! Verb agglutination o! It doesn't matter.

People will not accept change for change sake. After you come up with these affixes, how are you going to disseminate the information? Is it through the classroom? What about the middle age or old people who will not see the four walls of a classroom, again? If the young people do learn, how will they communicate with the older generation or will there be a chasm between them? That is why it's important to not throw things out wholesale, unless absolutely, necessary.

Are you going to disseminate the info via TV, radio etc. Well you will need an army be it script/screen writers, people that are good at animation, to create cartoons and write the shows that you need. So the earlier you get as many people on board the better.

If Igbo were the lingua Franca of a country it would be much easier. All you would have to do is get in the presidents ear and once he or she directs that this is the way it's going to go, then it's basically a done deal (yeah! Yeah! Oversimplification I know, but you get my point). Unfortunately, our situation is different so all I am going to stress is cooperation and more cooperation
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 5:08am On Aug 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Scholti, I see your vision. In fact, the majority of your objective makes sense to me and I agree with it. Now, I don't exactly disagree with the other aspects of your vision. I just find them unnecessary. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how I feel, or you feel or anyone feels, because here's what we all know to be true: Whatever people see, learn to use and use actively will be what will perpetuate through time.

I can use my family as a case-in-point. We've taken up to using Ngwa for anything we can at home, and I mean anything. If we come across something that we either can't recall an expression for or there doesn't exist an expression for, then we make the effort of quickly constructing something and then moving on. Some quick constructs fade back to oblivion, and some persist and have expanded our vocabulary considerably. However, not all newly introduced lexical items were well-received.

For example, a new class of grammatical adverbs was introduced in our speech. Unlike most Igbo adverb classes, which qualify verbs, this class qualifies nouns. So, it's a bit atypical. The introduction of this class of adverb also led to a change in grammatical structure for the verb construction. This was not liked by the adults when it was first introduced, but those of us who are younger liked it and used it. It's now an active part of our speech, and it has allowed us more versatility of expression and in a more compact way. In fact, this adverb class has turned out to be so functional that it's hard to imagine the next generation of our family not using it.

Basically, feel free to push forward with your objective. At the very least, I would still be interested in seeing and reading whatever it is you eventually end up with, regardless of whether or not it turns out as successfully as you would hope. Keep us informed, and if you want opinions, there are definitely people here who wouldn't mind giving them to you. I definitely encourage that you post here or create a mailing list/group that willing people can subscribe to.

In Ngwa we have a saying: o buu ohna mgbutighta ovo chekpo (it's not everyone that has the capacity to kill and cure an ovo bird) A lofty vision typically remains in the mind and hands of the person envisioning it, until it picks up off the ground. I'd know. I'm in a similar boat as you, just not paddling in the same direction. cheesy

Thanks for your words and advices. The Igbo language is a dynamic language. I look forward to seeing an Ngwa dictionary in print and buying one. I believe that Izugbe must properly reconcile with the Igbo dialects as a vital part of it, in grammar and vocabulary. Plenty creates energy.
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by ChinenyeN(m): 6:16am On Aug 20, 2015
No, Phut. It's not like that at all. I understand just as much as anyone what it's like to take on a large project and have a vision in your head that you want to share. That's simply what Scholti has done. I'm currently experiencing that with my own linguistic project, and that's why I said that I'm in a similar boat as Scholti. Beyond that, I also believe in giving people room to develop and guide their work as they deem fit. The early stages of a project are critical in the mind of the visionary. They need to control those. No one else can do it for them, and if someone does, it quite literally can spoil the work in their eyes.

nwanlecha:
You know that i can actually be sold in your Ngwa dialect and i would be smiling from ear to ear not knowing what is going on? To be honest, i sometimes still marvel at the complexity of the Igbo language.
mm, i didighi hutu he o bu to. cheesy I've even been kind this entire discussion, writing in the Onwu orthography, standardized grammar and not using my own village lect. Anyway, yea. Igbo is complex, beautiful and capable of much, and I believe it can be moved forward as it is. That's not to say that I will discourage anyone else from trying anything different. If that different angle creates a good product, it'll likely get appropriated.

Scholti, there actually is an Ngwa-English wordlist/dictionary. It's rudimentary, but a second edition is being produced currently as a much larger and comprehensive work. There are also some PhD books on Ngwa lect, done by Ngwa linguists, as well as other smaller academic articles on various aspects of morphology and syntax. With the way Igbo people currently treat Igbo, I doubt Izugbe will ever be reconciled with the lects. Instead, what might happen is that people will forget their lects and eventually only know Izugbe. But, because Izugbe is a weakened version of many lects, we will again see those same people who forget their lects and now speak Izugbe turn around to say that "Igbo is insufficient." grin

1 Like

Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by Phut(f): 7:05am On Aug 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:
No, Phut. It's not like that at all. I understand just as much as anyone what it's like to take on a large project and have a vision in your head that you want to share. That's simply what Scholti has done. I'm currently experiencing that with my own linguistic project, and that's why I said that I'm in a similar boat as Scholti. Beyond that, I also believe in giving people room to develop and guide their work as they deem fit. The early stages of a project are critical in the mind of the visionary. They need to control those. No one else can do it for them, and if someone does, it quite literally can spoil the work in their eyes
Okay, Chinenye. I hear you
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by melzabull(f): 10:12am On Aug 20, 2015
waow! Phut I commend you guys for your efforts and vast knowledge of the Igbo language. At this point i have to confess that I am not as proficient or verse as you guys in the use of Igbo language. Nonetheless I appreciate your efforts at sustaining the rich Igbo language, culture and tradition.

Kudos to you all.

@Phut I have no idea dearie, perhaps ChinenyeN, Scholti, ezeagu metal can help with that....lol smiley
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:
No, Phut. It's not like that at all. I understand just as much as anyone what it's like to take on a large project and have a vision in your head that you want to share. That's simply what Scholti has done. I'm currently experiencing that with my own linguistic project, and that's why I said that I'm in a similar boat as Scholti. Beyond that, I also believe in giving people room to develop and guide their work as they deem fit. The early stages of a project are critical in the mind of the visionary. They need to control those. No one else can do it for them, and if someone does, it quite literally can spoil the work in their eyes.

mm, i didighi hutu he o bu to. cheesy I've even been kind this entire discussion, writing in the Onwu orthography, standardized grammar and not using my own village lect. Anyway, yea. Igbo is complex, beautiful and capable of much, and I believe it can be moved forward as it is. That's not to say that I will discourage anyone else from trying anything different. If that different angle creates a good product, it'll likely get appropriated.

Scholti, there actually is an Ngwa-English wordlist/dictionary. It's rudimentary, but a second edition is being produced currently as a much larger and comprehensive work. There are also some PhD books on Ngwa lect, done by Ngwa linguists, as well as other smaller academic articles on various aspects of morphology and syntax. With the way Igbo people currently treat Igbo, I doubt Izugbe will ever be reconciled with the lects. Instead, what might happen is that people will forget their lects and eventually only know Izugbe. But, because Izugbe is a weakened version of many lects, we will again see those same people who forget their lects and now speak Izugbe turn around to say that "Igbo is insufficient." grin

I found an Ngwa dictionary on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Okwu-Ngwa-Dictionary-Victor-Nwosu/dp/1482018675/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440082199&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ngwa+dictionary+igbo). I believe that the reconciliation of the dialects and Izugbe, would come initially (with a good dictionary on the side, whether online or bookform) through robustly written platforms like newspapers, until their words and grammars are integrated and popularized in the Igbo language.
Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 4:02am On Sep 03, 2015
I wrote that I would be releasing a list of affixes. Here it is- 971 affixes (find the MsWord document below; I can't post it here because this site doesn't allow the delineation Word allows). The delay was caused by my not wanting to release a rushwork. I took time in translating passages from three international languages across different layers of usages, scientific, literary, political etc into Igbo to test the new affixes I am introducing. This work also doubles as a mini-dictionary because I coined many words (find a sample list below). Of these affixes only 20 - of which ten are science-related - are outright inventions (below). That means that over 900 affixes here are Igbo words as well as 98% of the coinages.

In this work I have provided alternatives in Igbo to English affixes and to a minor extent, roots (although the two are somewhat intertwined). I believe that it is by unravelling the affixes of the English language that the Igbo language can create vocabularies in all sections of knowledge, the sciences, politics etc; and in the process engender a language that is truly laddered, subtle and responds effectively to all registers of language. I am happy to announce that I have accomplished it with these affixes, for there is no English affix of Greek or Latin origin,- where the vast majority of English words come from - that I have not touched directly or indirectly. I have touched a few of them indirectly because their extant meanings in English have strayed from their origins. In your hands now, is a complete programme that is capable of translating any genre of written work into Igbo, as well as creating original works.

Why are the affixes necessary? The Igbo language is a vast and beautiful language, but it dwells in a vastly different age, where it must adapt. Its grammar, whether the Izugbe or dialects cannot accurately communicate the sciences, politics, philosophy etc as it is. It needs some remoulding to enable it function in this new environment. Yes the changes would bring some obvious 'unnaturalness' to its grammar but it is worth it. There is no international language on earth that hasn't reworked its grammar to arrive at the stage it is - Chinese, Japanese, English, French etc. These 971 affixes hold the key to truly positioning the Igbo language as a serious language of knowledge and usage.

Here are are the 20 invented affixes. They are not capricious inventions; they answer to serious needs in their various areas. They were invented because the existing Igbo words for them are overburdened with other functions or they do not quite define them or do so in a circuitous/non-efficient way. For example the word 'igwe' is used to define several metal types, when it properly means 'iron.' Here are the ten scientific ones I invented (1) kazi= -tome, (2) azi=toxic (3) macha=friction (4) reje= virus (5) ozen- meter (6) zym=gid (7) taxi=tesi (9) metal=igomi (10) warm = ron.

The ones for more general usage I invented are: (1) -vo (-s); (2) -vi ('er', 'or'); (3) -omi (-ism); (4) -am (-ing); (5) -ogi (-ic); (6) -disi (various); (7) opan- (for electronic/ technological devices) (cool zini for -arium (a place or container): herbarium (ziniahihia); terrarium (ziniala) (9) sidi=ville 10) -oid= ini i.e Indoid would be Indini

I will briefly touch on some of the ones I invented. The suffix '-vi' serves non-committal roles (or nationalities) for humans or non-humans i.e swimmer (mmirivi), pedestrian (okwu), contributor (nyerevi), transitor (nyefevi) narrator (akukovi)
projector (nnupuvi), originator (ebesivi).

'-vo' serves as plural to complement the existing native plurals in tight situations. The ancient Chinese proverb, 'One happiness shatters a thousand sorrows would translate as, 'Otu ọnọduaṅuri na-egbujisịkwa iriujuvo puku.'

'-omi' stands for '-ism' : Leninism (Leninomi), Marxism (Maksiomi).
'-siti' stands for '-ist' when refered to non humans i.e 'the Platonist belief' (nkwekwe Platositi)

'oz-' is a reversive affix - 'un', 'dis', de - and it is there to complement some of the native words (and affixes), I have commandeered like 'nsepu' and 'nseda' for reversals. For example the statement, 'it is unwarranted,' would be, 'Ọ dighi [b]ozọ[/b]ọchọwo.' The 'oz-' serves as a reversal. Now a person can say, 'Ọ dighi mma,'; but this is a simple/colloquial register that doesn't flow or capture the register, 'unwarranted' operates in. This strikes at the heart of what I am doing here as apart from creating new words and introducing new grammatical elements into the Igbo language, I want to further dimensionalize the language.

The are certain Igbo words that I stretched their meanings to produce new words, for instance I have appropriated the word 'akwa' to mean essence i.e akwandu (vital); ditto for the word 'eze' which connotes royalty, I have extended it to mean 'grand' or as an affix for the Greek affix 'magni-' i.e magnanimous – ezenyeaka; grandiloquent = ezeọnunrubeokwu; magnificent - ezeìhè; magnate= ezeaku; Magna Carta- ezeiwu; magniloquent – ezengalaokwu; magnificence = ezeebube; Magnum = ezeibu. I have also extended the word 'nne' to refer to roles refering to females of whatever age i.e dikenne (heroine). This would particular come in handy in dealing with gender-heavy languages.

I have translated a list of more than 400 scientific instruments with affixes I have generated here as well as translated the first few paragraphs of the Plato article on Wikipedia to demonstrate the interplay between the new and old grammars. https://ig.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato. I would post the 400+ instruments on a new page.

consanguinity = mmekoritaobara
Consarcination= nkpakoritauwe
1 extravert (ọnọputaezi),
2 introvert (ọnọkpuruime)
3.tangible (purummetuta),
4 contiguous (ndiketerita)
5 contagious (nfekọrita),
6 contingent (okpuruhere)
7 contigent = okpuruohere
8 preposition=tupuọkwa
9 premature =tupuọchaaracha
10 Petrochemicals= mmanugbanweta
11 Archaeoastronomy- nzaefeigwegbo
12 Glitterati - ìgwèchataza
13 audio-visual = udaanya
14 Basioccipital - ntọalaazuisi

15 Cryptobiosis - nzouzondu
16 electrocardiograph- edeseobi
17 Cerebrum – uburubua
18 Cerebrospinal - uburuahiriazu
19 cinematograph - nzankiri
20 helichrysum - rueleodoodo
21 Hispanophile - ọmasihispani
22 Hyperventilates - nkumeoke
23 hypothesis- okpuruntule
24 Hypocrite- ọkaọma
25 Ibero-French = iberifrenchi
26 Iconostasis= eguzooyiri
27 icosidodecahedron= akukuiriabua
28 Inexpensive= adighi ọnu
29 Infertile= adighimuba
30 Inarticulate – adiokpukpu
31  Invariable = apurumeiche
32 Inattention = apuruchedouche
33 Inexpensive= adighi ọnu
34 Infertile= adighimuba
35 Inarticulate – adiokpukpu/ọnu
 36 Invariable = apurumeiche
37 Inattention = apuruchedouche
38 Insensitivity= apughinezili
39 Incapacity= apughiikike
40 Illegitimate= adighiiwu
41 Illiberal= adighifelele
42 Imbalance= adighinhara
43 Immoral= adighieziome
44 Impossible= apughiome
45 Irrational= adighiucheezi
46 Irregular= apughinọrouto
47 Incantation = ngayeabu
48 Incarcerate= gayenanpọrọ
49  Indoctrinate= ngayeokwuugha
50 Infect= gayeọya
51 inundate.= gayemmiri
52  insight= ngayeanya
53 intake = gayenaolu
54 Infrastructure = ndokoopkuuru
55 Infrared= uhieopkuru
56 Infrasound= udaokpuru
57 Infrarenal=okpuruakụrụ
58 Intercept = nwereetiti
59 Internecine ogbugbuetiti
60 Intercontinental= mmekongbakoala
61 Interfaith= mmekookwukwe
62 Interwar= etitiagha
63 Intercom= etitinkata
 64 Interface= mmekoihu
65  Internet- mmekoọru/nkekọta/ngigauwa
66 Interoperate= nrukọru
67 Intermarry= nnukọta
68 Interglacial= etitiebubeoyi
69 International= etitiobodo/ mmekọobodo
70 Interdependent=nnọrọonwe
71 Intermingle=nnọdukọta
72 Interrelation= mmekota/ anurikọta
73 Intramuscular= ngaimeurughuru
74 Intrauterine = ngaimeakpanwa
75 Introspection= ngabaimeuche
76  Introjection= ndọnauche
77 trilithic = eguzookwuteitọ
78 Palaeolithic= ogeokwuteochie
79 Mesolithic= ogeokwuteochie
80 Neolithic= ogeokwuteokuru
81 Multidisciplinary= otutunzaommumu
82 Musculocutaneous= urughuruenuahu
83 Penecontemporaneous=nsoomeme
84 ọfuziakuimeala= phanerocrystalline
85 photochemical = ngbawetaọku
86 photon= ibuọku
87 photonics= nzaibuọku
88 photography=eseọkuove
89 photocall=ọkpọeseọku
90 photojournalism=eseọkuọchuntaozi
91 photomontage= njikọeseọkuọ
92 photoreconnaissance= eseọkuọọbianecha
93 Chlorophyll= agbaakwukwo
94 Xanthophyll = agbaodoodo
95 mesophyll =etiti Akwukwo
 96 microphyll= nkponpkoakw ọ
97 sclerophyll =akwọsirike
98 pisciculture= omenalaazu
99 politico-economic= akunauba-ọchichi
100 politico-religious = okwukwe-ọchichi
101 politico-ethical = ọchichi- ezime
 102 politico-military =ochichi-aghadi
103 politico-legal = ochichi-iwu
104 politico-judicial=ochichi-ikpe
105 Preternatural = ngabigaodinandu
106 preterhuman= ngabigammadu
107  preterition= nnenefe
108 Pro-arsenal = makaarsenal
109 Pro-arsenal = makaarsenal
110 Propel= yaihu
111 Prostrate=ntufularii
112 Proceed=yajebe
113 Prospect= nnenebata
114 Scapulohumeral = agụbaubuọkpuelu
115 semi-professional (ọkachamara- ọkara), 116 semi-conscious (ọmara-ọkara), 117 semi-retired (ọlaghachiri-ọkara) 118 semi-literate (ọguru-ọkara),119 semi-skilled (Nzara-ọkara), 120 semi-derelict (Mmehie-ọkara), 121 semiprecious (ọmasita-ọkara),122 semiconducting (nbuje-ọkara)
123 Sino-Japanese= chini-japanizi
124 Chromosome= agbaozoahu
125 Philosophy = Mmasinzaelulo
126 family-style (mese-ezinulọ)
127 therianthropic =zizaanunammadu
128 theriomorphic =zizaanu
129 Phanerozoic = ọdoanyarab
130 Palaeozoic= gbogborab
131 Mesozoic= etitirab
132 Chiroptera - nkuụsụ
133 Coleoptera = nkuebe
134Diptera=nkuabua
135 Ephemeroptera= nkufezeze
136 Hemiptera= nkuokara
137 Heteroptera= nkudiche
138 Neuroptera=nkuakwara
139 Orthoptera=nkuologolo
140 Isoptera= nkunhata
141 Lepidoptera=nkuakpịrịkpa
142 Palaeontology= mmutamakagbogbo
143 Palaeoanthropology=ọmumumakammadugbo
144 mid-air= okaraikuku
145 Basidiocarp = ntoalaahuosi
146 Protease = nduanusi
147 Dactylomegaly = nnukwumpirisiaka
148 Hendecasyllable= iriotunkejiokwu
149 Heptathlon = asompiasaa
150 Heptahedron=ihuasaa
151 Bacteroides= njepekaziza
152 Antheridium = zizannunu
153 Antheridium = zizannunu
154 Pyxidium= zizaigbe
155 Rootlet (mgbọrọgwụnta), starlet (kpakpando),
156 Oviduct= ụzọakwa
157 Oviparous=mmuputasiteakwa
158 Ovoviviparous=osiimeakwa
159 Ovipositor=zizaakwa
160 Urodynamics = nzaikemmamiri
161 Classics = nzaakoochie
162 pre-arranged (tupundozie), 
163 pre-existing (tupundu), 
164 pre-ignition
165 pre-planned (tupuatumatu)
166 Chiroptera - nkuụsụ
167 Coleoptera = nkuebe
168 Diptera=nkuabua
169 Ephemeroptera= nkufezeze
170 Hemiptera= nkuokara
171 Heteroptera= nkudiche
172 Neuroptera=nkuakwara
173 Orthoptera=nkuologolo
174 Isoptera= nkunhata
175 Lepidoptera=nkuakpịrịkpa

Underclothes (uweokpuru), undercover (okpuchiokpuru), undergrowth (otookpuru), underpass (gafeokpuru), undernourished (okpuruorinni), underpopulated ( okpurummaduwo)
ugbowiri (turbo-) turbine
Carnivorous (orianu), incarnate (ọbiaranahu), reincarnation (ọbiagharianahu), carnal (ogboahu)
Detach (nsepuahiri), (derange (nsepummezi), decrease (nsepummuba), deodorize (nsepuisiọjọ), deflate (nsepuikuku), degenerate (nsepummuba)
Disallow (nsepukwere/ijuọnkwere)), dissuade (Nsepuọchọ), disconnect (nsepummekọ), disproportion (nsepunhara), disrespect (nsepunsọpuru), disarray (ndọwaunsoro)
Medieval (afọetiti) , eternal (afọakwusina)
transfuse (nyefekọta)
Genetics (nzaọbara), eugenics (mgbanweọjọ), genealogy (ahiriọmumu), generate (imuta), genetic (udiisi), antigen (ngbochiimuta), pathogen (ọkpataọria)
Gigabyte (ọdiijeri), gigaflop (nkpuruọsọijeri)

paraprofessional (ọkachamaraakuku) paraphrase (ideaghariokwu)
pathos (àgwànwute), sympathy (mmetutaebere), apathy (mmetuilu), telepathy (echichenefe)
Urge (nuuobi) compel (kwanihu), dispel, expel (ikwaputa), propel (iyanihu), impulse (nyaobi) compulsory (nmeriye/odiniwu), expulsion, repulsive (nnuujeazu)
Sequence (ahirinkpata), consequence (ọputanazu), sequel (ahiriome), subsequent (mmechaome), consecutive (nsorogaba)
Signal (ọkuakara) insignia (akaraime), significant (ezeakara)

Specimen (nkpurunkiri), spectator, speculate (nkiridinihu), inspect (nkiriime), respect (nkirianya), prospect (nkiriọma), retrospective (nkiriazu), introspective (nneneime), conspicuous (pụrụnkiri/nnene)
Stringent (nkekọkpuchi), strict, restrict (iragidenaja), constrict (gbagodeala), restrain (sereike) boa constrictor (agwọ- gbagodeulọvi)
paraprofessional (ọkachamaraakukul) paraphrase (ideaghariokwu
Rejuvenate (okorobịagharia)
Protection (nkpuchikọta)
arcane = mmutazoro
Hypoathroid= nkpokota
beatification= ndonangozi
rebellion = ikpoagha
cachexia= mmefuahu
intercalate= ifanyelarii
decalescence (nsedaọku),
eucalyptus= ntokpuchi
calyx = ikooma
incandescent = nzifeìhè
campaign (ojeubi)
Citation (nkpọrọta), cite (kpọmaka), solicit (ikpọenyenyemaka)
indelible = adinhicha
Eocene =ọwụwa anyanwụ
fumigate = igba anwụrụ ọkụ
adjutant - nzipuaka
deliquesce = horommiri
demeanour= ochionwe
commiseration (nbekorita/nwutekorita/ nkwakorita)
remonstrate (ngosiikpeike) from latin (monstrare
mundane= ogbouwa
panoptic= nkirinile
adjacent= nlaruakuku
decorum= mmaomume
impaction= npiakoime
peccadillo = mmehieo
impeccable = apurummehie
Polemic (aghaire), polemology (ntusisiagha)
prehension= ijichiime
pretermission= nhapugaba
deprivation = nsepuuru
protagonist= agwambu
approximate -okachanso
expurgate= nbechapu
antiarrhythmic,=ngbochinruba
arrhythmia= ajonruba
dysrhythmia= mmehienriba
robust = ikeiroko
rumination= ncheakpịrị
erudite= nguchichiakwo
corrugation=mmechiindoli
Saponification = mmeputancha
saxicavous= ohereputaokwute
scale= ububeibu
consociation=ìgwèkota
circumsolar= gburugburuanwu
batallion= ìgwèagha
surreptitious= okpuruanya
Imminent (nnupuugba)

Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 4:08am On Sep 03, 2015
Second batch of the 971 affixes. I can't upload them all at once because they surpass the allowed upload limit.

Re: Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar by scholti: 5:23am On Sep 03, 2015
This is the last batch of the 971 affixes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Short Story Of Tiv People / Serer People From Senegambia / Pls Teach Me Ishan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.